China Trade Deal

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
holmes435

Re: China Trade Deal

Post by holmes435 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:07 pm 'Phase one' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is your neck of the woods, right? :) - the craziest thing is that this image is old enough to drink your booze.

a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: One of my faves from South Park....
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:16 pm
foreverlax wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:12 pm Kudlow on CNBC right now...explaining the details. Market now up 10.90 pts. :lol:

Like this thread's genesis, you commented too soon. Shall we expect a mea culpa?

(it is perhaps best to have a self-imposed time rule before commenting on matters which we probably have no understanding of other than a superficial review - for the China trade deal, as it is being layered in on 3 phases, me personally, I'd wait to see what the real end game is before assigning a weight to the impact)
Ah, no. Actually that is a factual statement.

You should actually try that little rule of yours....might help you get your facts straight.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:54 am
foreverlax wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:12 pm Kudlow on CNBC right now...explaining the details. Market now up 10.90 pts. :lol:

Like this thread's genesis, you commented too soon. Shall we expect a mea culpa?

(it is perhaps best to have a self-imposed time rule before commenting on matters which we probably have no understanding of other than a superficial review - for the China trade deal, as it is being layered in on 3 phases, me personally, I'd wait to see what the real end game is before assigning a weight to the impact)

You should actually try that little rule of yours....might help you get your facts straight.

*the market ended up 90.55 points on the day...

The point is that, in the mad haste to lay waste to anything Trump, how often are we incorrect in the end?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:43 am

The point is that, in the mad haste to lay waste to anything Trump, how often are we incorrect in the end?
Where it closed is irrelevant to the timing of my post and your comments regarding that post.

So far, those hammering that the tax cuts have been pretty accurate - it's done nothing to spur GDP to the levels Trump/Kudlow predicted nor have they paid for themselves.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am

Where it closed is irrelevant to the timing of my post and your comments regarding that post.

So far, those hammering that the tax cuts have been pretty accurate - it's done nothing to spur GDP to the levels Trump/Kudlow predicted nor have they paid for themselves.

I'm curious why you're determined to double down on something that's easy to see now? Your original post was a bad post, accomplished nothing, and risked damage to the credibility of the perma-neverTrump mindset (I assume you're part of that).

The market finished up 90 pts on the day. That was the only relevant thing to post, by seeing the actual impact on the day. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock ... us-markets
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:53 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:28 pm I’ll choose to wait and see. You can react immediately. History suggests that’s unwise.
Facepalm.

Of course you can wait and see. The tariffs haven't hit your business.

They HAVE hit mine. I HAVE to react immediately. I can give you a tally from just this year. The odds that we will "make this up" somewhere are zero.

No one thinks longer term than a whiskey distiller. I have 20 year business plan, in writing, that I'm executing right now.

Enjoy your Trump protections, old boy. Political protection comes and goes. I hope for your sake that you put that in your long term planning.

I'm not sure where my "Trump protection" is? Among other problems with Trump's generally erratic trade negotiations, aluminum tariffs directly impact the cost of new jets. Tariffs are almost always bad, but in some cases they are legitimate. I like to look for the blended impact of the whole deal, not simply one aspect.

Regarding the liquor industry, I would have thought that the tariffs would help domestic manufacturers of liquor not hurt, as my belief was that the tariffs were to hit imports. Presumably others are retaliating? I truly don't understand how his tariffs directly impacts your business, but I am open ears to learning.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:07 am

I'm curious why you're determined to double down on something that's easy to see now? Your original post was a bad post, accomplished nothing, and risked damage to the credibility of the perma-neverTrump mindset (I assume you're part of that).

The market finished up 90 pts on the day. That was the only relevant thing to post, by seeing the actual impact on the day. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stock ... us-markets
Double down....like when you said
Education, health care and energy monopolies receive extreme favoritism, control nearly 40 percent of the economy
and I show you that is wrong by a factor of 2x....and you want to talk about mea culpa. :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am

Education, health care and energy monopolies receive extreme favoritism, control nearly 40 percent of the economy
and I show you that is wrong by a factor of 2x....and you want to talk about mea culpa. :lol:

"Doubling down" is denying a fact after being presented with a fact. I have not questioned your statistic, have I?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:48 am

"Doubling down" is denying a fact after being presented with a fact. I have not questioned your statistic, have I?
So we agree, your claim was wrong.

Sure sounds like it....if not, why claim a mea culpa is due?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

China trade deal skeptics can do simple arithmetic, others, not so much. To me it looks like the only US winner in this deal is Wall Street. China's agreement to specific purchase targets are pie in the sky.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 am

My claim that the market finished up 90 points, not 10? That was incorrect?

When you spike the football with a Q1 lead, you're way more likely to look like you don't care to wait to make judgments. Which, again, read my signature.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:13 am
foreverlax wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:51 am

My claim that the market finished up 90 points, not 10? That was incorrect? You are the only one talking about closing price...I was reflecting where the market was when Kudlow made his statement. You are talking apple vs my oranges. And you asked me to apologize for your mistake!! :lol:

When you spike the football with a Q1 lead, you're way more likely to look like you don't care to wait to make judgments. Which, again, read my signature.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Crickets from the Forums fan's of the Trade War...

What's that you say? You didn't notice that the Havard's Chair of the Chem Department was arrested for working with the Chinese on IP theft?

Odd. It's almost as if I told TrumpFans that this trade war would do NOTHING to solve TrumpFan's complaint about Chinese IP theft.

And here we are. Anyone willing to finally concede Trump's Trade War isn't doing what you've claimed it would do?

Nope. Of course not. Can't admit when you're wrong.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

China traded a virus instead :oops: . You of all people should have plenty of patience as a skilled spirits tradesman...but maybe that is why you push so hard for instant gratification in other arena's...the yin and the yang of life balance....you are forgiven. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

You really think I'm not being patient? You seriously think THAT is the problem? You think that if I wait long enough, 1+1 won't equal 2....it will equal 3 if I give it enough time.

I told you guys that Trump's Trade Deal does not address your (your complaint, not mine) issue with IP theft. You didn't listen.

Now you're finding that, as has been the case since the Clinton era, China is cleaning our IP clock at Universities and Research Centers in plain sight.

Trump doesn't address this ANYWHERE. So no, being patient for new policies that don't exist to "begin working" won't cut the mustard.

What Trump is doing isn't addressing IP theft. But you don't want to hear that, and neither do Trump fans who pretend to care about IP theft.

Oh well. I can only tell you these things so many times. Trump will leave office eventually, the problem will still be there, and you'll move on, because you'll think the problem has been solved because Trump isn't around to tell you there's a problem.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:03 pm You really think I'm not being patient? You seriously think THAT is the problem? You think that if I wait long enough, 1+1 won't equal 2....it will equal 3 if I give it enough time.

I told you guys that Trump's Trade Deal does not address your (your complaint, not mine) issue with IP theft. You didn't listen.

Now you're finding that, as has been the case since the Clinton era, China is cleaning our IP clock at Universities and Research Centers in plain sight.

Trump doesn't address this ANYWHERE. So no, being patient for new policies that don't exist to "begin working" won't cut the mustard.

What Trump is doing isn't addressing IP theft. But you don't want to hear that, and neither do Trump fans who pretend to care about IP theft.

Oh well. I can only tell you these things so many times. Trump will leave office eventually, the problem will still be there, and you'll move on, because you'll think the problem has been solved because Trump isn't around to tell you there's a problem.
The last sentence is absolutely true. People think Trump has done a great job with the stock market because he says so. The market saw more “new highs” under Obama but he didn’t tell people.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

About once a month on CNBC, they'll have a guest on who mentions the Trump stimulus.

But because Trump and the media don't call it stimulus, guys like Pete ignore that the ENTIRE reason the economy is doing well is that Trump and Congress borrowed $3 Trillion, and pumped it through the economy.

And yet if you ask TrumpFans about Obama's "stimulus" and "Shovel ready jobs", and "bailouts"......oh, he gets that part. It's stimulus if they call it stimulus....and it's NOT stimulus if they don't call it stimulus. It's like PeteB and Socialism....he thinks if he doesn't call it socialism, then it's not socialism. :lol:

And a steak dinner says Trump will pass another massive spending bill before November to keep the party going. Because why not?

TrumpVoters don't know what the hell interest is, so let's do it!!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I remember “fiscal conservatives....lol: :lol: :lol: where deh at?
“I wish you would!”
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 pm I remember “fiscal conservatives....lol: :lol: :lol: where deh at?
The Tea Party has been camped out in front of the White House since inauguration day, protesting Trump's record deficits...

Return to “POLITICS”