molo

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by molo »

Your pole, McNulty, is excellent.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:36 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 pm If that indeed proves to be an advantage for Loyola, it will be one of just a few. With a defense that was forced to play zone against good teams last year, the rebuilding Hounds have their work cut out for them against the reloading national champions. I don't envy Stover's replacement He's in for a baptism by fire.

You’re way underestimating our defense. 6 legit D1 starters to choose from.

PB next weekend is where the bet you made over the summer aho will come to fruition!

Are you still as confident that loyola beats Virginia now with all the reports coming out? I remember you saying “we’ll thrash Virginia and win the natty in 2020”
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:42 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 pm If that indeed proves to be an advantage for Loyola, it will be one of just a few. With a defense that was forced to play zone against good teams last year, the rebuilding Hounds have their work cut out for them against the reloading national champions. I don't envy Stover's replacement He's in for a baptism by fire.

PB next weekend is where the bet you made over the summer aho will come to fruition!

Are you still as confident that loyola beats Virginia now with all the reports coming out? I remember you saying “we’ll thrash Virginia and win the natty in 2020”

If the Hounds don’t beat UVA with the overpriced Hoos talent, I’m texting Charlie and suiting up for the next game. I don’t want to teach the Hounds about hunger and will, but I will if need be. Plus I hate losing bets. Let’s do this, boys!! Bring the heat!!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:46 pm

If the Hounds don’t beat UVA with the overpriced Hoos talent, I’m texting Charlie and suiting up for the next game. I don’t want to teach the Hounds about hunger and will, but I will if need be. Plus I hate losing bets. Let’s do this, boys!! Bring the heat!!
So in case an L does happen.... do you recant on your bet for the natty? Or will you then believe that the team learns from the potential L, and then still makes the tourney?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

The problem will be that the d will be on the field all game. I would put UVA’s conners on either lindley or Olmstead and lock them off and let the Loyola middies best you. And from what I saw at UMBC scrimmage it will be a long afternoon

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 pm

So in case an L does happen.... do you recant on your bet for the natty? Or will you then believe that the team learns from the potential L, and then still makes the tourney?

Do you and I cheer for the same team? C’mon, man, defeat isn’t in my vocabulary. Hounds gonna stick 20+ on that hungover preppy squad.
5FE49B86-0B19-4194-9282-A158D2C9E649.jpeg
5FE49B86-0B19-4194-9282-A158D2C9E649.jpeg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:31 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:49 pm

We do Cheer for the same team, but the reality principle is setting in. If you keep doing the same thing over and over and you get the same result that is insanity.

It is time to find a midfield that can control the ball, dodge and draw doubles and rotate the defense. We do not need bad shots, bad passes and unforced turnovers. And that is what we have seen in the first two scrimmages.

I would like to hear more about Richmond, the poster who said Kamish had three must have been there or has more info, was Richmond as doom and gloom as i heard?

I am hopeful for UVA but also a realist

Do you and I cheer for the same team? C’mon, man, defeat isn’t in my vocabulary. Hounds gonna stick 20+ on that hungover preppy squad.

5FE49B86-0B19-4194-9282-A158D2C9E649.jpeg
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Predicting long afternoon in Hooville next Saturday for season opener. Hounds not firing on all cylinders yet. Way too many turnovers. Not gonna be pretty. Calling it like I see it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:53 pm Predicting long afternoon in Hooville next Saturday for season opener. Hounds not firing on all cylinders yet. Way too many turnovers. Not gonna be pretty. Calling it like I see it.

I am collecting the receipts to come back here late Saturday afternoon and demand none of you be debbie downers ever again.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:55 pm
NovaHound wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:53 pm Predicting long afternoon in Hooville next Saturday for season opener. Hounds not firing on all cylinders yet. Way too many turnovers. Not gonna be pretty. Calling it like I see it.

I am collecting the receipts to come back here late Saturday afternoon and demand none of you be debbie downers ever again.
I hope you are correct and will be more than happy to have you win the bet. :D
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I really really hope that you’re right for Saturday PB...
Let’s compare units, I believe UVA has the better attack, and goalie. But i think our defense (both SSDM and close) is slightly better
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Let’s compare units, I believe UVA has the better attack, and goalie. But i think our defense (both SSDM and close) is slightly better

Attack - UVA
Rope Unit - Loyola
Close D - Even
Middies - UVA

Score prediction: UVA 18 Loyola 7. PB i hope i am wrong

I just dont see us generating any offense. Just because you are big or fast does not equate into a good lacrosse players. We have seen and heard that our middie lines are in disarray. Swindell, Wigley and ..... Deveraux? James, Bateman, Cain, Hueston? What remaining middies will step up and be a consistent contributor. IMO these are your creators, not your scorers, leave that to Olmstead, Lindley and Kamish ( just dont see Pridemore there yet)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:52 am

Attack - UVA
Rope Unit - Loyola
Close D - Even
Middies - UVA

I just dont see us generating any offense. Just because you are big or fast does not equate into a good lacrosse players. We have seen and heard that our middie lines are in disarray. Swindell, Wigley and ..... Deveraux? James, Bateman, Cain, Hueston? What remaining middies will step up and be a consistent contributor. IMO these are your creators, not your scorers, leave that to Olmstead, Lindley and Kamish ( just dont see Pridemore there yet)
Don't forget that Wigley is injured.. which means the others have to really step up and produce. first midfield might be Swindell, Deveraux, Cox. 2nd midfield could be Bateman, and then a bunch of freshmen. Not too much speed there, more of finishers and step down shooters.

Speed really only matters in just beating the defender to then draw a slide to pass out. So if we have fast middies to create scoring chances then so be it. Obviously they can't have bad passes when this happens because UVA will make Loyola pay
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Matchups of units matter moreso than direct comparisons.
Attack edge UVA, but Lindley and Olmstead could take advantage of UVA inexperienced frosh.
Close edge Loyola, a growing strength that wont stop UVA attack but could contain. PUSH

MID edge UVA, missing Conrad but still have Aiken and may be deeper in scoring .
Rope edge UVA, better defensively, more aggressive and physical, Loyola mids still developing . UVA

FOGO , even , two very good fogos, would expect them to more or less split. PUSH

G, ?? know nothing about L goalie. Rode can be very good at times, loose at times . UVA

Spencer hof abilities would swing, Stover could steal game.
Good luck but dont see Hounds beating UVA this year unless attack takes full advantage and your new goalie plays really well
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:29 am

Attack - UVA
Rope Unit - Loyola
Close D - Even
Middies - UVA

Don't forget that Wigley is injured.. which means the others have to really step up and produce. first midfield might be Swindell, Deveraux, Cox. 2nd midfield could be Bateman, and then a bunch of freshmen. Not too much speed there, more of finishers and step down shooters.

Speed really only matters in just beating the defender to then draw a slide to pass out. So if we have fast middies to create scoring chances then so be it. Obviously they can't have bad passes when this happens because UVA will make Loyola pay
I did hear Wigley is back and practicing, Cox has just not developed into a whole lacrosse player. Speed is great if you have stick skills, Most of the Freshman if see do not attack, they dodge the alley and avoid the contact and do not draw the doubles. Maybe that will come with expereince. But as i have harped on you cannot turn the ball over. Unforced turnovers will kill you. Shots at the goalies stick, IMO is a turnover

I believe PB said it, this team needs to be a transition team, that can run, control the stick, rotate the D and feed. If the ball is in your stick for more than 2 seconds, game over
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

I agree with Loyola11 that shots that the goalie catches are turnovers. Is Seay not in the mix anymore?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 am
houndace1 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:29 am

Attack - UVA
Rope Unit - Loyola
Close D - Even
Middies - UVA

I did hear Wigley is back and practicing, Cox has just not developed into a whole lacrosse player. Speed is great if you have stick skills, Most of the Freshman if see do not attack, they dodge the alley and avoid the contact and do not draw the doubles. Maybe that will come with expereince. But as i have harped on you cannot turn the ball over. Unforced turnovers will kill you. Shots at the goalies stick, IMO is a turnover

I believe PB said it, this team needs to be a transition team, that can run, control the stick, rotate the D and feed. If the ball is in your stick for more than 2 seconds, game over
The thing that piques my interest is that Toomey said in multiple interviews and quotes from podcasts that he will put his rope unit as the best against any in the country... and that Olmstead will be a fantastic player this year. He's even harped that they're getting back to the transition play they had in 2012. Obviously the coaching staff knows more about these guys than we do, but maybe they really could pull of an upset win this season against contenders
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

bam1972 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:52 am I agree with Loyola11 that shots that the goalie catches are turnovers. Is Seay not in the mix anymore?
Forgot about Seay, he should be in the mix
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 am Matchups of units matter moreso than direct comparisons.
Attack edge UVA, but Lindley and Olmstead could take advantage of UVA inexperienced frosh.
Close edge Loyola, a growing strength that wont stop UVA attack but could contain. PUSH

MID edge UVA, missing Conrad but still have Aiken and may be deeper in scoring .
Rope edge UVA, better defensively, more aggressive and physical, Loyola mids still developing . UVA

FOGO , even , two very good fogos, would expect them to more or less split. PUSH

G, ?? know nothing about L goalie. Rode can be very good at times, loose at times . UVA

Spencer hof abilities would swing, Stover could steal game.
Good luck but dont see Hounds beating UVA this year unless attack takes full advantage and your new goalie plays really well

You're combining defense and attack as one unit, which I understand, but I'd rather draw those distinctions out out way more.

Loyola's defense is much better than UVA's.

Loyola's attack is the equal if not more so than UVA's.

FOGO: I agree, a split.

LSM's: Loyola (McNulty 1st team AA this year)

SSDM's: Loyola

Middies: UVA, strictly because of Aitken

GK: edge to UVA if Rode shows up (which is no guarantee)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

loyola11 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 am I believe PB said it, this team needs to be a transition team, that can run, control the stick, rotate the D and feed. If the ball is in your stick for more than 2 seconds, game over

Run and gun...no Pat for settled offense, so let the boys wheel and deal (we have a ton of speed). We will get the ball a lot in transition (McNulty especially)...I'd let Olmstead and Lindley create, even if the numbers aren't on their side.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”