Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Pretty funny when the discussion of who is the "best" attack man in the country occupies so much attention.

Winning games is what matters, not whether Joey is better than Matt or Grant or Jeff...they're all fabulous players.

I'm interested in the team play.

And sure, Joey is a terrific player.
Big upside, for sure.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:14 pm Pretty funny when the discussion of who is the "best" attack man in the country occupies so much attention.
It seems like a regular sort of topic for lacrosse fans to discuss.
Maybe your the one who is funny. :lol:

if Logan Wisnauskas had played 20 games, he probably would have been a 40-40 man also. (44g, 35a in 17 games). Logan has a nice .419 shooting pct. as compared with Matt Moore's .307. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I think Twitter. And I think it was these guys: https://www.youtube.com/user/lacrossefilmroom
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:14 pm Pretty funny when the discussion of who is the "best" attack man in the country occupies so much attention.
It seems like a regular sort of topic for lacrosse fans to discuss.
Maybe your the one who is funny. :lol:

if Logan Wisnauskas had played 20 games, he probably would have been a 40-40 man also. (44g, 35a in 17 games). Logan has a nice .419 shooting pct. as compared with Matt Moore's .307. :idea:
Coot, my point was more of a tweak of the Hopkins fan who was exclaiming so over the top vociferously about the virtues of a very good Hopkins player and then the back and forth...in the context of not yet winning up to Hopkins' standards. It was not objecting to any particular player being considered excellent.

The "regular topic" of best position player in D1 might be more apt in its own thread. It's pretty irrelevant, at least IMO, to discussion of the specific team, etc, other than to be glad to have a premiere level, difference maker on the field.

Matt Moore and I have the same last name, but other than that I simply enjoyed watching his development and contributions last year in UVA's Championship run. I sat next to his family at one game, totally coincidentally, and enjoyed them. Good folks. I would not argue that he's the best attack man in the country and my hunch would be that he and his family would not make such boasts either. Far more likely they would be glad he was able to contribute so strongly to the Championship run. Definitely a premiere level player. I think we may well see continued development.

On the other hand, as a UVA fan, I hope the scoring continues to be very distributed and the style of play remains aggressive. It makes for a very entertaining fan experience.

I agree, Logan is an excellent player as well.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Both inside and outside of lacrosse, I find the graying between a player being great and a team being great strange. e.g. Someone saying that they thought Lamar Jackson was great... until the Ravens lost to the Titans. With the assumption being, if Lamar was that great, the Ravens should've won the Superbowl. Not necessarily how Lamar played in the Titans game. One is a player, one is a team. And, while a player on a bad team can shoot more shots, it's a hack of a lot easier to get good shots and certainly assists when you're surrounded by talented players. In other words...

I think it's hard to compare these attackmen. Spencer wasn't hard to compare. He was clearly a step above (though others may argue). But Grant Ament vs. Jared Bernhardt vs. Michael Sowers vs. Logan Wisnauskas vs. Jeff Teat vs. Sam Handley vs. Mac O'Keefe vs. Joey Epstein vs. Brendan Nichtern vs. ... Ethan Walker (who had less points last season but is undeniably good) vs. ... It's really hard because you don't measure them with a ruler and this is a team sport. And a team winning doesn't necessarily mean a player is better.
Caddy Day
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 pm if Logan Wisnauskas had played 20 games, he probably would have been a 40-40 man also. (44g, 35a in 17 games). Logan has a nice .419 shooting pct. as compared with Matt Moore's .307. :idea:
Those shooting percentages aren't comparable. One guy is a primary ball carrier who scores more off his own dodge, the other is primarily an off-ball player. You are inherently going to have a higher shooting percentage off the pass than you are off the dodge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 am Both inside and outside of lacrosse, I find the graying between a player being great and a team being great strange. e.g. Someone saying that they thought Lamar Jackson was great... until the Ravens lost to the Titans. With the assumption being, if Lamar was that great, the Ravens should've won the Superbowl. Not necessarily how Lamar played in the Titans game. One is a player, one is a team. And, while a player on a bad team can shoot more shots, it's a hack of a lot easier to get good shots and certainly assists when you're surrounded by talented players. In other words...

I think it's hard to compare these attackmen. Spencer wasn't hard to compare. He was clearly a step above (though others may argue). But Grant Ament vs. Jared Bernhardt vs. Michael Sowers vs. Logan Wisnauskas vs. Jeff Teat vs. Sam Handley vs. Mac O'Keefe vs. Joey Epstein vs. Brendan Nichtern vs. ... Ethan Walker (who had less points last season but is undeniably good) vs. ... It's really hard because you don't measure them with a ruler and this is a team sport. And a team winning doesn't necessarily mean a player is better.
+1. Lyle Thompson was another transcendent player.
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

100%. Mikey Powell. Gary and Paul. There are several players who you can't help but point at and say, That's inarguably the best guy on the field. And then Loyola plays PSU and loses 21-14, Spencer has 6 and 5, and people still say, Hmm, I don't know. He's definitely good but... PSU crushed Loyola.
Maybe Ament is better.

(For the record, Ament had 1 and 8 and O'Keefe had 9 and 0.)
Caddy Day
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We interrupt this truly riveting discussion about who's the "best" attackman to bring you some real news.

And it's not good.

Some of you might know this already. The season starts in just a few weeks so we'd all find out soon anyway and I believe in transparency. I've heard from several people that Jack Rapine is not with the program. Left the team before practice started up again this month. I don't really want to get into the specifics publicly, but I will stress that it's not at all a discipline/academic/behavior thing. He did nothing wrong and is very much still in good standing with the school. So it's not another Foley or Tinney situation. But...he's not with the team.

They may be forced to bump Reinson down to close D now, otherwise you have to play two new guys there. But if you do that, then that will create more questions at LSM. Either way, it's going to be an inexperienced group of poles behind Colwell.

Happy new year!

jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-College CrosseDefenseman Jack Rapine is no longer with the Johns Hopkins program, multiple sources tell
@College_Crosse The Blue Jays now lose two starting defenders from last year, counting Patrick Foley.

-Last years defensive starters-Rapine GONE Foley GRADUATED Colwell-2020 Jones GRADUATED Kuhn GRADUATED Goalie-Bueller?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:02 pm We interrupt this truly riveting discussion about who's the "best" attackman to bring you some real news.

And it's not good.

Some of you might know this already. The season starts in just a few weeks so we'd all find out soon anyway and I believe in transparency. I've heard from several people that Jack Rapine is not with the program. Left the team before practice started up again this month. I don't really want to get into the specifics publicly, but I will stress that it's not at all a discipline/academic/behavior thing. He did nothing wrong and is very much still in good standing with the school. So it's not another Foley or Tinney situation. But...he's not with the team.

They may be forced to bump Reinson down to close D now, otherwise you have to play two new guys there. But if you do that, then that will create more questions at LSM. Either way, it's going to be an inexperienced group of poles behind Colwell.

Happy new year!

Very disappointing to hear. Wish the young man well.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

More preseason memories of days gone by. VIDEO of JHU Freshman Donegar laying out SU's Sam Bassett. Separately, apparently Bassett went on to be a documentary filmmaker.
Caddy Day
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:57 pm More preseason memories of days gone by. VIDEO of JHU Freshman Donegar laying out SU's Sam Bassett. Separately, apparently Bassett went on to be a documentary filmmaker.
Thanks, Matt. Great clean hit by Doneger.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

I met Doneger once, I seriously thought he was an NFL linebacker. Enormous human being
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:51 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:57 pm More preseason memories of days gone by. VIDEO of JHU Freshman Donegar laying out SU's Sam Bassett. Separately, apparently Bassett went on to be a documentary filmmaker.
Thanks, Matt. Great clean hit by Doneger.

DocBarrister 8-)
keep it rolling dudes...eventual NC champs won this one, if you forgot
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

One of the best hits I've seen live. Game was a bummer, though. One-goal loss in absolutely miserable conditions. AJ Haugen almost single-handedly willed us to a win.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:02 pm He did nothing wrong
Well, apparently he did something wrong on the lacrosse field. TX's IL article is brief but certainly contains a couple lines to read between. Why bring up fall scrimmages - and playing time therein - at all if this is not somehow tied to lax and either the staff or the player or both were not pleased with something? Decision made with "the team's best interests in mind' is another phrase dripping with possibilities and ripe for speculation.

Oh well - just accelerates the process. At one point in time it looked like the 2021 Blue Jays were going to have to replace the entire close defense. Now it will be just one of them.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

One of the worst defenses in the country last year just got even worse.
Rome is burning.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Great hit, heads up and ready; they both wanted to battle.

Tough loss for the team in losing Rapine. 6th all time in CTs at Hop. :oops: Glad to hear he's getting his degree though. He'll probably have a job lined up by the time the BIG tourny starts. Onward and upward!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:15 am One of the worst defenses in the country last year just got even worse.
Rome is burning.
Here we go. These are the posts that drive me nuts. Why exactly? While I harbor not one crumb of ill will toward the young man and it certainly is conspicuous to have a 3 year starter up and voluntarily leave the program in agreement with the coach - maybe you should let the team actually play 2 or 3 games before offering that opinion. For example, what if one of the freshmen is Tucker Durkin 2.0 - I am not saying for a second one of them is - but what if? Who would you rather play? - that player or Rapine if it came down to those two?

If one were to draw any inference from the IL article - a dangerous practice I admit - but a reasonable one might be that Petro is not standing pat this year and he is shaking up the defense - and Rapine's role may have been changing - maybe so far as splitting time or actually competing for his job.

And why - like a certain poster back in the days of Laxpower - do I get the feeling that if Hopkins were to beat Towson 10-4 and Rapine's replacement played well - all of a sudden your take would be that we would have an AA on our hands. Jack who?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”