SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Andersen

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Andersen »

So let me get this straight, the wife of a sitting Supreme Court Justice, the sitting President, and several Congressmen and Senators conspire to overturn an election and the Constitution of the United States. Aside from the Civil War, has anything close to this every happened in U.S. History? This was unimaginable to me ten years ago.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:33 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:21 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:11 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:52 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 am
Kismet wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:30 am
CU88 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:06 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:27 am There was a question of was Thomas really in the hospital. I would say yes. The information released on his "illness" is not good. The claim is he is on intravenous antibiotics. Likely meaning he is sceptic. You wouldn't release this kind of information if he was just hiding out. The original expectation was that he would be released 2-3 days ago. He is still in the hospital as far as I know. The court has declined to supply any additional information since Sunday. Clearly what is going on is more serious than originally imagined.
I would not be surprised if he retires in the near future due to "health" reasons?
I don't see it unless there are more developments with his spouse and any other incriminating information that would raise the possibility of an impeachment. Retirement would have to cut off any investigation of him personally.

Replacing him does not change the balance of the court much except it puts the Chief back in the swing vote in certain cases.
mmm, replacing him would take away a lot of the risks currently faced. Not swing it to liberal, but off the deep conservative bent now on.

If the Dems lose the Senate, and this comes up then, would McConnell even allow a vote? I don't think so.

Seems to me that if the "retirement" is due to political rather than actual health reasons, it might not be just an impending impeachment, but rather the ongoing heat of the investigation into Ginni. There'd be a lot less heat, not zero, but a lot less, if he was no longer on the SC. And the questions will be coming again and again as there are more revelations, as I think it's a safe bet there will be. She's off her rocker and had access to all the top players in this mess, so there'll be more.

And what did he know and when did he know it will keep being a problem for Thomas, regardless of whether an actual impeachment is started in the House.

So, a preemptive turn down the heat, reduce the stakes, would be a rational play...but are these people rational?
Why are you discussing removing Thomas? Has anyone of credibility even mentioned as much in the media, better yet even insuinated it? (I understand that this is what YOU want to happen, but you frame it as if it is a LIKELIHOOD). Do you not see anything wrong with that? Jesus you really love to think you can control things you absolutely have ZERO control over. The man just got out of the hospital. Hopefully his health is better. Maybe it forces him from his position, hopefully not. Whether or not this is an online forum, are you incapable of seeing how you come off sometimes? Like you feel like you have to be in control of every situation and that you have your hand on the pulse of every situation when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth. Even if it that's not the way you are trying to portray it, it's how it COMES OFF. The fact you are incapable of seeing it more than a handful of times is either hubris, willful ignorance or some combination of both. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this is an anonymous forum. There's just no way you could get away with this stuff in a normal in-person interaction. Hopefully it's the lack of context in this format. It amazes me sometimes. :roll:

Joe
... I think you are living in a fantasy land. There have been calls for Thomas' impeachment in the press based on the wife's behavior. But even if there weren't I really don't see anything written in this post by MDlax that is out of bounds. It is properly conditioned speculation. Suitable for this or any forum, including in-person interaction. Something about it clearly bothers you, but I think that is your problem, not MDlax's. There is no suggestion of control by MDlax in his post.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm living in a fantasy land? You are the king of it? Talk about living in with blinders on. There's a whole world outside this little insular forum. The sooner you realize that, the happy you will be. Take up a hobby or two. Jeez.

Joe

... thank you, got all the hobbies I can afford, I am totally happy. Bless your heart.
This exchange reminds me how much I didn't miss lectures by Joe while he was in the penalty box for like THREE MONTHS because he doesn't have enough self-control to not continually threaten the admin who runs this place. Next time it will be SIX MONTHS! I think Joe should go for it!!!!!!

Joe Mauer has some of the most thoughtful, balanced posts on this forum.

The fact you’d prefer to see his voice gone for 6 months is quite the unintentional tell.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Andersen wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:16 pm So let me get this straight, the wife of a sitting Supreme Court Justice, the sitting President, and several Congressmen and Senators conspire to overturn an election and the Constitution of the United States. Aside from the Civil War, has anything close to this every happened in U.S. History? This was unimaginable to me ten years ago.
Have you noticed that not one single Republican poster has commented on this? Because who cares, right? I"m a Republican, and anything that a R does is fine by me.

If only Nixon could see this cr*p. He would know that had he done all those things in 2022......Republican voters wouldn't care, and he would NEVER have been removed from office.

The Republican party is in complete and utter shambles. It's sad, and has made American a lesser place.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:13 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:27 am There was a question of was Thomas really in the hospital. I would say yes. The information released on his "illness" is not good. The claim is he is on intravenous antibiotics. Likely meaning he is sceptic. You wouldn't release this kind of information if he was just hiding out. The original expectation was that he would be released 2-3 days ago. He is still in the hospital as far as I know. The court has declined to supply any additional information since Sunday. Clearly what is going on is more serious than originally imagined.
I would not be surprised if he retires in the near future due to "health" reasons?
I don't see it unless there are more developments with his spouse and any other incriminating information that would raise the possibility of an impeachment. Retirement would have to cut off any investigation of him personally.

Replacing him does not change the balance of the court much except it puts the Chief back in the swing vote in certain cases.
mmm, replacing him would take away a lot of the risks currently faced. Not swing it to liberal, but off the deep conservative bent now on.

If the Dems lose the Senate, and this comes up then, would McConnell even allow a vote? I don't think so.

Seems to me that if the "retirement" is due to political rather than actual health reasons, it might not be just an impending impeachment, but rather the ongoing heat of the investigation into Ginni. There'd be a lot less heat, not zero, but a lot less, if he was no longer on the SC. And the questions will be coming again and again as there are more revelations, as I think it's a safe bet there will be. She's off her rocker and had access to all the top players in this mess, so there'll be more.

And what did he know and when did he know it will keep being a problem for Thomas, regardless of whether an actual impeachment is started in the House.

So, a preemptive turn down the heat, reduce the stakes, would be a rational play...but are these people rational?
Why are you discussing removing Thomas? Has anyone of credibility even mentioned as much in the media, better yet even insuinated it? (I understand that this is what YOU want to happen, but you frame it as if it is a LIKELIHOOD). Do you not see anything wrong with that? Jesus you really love to think you can control things you absolutely have ZERO control over. The man just got out of the hospital. Hopefully his health is better. Maybe it forces him from his position, hopefully not. Whether or not this is an online forum, are you incapable of seeing how you come off sometimes? Like you feel like you have to be in control of every situation and that you have your hand on the pulse of every situation when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth. Even if it that's not the way you are trying to portray it, it's how it COMES OFF. The fact you are incapable of seeing it more than a handful of times is either hubris, willful ignorance or some combination of both. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this is an anonymous forum. There's just no way you could get away with this stuff in a normal in-person interaction. Hopefully it's the lack of context in this format. It amazes me sometimes. :roll:

Joe
Why on earth is there anything wrong with a polite discussion of when a sitting Supreme Court Justice, 73 years of age, might retire? MDLaxFan and a bunch of us "come off" as speculators, no more and no less. I really wonder why you parachute into these discussions and suggest that the people having the discussion are somehow flawed or immoral.

Thomas's status is newsworthy and discussion-worthy. Thomas is 73; he certainly doesn't appear to anyone who has seen him as the most health conscious guy in the world. His wife is not merely a person active in politics, but is a second generation, ardent culture warrior, who apparently fully supported -- in word, deed and dollar contribution -- the derailing of the Presidential election of 2020, the misuse of power by the Vice President, and the violation of the the Constitution and laws of the United States on January 6, 2021. She has the ear -- every day -- of one of only nine justices of the SC, a court recently hearing cases in which one or two litigants have been trying to quash production of documents relating to the effort to overthrow the election, to incite violence at the Capitol -- something Mrs. Thomas was involved in.

"Jesus you really love to think you can control things you absolutely have ZERO control over." What on earth does this mean? None of us, to my knowledge, have control over Thomas's illness or retirement or marital relations or decision to recuse or not recuse himself from cases in which his spouse has some kind of a material interest.

People interested in the Supreme Court are always talking about the composition of the Court, and therefore who might retire under what President's watch, and under what kind of a Senate. Basic newsworthy stuff -- in person, online, by email and mail, shouting over the fence with my neighbor.
Wasn't directed at you counselor.

Joe
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Joe
... I think you are living in a fantasy land. There have been calls for Thomas' impeachment in the press based on the wife's behavior. But even if there weren't I really don't see anything written in this post by MDlax that is out of bounds. It is properly conditioned speculation. Suitable for this or any forum, including in-person interaction. Something about it clearly bothers you, but I think that is your problem, not MDlax's. There is no suggestion of control by MDlax in his post.

I'm living in a fantasy land? You are the king of it? Talk about living in with blinders on. There's a whole world outside this little insular forum. The sooner you realize that, the happy you will be. Take up a hobby or two. Jeez.

Joe

... thank you, got all the hobbies I can afford, I am totally happy. Bless your heart.
This exchange reminds me how much I didn't miss lectures by Joe while he was in the penalty box for like THREE MONTHS because he doesn't have enough self-control to not continually threaten the admin who runs this place. Next time it will be SIX MONTHS! I think Joe should go for it!!!!!!
You would want nothing more right? Guess what, I am not going to give you that pleasure. Keep those blinders on. Life doesn't exist in a vacuum. :lol: :lol:

Joe
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:20 pm
Andersen wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:16 pm So let me get this straight, the wife of a sitting Supreme Court Justice, the sitting President, and several Congressmen and Senators conspire to overturn an election and the Constitution of the United States. Aside from the Civil War, has anything close to this every happened in U.S. History? This was unimaginable to me ten years ago.
Have you noticed that not one single Republican poster has commented on this? Because who cares, right? I"m a Republican, and anything that a R does is fine by me.

If only Nixon could see this cr*p. He would know that had he done all those things in 2022......Republican voters wouldn't care, and he would NEVER have been removed from office.

The Republican party is in complete and utter shambles. It's sad, and has made American a lesser place.

Probably because most Republicans exhibit a slightly higher degree of caution before losing their heads than, say, like others.

For instance, Most of us feel that January 6 was a legitimate protest, where a small fringe took advantage of a the mob mentality, no weapons were utilized, and there was zero chance of what Democrats are wailing about: INSURRECTION!!! And some of the folks deserve prison, for sure.

Further to that, in the article you won’t read, written by a liberal for a liberal magazine, maybe Democrats need to do a better job persuading others of the enormous dangers that occurred that day, rather than bleating to one another.

the average Republican is better educated and has a higher IQ than the average Democrat. That for every overpowered study finding superior liberal open-mindedness and intellect and knowledge, there is one to suggest that Republicans have the better of these qualities.

Most damning, perhaps, to the fancy liberal self-conception: Republicans score higher in susceptibility to persuasion. They are willing to change their minds more often.

The Republican coalition tends toward the center: educated enough, smart enough, informed enough.

The smug style did not arise by accident, and it cannot be abolished with a little self-reproach. So long as liberals cannot find common cause with the larger section of the American working class, they will search for reasons to justify that failure. They will resent them. They will find, over and over, how easy it is to justify abandoning them further. They will choose the smug style.”

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/ ... liberalism

If you feel Ginny Thomas is a danger to American comity, go for it. Discuss.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:44 pm

Probably because most Republicans exhibit a slightly higher degree of caution before losing their heads than, say, like others.

Oh, totally. Whine for ten pages and lose your mind over some swimmer...and then ignore it direct quotes from the wife of a SCOTUS Justice, looking to subvert a lawful election.

What we we thinking, Pete.....you've got your priorities wired.

Let's return to lying about what Columbus did, and how telling the full story of his life is the devil's work.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:30 pm

Joe
Why on earth is there anything wrong with a polite discussion of when a sitting Supreme Court Justice, 73 years of age, might retire? MDLaxFan and a bunch of us "come off" as speculators, no more and no less. I really wonder why you parachute into these discussions and suggest that the people having the discussion are somehow flawed or immoral.

Thomas's status is newsworthy and discussion-worthy. Thomas is 73; he certainly doesn't appear to anyone who has seen him as the most health conscious guy in the world. His wife is not merely a person active in politics, but is a second generation, ardent culture warrior, who apparently fully supported -- in word, deed and dollar contribution -- the derailing of the Presidential election of 2020, the misuse of power by the Vice President, and the violation of the the Constitution and laws of the United States on January 6, 2021. She has the ear -- every day -- of one of only nine justices of the SC, a court recently hearing cases in which one or two litigants have been trying to quash production of documents relating to the effort to overthrow the election, to incite violence at the Capitol -- something Mrs. Thomas was involved in.

"Jesus you really love to think you can control things you absolutely have ZERO control over." What on earth does this mean? None of us, to my knowledge, have control over Thomas's illness or retirement or marital relations or decision to recuse or not recuse himself from cases in which his spouse has some kind of a material interest.

People interested in the Supreme Court are always talking about the composition of the Court, and therefore who might retire under what President's watch, and under what kind of a Senate. Basic newsworthy stuff -- in person, online, by email and mail, shouting over the fence with my neighbor.

Joe
Oh, understood. It was directed at a cluster of guys -- looks like Kismet, CU88, MDLaxFan and JHU72 -- who were having a discussion about Thomas and the Court and his wife and the ethical issues arising from this slippery mix. And you parachuted into it to excoriate at least MCLaxFan about discussing Thomas's health. Joe, it's just weird the way you blow in and blow up at folks.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:13 pm

Joe

Joe
Oh, understood. It was directed at a cluster of guys -- looks like Kismet, CU88, MDLaxFan and JHU72 -- who were having a discussion about Thomas and the Court and his wife and the ethical issues arising from this slippery mix. And you parachuted into it to excoriate at least MCLaxFan about discussing Thomas's health. Joe, it's just weird the way you blow in and blow up at folks.
Throw her ass in jail, charge her and make her defend herself. If she committed a crime then she should be prosecuted. The saying counselor for us poker players us called chit or get off the pot. It seems to me in my opinion all the FLP folks want to do is whine about it. This is Bidens DOJ, grow some balls and charge her.. if you think you have a case. I don't care what they decide to do to her. I bet dollars to donuts the DOJ does not want to touch this case with a 10 foot pole. Even a simple, high school graduate understand why.
FTR, I really hope she is charged with something. The ongoing chitshow following that would be a real hoot on this forum. If Mr MD is correct he has refered to the texts as " sedition" I don't know about that, but it sure sounds like alot of fun. I'm guessing some very high level folks at DOJ are scratching their head about what to do next.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:32 pm

Joe

Joe

You would want nothing more right? Guess what, I am not going to give you that pleasure. Keep those blinders on. Life doesn't exist in a vacuum. :lol: :lol:

Joe
Thx for nothing, Professor. Lecture Hall remains open I suppose just that the rest of us should withhold any criticism of you because you're so sensitive and always in the right, too. :lol: Might be time to tick off the admin again. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Manchin will support Judge Jackson’s confirmation, pretty much ensuring she will become the next Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/suprem ... -rcna21547

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

That’s because the contemporary Republican Party more closely resembles a fascist movement than one of the two major parties of the world’s greatest democracy that it used to be.

Even Dick Nixon would have been shocked by the corruption, dishonesty, idiocy, and betrayal of today’s former Grand Old Party.

The Fascist Cult of Trump has no room for people with even an ounce of shame, like Nixon had. Today’s Republican fascists practically take pride in their stupidity, ignorance, and lies.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

WORD. He does grievance unlike many others around here...which ends up mostly a harangue of poster's motivations and proclivities, as opposed to, you know, the actual issues...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:41 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:13 pm

Joe

Joe
Throw her ass in jail, charge her and make her defend herself. If she committed a crime then she should be prosecuted. The saying counselor for us poker players us called chit or get off the pot. It seems to me in my opinion all the FLP folks want to do is whine about it. This is Bidens DOJ, grow some balls and charge her.. if you think you have a case. I don't care what they decide to do to her. I bet dollars to donuts the DOJ does not want to touch this case with a 10 foot pole. Even a simple, high school graduate understand why.
FTR, I really hope she is charged with something. The ongoing chitshow following that would be a real hoot on this forum. If Mr MD is correct he has refered to the texts as " sedition" I don't know about that, but it sure sounds like alot of fun. I'm guessing some very high level folks at DOJ are scratching their head about what to do next.
Actually, I hadn't used the word "sedition" in connection with her texts. Did you just make that up?

Have you read all her texts that are out? I haven't.

But the ones I have are truly bonkers, and yes, she's calling for the overthrow of the election...and throwing the Biden family into jail, on a barge, off GITMO for military tribunal...well, that's bonkers right? She can't be serious, right? Because...well, golly, that sure sounds like...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Well, I'm still a registered Republican, though according to several of the other "Republicans" on here I don't deserve to be...but yeah, the Party is a complete mess, completely lost it's moral compass, heck it's lost it's mind. And yes, America is the lesser for it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Well, I'm still a registered Republican, though according to several of the other "Republicans" on here I don't deserve to be...but yeah, the Party is a complete mess, completely lost it's moral compass, heck it's lost it's mind. And yes, America is the lesser for it.
And I have voted Republican in the past, and will do so in the future....at the State and Local level. And as I've written many times....I'm a frustrated fiscal conservative. We need the adult conservatives in the Republican party back. Desperately.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:40 pm

That’s because the contemporary Republican Party more closely resembles a fascist movement than one of the two major parties of the world’s greatest democracy that it used to be.

Even Dick Nixon would have been shocked by the corruption, dishonesty, idiocy, and betrayal of today’s former Grand Old Party.

The Fascist Cult of Trump has no room for people with even an ounce of shame, like Nixon had. Today’s Republican fascists practically take pride in their stupidity, ignorance, and lies.

DocBarrister

I’m just going to start posting this link when a Fanlax leftist posts something so smug and condescending,

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/ ... liberalism
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Your still are a registered Republican??? the 64 thousand dollar question is WHY? You could make 10s of millions of your fellow Republicans ecstatic by changing parties. They might even give you parting gifts.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... a hopeless optimist. ;)
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:04 pm

... a hopeless optimist. ;)
yes, I'll take that...of course, there's some perverse satisfaction in not letting the extremists run me out of the party too. Is it sadism, or masochism? ;)

Return to “POLITICS”