Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
foreverlax

Re: The IMPEACHMENT of President Asterisk

Post by foreverlax »

Did Rudy do anything illegal?

Can he have both Trump and "The White House" as clients?

Can he be compelled to testify and claim attorney/client confidentiality or executive privilege?

How about liability for slander?
ggait

Post by ggait »

Schumer has been indicating for 24 hours he thinks he is going to pick up the 4 votes he needs. I remain skeptical. Number of dem senators and ex. dem senators however seem to feel there is a good chance.
Fool's gold.

I predict that they will have the votes to call Bolton. But then his testimony will be shut down by exec privelege claims, nat security claims, separation of powers claims, it is an R-month claims, the subpoena wasn't printed in green ink claims, etc. etc. etc.

CJ Roberts could rule on those, but he probably won't.

So while Bolton will get called, we won't actually hear anything from him for a long time. Especially since Bolton obviously doesn't want to testify. If he did he could have showed up in November, or could give a media interview today a la Parnas.

And the BS privelege claims will be just enough cover for wimpies like Sen. Collins to claim she was for witnesses, even though there won't be any actual witness testimony.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Saturday / Sunday hearings are likely to be greatly shortened. Sounds like very short defense opening remarks on Saturday and then everybody leaves town. I suspect this is being driven by the republicans not really having a lot to say and won't be using their full 24 hours. Guess Dershowitz then on Monday.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

2 of 4 Carter Page FISA warrants have been proven illegal!

Authority granted to the federal government to secretly wiretap and spy on former Trump affiliate Carter Page was “not valid,” the nation’s top spy court noted in a secret ruling penned earlier this month. The order from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC), which was created and authorized by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), was initially signed and issued on January 7, 2020, but was not declassified and released until Thursday afternoon.

Dude should sue Comey and gang til he retires. No government immunity.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 pm
Schumer has been indicating for 24 hours he thinks he is going to pick up the 4 votes he needs. I remain skeptical. Number of dem senators and ex. dem senators however seem to feel there is a good chance.
Fool's gold.

I predict that they will have the votes to call Bolton. But then his testimony will be shut down by exec privelege claims, nat security claims, separation of powers claims, it is an R-month claims, the subpoena wasn't printed in green ink claims, etc. etc. etc.

CJ Roberts could rule on those, but he probably won't.

So while Bolton will get called, we won't actually hear anything from him for a long time. Especially since Bolton obviously doesn't want to testify. If he did he could have showed up in November, or could give a media interview today a la Parnas.

And the BS privelege claims will be just enough cover for wimpies like Sen. Collins to claim she was for witnesses, even though there won't be any actual witness testimony.
I agree. I think Schumer and company are smoking dope. We will see. If the "wimps" really want testimony, they could get it (even Bolton's). Last I heard the democrats have Mulvaney as their number one witness, in preference to Bolton. Makes more sense IMO.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:34 pm 2 of 4 Carter Page FISA warrants have been proven illegal!

Authority granted to the federal government to secretly wiretap and spy on former Trump affiliate Carter Page was “not valid,” the nation’s top spy court noted in a secret ruling penned earlier this month. The order from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC), which was created and authorized by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), was initially signed and issued on January 7, 2020, but was not declassified and released until Thursday afternoon.

Free Carter Page!
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:58 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:34 pm 2 of 4 Carter Page FISA warrants have been proven illegal!

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
After witnesses and documentary evidence, the senate is free to acquit him. I have no problem with that. Do you?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:08 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
After witnesses and documentary evidence, the senate is free to acquit him. I have no problem with that. Do you?
Nope....Trump is dug in like an Alabama tick
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
If you get the witnesses and documents, it will be much more difficult to acquit Orange Duce. That is why I don't think there is any chance of getting those things.
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
If you get the witnesses and documents, it will be much more difficult to acquit Orange Duce. That is why I don't think there is any chance of getting those things.
I want to see which brave Senators will vote to acquit after listening to witness testimony and seeing documented evidence. It worked for OJ. Senate is under no obligation to convict him. Old Salt wants an open investigation into Ukraine. I agree. After the Impeachment trial with witnesses and evidence, we should demand the same of Ukraine and other potentially corrupt countries that we support. Seems reasonable.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

This ruling is not surprising given the IG’s report. What is still unknown, however, is whether the FISA court would have issued the warrants had the applications been properly supported (include required stuff and exclude improper stuff). That will never be known with any degree of certainty because the court certainly isn’t going to issue an advisory opinion.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:27 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
I want to see which brave Senators will vote to acquit after listening to witness testimony and seeing documented evidence. It worked for OJ. Senate is under no obligation to convict him. Old Salt wants an open investigation into Ukraine. I agree. After the Impeachment trial with witnesses and evidence, we should demand the same of Ukraine and other potentially corrupt countries that we support. Seems reasonable.
To which documents are you all referring ?
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
Which do you think?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
Which do you think?
That is why I am asking, you and jhu seem to know all about them.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
Which do you think?
You haven’t been following the process?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:42 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Free Carter Page!
Free Trump!
Which do you think?
You haven’t been following the process?
I guess you do not know.
~Livy

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Thanks; nice little resource there!
njbill

Post by njbill »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:26 pm Did Rudy do anything illegal?

Can he have both Trump and "The White House" as clients?

Can he be compelled to testify and claim attorney/client confidentiality or executive privilege?

How about liability for slander?
I don’t think Rudy can represent Trump both in his personal capacity and in his capacity as president at the same time for the same matter. In any event, Rudy has made it quite clear that (he claims) he is representing the president in his personal capacity.

It is a pet peeve of mine that the press keeps referring to Rudy as the president’s lawyer. Rudy may be a lawyer but he is not acting as Trump’s lawyer in his Ukraine shenanigans. If I am your lawyer and you hire me to cut your grass, I am not acting as your lawyer when I cut your grass.

Rudy is acting as a political operative for Trump, like Roger Stone. He isn’t acting as a lawyer for Trump.

Even if Rudy was acting as Trump’s lawyer, any conversations Rudy had with anyone other than Trump would not be privileged. Same with any written communications. If Rudy sent a document to or received one from someone else, the communication is not privileged.

To be privileged, among other things, the communication must be between the lawyer and the client for the purpose of giving or receiving legal advice. The communication must be “primarily or predominately of a legal character.” Any other communications between Trump and Rudy would not be privileged.

https://www.law.com/newyorklawjournal/2 ... nications/

In addition, even if a communication is covered by the attorney-client privilege, it is not protected from disclosure if the crime — fraud exception applies or if Rudy or Trump disclosed the content of the communication to someone else which would waive the privilege.

Return to “POLITICS”