Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
loyola11

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:05 pm
loyola11 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:40 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 pm how was the scrimmage?? I saw 3 goals scored in 3 clips on their Instagram stories with some nice alley dodges and quick sticks

Very Sloppy, if keeping score, 13-8... I would say at least 10 turn overs.

Attack: Lindley and Olmstead looked good, tried to do too much. Good competition between Pridmore kamish and Raba for the third spot.

Defense looked good. Shafer looked good.

FO Bailey was 50/50

Middies, Need to figure it out. Starters was Hueston, Swindell and Seay.... Hueston so poor decisions and turnovers. Bateman had a couple, had a nice step down... Van arsdale needs to figure this out.

It will be a long season if they play this way, could go 1-4 first five games, and will struggle in patriot league play. Sorry Peter not the optimist as you are

hmmmm, then why not throw in Pacheco to test on Faceoffs?

If middies were doing poorly then maybe switch the lineups. Where was Wigley, Cox, Devereaux? I saw Evan James alley dodge and feed pridemore for a quick stick at the crease. Any notes for them?
Wigley Hurt, cox and devereaux not much play time, did not do much when in. Pacheco did do some face offs, was ok. Pridemore looked good, needs to be able to do a better job riding. Evan James, average.

Not much excitement at the scrimmage, Just as i said lots of turnovers. looks like they are putting all their faith in swindell, seay and hueston.... IMO not a good move from what i saw
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

loyola11 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:40 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 pm how was the scrimmage?? I saw 3 goals scored in 3 clips on their Instagram stories with some nice alley dodges and quick sticks

Very Sloppy, if keeping score, 13-8... I would say at least 10 turn overs.

Attack: Lindley and Olmstead looked good, tried to do too much. Good competition between Pridmore kamish and Raba for the third spot.

Defense looked good. Shafer looked good.

FO Bailey was 50/50

Middies, Need to figure it out. Starters was Hueston, Swindell and Seay.... Hueston so poor decisions and turnovers. Bateman had a couple, had a nice step down... Van arsdale needs to figure this out.

It will be a long season if they play this way, could go 1-4 first five games, and will struggle in patriot league play. Sorry Peter not the optimist as you are

Marquette's FOGO is good...one of their bright spots last year and you have to assume he has improved, as has Bailey. Marquette is good, folks; don't underestimate them. I love that we play a scrimmage against these kids; they are gritty

That said, it is a scrimmage...coaches are sorting out lines and starters. As long as our Defense, SSDM's and LSM's are elite (and they are), this team will be fine. Toomey has to emphasize transition offense this year...we will get a ton of fast breaks...use that to our advantage. Settled offense is not gonna be like last year. I'd run and gun this year.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Yo PB. I'm assuming UMBC autocorrected to Marquette or that was the name of their FOGO. Anyway - I knew what you were trying to say. UMBC played hard and with a lot of energy. Heck, even their poles all ran down the field to congratulate their player who just scored. Typical scrimmage - sloppy, lots of new faces in the lineup. Only 1 or 2 penalties called and one was on Loyola 1 minute not releasable and Terriers scored 2 goals from that.

Defense looked fine - didn't let UMBC get too many shots off, and many with clock running down. Yeah - McNulty is not afraid to shoot and it will happen a lot this year. The defense can push it.

Goalies played well and it is an adjustment after Stover. Teitlebaum got some time in cage. Got rocked early, man down I think, and then settled down and had some nice saves. I liked Shaffer's outlet passes.

Thought Milhouse had play of the day with the Superman leap and goal.

Savio has some relief. Thought we did ok on face/offs. Probably 50/50?

Offensively - just a different dynamic without Spencer and everyone knows they have to step up and make something happen. They will.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am Yo PB. I'm assuming UMBC autocorrected to Marquette or that was the name of their FOGO. Anyway - I knew what you were trying to say. UMBC played hard and with a lot of energy. Heck, even their poles all ran down the field to congratulate their player who just scored. Typical scrimmage - sloppy, lots of new faces in the lineup. Only 1 or 2 penalties called and one was on Loyola 1 minute not releasable and Terriers scored 2 goals from that.

Defense looked fine - didn't let UMBC get too many shots off, and many with clock running down. Yeah - McNulty is not afraid to shoot and it will happen a lot this year. The defense can push it.

Goalies played well and it is an adjustment after Stover. Teitlebaum got some time in cage. Got rocked early, man down I think, and then settled down and had some nice saves. I liked Shaffer's outlet passes.

Thought Milhouse had play of the day with the Superman leap and goal.

Savio has some relief. Thought we did ok on face/offs. Probably 50/50?

Offensively - just a different dynamic without Spencer and everyone knows they have to step up and make something happen. They will.
How did Millhouse look besides that play? Does it look like his stick skills improved, he can be a great two way middie. His speed and acceleration is incredible
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

So just to clarify the score was 13-8 in favor of Loyola right? Because if so that's nothing to worry about but the other way is a bit of a problem. UMBC isn't a bad team that should be getting beat by 15, but also not good enough that losing is a good sign.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Gonna post this and take a break for awhile.

Milhouse will be fine - he got a LOT of play time, maybe because Swindell is playing on first Mid Line.

Hard to judge this scrimmage vis-a-vis regular season because lots of new faces got in to see how they played and reacted. UMBC probably played a little harder as a typical underdog might, and UMBC generally has a stingy defense. Wishing them the best this season.

Hounds can still pass inside and shoot. Some poor shooting decisions outside but some good ones too. Bateman could be a factor.

Hounds will have a really good look when April/May rolls around. Not sure what will happen in Feb/March. Tough match-ups. Will know more after the Duke game.

All in all not a bad first showing but wish it could have been a little better.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

In recruiting news, I saw on twitter that we got another verbal 2021 commit in Jacob Sullivan out of Kennebunk HS in Maine. Plays club for NH Tomahawks. 5 ft 11 midfielder who looks like a decent two way guy with a nice sidearm shot.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:22 pm Gonna post this and take a break for awhile.

Milhouse will be fine - he got a LOT of play time, maybe because Swindell is playing on first Mid Line.

Hard to judge this scrimmage vis-a-vis regular season because lots of new faces got in to see how they played and reacted. UMBC probably played a little harder as a typical underdog might, and UMBC generally has a stingy defense. Wishing them the best this season.

Hounds can still pass inside and shoot. Some poor shooting decisions outside but some good ones too. Bateman could be a factor.

Hounds will have a really good look when April/May rolls around. Not sure what will happen in Feb/March. Tough match-ups. Will know more after the Duke game.

The problems that i saw were the unforced turnovers, bad passes, the gumball shots to the goalies chest and the shots that missed the cage by 4-6 feet. Those mention above lead to goals vs UVA, Hopkins, Duke etc... but also against Lehigh, Army, Navy Bucknell in thet post Spencer era, they believe they have a shot at the hounds.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

loyola11 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 am
NovaHound wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:22 pm Gonna post this and take a break for awhile.

The problems that i saw were the unforced turnovers, bad passes, the gumball shots to the goalies chest and the shots that missed the cage by 4-6 feet. Those mention above lead to goals vs UVA, Hopkins, Duke etc... but also against Lehigh, Army, Navy Bucknell in thet post Spencer era, they believe they have a shot at the hounds.
I don't disagree Loyola 11. Sloppy. And I suspect those are the teaching moments the Coaches will likely work on during the game film review. A lot of work to be done between now and UVA.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

on a team note, they have at least 3 seniors as captains for the 2020 season. The men that were elected as captains are: Peter Swindell, Ryan McNulty and Matt Higgins
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The first scrimmage out is always an important one. The Hounds did a nice job of learning on the fly and seeing who stepped up. The good news is we had a lot of guys flash. Now for the consistency part and cutting down on the unforced errors. That usually happens when running lines get figured out.
Richmond will be another good step in the process. This season will be a fun journey. There are some very good pieces on this team. Totally excited to see the new faces get a chance. I think overall this will be a fun year.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:22 am on a team note, they have at least 3 seniors as captains for the 2020 season. The men that were elected as captains are: Peter Swindell, Ryan McNulty and Matt Higgins
Outstanding your men and leaders on and off the field. Well deserved.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:25 am The first scrimmage out is always an important one. The Hounds did a nice job of learning on the fly and seeing who stepped up. The good news is we had a lot of guys flash. Now for the consistency part and cutting down on the unforced errors. That usually happens when running lines get figured out.
Richmond will be another good step in the process. This season will be a fun journey. There are some very good pieces on this team. Totally excited to see the new faces get a chance. I think overall this will be a fun year.
RIchmond is always a tough test, Chemotti has done an excellent job considering they've only been a D1 program for the psat 5-6 years.

Getting notes on the scrimmage will be hard given that its at Richmond, and people will obviously have to drive out there to make it
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:25 am The first scrimmage out is always an important one. The Hounds did a nice job of learning on the fly and seeing who stepped up. The good news is we had a lot of guys flash. Now for the consistency part and cutting down on the unforced errors. That usually happens when running lines get figured out.
I would agree, it may take a couple of games to figure out the middie lines, i would say there is 7-8 middies that can play and it may change game to game based on offensive strategy
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:45 am
I would agree, it may take a couple of games to figure out the middie lines, i would say there is 7-8 middies that can play and it may change game to game based on offensive strategy
if there really are 7-9 middies that could play, we could just end up like Maryland in 2016 and 2017 who i believed ran 3 different midfield lines every game because they were all solid contributors. Maybe this could be the case for us? Who says we have to limit the amount of middies we have playing each game to only 2 lines
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxfan#44

Post by laxfan#44 »

Lots of firepower lost from last year...

It's gonna be interesting to see which upper classman step up to fill in voids early...as the season moves forward, look for a few of the freshman to start to take on larger roles...guys your seeing the staff run in the fall and now...guys like Poitras, James, and Kamish...

Poitras is from the Hill and is gonna be a very nice player, has great pedigree, and will see time IMO

James was the player of the year in Ohio, and led his team to the top level state title...he has game

Kamish is in a battle for the third attack spot. Like James, he was the player of the year in his state, won a state title and is one of the all time leading scorers in Michigan history...while young, he's a smooth ball carrier with very good feet and good size

Other guys will step up as well...for sure

Should be interesting
loyolapride2015

Post by loyolapride2015 »

My take on Loyola scrimmage. Overall i did’t notice to much from frosh group. i’m hearing a lot about them from different post but you’re still freshman and Will struggle. It is not that they are not bad they didn’t do much for all the hype. They are trying lot of combinations at midfield but no one was super impressive and they turned the ball over a good amount. James, Hueston, and Seay all ok but they need a lot more development. Poitras was injured so I didn’t see him play. I would say they are all solid but no real superstars. Definitely no all Americans this year for the hounds at midfield. As a team they are surprisingly not a very good passing team. They threw the ball away a lot! I am extremely concerned how they will match up UVAm based on what I saw. Being young and inexperienced is not a great combo. If you add turning ball over it will be a nightmare for the Hounds. On Attack , Olmstead and Lindley are still the keys to offense. Lindley is always open and is very quick but does struggle carrying the ball and feeding is poor. Olmstead can definitely get to the cage but also thrown some questionable feeds and will turn it over. Kamish started inn3rd spot and is solid but can’t seem to hit the cage. He seems to be dodge to score type of attackmen and needs lot of development. Pridmore seems to be off ball player is solid but they need him to carry the load more and create offense because it all can’t be on Olmstead. He did have a nice quick stick goal in 2nd quarter. If he can’t force off ball defenders to slide to him so that is a going to be a problem. Raba got in late in 3rd and had a goal. i though he would be more in mix but maybe not this year. Jack Griffin came in in 4th and was solid. The 3rd spot on attack is a concern at this point and very much a question mark. On a positive note the Hounds defense looked pretty good and are well organized. Shafer was very solid in goal and FO unit very solid. It looks like Toomey is going to go with a lot of younger players this year. It is going to take them a while to get going to take them a while to Gel and get the experience they need to win any meaningful games. The biggest issue will be from a leadership standpoint because they are so young and have so many questions to be answered.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Chris Jastrzembski from College Crosse has no Loyola in his pre-season top 20

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris_Jast/s ... 9994414080
Last edited by spartanslynx on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

spartanslynx wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 pm Chris Jastrzembiski from College Crosse has no Loyola in his pre-season top 20

No big deal. Loyola has been underrated basically every season but last year and coming off the title in 2013. They thrive in this spot.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:20 pm
spartanslynx wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 pm Chris Jastrzembiski from College Crosse has no Loyola in his pre-season top 20

No big deal. Loyola has been underrated basically every season but last year and coming off the title in 2013. They thrive in this spot.
He did them a favor!! :D Underpromise and overdeliver. Hounds Get to be underdogs almost every game. Now we'll see how they respond. I love it! :D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”