Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
lorin

Re: Navy 2023

Post by lorin »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:24 pm
lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:11 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:58 pm I mean, that's who the best teams have. Perhaps if Navy isn't getting any results with them, they're not nonsense, but the issue is what's going on with Navy
Cuse, GT, Penn has them also how they doing
Well last time Georgetown missed the NCAA Tournament was 2017. Penn has been in the Quarterfinals the last two NCAA Tournaments. So they're two pretty successful programs.

Cuse didn't like the results they were getting despite having them so they fired their HOF coach 2 years ago!
I don’t like dropping kids names on here, but go back five years and look at some of the five star recruits, a lot of misses. Just saying
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:25 am
Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am Forget this year. They have no talent. The goalies are fine. You can’t win with Arline shooting 17% and Skalniak shooting 18%.

Next year Amplo has eight 4 star and three top 50 recruits coming in. Talented players - 2 from McDonogh, 2 from St. Anthony’s, 4 from Chaminade, st Marys, Garden City, Seton Hall Prep, among others. These are elite players from elite programs.

In two years this team will be much more competitive.
I am so sick of hearing of 4/5 star players, hear the same crap from Navy every year, do you not have 4//5 stars on roster right now?
Isn’t 4/5 star ratings still a paid feature? I would be curious to see how many 1 and 2 star players there are. I am sure several “average” kids with money, are paying for the rating. What kind of rating does an an average kid get, that pays for the rating?

I like to look at coaches and writers top players. Maryland has awards that are voted on by coaches and the local papers. I will take an all metro or all state kid, over a 4 star paid rating.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Consider what this Sr Goalie, & the Team D in front of him, did last year, with minimal losses to grad, more than made up for by new fr.
https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... ryan/23729

2022 // Junior Year
• Member of an exceptionally young defense that returned just 1 starter (All-Patriot League defenseman Jackson Bonitz) off the 2021 squad - Navy has first-year starters at goalkeeper (Pat Ryan), 2 at close defense (Kyle Fairbanks, Nick LiCalzi), long-stick midfielder (Zach Snider) and short-stick defensive midfielder (Ryan Chase, Henry Rentz, Augie Fratt)
• Navy’s starting goalkeeper in all 15 contests where he was ranked #11 nationally and #2 in the Patriot League in goals against average (10.07), #26 / #4 in save percentage (53.0) and #51 / #6 in saves per game (10.53) ... also led the team in ground balls with 41
• Anchored a defensive unit that finished the year ranked #12 nationally and #2 in the Patriot League, holding opponents to 10.13 goals per game ... the Mids held 6 of their 15 opponents to single digits in the spring, including 2 of the last 4 (5 Lafayette, 6 Bucknell)
• Part of a defensive effort that held three-consecutive opponents to 6 or fewer goals (5 by Mercer, 6 by Hofstra, 6 by Manhattan) ... it’s the first time Navy has achieved that mark since holding six-straight foes to 5 or fewer goals in 2008
• Named Patriot League Goalkeeper of the Week on May 2 after playing one of the best games of his career. He made 16 saves and allowed just 5 goals for a career-best 76.2 save percentage in the win over Bucknell
• Played a pivotal role in holding Bucknell to just 1 goal over the final 24:32 of the contest ... he faced 13 shots and made 7 saves between their 5th goal and when he was relieved in goal (9:32 3Qtr - 1:56 4Qtr) ... Ryan exited the game with 1:56 left and was not in the game for the final goal by the Bison (0:59).
• Held the Bison scoreless in the 2nd quarter, making 6 saves on 15 shots in the frame
• Led the defensive effort that held #6 Army to its second-fewest goals this season in a 12-11 overtime victory (10 vs. Rutgers, 10 vs. Lehigh)
• Navy’s defense held Army scoreless for 8+ minutes on 3 occasions, including 16:07 (2nd/3rd qtrs) that allowed Navy to pull even at 6-6 in the 3rd quarter and 8:41 (3rd/4th qtrs) that allowed Navy to take its first lead in the game (10-8) since the opening goal of the game (14:02, 1Qtr).
• Produced 11 saves for Navy in his first Army-Navy appearance, including a pair that held Army without a goal over the final 5:16 of regulation.
• Anchored the defensive unit that held Lafayette to its lowest goal output (5) since 2020 when Loyola held the Leopards to 4 ... the Mids held Lafayette scoreless for the first 20:42 of the game and without a goal for another 19:38 stretch ... during both stretches, Navy put together 4-0 scoring runs
• Made 11 saves against the Leopards, while allowing 5 goals ... made 4 saves on 7 shots in the opening quarter, holding Lafayette with a goal in the first frame for the first time this season
• Turned in a career-high 17 saves while giving up 17 against Loyola
• Played the first 19:06 of the game at No. 14 Boston U. where he yielded 8 goals and made just 1 save
• The Mids held Holy Cross scoreless for 8:12 in the second quarter while Navy went on a 4-0 run and built a lead (7-2) it would not relinquish ... also held the Crusaders scoreless for an 11-minute stretch (12:40-1:37) in the final frame
• Part of a defensive unit that held #18 Johns Hopkins scoreless over the final 6:05, enabling the Mids to rally and upset the Blue Jays on their home field 11-10
• Made 4 of his 12 saves in the 4th quarter, making a huge save against JHU leading scorer Joey Epstein when the Blue Jays were a man up with 1:32 to go in the game
• Also made a doorstop save against Garrett Degnon at the crease to stop what would have been a 3-goal run by the Blue Jays ... Degnon led Hopkins with 4 goals
• Made 8 saves, while yielding 10 goals in the come-from-behind win over Colgate
• Turned in 14 saves, while allowing 11 goals in Navy’s Patriot League opener at Lehigh
• Made 10 stops, while giving up a season-high 14 goals in the Mids’ one-goal loss to High Point
• Recorded 7 saves and allowed just 6 goals in Navy’s victory over Manhattan
• Stopped 7 of Hofstra’s 13 shots on goal and grabbed 3 ground balls in the Mids’ 13-6 win
• Made 8 saves, including 6 in the first half to keep Mercer scoreless over the first 30 minutes of the game
• Held Mercer to a season-low 5 goals after the Bears scored 9 against Bellarmine and 14 against Bucknell
• Navy’s defense held Mercer to just 24 shots in the contest ... it’s the fewest shots by a Navy opponent since Furman mustered just 16 shots on Feb. 15, 2020
• After having made 3 career appearances for just under 13 minutes (3 GA, 2 Sv), he earned his first-collegiate start in the Mids’ opener against Mount St. Mary’s (2.5) where he made 16 saves and gave up 11 goals
lorin

Post by lorin »

AbeFroeman wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:30 pm
Henpecked wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am Forget this year. They have no talent. The goalies are fine. You can’t win with Arline shooting 17% and Skalniak shooting 18%.

Next year Amplo has eight 4 star and three top 50 recruits coming in. Talented players - 2 from McDonogh, 2 from St. Anthony’s, 4 from Chaminade, st Marys, Garden City, Seton Hall Prep, among others. These are elite players from elite programs.

I am so sick of hearing of 4/5 star players, hear the same crap from Navy every year, do you not have 4//5 stars on roster right now?
Isn’t 4/5 star ratings still a paid feature? I would be curious to see how many 1 and 2 star players there are. I am sure several “average” kids with money, are paying for the rating. What kind of rating does an an average kid get, that pays for the rating?

I like to look at coaches and writers top players. Maryland has awards that are voted on by coaches and the local papers. I will take an all metro or all state kid, over a 4 star paid rating.
All metro are usually spot on.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:57 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:24 pm
lorin wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:11 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:58 pm I mean, that's who the best teams have. Perhaps if Navy isn't getting any results with them, they're not nonsense, but the issue is what's going on with Navy
Cuse, GT, Penn has them also how they doing
Well last time Georgetown missed the NCAA Tournament was 2017. Penn has been in the Quarterfinals the last two NCAA Tournaments. So they're two pretty successful programs.

Cuse didn't like the results they were getting despite having them so they fired their HOF coach 2 years ago!
I don’t like dropping kids names on here, but go back five years and look at some of the five star recruits, a lot of misses. Just saying
This objectively just isn't true. There are some misses, which happens in literally every sport. If you look at the majority of 5-star recruits, they turn out to be great college players.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

This is so funny

The 2022 Maryland Coaches All-State Team is...

McCabe Millon: 5-star
Dom Pietramala: 5-star
Truitt Sunderland: 5-star
Tucker Wade: 5-star

Jake Bair: 4-star
Michael Weisshair: 5-star
Jordan Wray: 4-star
Jacob Pacheco: 4-star

Mac Eldridge: 5-star
George Acton: 4-star
Jonny Cool: 4-star

A.J. Larkin: 5-star
Charlie Muller: 4-star
Cullen Brown: 4-star
Billy Dwan: 5-star

Kyle Morris: 4-star
Brian Ruppel: 4-star

Good luck finding all those All-State kids who aren't 4 and 5 stars to take over the 4 and 5 star kids!
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:27 pm

This is so funny

Good luck finding all those All-State kids who aren't 4 and 5 stars to take over the 4 and 5 star kids!
Lot of swing and misses with the 5/4 kids some may never see the field
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Weisshaar looks like he’s a five star, still early.
He has gotten in the past few games.

Sunderland, too early to tell.
Millon, not on campus yet.

Larkin, he sure looked like a 5 star, but we’ll have to wait
another year.

Gregorek is the Navy guy I like from next year’s class.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:04 pm

This is so funny

So of the guys above playing D1 now who is lighting it up?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lorin wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:39 am

This is so funny

Inverted logic. They go to teams loaded so rarely are going to get the run early unless they are top five or so in the country. Ones who are at teams generally below the top 6-8 that aren't performing are worth looking at if you want to scrutinize so much.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

This is so funny

I don’t understand your comment. I said the Maryland all state and all metro were a better indicator. And you just proved my point by listing the all state kids. How is this “so funny”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

AbeFroeman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:20 am

This is so funny

I don’t understand your comment. I said the Maryland all state and all metro were a better indicator. And you just proved my point by listing the all state kids. How is this “so funny”
It’s the same kids. How are the Maryland all state kids a better indicator than the 4 and 5 star kids when they’re literally the same player
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:44 am

This is so funny

Inverted logic. They go to teams loaded so rarely are going to get the run early unless they are top five or so in the country. Ones who are at teams generally below the top 6-8 that aren't performing are worth looking at if you want to scrutinize so much.
Have to disagree, somewhat. A 5 star player should have an impact--sometimes major impact--regardless of where they play. In fact, most every top team expects to have 1 -3 freshmen make a meaningful impact every year.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 am
AbeFroeman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:20 am

This is so funny

It’s the same kids. How are the Maryland all state kids a better indicator than the 4 and 5 star kids when they’re literally the same player
Because there are many 4 star kids (based on the pay for evaluation) that are not on any coaches or writers list.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Onto Hopkins St. Patrick's Day evening. Due to the way Hopkins' goalie has been playing, I fear the pattern is going to continue. That is:

Navy's opponent's goalie playing great
Navy's goalie(s) not doing so well

Anyone else fearing this?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I think we've seen plenty of examples where the IL rankings matter very little. Some of our top players have come from public HS's and were not highly ranked by IL, but were in state. Sam Jones, Brady Dove, Colin Flounlacker, DJ Plummer, Chris Fennel, Steve Hinks, Colin Meehan, Christian Daniel, Nick Cole, I am sure i've missed some.

Now we have top ranked 4/5 star players from IL on the field at the same time, and we have barely even moved the needle....why?
Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
essorcalveritas

Post by essorcalveritas »

Navy now has 4 Ls in a row with the last two against PL teams. Despite the next two games being against top 15 teams, at least they are not in the PL. The team needs to find something positive to build on vs. Hop +/- Nova in order to find a way out of this downward spiral, otherwise they are approaching 6 Ls in a row really fast. It started with the O struggling and has now become contagious to the D and Goalies as well. Not sure what type of wakeup call is in order but they need figure things out fast.
A season that started with so much promise is now turning into a nightmare. Fortunately there is still lots of lacrosse to play and lots of talent on the squad. Hope the team finds a way to start putting things back together and find a way get hot late in the season.
old salt

Post by old salt »

SITREP from the best hometown newspaper still in print.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

Navy men’s lacrosse blown out on the road by Colgate, 17-8, the Mids’ fourth straight loss

by Bill Wagner, Mar 11, 2023

Navy men’s lacrosse is officially in crisis mode. The Midshipmen suffered their fourth straight loss and this latest setback wasn’t even close.

Sophomore attackman Rory Connor scored seven goals and assisted two others to lead host Colgate to a convincing 17-8 victory over Navy Saturday at Andy Kerr Stadium in Hamilton, New York.

Junior attackman Michael Minicus dished off five assists for the Raiders, who picked up their first win after starting the season with three losses.

Connor scored five of his goals and Minicus handed off three of his assists during a 10-0 first-half run that basically decided the contest. An unassisted goal by Adam Salvaggio started the onslaught at the 8:17 mark of the first quarter and Connor’s fourth consecutive goal ended it with 8:33 remaining in the second period.

Navy starting goalie Dan Daly gave up nine goals and stopped just three shots before being pulled. Pat Ryan took over between the pipes and did not fare much better, allowing six goals and making just one save.

“I am embarrassed by our performance today. The uninspired effort is my fault,” fourth-year Navy coach Joe Amplo said. “As a staff, we have to evaluate all of the decisions we have made and try to quickly adjust our course. Navy lacrosse should not look like it did today and it is our responsibility to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

Attackmen Ash Carter and Jon Jarosz, along with midfielder Max Hewitt, all scored two goals to lead the Navy offense, which misfired on many levels. The Midshipmen unleashed 49 shots, only 29 going on goal.

Colgate goalie Matt Lacombe recorded 21 saves, but few of them were difficult as Navy settled for too many low-percentage shots.

Navy was playing its first game this season without All-American midfielder Patrick Skalniak, who is out indefinitely with an upper back injury. Dane Swanson, another member of the first midfield, sat out for a second straight game with an undisclosed injury.

Converted attackman Henry Tolker and plebe Jack Flaherty moved onto the first midfield alongside Hewitt. Freshman attackman Race Ripley, an Archbishop Spalding product, made his collegiate debut and produced two assists.

It was the most lopsided loss of the season for the Midshipmen (3-4, 1-1 Patriot League), who have struggled in every area of the field since starting 3-0.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Hopkins on Friday night. As many people are predicting, does Hopkins win handily?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:33 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:44 am

This is so funny

Have to disagree, somewhat. A 5 star player should have an impact--sometimes major impact--regardless of where they play. In fact, most every top team expects to have 1 -3 freshmen make a meaningful impact every year.
Think we’re in the same ballpark. That list is like 50/50 4/5 star above. Generally I’d agree on 5 stars but we see kids who don’t play in ILs top 20-25 every year. A few at least. And four stars below 20-25 are all over the map. airline is a 5 star but not normal situation because of football.

5 star went to 23 in 2021

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/5

22 in 2020

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/rankinglist/4

But with respect to 5 star based on Lorins logic the top ten in the 2020 class are all overrated. It’s fine it’s sour grapes on his part. But yeah navy’s not getting enough out of airline and bonitz.

The UVA five stars aren’t getting a lot of run, think the remnants of Covid 5ths changes a lot still but will wash out in a year or two
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”