Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2023

Post by youthathletics »

molo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:42 am The article in the Sun makes it clear that this was not a mutually agreed upon decision.
Paywall, but reading tons tweets, it certainly seems like it was a one way decision.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

Yep, it was all Gladchuk's. Fired Coach Ken right after the game according to the Washington Post....
John Feinstein in his opinion in Monday's Washington Post said essentially "good luck in finding someone better."

Agreed.
Best wishes to Coach Ken and thanks for the memories.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Woops around the world breath a collective sign of relief. I will forever associate Niumatalolo with that 0-14 run even though he was only around for the last ~9 years of it.
old salt

Post by old salt »

NoLeft wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:30 pm Yep, it was all Gladchuk's. Fired Coach Ken right after the game according to the Washington Post....
Based on Bill Wagner in the Capitol -- it was Gladchuck's decision. KN was already planning his changes for next year.
He asked Gladchuck to reconsider it overnight & offered to resign if he didn't have a winning record next season.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

To walk in and fire a guy right after an overtime loss is, to me, almost indefensible. Not even because of the callous attitude towards the head coach -- you can make an argument that head coaching in the major college sports comes with an ever present risk of dismissal -- but because right after the game the head coach should be focused on interacting with and supporting his players, his seniors, after such an emotional loss. I think you folks all know I try not to run too hot on here but I find the actions of the Athletic Director in doing this immediately postgame, in the locker room, beyond the pale.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

This past weekend coach Richie Meade was inducted into the IMCLA Hall of Fame. Bob Russell, father of former Navy goalie Matt Russell also received the honor posthumously. We want to congratulate coach Meade, Mr. Russell and all of the 2022 inductees.
https://twitter.com/navymlax/status/160 ... DNBQCOedmA
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Press Conference with AD...

~ At the 9:02 mark, AD discusses the TO moving forward and adapting to changes in football schemes.
~ 14:24 How the TO has adpated using some form of it and deviated and adapt to changing dynamics in football
~19:43 Did he talk to players or consider the loss was a razor thin margin. AD responds as he did earlier, Goal's and Standards where not being met. Not to mention all the other inputs that go into being the leader of all coaches. It was not a spontaneous decision.

Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:16 pm

This past weekend coach Richie Meade was inducted into the IMCLA Hall of Fame. Bob Russell, father of former Navy goalie Matt Russell also received the honor posthumously. We want to congratulate coach Meade, Mr. Russell and all of the 2022 inductees.
Thanks for posting that.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

This Is not going to go away quietly. Deja vu, all over again.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -loss-army
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:16 pm

Don’t recognize the guy in between RDML Wade and Goers?
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:15 pm This Is not going to go away quietly. Deja vu, all over again.

https://nesn.com/2022/09/was-herm-edwar ... -loss/amp/
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Richie Meade redux. I don’t care much for Chet. Not that i think anyone cares whetger i do or not
Last edited by OCanada on Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:37 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:15 pm This Is not going to go away quietly. Deja vu, all over again.

Old Herm,
a lot of people still remember him for this,

Miracle at the Meadowlands
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Things on both sides probably could have been done better. They need to both grow up and take it out of the press.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:16 pm To walk in and fire a guy right after an overtime loss is, to me, almost indefensible. Not even because of the callous attitude towards the head coach -- you can make an argument that head coaching in the major college sports comes with an ever present risk of dismissal -- but because right after the game the head coach should be focused on interacting with and supporting his players, his seniors, after such an emotional loss. I think you folks all know I try not to run too hot on here but I find the actions of the Athletic Director in doing this immediately postgame, in the locker room, beyond the pale.
agreed on all. just garbage. and the navy laxpower club wouldn't even be that cutthroat.
Typical Lax Dad

10stone5 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:37 pm

Old Herm,
a lot of people still remember him for this,

Miracle at the Meadowlands
We had him in as a Guest Celebrity Speaker for a NFP for which I am a board. He was fantastic. My kids could play for him anytime.
“I wish you would!”
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:35 pm
The Orfling wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:16 pm To walk in and fire a guy right after an overtime loss is, to me, almost indefensible. Not even because of the callous attitude towards the head coach -- you can make an argument that head coaching in the major college sports comes with an ever present risk of dismissal -- but because right after the game the head coach should be focused on interacting with and supporting his players, his seniors, after such an emotional loss. I think you folks all know I try not to run too hot on here but I find the actions of the Athletic Director in doing this immediately postgame, in the locker room, beyond the pale.
agreed on all. just garbage. and the navy laxpower club wouldn't even be that cutthroat.
Although I enjoy Navy Football, I do not have any valuable insight into the internal operations. With that said, I lived in Boston during the Chet Gladchuk era at Boston College. His legacy at BC is not impressive and rather unsettling.

In 1994, Gladchuk hired former Boston Bruin and NHL commentator Mike Milbury to take over the prestigious BC men's hockey team. However, Milbury quit after a very public confrontation with Gladchuk before the season began. Milbury was livid. This type of conflict did not sit well with the Boston sports media.

In 1997, Jim O'Brien resigned as the men's basketball coach during a rare period where BC basketball was relevant. The press reported that tentative offers to a few recruits were revoked after O'Brien extended offers to them. O'Brien blamed Gladhuk for the rejections.

Gladchuk is credited for hiring Tom Couhglin as head football coach. However, Coughlin left to coach the expansion Jacksonville Jaguars. In 1994, Gladhcuk hired Dan Henning, OC from the Washington Redskins. Henning's tenure was short lived. In 1996, the football program was rocked by a betting scandal in which numerous players bet against the Eagles. I believe Henning was later fired. The football program never returned to the Coughlin-era success.

Taking all this in at the time and reading the articles closely, I came away with the opinion that Gladchuk was confrontational figure not well suited for the environment and expectations at BC. I was later surprised that Navy hired him. Unfortunately, the way Gladhuk dismissed Niumataolo is not surprising in the least. IMO, the pattern is obvious and it is not one of integrity or professionalism
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

This is a business. The NAAA (Naval Academy Athletic Association) no longer operates under the fiscal or ethical or mission of USNA. They are only required by legislation to not “compromise the integrity or appearance of integrity of any program”.

They do not disclose salaries. They do not disclose Title IX stats (because the academies do not participate in Title IV federal student aid programs, that they get full student aid from the DoD budget is the definition of a loop hole). They do not file a public Form 990 in exchange for their tax-exempt status because they state they are governmental affiliates. And of course they do not follow open records laws because State and federal open record laws do not apply to private organizations.

So Ken was able to reap the fiscal benefits of getting paid more then if he were an employee of the USNA but the deal with the devil brought the performance realities with the deal.

Anyone is going to have a hard time trying to tie this to integrity. He was told what the standard is for employment. He failed to reach that standard. Could each of them handled this better? Of course.

But don't forget, this starts (accelerates?) Chet's timer too. (However, Chet is one year removed from the most lop-sided, in Navy's favor, year of Army VS Navy results in all sports in the history of the rivalry. So while football i$ king, that has to count for something).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:55 am This is a business. The NAAA (Naval Academy Athletic Association) no longer operates under the fiscal or ethical or mission of USNA. They are only required by legislation to not “compromise the integrity or appearance of integrity of any program”.

They do not disclose salaries. They do not disclose Title IX stats (because the academies do not participate in Title IV federal student aid programs, that they get full student aid from the DoD budget is the definition of a loop hole). They do not file a public Form 990 in exchange for their tax-exempt status because they state they are governmental affiliates. And of course they do not follow open records laws because State and federal open record laws do not apply to private organizations.

So Ken was able to reap the fiscal benefits of getting paid more then if he were an employee of the USNA but the deal with the devil brought the performance realities with the deal.

Anyone is going to have a hard time trying to tie this to integrity. He was told what the standard is for employment. He failed to reach that standard. Could each of them handled this better? Of course.

But don't forget, this starts (accelerates?) Chet's timer too. (However, Chet is one year removed from the most lop-sided, in Navy's favor, year of Army VS Navy results in all sports in the history of the rivalry. So while football i$ king, that has to count for something).
there's plenty of berth here for people to be questioning gladchuck's integrity. whether kn knew what "the standard" was doesn't alter that. the coach seems to be handling it just fine.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What do you think about AD Hanna at Hobart walking into a celebration of the lacrosse team just punishing Loyola at the Boz and telling the program and parents that they were moving back to d3. That he’d been negotiating with the BOT in private then a week later backtracking after the obvious backlash from the true stakeholders and alum base and subsequently firing Matt Kerwick (who maybe needed to go but not for that reason while protecting his job) and replacing with a guy who took the program to its lowest levels in 100yrs and then quit to be a HS coach in Va?

https://dailycollegian.com/2008/04/ecac ... -1-to-d-3/
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”