Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by FannOLax »

Love Zinn on the clear.

Have trouble undertstanding all those 1st half offside penalties. I really like the freshman middie line.

Good game. JHU is on back on track, whatever tonight's result.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Maryland definitely the better team. Props to them and especially their second half defense.

Thanks to Hopkins for quite a Cinderella run over the past few weeks. And to ALL of the team and staff for building on the future.

2022 thread is open.

Go Jays.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

congratulations to maryland.
onto 2022.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Congrats to Coach Benson as well.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Disappointing result, but thanks for giving us a season to enjoy.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:07 pm Maryland definitely the better team. Props to them and especially their second half defense.

Thanks to Hopkins for quite a Cinderella run over the past few weeks. And to ALL of the team and staff for building on the future.

2022 thread is open.

Go Jays.
Better indeed. But not much better.

There will be plenty of time to dissect the game, but I'm happy we got through 13 games without anyone dying of Covid.

The last few weeks show there is a future to be excited about. We go on.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I always try to think of some wry aspect, and somewhere out there in Happy Valley, there are a bunch of 2021 B1G Tournament Champion t-shirts and blue caps that have Johns Hopkins names on them...

that have to be destroyed.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the offense choked. just didn't have enough. maryland was not going to let cole and connor beat them and they didn't.
DocBarrister

Thank You, Blue Jays

Post by DocBarrister »

Congratulations to Maryland, and best wishes in the NCAA tournament. Do the B1G proud.

I am proud of our Blue Jays. They never gave up on the season and never gave up on themselves. They played hard to the very end.

Farewell to our graduating seniors and grad students, including Cole Williams. Very much enjoyed the show.

As for the Blue Jays who will be returning, the future sure looks bright. The young talent is great, and I fully anticipate an exciting 2022 season for Johns Hopkins.

Onward and upward!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:21 pm I always try to think of some wry aspect, and somewhere out there in Happy Valley, there are a bunch of 2021 B1G Tournament Champion t-shirts and blue caps that have Johns Hopkins names on them...

that have to be destroyed.
Sometimes they are sent out of the country. I am the proud owner of New England Patriots 19-0 The Perfect Season tee shirt bought on Ebay from an outlet in Central America.
SocHop72

Post by SocHop72 »

A never give up attitude on the field. I believe that trickles down from the coaching staff. Thank you PM, Junior, and J.K. Looking forward to being back in the stands in '22.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:23 pm the offense choked. just didn't have enough. maryland was not going to let cole and connor beat them and they didn't.
In the first half they looked like they were shot out of a cannon, running on pure adrenaline. It's pretty clear to me that in the second half the reality of the situation—playing two intense games in three days—caught up with them and they were just gassed. Meanwhile, Maryland's game against Michigan was a cakewalk so I'm not sure they experienced the same tired leg syndrome, at least not to the same degree. That's why it helps to be the #1 seed and get a bye.

Maryland is a top 5 team and it should be fairly encouraging that, in two separate meetings, there isn't very much separating them from this iteration of the Jays. I don't see a very compelling reason why the Hopkins of the last few weeks can't appear more consistently in 2022. If that happens then you're looking at a top 10 team, give or take.

Even if every senior leaves, which I don't think will be the case, there's a lot to work with: Narewski, Martin, Peshko, Grimes, McDermott, Angelus, Epstein, Degnon, Szuluk, Jaronski, etc. Reinson (please come back) Lyne, Delaney, DeSimone all have eligibility.

Wasn't the best time for Marcille to have a bad night but, he helped get us to this point. He looks the part and should be the favorite to start in goal next year. If Webb, Kirson, or the Amherst transfer make it a competition then all the better.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:37 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:23 pm the offense choked. just didn't have enough. maryland was not going to let cole and connor beat them and they didn't.
In the first half they looked like they were shot out of a cannon, running on pure adrenaline. It's pretty clear to me that in the second half the reality of the situation—playing two intense games in three days—caught up with them and they were just gassed. Meanwhile, Maryland's game against Michigan was a cakewalk so I'm not sure they experienced the same tired leg syndrome, at least not to the same degree. That's why it helps to be the #1 seed and get a bye.

Maryland is a top 5 team and it should be fairly encouraging that, in two separate meetings, there isn't very much separating them from this iteration of the Jays. I don't see a very compelling reason why the Hopkins of the last few weeks can't appear more consistently in 2022. If that happens then you're looking at a top 10 team, give or take.

Even if every senior leaves, which I don't think will be the case, there's a lot to work with: Narewski, Martin, Peshko, Grimes, McDermott, Angelus, Epstein, Degnon, Szuluk, Jaronski, etc. Reinson (please come back) Lyne, Delaney, DeSimone all have eligibility.

Wasn't the best time for Marcille to have a bad night but, he helped get us to this point. He looks the part and should be the favorite to start in goal next year.
-what's frustrating about tonight is that we did 50/50 faceoffs, won gbs, offense put pressure on them and I thought our d more than held its own. Their D beat our O in the second half. Encouraging for them.
-to quiet the haters yes Hopkins lacrosse is the most interesting program in the sport, and no chance the d3 is happening. Because of the history of our program and the depth of our rivalries there is nothing of comparison in the game. tonight was a more memorable game than anything next week and probably the week after and this was a conference tournament game. I listened to some schmuck cuse radio guy the other day call their stadium the citadel of the sport and I wanted to throw up. Cuse lacrosse is the third most important tenant of their stadium that has just some recent history. it has nothing on homewood. relax.
Last edited by jhu06 on Sat May 08, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wasn't the best time for Marcille to have a bad night but, he helped get us to this point. He looks the part and should be the favorite to start in goal next year. If Webb, Kirson, or the Amherst transfer make it a competition then all the better.
Aren’t we also getting Fernandez, the LSM from Syracuse, back next season?

@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:40 pm

Wasn't the best time for Marcille to have a bad night but, he helped get us to this point. He looks the part and should be the favorite to start in goal next year.
what's frustrating about tonight is that we did 50/50 faceoffs, won gbs, offense put pressure on them and I thought our d more than held its own. Their D beat our O in the second half. Encouraging for them.
Is it that encouraging for them? It's only encouraging if you think Hopkins is a good team. If you don't think Hopkins is a good team then Maryland is going to be in a world of trouble against UNC, Duke, ND, etc.

Maryland is clearly better, but, again, the difference between us (the current version—not the February version) and them is not vast. There's two ways to read that.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wonder how Fernandez might’ve impacted the team this year had he been he healthy. He’s a pretty good gb guy.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 pm

Aren’t we also getting Fernandez, the LSM from Syracuse, back next season?

Assuming he is healthy, yes. He was on the sidelines today. Saw a video of him on Instagram rehabbing. Looked pretty good...should be ready to go by next season provided no setbacks.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Hopkins D was amazing tonight. They really made the Terps work hard for their goals.

@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:44 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:40 pm

what's frustrating about tonight is that we did 50/50 faceoffs, won gbs, offense put pressure on them and I thought our d more than held its own. Their D beat our O in the second half. Encouraging for them.
Is it that encouraging for them? It's only encouraging if you think Hopkins is a good team. If you don't think Hopkins is a good team then Maryland is going to be in a world of trouble against UNC, Duke, ND, etc.

Maryland is clearly better, but, again, the difference between us (the current version—not the February version) and them is not vast. There's two ways to read that.
Maryland fan here. I think we def didn’t bring our best games against y’all the last two times and if we play that way in the tournament we will probably lose but also it’s a rivalry and a rivalry where the underdog and team with house $ or however you wanna put it always plays with an edge and causes the favorite trouble

But also, Hopkins is clearly a much, much improved team. I think that’s self evident. Stats back it up, eye test backs it up. I don’t think Maryland playing close with Hopkins necessarily portends bad things; y’all are pretty clearly a Top 20 team at this point, probably not any worse than some of the bubble teams who may get in bc of their whole season performance or maybe even *whispers* Cuse
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

our knowns did not deliver tonight-williams, connor. if this is hopkins at its nadir under milliman, look out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”