Hobart 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ketch

Re: Hobart 2020

Post by Ketch »

Scroll down for another All-CNY Football Team recruit, this time from the large schools. Looks like maybe we've opened up the West Genny pipeline again https://www.syracuse.com/sports/g66l-20 ... hools.html
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Just saw that Gate is coming down here to FL to take on JAX in Tallahassee next week. Wish I lived a little closer to scout the Raiders out a bit.

BTW - does anyone know what the deal is w/ the 2/1 scrimmage on the 2020 schedule that's still TBA?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

2/1 scrimmage is set and it's a great way to see what we have against 2 top teams. First scrimmage is at 1 PM against 2019 national champion Virginia at Towson. At 3 PM we faceoff against Towson. I'm glad we are getting the chance to see where we stand in terms of early season preparation. Yes they are only scrimmages but, it is good for the team to see what it takes to be a top team.
Last edited by oldbartman on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Just saw the official schedule release.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Those scrimmages will be interesting. Hard to not be a little cautiously optimistic. No doubt losing Ped, Stanny and Aslanian is tough, I’d argue Gilbertson the biggest hole to fill, hoping Sherman is healthy to start season. But...we really do return a lot from: six (6) double digit scorers, all but one above 30pts last year (Mott at 25), a goalie who started last year basically last two years in Luccesi, (Based on roster position listing): all three close d starters in Christiansen (NEC ROY), Delpha (2x JuCO AA DPOY), and Mueller who IMO is the best defenseman of healthy we’ve had at the D1 level including MCCarthy, Austin Gardner, Mike O’Brien, etc. ton of experience long sticks like Dan Ryan (Hs AA), EBF (HS AA NE West), Synnott, Nick Paris, Kyle Nalen, Frank Imburgia & Eoin Hurley. Even losing Birch and Pinillis we have a lot of underclass midfielders. Madonna is the star but Simas has potential, Yanko was out of his mind in canadian box this summer, I’m still optimistic Mitrow becomes a new Sean Murphy/Smalley/Kevin Murphy type two way dog. There’s plenty of credentialed Fo guys one the roster.

Not a ton of pub on this FR class but I’m guessing there’s a couple who’ll contribute immediately. Barthelme is from MIAA and switched from Air Force, Romm was a Bucknell commit, Herlihy/Davis/Baltzer/Grooms should give us something and two AA D/LSMs in Trujillo and Horton.

Plus this may not be universally Agreed upon but I think Brundage will provide an upgrade in game calling and rotation use from Poillon.

Same basic schedule which was acknowledged last year to not be that strong, maybe Colgate/Binghamton will have better years but returning what we have should get us no worse than 3-3 non conf (don’t seem at Bonny on schedule right now) unlikely better than 4-2 unless we pull a fast one on Cornell or Cuse. SHU and MsM will probably be down from last year. SJoes better, Bryant hard to say- Pressler will have them hanging tough but don’t think he’s recruited as well last 2-3yrs aa earlier in decade. RoMo should be about the same- banging around the 15-35 area. Hard to see more than 2 conf losses reg season.

All that and it seems like the band is (based on 13 games unless the one isn’t on yet) 8-5 to 10-3 more or less, taking nothing for granted. Aside from winning NEC, would 9-4 w losses to Cuse, Cornell maybe SJU and RoMo and then split in conf playoffs and get to 10-5 be a success? Back to back double digit if undistinguished will probably build some external notice with next years class that is looking as highly acclaimed as any since at least the 2013 on IL ranked.

A lot to be optimistic about but ? at fo/SSdM can lose a couple of games if not solved early. Interested to have Cuse early this year
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I heard Blanchard is healthy and performing well at FO. Even better, there are some Fr and So chasing him. And I heard Ryan is working a pole FO if we need it. Lots of depth in that area.
I think SSDM will be key, but also heard Sherman is good to go. Not sure about depth in that area.
Mueller is good to go, but I do worry about injuries.
I've heard the players like the Brundage system. They had no probs with Poillon ... liked him a lot ... but the change feels good from what I can gather. I expect a quick O with a box flavor and plenty of movement. I'd like us to face a tough zone early so we can get a jump on solving it this year. If Madonna is healthy, that opens up great outside opportunities.
Lots to look forward to.
Rikishi

Post by Rikishi »

Nice to see the team is able to keep this day of scrimmages at Towson. The competition keeps getting better and better — reflects well on the program.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not that important in the end and kids drop off every year but anyone happen to know the stories behind the loss/changes with respect to commits Warm Carter (now going to MSM), Ricky Hoover (AA middie from Whaton IL) and Sam Miller (Geneva Hs, once highly regarded as HS underclass, now at St John Fisher from what I hear)?

Know scrimmages (in theory) don’t matter but really hope that everyone comes out firing and bouncy next weekend vs Mich and Following weekend vs Towson and UVA. Seems like poor scrimmage showings often have foreshadowed mediocre or worse seasons (on a relative basis) and while unknown it was choppy was very pleased to hear we held up pretty well vs Rutgers and UMass in the fall.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

While it's just one person's "Bold predictions for 2020", it is a) nice to see the team get some recognition, and b) puts some presure on our offense to deliver. I hope they can. Thanks U.S. Lacrosse Magazine! Hobart is prediction #5.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... 020-season
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pressure is on Brundage to extract the most out of the offense as much as the players. I like it, will require some modest success at FO which we have the personnel
For but a bit unproven
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Looking forward to high scoring, but I want to see it against different defensive systems. Also, and this is on coaches, I want to see a team that plays 4 full quarters. No slow starts or 3rd quarter letdowns. Let the games begin!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm Looking forward to high scoring, but I want to see it against different defensive systems. Also, and this is on coaches, I want to see a team that plays 4 full quarters. No slow starts or 3rd quarter letdowns. Let the games begin!
Our worst quarter letdowns were in the 4th Q. Both RMU games and also against SHU. With a new OC, I hope we can learn how to bust a zone D. That has been a weakness for the past couple of year. The last time we were able to bust a zone was when Tanner John was firing cannon shots from up top. Derek Madonna has developed a good outside shot. We need another to join him.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Yes, 4th q has been a problem, but I always thought that was a coaching decision to play conservatively that backfired. IMO, the biggest 3rd q. Letdown was SU last year.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 am Yes, 4th q has been a problem, but I always thought that was a coaching decision to play conservatively that backfired. IMO, the biggest 3rd q. Letdown was SU last year.
Letdown is being nice. Cuse roasted us. That was some terrible lax by the Statesmen. SU's midfield will be hard to stop this season. We need some new bodies to step up at SSDM if we don't want a repeat The loss to RMU in the NEC finals stung more for me. Interesting side note. Colgate, Canisius and Binghamton are scrimmaging at Hobart on Sunday. I'm ssuming they will be using the bubble. It gives our coaches an (very) early look at 3 of this season's opponents. Hopefully someone will attend tomorrows scrimmage and give us a full synopsis.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

6 to 9 Mich at half. We dominated q1, but they thrashed us q2. Lots to be happy about, but several concerns too, esp on D. I am not concerned about FO at all. We are winning most takes, though wing play has lost us the ball a few times. My concern is close D. We are not picking up the cutters on the crease. Having said that, we are almost there ... but that is where they've been scoring. I dont know numbers, so I cant tell who is out there. Not sure I see Mueller.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Mich 11 Hobart 10. Teams even, though we did better on FO and GB. But we also turned it. Over too much on poor passes. In the first qI was impressed with the speed of passing and decision making. Hate to say it, but q 2 seemed flat, as if Mich turned a couple of quick points into a letdown that lasted the quarter. Our D tightened up in the 2nd half and the man down held up well. Coaches got new faces in there in the 4th. I'd say the scrimmage was basically even, with Hob showing more room for greater improvement.
In the second half we started taking some poor shots and getting more conservative with the ball ... I was really impressed with the potential at FO. Clears were solid. Couldn't tell who was ssdm. Rides also good, producing at least 2 clearing violations.
Anyone else go? I'm wondering if I saw the same things
OldOrange

Post by OldOrange »

Nice write up on the scrimmage. Thanks for that. Don't know who's facing off for Michigan but last season they only won 32.4% of their face-offs,so take any success there with a grain of salt. Replacing Pedicine is going to be tough. Good luck on the season.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

I’m at a national Football Foundation dinner for CNY. Zachary Delaney from Onondaga HS is being honored. Seems like a great kid.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Big day Saturday 2/1, any updates on injuries etc... who's ready and who's not?
I heard Lucchesi , Sherman and Mueller were among the DNP's last week?
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

kmartin wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:32 pm I’m at a national Football Foundation dinner for CNY. Zachary Delaney from Onondaga HS is being honored. Seems like a great kid.
I'm assuming that the Onondaga H.S. lacrosse players will be playing together with Lafayette again this coming spring. Try to catch a game if you can. Their lacrosse is outstanding and it's amazing how much they can get out of a short bench. State title again or bust.
Last edited by Ketch on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”