The Business of Innovation

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
foreverlax

The Business of Innovation

Post by foreverlax »

Innovation during our lifetimes has been remarkable.

- Radio (fixed) to BoomBox (portable) to Walkman (small) to Ipod (wireless)

- Books in a library to brick and mortor book stores to Amazon to Kindle

- Bicycle to stationary rider to wind trainer to Peloton

The last being the most fascinating to me. Lighter, stronger, and some minor gear innovations, the typical bike hasn't changed much since invented.

Then someone found a way to bring the bike inside so riding year round was now possible - the exercise bike. The serious riders wanted to ride their actual road bike inside and along comes the wind trainer.

Riding inside becomes a thing, so let's have group "spinning" classes so we can all sweat together.

And now, the Peloton. Take a bike, add a computer and now you have the "best of all worlds"....the ability to ride inside, in a class setting, while in the comfort of your home.

Winners - all the new jobs created by Peloton - trainers, content managers, delivery folks, service, manufacturing etc.
Losers - gyms, spin clubs, spin trainers.

Taking something as simple as a book/radio/bike, mix in some technology and viola, innovation.....and all that comes with it.

Fascinating to think about what technology can do to change an entire landscape of "mousetraps".
youthathletics

Re: The Business of Innovation

Post by youthathletics »

Neat idea for a thread....thx.

This is how I ride indoors (video below). Anyone who has never tried indoor rollers has never really realized how poor their riding form is. I do not like Peleton, at all, or even stationary bikes...especially as a recreational cyclists. There is little comparison to actually spinning a real bicycle. Certainly they serve a valuable purpose for those injured, on meds, or getting up in age....I am sure I will change my tune one I get older. Peleton has done a great marketing job.

To ride on rollers, your core must be in good shape, otherwise you are going down. You really do not realize how much wasted effort you expel on a stationary by improper form...which can also cause undue injury. If you do try rollers, please put on a helmet until you figure it out...experience speaking.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
njbill

Post by njbill »

Love the daughter comment. :)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Indeed.

Check some of these our.... https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... llers+fail

:lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:02 am Innovation during our lifetimes has been remarkable.

The last being the most fascinating to me. Lighter, stronger, and some minor gear innovations, the typical bike hasn't changed much since invented.

Then someone found a way to bring the bike inside so riding year round was now possible - the exercise bike. The serious riders wanted to ride their actual road bike inside and along comes the wind trainer.

Riding inside becomes a thing, so let's have group "spinning" classes so we can all sweat together.

And now, the Peloton. Take a bike, add a computer and now you have the "best of all worlds"....the ability to ride inside, in a class setting, while in the comfort of your home.

Winners - all the new jobs created by Peloton - trainers, content managers, delivery folks, service, manufacturing etc.

Taking something as simple as a book/radio/bike, mix in some technology and viola, innovation.....and all that comes with it.

Fascinating to think about what technology can do to change an entire landscape of "mousetraps".

great thread. i always thought it was interesting that mobile phones started no-flip, then flip, then back.

and, they were big. then small. now big again. which of course is a function of needing larger browsing screen.

and then the same happened with headphones- they were huge- then small. now for some reason, kids can't get them big enough.

in my head, i think of breadcrumbs. think about it. start with wheat, processed down to flour. then made up into bread. then, back down to breadcrumbs! what a process just to get the end product...
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:43 pm great thread. i always thought it was interesting that mobile phones started no-flip, then flip, then back.
Now they're back to flip!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/371946/hands ... ne-returns
ChairmanOfTheBoard

:lol:

id heard about something like this but it was more of a side-to-side flip.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 pm Neat idea for a thread....thx.

This is how I ride indoors (video below). Anyone who has never tried indoor rollers has never really realized how poor their riding form is. I do not like Peleton, at all, or even stationary bikes...especially as a recreational cyclists. There is little comparison to actually spinning a real bicycle. Certainly they serve a valuable purpose for those injured, on meds, or getting up in age....I am sure I will change my tune one I get older. Peleton has done a great marketing job.

To ride on rollers, your core must be in good shape, otherwise you are going down. You really do not realize how much wasted effort you expel on a stationary by improper form...which can also cause undue injury. If you do try rollers, please put on a helmet until you figure it out...experience speaking.

Heck yea!!!! Rollers are for real riders ONLY!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

My industry is the absolute best! The best engineers, the best thinkers. Not me mind you, but my colleagues.

For all the young children who have dreamed of landing a plane when your pilots get incapacitated, this new Safe Return function is working and working well. I waited a while to post to be sure that the technology actually functioned, but we have had two real incidents and both times this function worked like a charm! Plus I got to demo yesterday...oh man.

https://www.wired.com/story/cirrus-garm ... fe-return/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvzPpOknjME

Oh and for the Democrat wackos here who need a bogeyman xenophobic reason to hate another made-up enemy (think Russia), Cirrus is owned by the Chinese. And they are making your lives better.

Life is so great!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:43 pm
foreverlax wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:02 am Innovation during our lifetimes has been remarkable.

great thread. i always thought it was interesting that mobile phones started no-flip, then flip, then back.

and, they were big. then small. now big again. which of course is a function of needing larger browsing screen.

and then the same happened with headphones- they were huge- then small. now for some reason, kids can't get them big enough.

in my head, i think of breadcrumbs. think about it. start with wheat, processed down to flour. then made up into bread. then, back down to breadcrumbs! what a process just to get the end product...

… now if only you could actually use them to make a phone call. How great would that be? :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:15 am
Oh and for the Democrat wackos
Even when you have a chance to post something apolitical, you really can't help yourself.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 am
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:43 pm

… now if only you could actually use them to make a phone call. How great would that be? :lol:
there's no real connection between breadcrumbs and phones i suppose!

new business idea??? :D :idea: :idea:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/hist ... 29740657=1

Edison and Tesla's cutthroat 'Current War' ushered in the electric age
A technological battle burned hot between these two geniuses and their competing visions for the future of electricity.

The battle of AC vs. DC electricity. Edison (DC) won the initial battle but Tesla (AC) won the war
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kismet wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:22 am https://www.nationalgeographic.com/hist ... 29740657=1

Edison and Tesla's cutthroat 'Current War' ushered in the electric age
A technological battle burned hot between these two geniuses and their competing visions for the future of electricity.

The battle of AC vs. DC electricity. Edison (DC) won the initial battle but Tesla (AC) won the war
Edison, just like the company he founded, GE, was always better at marketing than he (they) was technology (technical innovation). Tesla was the real technical genius. It took him a hundred years to get his due, recognition among the general populous, if only the better educated. Happens all to often with innovations.

Until the 1980-90s everyone credited the invention of the digital computer to Eckert and Mauchly at the University of Pennsylvania. It was really invented by John Atanasoff a professor at Iowa State. Mauchly stole (the story is more complicated) and patented it along with the University of Pennsylvania. Iowa State never felt it made sense to patent the innovation. It took 30 years to set the record straight.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

A man that changed the visual vocabulary of the 20th century.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/obit ... EiMDmLJ5RE
tech37

Post by tech37 »

6ftstick wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:13 am A man that changed the visual vocabulary of the 20th century.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/26/obit ... EiMDmLJ5RE
Hey 6ft., please check your PMs. Thanks
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I don't know if I would call it innovation, but at least a perspective on how things have changed since 2006:

The only similarity to what we saw last night was Brady.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:19 pm I don't know if I would call it innovation, but at least a perspective on how things have changed since 2006:

The only similarity to what we saw last night was Brady.
I wasn't a fan of last night's SB performance!

Loved the performance of Lady Gaga at the Inauguration, beautifully done with genuine emotional connection, minimum of extraneous flourishes...not sure what the mess last night was supposed to be..."unity" ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I would encourage folks to check in general chatter about the 3D printed house. This technology, 3D printing, has the potential to be a Kondriatiev wave level innovation for all of society IMO.

Conceptually similar innovation, this may bleed into other thread topics, but what is the argument against GMOs? Particularly when I've read we can create superfoods such as tomatoes which provide a full days nutrients for a person. If it's the "unkown" of science, that doesn't seem very "progressive" to me. Strikes me, raw meat for the hardcore right, that it's an anachronistic concept on the left which has some abtract devotion to food coming from the ground regardless of net contribution to humankind. But there's a few scientists poking around here, so maybe they can enlighten me on some risk or downside I am not aware of.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm I would encourage folks to check in general chatter about the 3D printed house. This technology, 3D printing, has the potential to be a Kondriatiev wave level innovation for all of society IMO.

Conceptually similar innovation, this may bleed into other thread topics, but what is the argument against GMOs? Particularly when I've read we can create superfoods such as tomatoes which provide a full days nutrients for a person. If it's the "unkown" of science, that doesn't seem very "progressive" to me. Strikes me, raw meat for the hardcore right, that it's an anachronistic concept on the left which has some abtract devotion to food coming from the ground regardless of net contribution to humankind. But there's a few scientists poking around here, so maybe they can enlighten me on some risk or downside I am not aware of.
Biggest issues of GMOs seem to be (from the perspective of family farms):

Concentration of corporate power - rapid consolidation of seed industry for crops, in particular.

Contamination of non-GMO crops (pollination from GMO crops modifying non-GMO crops
(this also leads to inability of those farms to export to places that ban GMO crops).

Evolution of superweeds/superpests that are resistant to control measures.

Lowering of biodiversity (endangering crops by making them more susceptible to above).

Patents lead to large licensing costs - making seeds much more expensive.

Return to “POLITICS”