Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by NovaHound »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:50 pm I'll need to go through my posts/e-mails to find out who but one of you animals within this thread gave me a tip about Bateman for my fantasy league and... I'm starting to question this tip. To be fair, he performed in HS. It's not like I picked him blindly. But this guy was saying that during preseason play (last season), he was doing some serious damage. Anyway, if I don't figure out who it was, I'll just blame anyone with the word "hound" in their username. Or, better, someone get this Bateman kid on the field!
Could it have been posted by "nothinbutaHounddog", "Hounddogz", "Hounds4life", or "Mississippileghound"???

On a different note, I do recall hearing about the GK walk-on (transfer) Ferraro last fall. Could not remember which school he attended so I just asked Professor Google and came up with Hartford Hawks. Believe he started a few games for them. Also found this clip.

https://twitter.com/HartfordMLAX/status ... 9644580864
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Anybody have info on Loyola scrimmages?
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:57 am Anybody have info on Loyola scrimmages?
UMBC Jan 25 Noon at Ridley
Richmond Feb 1 @ Richmond Noon
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

what opposing coaches are saying about Loyola this year.

“I think Loyola is going to be particularly dangerous. I'm sure their coaching staff is pounding them about what everybody is saying about what isn't there than what is there. What I can tell is that what is there is still extremely talented. I'm sure their coaching staff is hitting them over the head with what everybody is saying, so I would anticipate a really hungry team that is not short on talent.”

“I think a lot of people expect Loyola to take a step back. I’m not foolish enough to buy into that. They have a stable of really good players and have had great recruiting classes. They’ll be less reliant on one player and might play even better as a team. Their big question is who steps into the goal for them. Stover is someone who quietly put together some high-level seasons for them. That’ll be a question.”

...maybe PB is right about his prognostications after all
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Just confirmed via Loyola's website, but Ryan McNulty will be playing this year as a senior academically, but he will return for 2021 to compete for his 4th year athletically. Looks like he'll be a grad student, but we get him for one more year (i think Railey too). Great news for the defense
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Hounds may take some time to get their feet under them. But there's enough talent at Evergreen. I think it will be a fun journey this years as the team matures and gels. And who knows, I think we could surprise some teams.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So wow. Pat Spencer almost single-handedly willed Northwestern to a win over the UMD Terps tonight.

He took it right to NBA prospect Anthony Cowan defensively. He was a load. Very physical and tough to move around. Had steals, rebounds, assists and at one point 8 straight points down the stretch to keep NW alive. If he's playing that well just ONE year into top D1 basketball, having been away from the game for 4 years, he may have an outside shot at the NBA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pat passed up the PLL for the NBA G (Developmental) League.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:08 pm So wow. Pat Spencer almost single-handedly willed Northwestern to a win over the UMD Terps tonight.

He took it right to NBA prospect Anthony Cowan defensively. He was a load. Very physical and tough to move around. Had steals, rebounds, assists and at one point 8 straight points down the stretch to keep NW alive. If he's playing that well just ONE year into top D1 basketball, having been away from the game for 4 years, he may have an outside shot at the NBA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pat passed up the PLL for the NBA G (Developmental) League.
I highly doubt that. Cowan is a fringe NBA prospect at best first off. Pat was great last night but he doesn't have the length to play NBA ball unless he is a lights out 3 point shooter, which he isn't. Where would he be if he had 4 years of college ball? It's hard to say for sure but the signs are he could be a good Big Ten player. But still not sure he would ever be an NBA prospect.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:08 pm So wow. Pat Spencer almost single-handedly willed Northwestern to a win over the UMD Terps tonight.

I highly doubt that. Cowan is a fringe NBA prospect at best first off. Pat was great last night but he doesn't have the length to play NBA ball unless he is a lights out 3 point shooter, which he isn't. Where would he be if he had 4 years of college ball? It's hard to say for sure but the signs are he could be a good Big Ten player. But still not sure he would ever be an NBA prospect.
As much as I want to see Pat play professional basketball, i don't see even a G league contract happening. Sure he's a good player and he offensively carries a pretty bad Northwestern team, but i don't think hes good enough to warrant a G league contract due to the fact his game is one dimensional. A crossover between the legs to a hesitation, then he uses the screen to throw it back to the screener when the guy either fades or rolls. Its either that, or he drives to shoot a floating midrange. It has to expand to get looks from scouts, both NBA/G league, and international.

Easier said than done, but if he played basketball like he played lacrosse for us (physically dominate the defender, head fakes for passes to then dish an assist etc etc. ) then i think he'd truly shine. But alas, basketball is a team sport much like lacrosse but sometimes its just hard to watch the ball movement in the teams hands when Pat doesn't have it.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I think Pat's value as a basketball player is more as a defender. He has a nonstop motor and and plays the scheme well. His doubles down on bigs are exceptional.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

IL released their picks for the Patriot League with Loyola as the preseason #1. The article also included soundbites from their interview with Coach Toomey where I was able to pick up some interesting notes.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... year/55830

He wants his guys who he thinks will be starters to separate themselves in terms of who wants to start, who wants the minutes, in order to breed good competition within the team. This would make it easier on the coaching staff to be comfortable with the decision to play whoever that third attackmen is. Feels really good about the guys who will ultimately take the field against virginia and the other teams.

1. the third attack spot looks to be a three way race between Ross Pridemore, Jack Raba, and Joey Kamish. These three guys come to mind, and they hope these 3 even create separation to make the clear cut decision for the final spot.
2. Goalie as of right now might be Shafer. Competition exists between him, Teitelbaum and Freeman Whitaker
3.Midfield reproduction hopes to happen with Riley Seay and Jack Decker transferring into the program. Staff hopes these two will compete for minutes. Mentions Cox to be a good contributor along with Liam Batemen who they need to step up and produce
4. indicates that Peter Swindell will be a guy "that everybody will come to know" for the season.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:51 am ...along with Liam Batemen who they need to step up and produce
Good to hear he's on the radar. talented kid in HS and no reason he shouldn't do the same in college.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I might have to get my BTN subscription a little early this year. Spencer is putting in some serious minutes for Wildcats, what a legend.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Hounds scrimmage UMBC today at 1200. Slight chance it may be moved into the Bubble due to weather (Slight chance). If so, no spectators allowed in Bubble. Keeping my fingers crossed scrimmage will take place in Stadium. Question mark is the "third" Attackman. As Toomey pointed out, will it be Kamish, Pridemore or Raba?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

any word on the scrimmage today? will it be in the bubble or at the stadium. Hopefully the latter so we can get notes
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 am

As much as I want to see Pat play professional basketball, i don't see even a G league contract happening. Sure he's a good player and he offensively carries a pretty bad Northwestern team, but i don't think hes good enough to warrant a G league contract due to the fact his game is one dimensional. A crossover between the legs to a hesitation, then he uses the screen to throw it back to the screener when the guy either fades or rolls. Its either that, or he drives to shoot a floating midrange. It has to expand to get looks from scouts, both NBA/G league, and international.

Easier said than done, but if he played basketball like he played lacrosse for us (physically dominate the defender, head fakes for passes to then dish an assist etc etc. ) then i think he'd truly shine. But alas, basketball is a team sport much like lacrosse but sometimes its just hard to watch the ball movement in the teams hands when Pat doesn't have it.
I thought he was great. Yes Cowan is small, but Pat also posted up Maryland's best defender and overpowered/outskilled him (Morsell). Pat also showed excellent burst and athleticism taking it to the rim several times.

He wasn't refined (understandably) and his arms are probably a little short of ideal, but as a big, athletic point guard with great vision and creativity, he could have a shot at an NBA roster after some time in the G League. What a great athlete.

Good luck Greyhounds, enjoy the season.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

how was the scrimmage?? I saw 3 goals scored in 3 clips on their Instagram stories with some nice alley dodges and quick sticks
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 pm how was the scrimmage?? I saw 3 goals scored in 3 clips on their Instagram stories with some nice alley dodges and quick sticks

Very Sloppy, if keeping score, 13-8... I would say at least 10 turn overs.

Attack: Lindley and Olmstead looked good, tried to do too much. Good competition between Pridmore kamish and Raba for the third spot.

Defense looked good. Shafer looked good.

FO Bailey was 50/50

Middies, Need to figure it out. Starters was Hueston, Swindell and Seay.... Hueston so poor decisions and turnovers. Bateman had a couple, had a nice step down... Van arsdale needs to figure this out.

It will be a long season if they play this way, could go 1-4 first five games, and will struggle in patriot league play. Sorry Peter not the optimist as you are
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:40 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:26 pm how was the scrimmage?? I saw 3 goals scored in 3 clips on their Instagram stories with some nice alley dodges and quick sticks

Very Sloppy, if keeping score, 13-8... I would say at least 10 turn overs.

Attack: Lindley and Olmstead looked good, tried to do too much. Good competition between Pridmore kamish and Raba for the third spot.

Defense looked good. Shafer looked good.

FO Bailey was 50/50

Middies, Need to figure it out. Starters was Hueston, Swindell and Seay.... Hueston so poor decisions and turnovers. Bateman had a couple, had a nice step down... Van arsdale needs to figure this out.

It will be a long season if they play this way, could go 1-4 first five games, and will struggle in patriot league play. Sorry Peter not the optimist as you are

hmmmm, then why not throw in Pacheco to test on Faceoffs?

If middies were doing poorly then maybe switch the lineups. Where was Wigley, Cox, Devereaux? I saw Evan James alley dodge and feed pridemore for a quick stick at the crease. Any notes for them?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”