NFL

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NFL

Post by Brooklyn »

Giants win!

https://www.bigblueview.com/2019/12/22/ ... lysis-news

https://nypost.com/2019/12/22/daniel-jo ... -thriller/

I did like it when announcer said "the NFL is better when Giants & Redskins" are at the top. So true. Great to have the old teams at the top of the standings.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Giants have a chance to ruin the Eagles playoff push. That game is no gimme for Philly.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Nigel wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:27 am Giants have a chance to ruin the Eagles playoff push. That game is no gimme for Philly.
Agreed. Especially considering the long long history between the two teams. Jints are due to play spoiler.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Philly defeats NY Punies:

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sport ... 758596001/

Will this be Shurmur's final game as head coach? Signs are certainly pointing in that direction with multiple reports declaring that will "likely" be the decision that comes down within the next 48 hours, perhaps as early as Monday morning. The Giants (4-12) finished one game worse in Shurmur's second season, and his total record at the helm of Big Blue since succeeding Ben McAdoo is 9-23.

The status of general manager Dave Gettleman is also considered tenuous, although the belief is that ownership is leaning toward bringing him back.

OL was especially puny.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Freeze frame football leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. The fumble, recovery and TD in the Saints-Vikings game was exactly that and the TD should have been good. You shouldn't be able to break a fall down to the point that the instant a players knee touches the ground the play is over. That was a fumble, Saints get screwed again. Replays should be watched in real time, just like the game is played!!
Don't really care who wins this one....or any of them for that matter.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

In the era of player safety this is absurd. The field should've been littered with yellow flags. At a minimum it's 15 yards for the personal foul. The Eagles players should've dogpiled Clowney immediately. They embarrassed themselves by not doing so. If this was Vontaze Burfict, holy h#ll breaks loose and he's thrown out of the game, period. If the hit is on Brady or Rodgers, same. The ref explanation of 'incidental' seriously undermines their professional abilities. Clowney's reputation isn't as a dirty player but this was 100% a dirty, cheap shot and it obviously affected the outcome of the game. Nice job NFL.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I have been a die-hard Eagles fan for decades. I bleed Eagle Green and view all plays with my Eagles goggles. Forget Clapton. Nick is God. I watched the game and the replays. I re-watched the game yesterday (why? ask my shrink, I guess). I ran the live play and replays back several times. I have read and listened to a lot of commentary on all sides over the past few days. No question that on the close angle replay, it looked like (and was) a penalty whether you call it a late hit, spearing, hitting a defenseless player, or helmet to helmet. I don't think Clowney should have been ejected or that he should be suspended. I do think he should be fined. Debatable whether it was dirty. From my biased perspective, I think it probably was, but I can see how an objective observer might think otherwise.

Watching the live play again yesterday, I have to say it didn't look dirty or even a penalty. And I say that having seen the game and replays on Sunday and heard all the comments. None of the players acted like anything untoward happened. I don't think the Eagle coaches reacted. The commentators didn't say anything. Now, they also didn't say anything after seeing the replay, which is inexcusable.

Given that it (to me) didn't look all that bad live, plus the fact that Wentz got up, didn't appear to be hurt, played five more plays, and completed two of the three passes he threw, I don't fault his teammates for not doing anything at the time. In an interview after the game, left tackle Jason Peters did say he told Clowney the play was dirty.

Later in the game, after McCown was knocked down (late, in my view), Goedert ran to the play from 30 yards away, gesturing at the refs and apparently saying something to them. Also Pederson said something to the refs. Just an example of an Eagle player standing up for a teammate who took a late hit.

Interesting to me that the large majority of the Eagle fans wanted the Birds to trade for Clowney early in the year when he was available. Now (he's a free agent)? No interest.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

There's a new Sheriff in Giantsville:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Judge ... _football)

quote = "old school, physical mentality"

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

My condolences to the Marylanders. I didn’t see that coming even after the Pats had been handled.

Lamar’s one heck of an athlete and a human highlight reel, but the winner isn’t based on yards/game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Ryan Tannehill Family photo:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:33 am My condolences to the Marylanders. I didn’t see that coming even after the Pats had been handled.

Lamar’s one heck of an athlete and a human highlight reel, but the winner isn’t based on yards/game.
I saw it coming. Pummeling the Bengals and Jets in the regular season isn’t the same as playoff football. Much more pressure which the Ravens couldn’t handle. I thought it was a bad idea for Ravens to for for on those two 4th down tries. When you’re struggling, take the points or field position and move on.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

During the regular season, the Ravens beat the Niners, Seahawks, and the Patriots. Don't try and pretend the Ravens had a weak schedule and they didn't earn the #1 seed...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:08 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:33 am My condolences to the Marylanders. I didn’t see that coming even after the Pats had been handled.

I saw it coming. Pummeling the Bengals and Jets in the regular season isn’t the same as playoff football. Much more pressure which the Ravens couldn’t handle. I thought it was a bad idea for Ravens to for for on those two 4th down tries. When you’re struggling, take the points or field position and move on.
You know this is a ridiculous argument, right? The Ravens went into Seattle in week 7 and put a double digit loss on the Seahawks. Very impressive road win. Then in week 9 they embarrassed the defending champion New England Patriots on Sunday Night Football. They destroyed Houston 41-7 in week 11. Took down the San Francisco 49ers in week 13. Week 14 they went into Buffalo and beat the Bills. That's 5 playoff teams. No one from the Bengals or the Jets in that group.

If the Ravens had made those 2 4th down plays it would have been called gutsy, not a bad idea. It's easy to look at the results After the game and say it was this or that.

I'm sorry, but I must call BS on your "I saw it coming" claim. There's a reason the Ravens were a 10 point favorite in the game. I agree, the playoffs are a completely different stage, but the Ravens didn't give any indication that they would bow out to a tough, well-coached Titans team by what they did in the regular season.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 pm Ryan Tannehill Family photo:

Is there a picture with Derrick Henry as daddy of them all? Probably more appropriate.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:38 pm Ryan Tannehill Family photo:

Is there a picture with Derrick Henry as daddy of them all? Probably more appropriate.
I'll look around....that would be funny. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

George Young - Hall of Fame:

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/b ... story.html

Young, who died in 2001, began his NFL career as a scout, coach and executive for the Baltimore Colts. He later built two Super Bowl champions for the Giants and won NFL Executive of the Year honors five times.

“He loved history,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday morning on NFL Network. “He loved the game, and this is something he would be so proud of.”

No such luck for fly-by-night artist Art Modell.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Eli retires:

https://bit.ly/2umfAyS

16 awesome years for the NYG.

njbill

Post by njbill »

Headline on Eagles fan website: Giant quarterback who lost 20 of last 24 games to Eagles retires.

I know. One.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

njbill wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:22 pm Headline on Eagles fan website: Giant quarterback who lost 20 of last 24 games to Eagles retires.

I know. One.
Wow! That’s astounding. Talk about a team having your number.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”