VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: VIRGINIA LACROSSE 2020

Post by molo »

Couldn't agree more with BA. They improved as the year progressed and had--and I believe still have--an extremely athletic roster in an era where the shot clock rewards the physically superior teams.
molo

Post by molo »

Could someone who has seen Cormier help me? Is he potentially as good as Jesse King or at least a fair imitation of Brent Noseworthy? The former, a Buckeye, is on my short list of the best players of all time never to have been named first team AA. The latter, another tall Canadian lefty, impressed me the few times I saw him play for Michigan.
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm I would disagree on RS but I would understand it. Connor did not re-classify at any point so he is a true first year (in UVA parlance) by age too.
I have no idea whether or not the kid reclassed but he is like a year older than most freshmen. In lacrosse I think more kids should get redshirted (not like they care that they’re losing prime years of compensation, a real concern for athletes in revenue sports) but I don’t think a ton of guys want to still be playing in college at 23-24. I’m almost positive he was too old for U-19s and the cutoff is pretty generous for ‘19 players
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I know when he started first grade, he graduated from STAB 12 years later.
lilax

Post by lilax »

molo wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:50 pm Could someone who has seen Cormier help me? Is he potentially as good as Jesse King or at least a fair imitation of Brent Noseworthy? The former, a Buckeye, is on my short list of the best players of all time never to have been named first team AA. The latter, another tall Canadian lefty, impressed me the few times I saw him play for Michigan.
I saw him a couple years ago when he was playing with Edge.

He reminded me a lot of Chris Cloutier from UNC, big body Canadian lefty. Can run through any stick checks and finishes to the front of the cage.

I can see him playing a similar role to Herring last year coming out of the box and playing down low as that attack/midfielder role. If thats the case, he'll be a total mismatch for SSDMs.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Lax1 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:17 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm I would disagree on RS but I would understand it. Connor did not re-classify at any point so he is a true first year (in UVA parlance) by age too.
I have no idea whether or not the kid reclassed but he is like a year older than most freshmen. In lacrosse I think more kids should get redshirted (not like they care that they’re losing prime years of compensation, a real concern for athletes in revenue sports) but I don’t think a ton of guys want to still be playing in college at 23-24. I’m almost positive he was too old for U-19s and the cutoff is pretty generous for ‘19 players
He'll be twenty in a month, birthdate listed as 3/01/2000
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:03 am
Sorry, this listed birthdate is Payton Cormier
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

blue angels wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:10 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:35 pm UVA is good. Undeniably. And... It surprises me that so many people have them as #1. Being National Champions aside, based solely on a side-by-side evaluation, people were not hot on UVA last season. Even during their National Championship run, people did not get on the bus. There was a point last season where FanLax's Computer Ranking had UVA at #1 and people went bananas. (In the name of accuracy, most of the banana-going was outside of FanLax within other social media outlets.) Setting the trophy aside, people do not regard UVA highly. I guess it's hard to set the trophy aside...
I am not sure, who, if any of the other top ranked teams returns as much as Virginia does?. Virginia got hot at the right time and surely got fortunate but they still had to beat a bunch of great teams and did. Virginia last February bore little resemblance to Virginia on Memorial Day.Were they the Nation's most improved team over the course of the season? Did you watch the Yale Game? It was a complete physical beat down so disrespect the Hoos at your own risk. Yale got manhandled.
UVA may have peaked at the right time however there is good reason to believe their ascension will continue this year as the teachings are now imbedded in their returning cast
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Any feedback on today's scrimmages would be greatly appreciated.
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:05 am
who really cares how old any of them are. Some kids did young 5’s, some got held back in kindergarten for reasons that had nothing to do with sports.

Many of those kids turned 19 in March, April, May of their graduating year that never played a sport in their life, or played sports but was not going to play in College. I know that was me and a bunch of my friends a very omg time ago.

Then you have the whole reclass and PG debate. The bottom line is that kids are able to do this. And it is happening a ton all over the place. In fact it is so common now, that it’s not that a kid is getting a sneaky advantage, but many kids are just trying to stay in line with other kids that are doing the same thing. You almost can’t go to a Hill Academy, Culver, IMG, New England 1 school and so forth and not reclassify. Not to mention many of the private schools in Baltimore, LI, and so forth that have kids doing a 6,7,or 8th grade over before going the am MIAA school. Oh, and by the way, every kid/family has the option to do this if their son has talent. If he doesn’t have talent, then it doesn’t matter anyway. Oh, and don’t say that most kids can’t do it because if cost. Most of the kids that do it are given very nice scholarships so they are able to go.

By the way, I don’t like the fact that this is an option and wish some kind of rule change would happen so it’s not an option. But not by age. There are many kids that are old for their age because of things when they were very young that has nothing to do with sports at the time. Not fair to punish those kids. But whether I agree or not, everyone is playing under the same rules, and the kids and families that decide to reclass are not doing anything wrong. So why do we try to point out a kids age? To try and suggest that the only reason a 20 year old college freshman is playing and their 18 year old kid is not is because of the kids age? Lol. Then I guess you should have reclassify your kid. But my guess is that is not why the 20 year old PG is playing and your little Johnny is not. So to the kid that did not reclass and is an 18 year old freshman at college playing lacrosse, cool, you were good enough not to need too to get where you wanted to go and reclassify was not right for you, and you might have been better than the reclassify kid in 8th grade. Congrats. And....?
Ok. I’m done.

Sorry, this listed birthdate is Payton Cormier
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

bam1972 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 pm
who really cares how old any of them are. Some kids did young 5’s, some got held back in kindergarten for reasons that had nothing to do with sports.

Many of those kids turned 19 in March, April, May of their graduating year that never played a sport in their life, or played sports but was not going to play in College. I know that was me and a bunch of my friends a very omg time ago.

Then you have the whole reclass and PG debate. The bottom line is that kids are able to do this. And it is happening a ton all over the place. In fact it is so common now, that it’s not that a kid is getting a sneaky advantage, but many kids are just trying to stay in line with other kids that are doing the same thing. You almost can’t go to a Hill Academy, Culver, IMG, New England 1 school and so forth and not reclassify. Not to mention many of the private schools in Baltimore, LI, and so forth that have kids doing a 6,7,or 8th grade over before going the am MIAA school. Oh, and by the way, every kid/family has the option to do this if their son has talent. If he doesn’t have talent, then it doesn’t matter anyway. Oh, and don’t say that most kids can’t do it because if cost. Most of the kids that do it are given very nice scholarships so they are able to go.

By the way, I don’t like the fact that this is an option and wish some kind of rule change would happen so it’s not an option. But not by age. There are many kids that are old for their age because of things when they were very young that has nothing to do with sports at the time. Not fair to punish those kids. But whether I agree or not, everyone is playing under the same rules, and the kids and families that decide to reclass are not doing anything wrong. So why do we try to point out a kids age? To try and suggest that the only reason a 20 year old college freshman is playing and their 18 year old kid is not is because of the kids age? Lol. Then I guess you should have reclassify your kid. But my guess is that is not why the 20 year old PG is playing and your little Johnny is not. So to the kid that did not reclass and is an 18 year old freshman at college playing lacrosse, cool, you were good enough not to need too to get where you wanted to go and reclassify was not right for you, and you might have been better than the reclassify kid in 8th grade. Congrats. And....?
Ok. I’m done.

Wasn’t complaining or trying to call the kid out or anything. I’ve complained to my parents a bunch of times that they should’ve started me in kindergarten a year later. I think it’s better for social development and a bunch of stuff like that. I was just responding to someone’s claim that he was “a true first year by age” which he really isn’t. Just because he didn’t reclassify, doesn’t make him the normal age for his grade. In this case, I’m pretty sure he would be on the older side for a sophomore. Nothing wrong with that, was just pointing out the inaccuracy of calling him freshman age
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:20 am Any feedback on today's scrimmages would be greatly appreciated.
The apparently incorrect debate about Shellenberger having been held back for a late birthday harkens back to the hater posts on the Virgina thread from Laxpower. Moving on.......It is only a scrimmage but Terry Foy at IL reported it was 13-1 at the end of the half and Virginia still hit 3 or 4 pipes. 1st years, Matsui and Bower started at close D so it sounds like Saustad may not be healthy yet. Towson is traditionally a very legit D1 program but no idea what they have this year. Foy, described Virginia's offense after the game as " Virginia's offense is a blunt instrument traveling at great force"
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

Lax1 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:15 pm
bam1972 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 pm

Ok. I’m done.

Wasn’t complaining or trying to call the kid out or anything. I’ve complained to my parents a bunch of times that they should’ve started me in kindergarten a year later. I think it’s better for social development and a bunch of stuff like that. I was just responding to someone’s claim that he was “a true first year by age” which he really isn’t. Just because he didn’t reclassify, doesn’t make him the normal age for his grade. In this case, I’m pretty sure he would be on the older side for a sophomore. Nothing wrong with that, was just pointing out the inaccuracy of calling him freshman age
lol, but if he is a true freshman, and never took a PG or reclass year specifically for lacrosse. That means he is a true freshman. So why point out his age? It wasn't the reason your giving. So don't play it off like that. Keep it real.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:20 am Any feedback on today's scrimmages would be greatly appreciated.
Per postings on The Sabre, UVa beat Towson 19-8 after leading 13-1 at the half. Per a Tweeter at the game, Kraus had 4 goals, LaSalla was 8-9 at the X, with UVa winning 20-29 FOs overall. He described the UVa offense as "a blunt instrument traveling at great force."
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
molo

Post by molo »

It's early, and this was only a scrimmage, but the doubters on another forum notwithstanding, I think this year's offense will be better than last year's.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Wonderful memorial service for Coach Ace Adams today. JHU, West Point, UPenn, UVA former players and coaches in attendance. Dom Starsia, among many others, gave a great tribute. A true lacrosse legend, great gentleman, patriot and family man.

RIP Ace.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

More specifically, any info on the Hobart scrimmages?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

More specifically, any info on the Hobart scrimmages?
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Twitter says Hobart 10-7.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Starters in all scrimmage ?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”