Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: The IMPEACHMENT of President Asterisk

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm Schumer see dead people? https://www.instagram.com/p/B7oTXvEnmaj ... hv4vos4kxr
How do you feel about evidence and witness being available for the impeachment trial. You for evidence and witnesses or are you against it? If you are for it, why? If you are against it, why?
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:18 pm Another venerated conservative calls bullsh@t:

https://www.newsweek.com/reagans-solici ... ssion=true
Thanks for posting this article. Very interesting.

The U.S. Steel case has not gotten nearly enough attention during the Trump era. While the actions Truman took then were more extreme than what Trump has done, the teachings of that case are very relevant today in terms of the limitations on the president’s power.

Loved this quote: Trump “lies the way other people breathe.” I think Trump would pass a lie detector test. He is such a pathological liar that he probably often isn’t aware when he’s telling the truth and when he’s lying.

I am concerned about Fried’s statement that it is not clear whether the president can obstruct justice. Granted there is no Supreme Court decision on point, but I think it is (or should be) crystal clear that he can. Otherwise, the president is above the law, which simply can’t be the case in our system of government.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:09 pm
seacoaster wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:18 pm Another venerated conservative calls bullsh@t:

The U.S. Steel case has not gotten nearly enough attention during the Trump era. While the actions Truman took then were more extreme than what Trump has done, the teachings of that case are very relevant today in terms of the limitations on the president’s power.

Loved this quote: Trump “lies the way other people breathe.” I think Trump would pass a lie detector test. He is such a pathological liar that he probably often isn’t aware when he’s telling the truth and when he’s lying.

I am concerned about Fried’s statement that it is not clear whether the president can obstruct justice. Granted there is no Supreme Court decision on point, but I think it is (or should be) crystal clear that he can. Otherwise, the president is above the law, which simply can’t be the case in our system of government.
Agreed; I liked this quote from the article (apparently taken from the conversation with Fried):

"The principal one is "to take care that the laws be faithfully executed." The laws made by Congress. And to do so faithfully. Not trickily. Not underhandedly. Not by transferring [money from one budget to another] and calling emergencies—as with the building of the wall."

After the GOP Congress's eager acquiescence to the rerouting of appropriated funds, where it had earlier rejected funds of that magnitude for the wall (that Mexico would pay for), it is hard to be surprised at the fecklessness the GOP House and Senate members are now showing daily, hourly, minute by minute.

If you had told me in 1984 that I would long for the Reagan cast of characters -- Meese, Deaver, Regan, Jim Baker, GHWB -- I'd have told you that you were nuts. Fried was Reagan's Solicitor General; talk about quality people.
Typical Lax Dad

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:27 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Agreed; I liked this quote from the article (apparently taken from the conversation with Fried):

"The principal one is "to take care that the laws be faithfully executed." The laws made by Congress. And to do so faithfully. Not trickily. Not underhandedly. Not by transferring [money from one budget to another] and calling emergencies—as with the building of the wall."

After the GOP Congress's eager acquiescence to the rerouting of appropriated funds, where it had earlier rejected funds of that magnitude for the wall (that Mexico would pay for), it is hard to be surprised at the fecklessness the GOP House and Senate members are now showing daily, hourly, minute by minute.

If you had told me in 1984 that I would long for the Reagan cast of characters -- Meese, Deaver, Regan, Jim Baker, GHWB -- I'd have told you that you were nuts. Fried was Reagan's Solicitor General; talk about quality people.
We have the F team and it's only going to get worse.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm Schumer see dead people? https://www.instagram.com/p/B7oTXvEnmaj ... hv4vos4kxr
How do you feel about evidence and witness being available for the impeachment trial. You for evidence and witnesses or are you against it? If you are for it, why? If you are against it, why?
Let it all hang out. As Drago said in Rocky IV “ if he dies, he dies”
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:35 pm
Why?
“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:35 pm
That's the spirit, YA.
Typical Lax Dad

Watching Schiff. He strings together his arguments with facts and logic. He does not leave a lot of room for any other conclusion other than what he drives at. I can't imagine what this would look like with the documentary evidence that won't be released and with witness testimony. My guess is that the Republicans will be all about Hunter Biden. It's a sad state of affairs. Why any country, going forward, would give up or not pursue nuclear weapons because we offer to provide military assistance is beyond me. The world won't be safer.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

As Rocky said in closing speech post fight vs Drago...

“I've seen a lot of changing, in the way you feel about me, and in the way I feel about you. In here, there were two guys killing each other, but I guess that's better than twenty million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"

In the end, maybe some good will come from this b
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 pm Watching Schiff. He strings together his arguments with facts and logic. He does not leave a lot of room for any other conclusion other than what he drives at. I can't imagine what this would look like with the documentary evidence that won't be released and with witness testimony. My guess is that the Republicans will be all about Hunter Biden. It's a sad state of affairs. Why any country, going forward, would give up or not pursue nuclear weapons because we offer to provide military assistance is beyond me. The world won't be safer.
Perverted history. You grossly overstate the assurances the US made 25 years ago, along with the UK, Russia, France & China.
Kuchma's decision to choose Ukrainian independence destroyed the hope of a united, stable post-Soviet, Russian Federation, within it's historic borders & assured the divisions & unrest which persist to this day within the former USSR & Imperial Russia.

Ukraine was the wealthiest, most prosperous (per capita) republic of the USSR, with disproportionate wealth, industrial & ag capacity.
They were prominent in the Soviet military & leaders in the USSR's arms industry.
In the ensuing 25 years, they had the capacity to outstrip Russia militarily.
They certainly should be able to defend themselves.
Like their Russian neighbors & Slavic cousins, they are the victim of their own pervasive corruption, not any failure of the US to protect them.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 pm Watching Schiff. He strings together his arguments with facts and logic. He does not leave a lot of room for any other conclusion other than what he drives at. I can't imagine what this would look like with the documentary evidence that won't be released and with witness testimony. My guess is that the Republicans will be all about Hunter Biden. It's a sad state of affairs. Why any country, going forward, would give up or not pursue nuclear weapons because we offer to provide military assistance is beyond me. The world won't be safer.
Perverted history. You grossly overstate the assurances the US made 25 years ago, along with the UK, Russia, France & China.
Kuchma's decision to choose Ukrainian independence destroyed the hope of a united, stable post-Soviet, Russian Federation, within it's historic borders & assured the divisions & unrest which persist to this day within the former USSR & Imperial Russia.

Ukraine was the wealthiest, most prosperous (per capita) republic of the USSR, with disproportionate wealth, industrial & ag capacity.
They were prominent in the Soviet military & leaders in the USSR's arms industry.
Like their Russian neighbors & Slavic cousins, they are the victim of their own pervasive corruption, not any failure of the US to protect them.
So having Ukraine investigate the Bidens changes all that crap you just wrote and makes it ok to give them the financial assistance?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm

So having Ukraine investigate the Bidens changes all that dump you just wrote and makes it ok to give them the financial assistance?
Come on TLD, Salty simply wants to do whatever is good for Vlad and ethnonationalist authoritarianism..
Beyond that, it's just what you can extract, what you can squeeze.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 pm

So having Ukraine investigate the Bidens changes all that dump you just wrote and makes it ok to give them the financial assistance?
Come on TLD, Salty simply wants to do whatever is good for Vlad and ethnonationalist authoritarianism..
Mexico wants its historic borders back......more drivel....
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 pm Ukraine was the wealthiest, most prosperous (per capita) republic of the USSR, with disproportionate wealth, industrial & ag capacity.

Ukraine's GDP is #57 in the world.

Why the F did Trump reinforce Poland if the Polish can defend themselves from Russia so easily?

Poland's GDP is three times larger than Ukraine's, for heaven's sake.

And now you're telling us that Ukraine can handle Putin no problem, while the Polish need our help? You sure about this?
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:31 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 pm Ukraine was the wealthiest, most prosperous (per capita) republic of the USSR, with disproportionate wealth, industrial & ag capacity.

Why the F did Trump reinforce Poland if the Polish can defend themselves from Russia so easily?

And now you're telling us that Ukraine can handle Putin no problem, while the Polish need our help? You sure about this?
more VDH drivel.....
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm

They're Mexico's for the taking, if they want them.
They'd prefer to send their poor N to suck our on our social safety teats, while sending billions in remittances home.

We have no strategic imperative to protect Ukraine. Certainly no more than our NATO allies who want them as an EU trading partner.
None of you gave a fig about Ukraine before the 2016 election.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 pm

more VDH drivel.....
Poland's a NATO ally -- Article 4.
Ukraine's a NATO wannabe.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:38 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:35 pm

more VDH drivel.....
Poland's a NATO ally -- Article 4.
Ukraine's a NATO wannabe.
All I know is the POTUS broke the law because he wanted an investigation announced (on TV) into his political rival.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 pm

They're Mexico's for the taking, if they want them.
They'd prefer to send their poor N to suck our on our social safety teats, while sending billions in remittances home.

We have no strategic imperative to protect Ukraine. Certainly no more than our NATO allies who want them as an EU trading partner.
None of you gave a fig about Ukraine before the 2016 election.
Why didn't we formally withdraw our support, comrade? It is not illegal. Have congress write some legislation. That's the lawful way.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”