Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

Also, anyone who has IL Face-off Yearbook for 2020- can you post the write up about the Hounds
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Houndace - Some good comments all around. I've figured it out. "Trust in Toomey". Sorry guys, please no acronyms, this is a family friendly Board. I think Shaffer did a decent job in the Fall for the time he got and I hope we don't get on a Goalie Merry-Go-Round like UVA went through. It's tough on those boys. If Toomey looks for a change we can cross that bridge when we get there. Right now I suspect the Defense will be focused on the present and trying to figure out how to play well together. They've got to build some chemistry because there are two new positions in play - losing Stover and Volante opens up those two spots. Current poles are very athletic, lanky, but young. Railey, McNulty and Johnson are the old hands (did I miss someone) and Railey has only played one full season. McNulty will be the workhorse. Wyers and Hughes (injured last year) have each played one season. Who knows how good this unit will be? And yes, you should be able to throw LeBlanc, Middleton and James into the mix. The defenders know what each one is capable of doing and I believe it will be a strength by season's end. Right now I think the Poles help the goalie; last year it was Stover helping the poles.
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

NovaHound wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:50 pm Houndace - Some good comments all around. I've figured it out. "Trust in Toomey". Sorry guys, please no acronyms, this is a family friendly Board. I think Shaffer did a decent job in the Fall for the time he got and I hope we don't get on a Goalie Merry-Go-Round like UVA went through. It's tough on those boys. If Toomey looks for a change we can cross that bridge when we get there. Right now I suspect the Defense will be focused on the present and trying to figure out how to play well together. They've got to build some chemistry because there are two new positions in play - losing Stover and Volante opens up those two spots. Current poles are very athletic, lanky, but young. Railey, McNulty and Johnson are the old hands (did I miss someone) and Railey has only played one full season. McNulty will be the workhorse. Wyers and Hughes (injured last year) have each played one season. Who knows how good this unit will be? And yes, you should be able to throw LeBlanc, Middleton and James into the mix. The defenders know what each one is capable of doing and I believe it will be a strength by season's end. Right now I think the Poles help the goalie; last year it was Stover helping the poles.
Well put, i agree the experience at the poles will allow shaefer to grow into the position. I am looking forward to seeing hughes play, he can be nasty.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:32 pm Wow - good chatter on LP. Like to see the Hound fans providing some thoughts. I'll address a few things. Forgot about Higgins. Was probably to busy responding to reflect and think but some of the responses made me do some research. I like data and it can tell you a few things, or not.... :D

MDLAX Fan - You're right. Sorry about confusing you - it happens. I confuse a lot people. I did mean that Swindell's importance to the team is similar to Conrad's importance to UVA, albeit Conrad was an AA for the Nat'l Champs, and what Swindell means to the team reminds me of what Conrad meant to UVA - a two way workhorse. Let's see if I can back this up with metrics.

Throwing out Conrad's Junior season because he only played 5 games.

Points. Ground Balls. Turnovers. Caused Turnovers
Conrad, Senior. 49 95 27. 11
Conrad, Soph. 28. 63. 14. 10

Swindell, Junior 15. 42. 14. 3. (look at the jump in GB's from his prior season).
Swindell, Soph. 9. 9. 6. 0

Scanlon. 58. 23. 26. 2

Drapeau, Senior. 50. 31. 15. 4

I threw in Drapeau's Senior stats and Scanlon's stats just to see if it shows anything. I'd be interested in opinions. I like where this is heading for Swindell. He's a dang good player and it's an upward trajectory! Offensively he would need to increase his production significantly to be in the ballpark with Conrad, but heck, even if he is in the parking lot next to the stadium that's close enough for me. Someone mentioned to me that last year he was in the defensive huddle during games and this past fall he was in the offense huddle. I'm not sure if that is correct or not but if it is true it's got to mean something.

Ditto on Milhouse - he's got Jets for legs. I also think Razanka and Raba step up in big ways this season.
Yes, a very important 2-way workhorse. I hope he has a wonderful season!

I like data too; thanks for the analysis!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NovaHound wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:50 pm Houndace - Some good comments all around. I've figured it out. "Trust in Toomey". Sorry guys, please no acronyms, this is a family friendly Board. I think Shaffer did a decent job in the Fall for the time he got and I hope we don't get on a Goalie Merry-Go-Round like UVA went through. It's tough on those boys. If Toomey looks for a change we can cross that bridge when we get there. Right now I suspect the Defense will be focused on the present and trying to figure out how to play well together. They've got to build some chemistry because there are two new positions in play - losing Stover and Volante opens up those two spots. Current poles are very athletic, lanky, but young. Railey, McNulty and Johnson are the old hands (did I miss someone) and Railey has only played one full season. McNulty will be the workhorse. Wyers and Hughes (injured last year) have each played one season. Who knows how good this unit will be? And yes, you should be able to throw LeBlanc, Middleton and James into the mix. The defenders know what each one is capable of doing and I believe it will be a strength by season's end. Right now I think the Poles help the goalie; last year it was Stover helping the poles.

We literally have a surplus of D1 starting defensemen. Hughes and Wyers would start anywhere in the country, as would Railey and Johnson. The freshman Weiss is a total animal.

I have not seen many mentions of Najee Taylor here. When you see him on any unit this spring, tell me it doesn't look like everyone else is standing still while he runs north-south. Possibly the singly fastest D1 player.
bam1972

Post by bam1972 »

What do the first two midfield lines look like they will be?

Same with starting attack?
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:07 am

We literally have a surplus of D1 starting defensemen. Hughes and Wyers would start anywhere in the country, as would Railey and Johnson. The freshman Weiss is a total animal.

I have not seen many mentions of Najee Taylor here. When you see him on any unit this spring, tell me it doesn't look like everyone else is standing still while he runs north-south. Possibly the singly fastest D1 player.
with regards t Taylor, from what i saw in the fall, extremely fast, but needs to work on lacrosse skills and strength
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

bam1972 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am What do the first two midfield lines look like they will be?

IMO, Middies in no particular order, from what is saw at Villinova last fall, i think all will see plenty of play time
Middies Attack (in order)
Swindell Lindley
Devaraux Olmstead
Wigley Kamish/Poistras/Raba
Cox Pridmore
Cain
Seay
James
Bateman
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

loyola11 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 pm
bam1972 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am What do the first two midfield lines look like they will be?

IMO, Middies in no particular order, from what is saw at Villinova last fall, i think all will see plenty of play time
Middies
Swindell
Devaraux
Wigley
Cox
Cain
Seay
James
Bateman

Attack in order
Lindley
Olmstead
Kamish/Poitras/Raba
Pridemor
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

We also have a surplus of fogos.
Nice change going from 1 to 3 very good guys.

LSM the same way.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... loyola-men

also worth nothing that freshmen GK Teitelbaum was sidelined in the fall due to injury. If this injury persists then we really only have two active Goalies since Whitaker is out as well. Thus, if this were the case then Shafer and Tabor are the Goalies left.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Thanks for posting Houndace.

I did not know Loyola ranked 4th in Man Down defense last year. :o That's impressive. 42nd in Caused Turnovers. :cry: Hopefully they will improve on that stat.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm Thanks for posting Houndace.

I did not know Loyola ranked 4th in Man Down defense last year. :o That's impressive. 42nd in Caused Turnovers. :cry: Hopefully they will improve on that stat.
No Problem! also noted that Collin McCarthy is no longer on the roster for the team because he switched roles to now be an undergrad assistant coach! Bio says he took a medical retirement ahead of the 2020 season.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Yeah - great young man. Dealt with a lot of injuries. Glad to see he is still part of the program and giving back. Coach Toomey sticks with his guys and keeps them involved even when they can no longer play or participate. Shows a lot of good leadership and commitment.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:32 pmWow - good chatter on LP. Like to see the Hound fans providing some thought...
Nova, how dare you?! This is FL, not LP! B***h, you in my house now! :) Just kidding. Just a little giddy as it's January 13th and... Giddy. 3 weeks until the first game. Scrimmages start this weekend. Amazing...

I'm very curious about Loyola. Swindell is one of the pieces of their puzzle that I'm curious about. But more importantly, anyone know anything about Liam Bateman?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Whew Matnum - you almost had me going :lol: Yep - getting closer to game time. Haven't heard anything about Bateman. I'll keep my ear to the ground. I did take a look at the Roster and that Toomey influence on high and tight haircuts was pretty evident with a lot of the men. I think they all went to the barber before reporting back. Almost thought I was looking at the Navy roster. I'm still chuckling about that. Getting my Cold Weather Gear ready for Ridley, although this weather is playing a lot of tricks on me.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I'll need to go through my posts/e-mails to find out who but one of you animals within this thread gave me a tip about Bateman for my fantasy league and... I'm starting to question this tip. To be fair, he performed in HS. It's not like I picked him blindly. But this guy was saying that during preseason play (last season), he was doing some serious damage. Anyway, if I don't figure out who it was, I'll just blame anyone with the word "hound" in their username. Or, better, someone get this Bateman kid on the field!
Caddy Day
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:50 pm I'll need to go through my posts/e-mails to find out who but one of you animals within this thread gave me a tip about Bateman for my fantasy league and... I'm starting to question this tip. To be fair, he performed in HS. It's not like I picked him blindly. But this guy was saying that during preseason play (last season), he was doing some serious damage. Anyway, if I don't figure out who it was, I'll just blame anyone with the word "hound" in their username. Or, better, someone get this Bateman kid on the field!
I agree Bateman has talent, this fall just seemed to struggle and was a step slow, has great potential, but not sure if he fits in with Toomey's transition style offense
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Olddog

Post by Olddog »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:26 am https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... loyola-men

also worth nothing that freshmen GK Teitelbaum was sidelined in the fall due to injury. If this injury persists then we really only have two active Goalies since Whitaker is out as well. Thus, if this were the case then Shafer and Tabor are the Goalies left.
Looks like the Hounds picked up a transfer in goal....

https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... rraro/8525

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”