Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hopper1

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Hopper1 »

Do we know what games will be televised? Haven't seen anything yet, but I do seem to remember it took them a while last year before they released the full schedule of games on Big 10 network and ESPNU.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

They keep posting social media interviews where Petro essentially says nothing. Useless content. Give us a look at freshmen we'll be watching for 4 years, returning veterans and how they've worked on their games. Not everything related to the group is top secret/no forn stuff. It's anniversary 15 of the 2005 experience, I'd love a video look back at that team and the games. Much better than petro with red eyes pushing coach cliches and straining to avoid saying anything of substance.

LM did its loyola preview yesterday-down 60 percent of scoring and a new goalie-that's a must win. yes they're a better program than they were 10 years ago, but their recruiting according to ty xanders isn't. Owning charles street has to be part of the foundation of Hopkins lacrosse. we're not a nationally elite program today if we can't bully mid majors in our own neighborhood.

College crosse which has the best offseason daily content ran the 2020 scheduling numbers and we're in the top 10 for most categories and the top for about half. The catch is that without uva our potential top 5 wins are down to umd, psu, a b1g game against one of the two, maybe cuse and or unc. You figure michigan, navy, rutgers, delaware aren't going to be top 20 games and probably 1 of princeton/osu and it underscores how important beating towson AND loyola is to start the year to bolster the resume.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:21 pm You figure michigan, navy, rutgers, delaware aren't going to be top 20 games
I'd wager a lot of money that at least one of those teams will be a top 20 team by season's end. Probably more than one.
Hopper1 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:12 pm Do we know what games will be televised? Haven't seen anything yet, but I do seem to remember it took them a while last year before they released the full schedule of games on Big 10 network and ESPNU.
The ESPN and BTN schedules should come out in the next few weeks. Assuming it's the same as usual, then most home games will be on ESPNU/ESPN+ while Big Ten road games will be on BTN. We already know the mid-week road trip to Delaware in March will be streamed on Lax Sports Network. Trips to Loyola and Navy may have to be streamed by those schools, unless they're on the Patriot League Network. I doubt those will be actual TV games. I wonder if they'll get Dixon back to announce the MSM home game pro bono.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:21 pm They keep posting social media interviews where Petro essentially says nothing. Useless content. Give us a look at freshmen we'll be watching for 4 years, returning veterans and how they've worked on their games. Not everything related to the group is top secret/no forn stuff. It's anniversary 15 of the 2005 experience, I'd love a video look back at that team and the games. Much better than petro with red eyes pushing coach cliches and straining to avoid saying anything of substance.

LM did its loyola preview yesterday-down 60 percent of scoring and a new goalie-that's a must win. yes they're a better program than they were 10 years ago, but their recruiting according to ty xanders isn't. Owning charles street has to be part of the foundation of Hopkins lacrosse. we're not a nationally elite program today if we can't bully mid majors in our own neighborhood.

College crosse which has the best offseason daily content ran the 2020 scheduling numbers and we're in the top 10 for most categories and the top for about half. The catch is that without uva our potential top 5 wins are down to umd, psu, a b1g game against one of the two, maybe cuse and or unc. You figure michigan, navy, rutgers, delaware aren't going to be top 20 games and probably 1 of princeton/osu and it underscores how important beating towson AND loyola is to start the year to bolster the resume.
1. I myself equate that to be a successful program you need to have very good recruiting class rankings, but there are exceptions to this belief of mine. Loyola simply can't "be better" at recruiting because it CANNOT compete with the big named lacrosse schools due to a variety of factors. That's not to say that our recruiting sucked- but we're not a program that brings in a handful of power 100 recruits year in year out. Hopkins brings in what 6-7 nearly every year? I at least would like to believe that the school has been successful in its own right the past decade with the way how they recruited, who they recruited, and the on field records that came as a result of said recruitment.

2. The past decade shows that Towson and Loyola, in my eyes cannot be viewed as a mid major with how fast Towson has risen in the national rankings and the quality players they've produced. Same with my alma mater.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Am I missing something - isn't Loyola 5-1 against Hopkins since 2013? They are the better program - pure and simple. They have top flight defensemen falling out of trees - a 30 goal scorer transfer in the mid-field - and while yes - the loss of Spencer is almost immeasurable - the attackmen coming back aren't exactly two fat ladies with gout. Getting acclimated to the loss of Spencer and having to replace Stover may give Hopkins some hope so early in the season but anyone that thinks Hopkins should be the favorite is nuts. They just also might be better coached - if you subscribe to the ranking theory that Hopkins must have better talent - then the coaching issue is almost an inescapable conclusion. 5-1 is not an accident - it is a trend.

'06 your arrogance is showing. Rutgers and Delaware are very likely going to be Top 20 teams and one or both may beat Hopkins. The word on my street is the freshman attackman for the Blue Hens is off the charts - maybe we should have recruited him instead of his teammate. My spidey sense says a Tuesday night in Newark - 4th game in 10 days - no fans for Hop except the parents and CBB et al. - is the trap of all traps. 2018 - Tied going into the 4th quarter. 2019 - Hens up by 2 in the 4th. Awesome Hopkins comebacks - does it happen up there? I wouldn't bet on it. Michigan has alot of senior talent - the game is @ Homewood that should help. Navy is a bit of a question mark with the new coach - Annapolis has gone so well for Hopkins in recent years I wouldn't worry
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:36 pm Am I missing something - isn't Loyola 5-1 against Hopkins since 2013? They are the better program - pure and simple. They have top flight defensemen falling out of trees - a 30 goal scorer transfer in the mid-field - and while yes - the loss of Spencer is almost immeasurable - the attackmen coming back aren't exactly two fat ladies with gout. Getting acclimated to the loss of Spencer and having to replace Stover may give Hopkins some hope so early in the season but anyone that thinks Hopkins should be the favorite is nuts. They just also might be better coached - if you subscribe to the ranking theory that Hopkins must have better talent - then the coaching issue is almost an inescapable conclusion. 5-1 is not an accident - it is a trend.

'06 your arrogance is showing. Rutgers and Delaware are very likely going to be Top 20 teams and one or both may beat Hopkins. The word on my street is the freshman attackman for the Blue Hens is off the charts - maybe we should have recruited him instead of his teammate. My spidey sense says a Tuesday night in Newark - 4th game in 10 days - no fans for Hop except the parents and CBB et al. - is the trap of all traps. 2018 - Tied going into the 4th quarter. 2019 - Hens up by 2 in the 4th. Awesome Hopkins comebacks - does it happen up there? I wouldn't bet on it. Michigan has alot of senior talent - the game is @ Homewood that should help. Navy is a bit of a question mark with the new coach - Annapolis has gone so well for Hopkins in recent years I wouldn't worry
IAll good points, but Johns Hopkins should always be the alpha male on its own street and with uva off the schedule these early games take on added importance for may. The game notes have always prominently featured the teams dominance in the state under the Petro reign because it's important.

I'm going by the previews I've read on the rest of the schedule. Delaware, Michigan, Navy, all nice improving programs but we're supposed to have more of everything than them and enough depth for the 4 in 10. For example we have 4 il rated kids competing for the goalie job.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:21 pm They keep posting social media interviews where Petro essentially says nothing. Useless content. Give us a look at freshmen we'll be watching for 4 years, returning veterans and how they've worked on their games. Not everything related to the group is top secret/no forn stuff. It's anniversary 15 of the 2005 experience, I'd love a video look back at that team and the games. Much better than petro with red eyes pushing coach cliches and straining to avoid saying anything of substance.

1. I myself equate that to be a successful program you need to have very good recruiting class rankings, but there are exceptions to this belief of mine. Loyola simply can't "be better" at recruiting because it CANNOT compete with the big named lacrosse schools due to a variety of factors. That's not to say that our recruiting sucked- but we're not a program that brings in a handful of power 100 recruits year in year out. Hopkins brings in what 6-7 nearly every year? I at least would like to believe that the school has been successful in its own right the past decade with the way how they recruited, who they recruited, and the on field records that came as a result of said recruitment.

2. The past decade shows that Towson and Loyola, in my eyes cannot be viewed as a mid major with how fast Towson has risen in the national rankings and the quality players they've produced. Same with my alma mater.
Army maybe had one kid ranked in the top 100 of their graduating year. Rankings are overrated IMO.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Many times schools like Hopkins and other top tier programs have 6 or 7 top 100 players because they are going to those schools. The minute a kid commits to one of those schools he is being considered for those lists. It was even more prevalent in the early recruiting days. You can go back to top 100 lists and find a large percentage of the players that had average or below average careers. That being said Hopkins sure gets it's fair share of top recruits.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Not for nothing. Here is another reason for my dislike for Daniels and one reason I stopped giving. Now, I am small potatoes but a family member wasn't = not in Bloomberg's realm but a good sized donor. He found out about this a few years ago and stopped donating. He saw no reason.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... story.html

While I am certainly not against diversity and it appears Hopkins took a very broad spectrum view on "legacy" but I'm not sure this is something to exactly be proud of. I have no issue with unqualified legacies not getting in but if all things being equal a qualified legacy should be in but wasn't because of the drive for "diversity." Naturally, the article talks about the $1.8 billion given by Bloomberg but doesn't connect it with the drop in legacies admissions (many likely in because they can pay full freight) that allowed more of this to happen.

I also don't miss the irony of this article that came out Monday and the Hopkins brochure on gifting giving hitting my mail box nor the phone call from 410-516-xxxx later that evening. Yup, right in the trash and no answer.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:42 am I have no issue with unqualified legacies not getting in but if all things being equal a qualified legacy should be in but wasn't because of the drive for "diversity."
There's no evidence that this is actually happening.
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:35 am Many times schools like Hopkins and other top tier programs have 6 or 7 top 100 players because they are going to those schools. The minute a kid commits to one of those schools he is being considered for those lists. It was even more prevalent in the early recruiting days. You can go back to top 100 lists and find a large percentage of the players that had average or below average careers. That being said Hopkins sure gets it's fair share of top recruits.
The most recent top 100 ranking was compiled before any of those kids committed. The results were pretty much the same.
Lenwood117 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 am Army maybe had one kid ranked in the top 100 of their graduating year. Rankings are overrated IMO.
Army made the NCAA tournament just twice in the last decade, so maybe the rankings aren't so overrated.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 am
steel_hop wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:42 am I have no issue with unqualified legacies not getting in but if all things being equal a qualified legacy should be in but wasn't because of the drive for "diversity."
xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:35 am Many times schools like Hopkins and other top tier programs have 6 or 7 top 100 players because they are going to those schools. The minute a kid commits to one of those schools he is being considered for those lists. It was even more prevalent in the early recruiting days. You can go back to top 100 lists and find a large percentage of the players that had average or below average careers. That being said Hopkins sure gets it's fair share of top recruits.
The most recent top 100 ranking was compiled before any of those kids committed. The results were pretty much the same.
Lenwood117 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 am Army maybe had one kid ranked in the top 100 of their graduating year. Rankings are overrated IMO.
Army made the NCAA tournament just twice in the last decade, so maybe the rankings aren't so overrated.
Oh, it is happening.

Your best bet is to accidentally check the Other box or claim Pocahontas.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:03 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 am
Oh, it is happening.

Your best bet is to accidentally check the Other box or claim Pocahontas.
Seriously, someone can't be that dense to think that. The numbers of offers went from 30% (not knowing if they are qualified or not) to less than 3%.

The assumption made by Hopkins is that legacies are less qualified. More than likely most are qualified given many legacies are likely to come from affluent families.

I'm assuming Hopkins will wonder why their donation percentages drop without connecting the two issues.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I think you would find lower % of legacy admissions over the past 40 years or so at nearly any highly selective school.

It's crazy hard to get into these schools and, though legacies typically get a significant boost, it's simply much harder to get in than in yesteryear.

I think the accusation about "diversity" getting in the way of legacies is somewhat misplaced. Yes, there are "diverse" students with academic credentials comparable to legacies who we might argue are being given preference over the legacy applicant, but the real issue squeezing legacies is that there are far more applicants today, from far further reaches, who simply have much better packages of attributes desired by any admissions department.

That's hard on parents who think their Johnny or Sally would fit in great at Hopkins, like they did, but it's simply not the same competitive pool it was back in the parents' day.

So, a parent who wants to optimize their kid's chances needs to start early on helping their kid explore what his/her special passion may be. It almost doesn't matter what it is, if the passion for achievement in any particular arena can be tapped, the motivation to excel can take that kid to a differentiated level with whatever innate talents they may have. Without that special passion though, there an awful lot of extremely bright kids in the world who do bring something special to the table.

As this is a lax thread, obviously one such passion can be sports. But there are lots of passions that light a kid up.

But no special passion, then maybe Hopkins and schools like it are just not the right place for them.
All is not lost, those passions can come later.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

What the article doesn’t address is the effect cost was having on the composition of the student body.

Hopkins found it was having to accept less qualified students who could pay the cost because they didn’t have the resources to give financial aid to the better qualified student. Hence the Bloomberg gift’s importance to the school. Side note this was also affecting lax recruiting. The other coping mechanism was accepting foreign students whose parents could pay the full bill without financial aid eg China and India for example. I think that needs to be accounted for in any analysis

I agree with Steel in believing generally speaking a legacy of comparable standing is entitled to the benefit of the doubt if they are a direct legacy read immediate family going back one generation eg grandparent and grandson. I think Harvard’s definition was way out of line.

I was on the Harvard yard a couple of years ago and noticed that literally 90% of the tours in the four hours I was there were Asian. I can understand why they sued.

I also stopped giving a few years back because of, as I understood it, were policies thst were driving talent out
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lot of dog whistling. Show me the evidence that qualified legacy applicants are getting rejected in favor of less qualified students from more diverse backgrounds. There are far, FAR too many qualified applicants every year for all of them to get in. Kids of every stripe who deserve to get in, do not. How dare the school actually try to build a qualified student body that looks somewhat like the country the school is in. They're not letting in unqualified students. But they sure were when they were accepting a lot more legacies than they should have.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

First look in the 10 day forecast of weather for the 25th - high of 46 - 40% chance of showers - obviously things can change by a multitude of degrees but 46 is doable. I hope Hopkins publishes a schedule - are they playing two full "games" or a half against each team - I just don't want to stand around at 10 AM watching EMO/man down for an hour.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:55 pm First look in the 10 day forecast of weather for the 25th - high of 46 - 40% chance of showers - obviously things can change by a multitude of degrees but 46 is doable. I hope Hopkins publishes a schedule - are they playing two full "games" or a half against each team - I just don't want to stand around at 10 AM watching EMO/man down for an hour.
According to Marquette's website, they are playing us at 10 and then Richmond at 12. That could mean one of two things:

Half games
10am - Marquette vs. Hop
11am - Richmond vs. Hop
12pm - Marquette vs. Richmond

OR

Full games
10am - Marquette vs. Hop
12pm - Marquette vs. Richmond
2pm - Richmond vs. Hop

I sorta suspect it's the former (aren't there rules teams can only play so much in preseason?) but if it's the latter, that middle game would be a good opportunity to go grab a slice and a beer at Hop Deli. Or perhaps several beers depending on what the goalie situation is looking like.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:35 pm I sorta suspect it's the former (aren't there rules teams can only play so much in preseason?) but if it's the latter, that middle game would be a good opportunity to go grab a slice and a beer at Hop Deli. Or perhaps several beers depending on what the goalie situation is looking like.
Heck - in two hours I can make it to Peabody Heights or Union!!!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-as for video of games, the princeton one on the road is probably going to be the espn+ivy thing where you pay for it. the loyola road game was streamed on facebook last time, looks like the terp game at navy was streamed free online. Delaware I'm sure will be like towson has been and streamed free on the caa stuff. the home games should be espn, maybe one of you with deep clc connections can inquire on what the story on reupping that and the b1g are.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm Lot of dog whistling. Show me the evidence that qualified legacy applicants are getting rejected in favor of less qualified students from more diverse backgrounds. There are far, FAR too many qualified applicants every year for all of them to get in. Kids of every stripe who deserve to get in, do not. How dare the school actually try to build a qualified student body that looks somewhat like the country the school is in. They're not letting in unqualified students. But they sure were when they were accepting a lot more legacies than they should have.
The school has targeted schools it recruits at, and in practice it does not seek a student body that looks like America. When I was there every single class particularly in the humanities was maybe 10-20 percent if not more composed of kids who went to elite new england boarding schools and nyc private schools which is maybe .01% of American high schools. add in long island and new jersey and that's a good 40-50 percent of the arts and sciences school if not more. It's much higher at ivy league schools. Hopkins is not sending staff to suburban toledo or 500 kid high schools in rural west virginia.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”