2018 Midterm Elections

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: 2018 Midterm Elections

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote:
My only point there, salty one, was that you probably know full well when you wear the MAGA hat that you're apt to encounter a citizen who is going to have a word or two to say about it, and that's part of the reason many/some wear it. Same with my National Rifle Association hat, I know what I'm going to get when I wear that, it's the whole reason I'll be wearing it.

Trumpista hat:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote::lol: Yessir!!

My facebook page...equal parts left and right....voters are in full meltdown.

I LOVE election day, and go into full on, sappy, schmoopy, Walt Whitman mode.

The peaceful transition of power from one's direct vote is still a marvel to me....
BBC reported : 114 million voters in House races, exceeding previous high of 83 million in 2014.
In 2016, Trump + Clinton totaled 129 million voters ?

If Authoritarian Trump is destroying Democracy in the USA, at least the voters are complicit & along for the ride.
(#WWWWWS -- wonder what Walt Whitman would say ?)

Speaking of MAGA hats -- my wife returned tonight from a week's visit with family in Colombia, MO (where Trump rallied the day after she arrived).
I asked her to be on MAGA BOLO alert => no MAGA hat or bumper stickers sighted in Colombia or on I-70 to/from StL airport.
The MAGA hats just exist at Trump rallies & on this forum. Did you see the Native American war bonnets, mixed in with the MAGA hats at Trump's MT rally ?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Results seem to be closer to the pollsters center line than their margins like in 2016.

Dems win house seats in many heavy R districts who overwhelmingly supported Trump. Control of the house seems imminent. Subpoenas and "accountability" will be interesting to follow. Will Trump reach across the aisle to get things done? My vote is that he will blame D's for his massive legislative failures that have already occurred as well as any failure to make meaningful legislation in the next two years. My vote is the D's will mostly obstruct as well, though they seem to be much more willing to compromise in recent history than the R's.

Beto comes closer than any D in recent history to unseating Cruz in heavy red Texas. Margin was thinner than most predicted. Cruz must have been sweating bullets. Coincidentally if Beto had kept mum about gun control he might have won. It's not a winning platform in any swing state, let alone Texas.

I'm not sure what Frito is smoking - maybe he's actually in Michigan where the devil's weed is now legal - congrats to them, hopefully federal legalization follows in the next decade. Keep the government out of my body. ;)

A few governor seats have flipped, and Wisconsin is too close to call - this will reduce the R's massive head start in gerrymandering come the 2020 census, but they'll still have a huge advantage.

Main prediction for the next 2 years: More polarization, mostly driven by calls to far right talking points like the immigrant caravan.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Walker is toast. 50K ballots from Milwaukee were reported late when released swamped all hope Walker had.

Turned out pretty much the way the pollsters called it. I think the analysts were a little too optimistic about dems chances in holding on in the Senate.

Big story no one is talking about YET, once again way more democratic votes cast for representatives, exceeded republican votes for representatives by something like 8 million votes, nationwide.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote:Will Trump reach across the aisle to get things done? My vote is that he will blame D's for his massive legislative failures that have already occurred as well as any failure to make meaningful legislation in the next two years. My vote is the D's will mostly obstruct as well, though they seem to be much more willing to compromise in recent history than the R's.
An interesting dynamic is about to play out. Do the D's retaliate for Trumps loud mouth and bury the next two years a legal red tape, does Trump go quiet and and now deflect responsibility to Ryan, McConnell, Graham, et al.. while working on back door deals with Pelosi friend requests, or double down and get busy pushing legislation to show "I am trying" in order to make a case for a deadbeat House. If and this is a big If, the economy and market starts trending the other way it will be hard to justify that it was not a result of the 2018 mid-terms come time for the 2020 election cycle.

The Dems have two choices IMO...start laying the foundation and getting the word out that the economy is already in trouble, throwing a wet blanket on any ember they see unless they can capitalize on it or hop on the current gravy train and ride it our showing a willingness to extend the olive branch across the isle.

In the end, let's hope we see Trump simmer down and "display" more of leadership role...I am not holding my breath.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

While plenty of laws have been passed in a congress full of pouting pretends with arms crossed, never looking to the aisle, (benfitting the TAATS ) the only trick pony is whether the support, or lack of, for Pelosi will hold true.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/ ... i-question

These three have made it clear they will NOT vote for Pelosi

Conor Lamb, Pennsylvania’s 17th District (already a member but won his first full term in a different district)
Jason Crow, Colorado’s 6th District
Abigail Spanberger, Virginia's 7th District

And, as I have already pointed out, tRump is a loser, blaming the Democrats for not passing immigration reform in late June. Not a WORD about the 41 CONservatives that said NAY.

Was it just a co inky dinky that one of my favorite songs was on the radio yesterday morning driving daughter to school?

"....same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same ...as....it .......ever.......was "

Heading to Jacks Abby to celebrate this PM.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

holmes435 wrote:Results seem to be closer to the pollsters center line than their margins like in 2016.

Dems win house seats in many heavy R districts who overwhelmingly supported Trump. Control of the house seems imminent. Subpoenas and "accountability" will be interesting to follow. Will Trump reach across the aisle to get things done? My vote is that he will blame D's for his massive legislative failures that have already occurred as well as any failure to make meaningful legislation in the next two years. My vote is the D's will mostly obstruct as well, though they seem to be much more willing to compromise in recent history than the R's.

Beto comes closer than any D in recent history to unseating Cruz in heavy red Texas. Margin was thinner than most predicted. Cruz must have been sweating bullets. Coincidentally if Beto had kept mum about gun control he might have won. It's not a winning platform in any swing state, let alone Texas.

I'm not sure what Frito is smoking - maybe he's actually in Michigan where the devil's weed is now legal - congrats to them, hopefully federal legalization follows in the next decade. Keep the government out of my body. ;)

A few governor seats have flipped, and Wisconsin is too close to call - this will reduce the R's massive head start in gerrymandering come the 2020 census, but they'll still have a huge advantage.

Main prediction for the next 2 years: More polarization, mostly driven by calls to far right talking points like the immigrant caravan.
The right’s dog whistles haven’t helped. But the left’s talking points have done their fair share to aid the polarization too. Far from a one-way street.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

thatsmell wrote:
holmes435 wrote:Results seem to be closer to the pollsters center line than their margins like in 2016.

The right’s dog whistles haven’t helped. But the left’s talking points have done their fair share to aid the polarization too. Far from a one-way street.
One way street, the left and the media have never accepted the President’s historic win in 2016. The left has been violent over the results as well chronicled on another thread. The President calls them out as he should and defnends America from these anti Americans both in politics and the media. TDS is the sole cause of the division in the country with a helping from the former Black Muslim President who stroked the racial divide to unprecedented levels we hadn’t seen in a long time. The Democrats and the media are the reason for division. Trump didn’t cause any of it. If you can’t see that, you are completely biased and lying to yourself
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Election is over,
th.jpg
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

@Mikel_Jollett
Follow Follow @Mikel_Jollett
More
If Dems win the House they can:

▪️Subpoena Trump's tax returns.
▪️Protect the Mueller investigation.
▪️Protect Obamacare and pre-existing conditions.
▪️Protect Medicare.
▪️Investigate Trump violations of emoluments & Hatch Act.

This is looking like a GREAT night for democracy.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

jhu72 wrote:Walker is toast. 50K ballots from Milwaukee were reported late when released swamped all hope Walker had.

Turned out pretty much the way the pollsters called it. I think the analysts were a little too optimistic about dems chances in holding on in the Senate.

Big story no one is talking about YET, once again way more democratic votes cast for representatives, exceeded republican votes for representatives by something like 8 million votes, nationwide.

JHU ~ Interesting! Do you have a source for that, please?

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

thatsmell wrote:

I think that's right, but one only has to read the immediately following burst from our resident troll to understand what's been happening, and will be happening over the next 2 years. The divisiveness is due to our recent "Black Muslim President".

While I'm a life-long R, I was rooting for some of the more charismatic D's to win, who did not, because I thought they represented positive messages very well. I was hoping that the message sent from the voters would be totally unambiguous. It was not "totally unambiguous".

But 114 million people voted compared to 83 million in 2014, and they voted overwhelmingly for the party not in power. Randy/old salt's faith in the common man, as a fan pointed out with the Whitman quote, appears to have held. That's a very good thing.

Indeed. D's received 3 million more votes in House races than did R's, and, despite losing seats, D's won 10 million more votes for senate than did R's. Chew on that a bit. Big wins for Governorships, rebuilding 'blue wall'.

It also means that there is a check on the "authoritarian" solidification that I have expressed alarm could happen if the House didn't turn blue. Again, very good thing.

The result will be 'oversight', and a whole bunch of Administration departures. I'm sure discussion of all that, as well as implications for and of the Mueller investigation, will occupy these threads for many months.

It will be interesting to see if the wave of new D Representatives, many of whom are women and veterans and moderates, and many of whom said they would not support Pelosi for Speaker, will exercise their influence. Does she hold the Speakership for long? Do they insist on legislation that can pass, or do they pass legislation that exposes the divide sharply? I have my hunch that they'll tilt more moderate, consistent with the signals being sent this AM.

How does Trump respond to that? Make deals?
Can he compartmentalize, as Clinton did, the legislative/policy from the 'oversight'/investigation?

Or will he tack further right and go into full-on bunker-mode, with tweet storms on racial or other social divide issues and attacks on the free press and the institutions of the rule of law?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

grommit1
Last edited by wahoomurf on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

"Investigate vs Legislate"

Investigate - all depends on the outcome of Mueller's investigation.

Legislate - maybe they come together on infrastructure, which would be good, depending on how its structured.

Nothing gets repealed.

Trump will continue to be Trump,
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Although Pelosi has not said, I suspect this is her last term. She will be the new speaker and begin making an orderly transition to the next speaker. Pelosi is the best strategic thinker and tactician in the House, current and future, either party. Democrats are better with her in this time period than without her.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

foreverlax wrote:"Investigate vs Legislate"

Legislate - maybe they come together on infrastructure, which would be good, depending on how its structured.

Nothing gets repealed.

Infrastructure will be a problem. Where does the money come from? Dems should put together the biggest package they can imagine and then send it to the Senate. Same with healthcare. Let Trump and the Senate fight over it.
Last edited by jhu72 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

jhu72 wrote:
foreverlax wrote:"Investigate vs Legislate"

Nothing gets repealed.

Infrastructure will be a problem. Where does the money come from? Dems should put together the biggest package they can imagine and then send it to the Senate. Same with healthcare. Let Trump and the Senate fight over it.
That would be the right approach and pretty much what happened under Ryan...pass bills only to die on the floor of Senate.

The Rs wanted to do PublicPrivatePartnerships. The Ds will want to issue "infrastructure bonds". Too late to earmark the re-repatriated trillions for some of these projects.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Brooklyn wrote:
jhu72 wrote:Walker is toast. 50K ballots from Milwaukee were reported late when released swamped all hope Walker had.

JHU ~ Interesting! Do you have a source for that, please?
My number is wrong, based on news report I heard last night. This AM I heard the same thing MDlaxfan is reporting.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The 9 million advantage was D over R in the Senate races. A loss of 3 seats. Quite a system.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
ggait

Post by ggait »

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... brag-about

Popular vote for the House was D +9%. 2016 was R +1. So a 10 point swing over two years. Given the good economy numbers, that's a pretty clear message -- we don't like you Mr. Trump.

2010 was R +7. So GOP did worse in 2018 than Dems did in 2010 when Obama said they got shellacked (lost House, kept Senate). Obama had a bad but slowly improving economy. But the swing was HUGE -- 2008 was D +10. So a 17 point swing in two years.

The spread in popular vote on the Senate side was D +12%. But per Jimmy Madison, that's not how you tally the score.

The other possible parallel between 2010 and 2018? We'll see, but Obama did get re-elected two years later...
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.

Return to “POLITICS”