Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
holmes435

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by holmes435 »

A horrific tragedy and definitely preventable with a few seconds forethought.

More people die per year falling out of bed than from accidental / preventable gun deaths (486 such deaths in 2017 according to the article). We can reduce accidental / negligent discharges with more education and requiring better securing of guns.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 pm A horrific tragedy and definitely preventable with a few seconds forethought.

More people die per year falling out of bed than from accidental / preventable gun deaths (486 such deaths in 2017 according to the article). We can reduce accidental / negligent discharges with more education and requiring better securing of guns.
I don't want to take your gun away. I want to take away people's idea that they NEED to own a gun. Would you happen to know how many people survive from accidentally falling out of bed versus the number of people who survive from accidentally shooting themselves or someone else?
“I wish you would!”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Thanks. You can take away my NEED to own a gun when I am fully safe. People want to kill my family members because of who they love. People want to break into my home and take my things because they have few opportunities due to government and societal discrimination. People are on drugs and do harm to others.

I NEED to own a gun like I NEED to own a fire extinguisher. Luckily I've never needed to discharge any of my weapons in self defense, but I've certainly felt comforted by them in a few instances. I've needed to use my fire extinguishers twice in the past 20 years due to other people's negligence (bad plumbing and people throwing cigarette butts in our trash.) If I waited for the fire department in both incidents, I would have had a melted trash can in incident #2 and I would have had a burnt down house in incident #1. Only a burnt down house because we were awake and in near the source of the fire when it happened. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking to you here, and the rest of my family would likely be gone.

I don't know how many people fall out of bed total, but I imagine a lot more fall out of bed and are injured and don't die vs. those who get shot and don't die as beds are less lethal. So potentially a lot more people are probably injured and definitely more people die from falling out of bed than get shot or die from accidental / negligent discharges.

Seems like if we're living in the real world, we should concentrate on the bigger cause of death and injuries first. But we can do both at the same time! Following my directions on the second cause of death would vastly reduce those deaths and injuries.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

holmes435 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:40 pm Thanks. You can take away my NEED to own a gun when I am fully safe. People want to kill my family members because of who they love. People want to break into my home and take my things because they have few opportunities due to government and societal discrimination. People are on drugs and do harm to others.

I NEED to own a gun like I NEED to own a fire extinguisher. Luckily I've never needed to discharge any of my weapons in self defense, but I've certainly felt comforted by them in a few instances. I've needed to use my fire extinguishers twice in the past 20 years due to other people's negligence (bad plumbing and people throwing cigarette butts in our trash.) If I waited for the fire department in both incidents, I would have had a melted trash can in incident #2 and I would have had a burnt down house in incident #1. Only a burnt down house because we were awake and in near the source of the fire when it happened. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking to you here, and the rest of my family would likely be gone.

I don't know how many people fall out of bed total, but I imagine a lot more fall out of bed and are injured and don't die vs. those who get shot and don't die as beds are less lethal. So potentially a lot more people are probably injured and definitely more people die from falling out of bed than get shot or die from accidental / negligent discharges.

Seems like if we're living in the real world, we should concentrate on the bigger cause of death and injuries first. But we can do both at the same time! Following my directions on the second cause of death would vastly reduce those deaths and injuries.

So long as government exists in your life, you will always have a 'need' to own a gun. The right to self-defense or self-preservation can never be ceded to government.

(if you happen to live in the vicinity of Baltimore Maryland; what do you think the percent of young men between the ages of 14 and 29 who have access to a gun is? 99%? You want the police to help?)
Typical Lax Dad

holmes435 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:40 pm Thanks. You can take away my NEED to own a gun when I am fully safe. People want to kill my family members because of who they love. People want to break into my home and take my things because they have few opportunities due to government and societal discrimination. People are on drugs and do harm to others.

It’s unfortunate that you feel the need to own a weapon to protect your family. I don’t. You have the right to own a gun. I have no problem with it. I used to own one.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:19 pm

It’s unfortunate that you feel the need to own a weapon to protect your family. I don’t. You have the right to own a gun. I have no problem with it. I used to own one.
What is unfortunate about it?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:19 pm

What is unfortunate about it?
That our society is so violent.....it drives people to feel that that they need to arm themselves...

We are in great company....

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countr ... y-country/

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... n-violence
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Democrat stronghold Baltimore eclipses the terrible Per capita murder numbers of Brazil (29 per 100k people)

Baltimore posts a whopping 57 murders per 100,000 people last year.

:shock:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go ... 9-67949034
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:14 pm Democrat stronghold Baltimore eclipses the terrible Per capita murder numbers of Brazil (29 per 100k people)

They need more guns.
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:38 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:14 pm Democrat stronghold Baltimore eclipses the terrible Per capita murder numbers of Brazil (29 per 100k people)

They need more guns.

It may be some residents don't need more guns (since the guns are owned mostly illegally), but if I lived in Roland Park or Federal Hill and had a family to protect, I'd sure hate for the government to deny me the right to defend my family against the 1000's there who always will have guns (regardless of laws) and seemingly are keen to use them.
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 am

They need more guns.

It may be some residents don't need more guns (since the guns are owned mostly illegally), but if I lived in Roland Park or Federal Hill and had a family to protect, I'd sure hate for the government to deny me the right to defend my family against the 1000's there who always will have guns (regardless of laws) and seemingly are keen to use them.
Not sure anyone has proposed legislation to ban all guns. Anyway, a lacrosse stick worked for my buddy when his garage was broken into...
“I wish you would!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 am

They need more guns.

Not sure anyone has proposed legislation to ban all guns. Anyway, a lacrosse stick worked for my buddy when his garage was broken into...

All of us likely can swing the lumber in a pinch, but if two Bawlmer fellers point Saturday Night Specials at me or my family, I'd prefer the Glock to my Brine.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

They need more guns.
No, more regulation!
All the strict gun regulations in MD have really made a dent!
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:40 am

They need more guns.
No, more regulation!
You believe we need more guns or fewer guns in Baltimore?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:41 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:40 am

They need more guns.
No, more regulation!
You believe we need more guns or fewer guns in Baltimore?
More....so the ones doing the shooting can be shot back and taken out or at least injured enough to go to a hospital and get caught. :shock:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Fewer Illegal guns.

MD has the 3rd strictest gun regulations in the Nation behind only CA and NJ.
But it's murder rate is one of the highest in the entire world. Higher than Rio DeJaneiro.
What do you propose?
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:54 am Fewer Illegal guns.

MD has the 3rd strictest gun regulations in the Nation behind only CA and NJ.
But it's murder rate is one of the highest in the entire world. Higher than Rio DeJaneiro.
What do you propose?
Thank you. So the answer is fewer guns.....I don’t have a proposal. However if I did, it would not be a proposal for more guns. What about you?
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

A point of calibration:

I have lived in an around Baltimore for 64 of my 70 years. I have 3 grown children who have spent their entire lives living in and around Baltimore, save for one child who spent 1 year in Budapest and 1 year in Richmond; and one child who spent 2 years in Philadelphia. During these total of 160 + years not one of us has ever seen a gun used in a crime, neither have any of us ever been held up or threatened in any fashion by a stranger while going about our lives. We have had 1 automobile stolen (me) and taken for a joy ride; 2 automobiles broken into. No burglary or home break ins.

These individuals have lived in North Central Baltimore County as a family and while single as young adults at one time or another, 2 in Charles Village; 1 in Hampden; 1 in Remington; 1 in North Avenue / Greenmount area; 3 in Waverly; 2 in Mount Vernon; 1 Dundalk / Essex / Baltimore City Line area; 1 Mount Pleasant; 1 Bonnie Ridge; 1 in Glenmont; 1 in Ruxton; 3 on the Hopkins campus.

No one ever owned a gun. One did own two lead pipes while residing in Richmond.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:28 am A point of calibration:

I have lived in an around Baltimore for 64 of my 70 years. I have 3 grown children who have spent their entire lives living in and around Baltimore, save for one child who spent 1 year in Budapest and 1 year in Richmond; and one child who spent 2 years in Philadelphia. During these total of 160 + years not one of us has ever seen a gun used in a crime, neither have any of us ever been held up or threatened in any fashion by a stranger while going about our lives. We have had 1 automobile stolen (me) and taken for a joy ride; 2 automobiles broken into. No burglary or home break ins.

These individuals have lived in North Central Baltimore County as a family and while single as young adults at one time or another, 2 in Charles Village; 1 in Hampden; 1 in Remington; 1 in North Avenue / Greenmount area; 3 in Waverly; 2 in Mount Vernon; 1 Dundalk / Essex / Baltimore City Line area; 1 Mount Pleasant; 1 Bonnie Ridge; 1 in Glenmont; 1 in Ruxton; 3 on the Hopkins campus.

No one ever owned a gun. One did own two lead pipes while residing in Richmond.
My guess is that none of them were drug dealers?... in my town I only know of 5 deaths by firearm in 20 years. One guy killed his wife and then himself, another guy shot his wife and killed himself, and a couple that ran a jewelry store was robbed and killed.
“I wish you would!”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

If we're gonna play that game, Republican strongholds Louisiana, Alabama, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee and Arkansas have murder rates 2-4 times higher than Democrat stronghold NYC. Another ~10 Republican states have higher homicide rates than NYC (IN, GA, NC, MS, FL, OK, TX, KS, WV, AZ) :roll:

Single point stats don't really mean much.

National Review: Which Party Can We Blame for Poverty and Crime? (Don’t hold your breath for solutions in the cities or rural America.)

You know there's something to it when the National Review is telling you to slow your roll on the blame game.

Return to “POLITICS”