Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:41 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:51 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:22 am I'm pretty well-read on education issues.
Resistance to integration in public schools?
In what way?
I don't think this applies to you at all, but I suspect you understand how this logic was used to justify segregation.

I think you may have misunderstood my point.

I understand that you're just talking about parents who send their kids to private school getting a deduction.

But that's all such parents...eg my family, with exception of my wife, all private in my parents' and my generation.

I never saw sending my son to Gilman as benefiting society because I wasn't burdening the public school system...sure, I'd hope/expect that he'll end up a very productive member of society and a benefit that way, but I never expected the public tax payers to give me an extra break because we chose that path for him. I did it because we thought it was optimal for him and we prioritized that investment over other choices. I continue to donate to the school so that they can provide scholarships for poor kids to have that opportunity as well.

Moreover, I'm not so sure it wasn't a cost to the public school in our region for him to not be there, rather than the other way around...I have no doubt that he'd have contributed significantly to any classroom and to any other activity in the life of the school...we'd have been equally as involved as parents in ensuring the quality of the environment, the support for teaching excellence, etc as we were at Gilman...on net, a positive even.

But public school education costs, per student, are a small fraction of the costs that Gilman expends per student. Dramatically different facilities, technology, teacher pay, etc, etc. The tuition itself, which is much larger than the per student cost of public schools, covers only a portion of the overall annual budget...close to half that cost comes through alumni annual donations and endowment draw.

And that's with a school that is able to self-select students that generally conform within a set of expected capabilities that enable more efficient delivery of education. Little remedial education needed, little behavioral issues tolerated. More efficient...but still way more cost expended.

so, if we provide $ incentives to remove from public schools those who are best positioned to conform to private school selection, we increase the density of the most costly student situations...and removed the positive contributions such students make to the classrooms, school life, critical mass, etc.

Just as we made the choice for our own family, as a taxpayer citizen I'm for prioritizing education as a community, as a state, as a country, over all sorts of other potential investments we can make.

IMO, that's our problem, we don't prioritize this investment sufficiently.
I'd beg to clarify on a few points.

Your point re: density of costly students. The ratio of "costly" students changes for the school system, but the number of those students doesn't increase and negatively impact your budget or staffing/facility plans. Those are the same students that were there before. The group of less-costly students then have smaller group sizes to deal with. Arguably a benefit to those kids. Unfortunately, the effects of costly vs uncostly student ratio is only a hypothesis.

You are not lowering the amount you are spending on schools or education by giving a tax break. The quality of EVERY school system is measured in per pupil spend, student/teacher ratio and schools on capacity. ALL of those things are PROVEN to have a positive, measurable benefit on student success. Documented. In this case, you are actually increasing the per-student spending with a tax cut that is less than the per pupil spend. That excess money goes back to the school system and IMPROVES the MEASURABLE population categories I mentioned above.

The issue most certainly is simple supply, demand and budget. That's why student success is again measured in per pupil spend, student/teacher ratio and schools on capacity. Yearly, the biggest concerns of EVERY district in MD and VA has been growing enrollment, over capacity schools, outdated/crumbling facilities, increasing student to teacher ratios, and inefficient use of facilities. Most school districts in the NE region cant keep up with infrastructure, and school improvement/building as it currently sits. That's been exacerbated with the materials shortage. Lessening the number of students that need to be served only helps the public school system. Incentivising people to take the leap to private schools would significantly benefit local school systems and budgets.
hmmm, I see your logic, but the proportion of challenges to the overall student body does matter. It's not as simple as just the straight body count. That's more so the issues around behavior, but often that's driven by frustrations around learning issues, issues that are often not diagnosed or addressed.

Sure, spending more per student is a great proxy for likely success or "quality". But just a proxy.

And if the more spending is because overhead costs are now being applied to fewer students then that's obviously of no real benefit to student learning

But we agree on far more than we disagree.
I had a much longer, response I accidentally deleted. But if I can re-create-

We do agree more than we disagree. Lowering the number of students and maintaining the positive tax growth is simply good practice. And at the heart of every school quality discussion is equity of resources. Per pupil spend.

Per pupil spend isn't limited to just overhead. It's all encompassing,- school improvements, student resources, teacher salaries etc. Those trickle down into student-to-teacher ratio and deeper looks- Is there the same ratio of "highly qualified?" Has each school been updated/renovated/rebuilt within a recent timeframe and give students a place they want to go? Is it a modern, updated facility? Etc. etc. So again, it all comes down to per-pupil spending. MEASURABLE numbers.

As for the UChicago article, it's quality for it's historical perspective, but it's 2-3 generations old at this point and the country has changed significantly demographically. White flight has already occurred and the percentage of white americans dropped significantly (as part of the total population percentage) in the time since written.

Re: private school breaks in the tax code, tax payers (including all the bigots and racists) can not opt out of supporting public schools. Again, ensuring the tax break is less than half the per pupil spend, ensures public schools ARE supported and supported well. Additionally, the 529 has gained popularity and use. That was the first shoe to drop for federal support of private school tax breaks. Saying yearly tax breaks from the IRS will never happen is a hope and not grounded in reality.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Rho Khanna on CNBC this am:

“We need to rebalance exchange rates w Germany* and England”

CNBC - “How does that works while we are raising rates to fight inflation?”

Khanna - “well interest rates are a moment in time they won’t be high in a year. Look I truly believe in FDRs policies”

W…T….F

*later in propping up the state of cali, within the same breath effectively he talks about how Germany is decaying and California is surpassing them. But obviously we have to rebalance exchange rates with Germany. Whatever that means (currency and trade intervention and barriers. So pointless.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Old man alert though I mean this.

F**k these kids. Go do something real other than protesting you superficial idiots.

4 hours ago - Energy & Environment
Climate activists divided on souping art

Ayurella Horn-Muller
Ayurella Horn-Muller

Axios on facebook

Axios on twitter

Axios on linkedin

Axios on email
A protestor holds a can of tomato soup in front of a painting.
Just Stop Oil climate protesters after throwing soup on Vincent Van Gogh's Sunflowers at the National Gallery in London. Photo: Just Stop Oil / Handout/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
From mashed potatoes à la Monet to cake thrown on a wax-imitation of King Charles and tomato soup splashed on a Van Gogh, protesters are targeting famous artworks with food to drum up action on climate change.

Why it matters: The highly publicized protests have spurred conflicting responses across the climate activism community, with some warning that the tactics are counterproductive while others respond with a careful silence.

What they're saying: 18-year-old climate activist Elijah McKenzie-Jackson, campaign coordinator for youth climate strike movement Fridays for Future International, told Axios in an email that history tells us civil protests like these are necessary for change.

"Although I can recognize these acts of justice may seem outrageous to people, I challenge them to feel the outrage of destruction, death, and murder all western governments and corporations are committing to our animals, neighbors in the south and ecosystems," wrote McKenzie-Jackson.
15-year-old Genesis Butler, founder of global organization Youth Climate Save, echoed that sentiment, writing in an email to Axios that "it’s important for us all to make bold moves to raise awareness about the climate crisis."
The other side: Some don't see putting fabled art at the heart of disruptive protests as an effective path to advancing climate action.

Among those who spoke out against the Van Gogh soup stunt was climate scientist Michael Mann, who criticized the move, telling the Associated Press that people will "draw negative associations with climate advocacy."
Researchers and journalists alike have also since argued that these kind of viral activities don't mitigate climate polluting emissions — science and policy do.
Other youth climate organizations, like Defend Our Future, an advocacy nonprofit under the Environmental Defense Fund, are foregoing a stance.

"Defend Our Future is not taking a position on this particular tactic," Kyli Wagner, director of Defend Our Future, told Axios in an email. "However, young people have an understandable frustration when it comes to the climate crisis. We have seen the impacts of climate change worsen throughout our entire lifetimes."
Vanessa Nakate, a leading youth climate activist, told the BBC yesterday that she wishes people would stop discussing what "mode of action is right or not" and instead focus on the climate issues "happening right now."
Zoom out: Environmental protests have a long history of spectacle, according to Christina Limpert, a social scientist at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry who has researched intergenerational climate activism.

"I see some of this as the urgency of the moment," Limpert told Axios. "They're panicking, their eco-anxiety is real, and they're trying to call attention to multiple things. It's just not easy for that message to get out because it's filtered by people who have power."
While performative protests where activists attach themselves to equipment — or in this case, glue themselves to walls below soup-splattered paintings — aren't novel, climate trends incorporating it are new to younger generations, according to Limpert.
"I'm not sure whether these actions are particularly effective because I'm not sure who the audience is," said Limpert. She says that people concerned about fossil fuel extraction are likely already listening, but warned that these types of protests may further alienate those who aren't.
"I think people in power can easily just go 'ugh,' and it kind of re-inscribes this idea of youth as a problem."
Yes, but: Phoebe Plummer, one half of the Just Stop Oil duo that lobbed soup on Van Gogh's Sunflowers, said in a video that what they did was intentionally "ridiculous" so that they could get media attention to "ask the questions that matter."

'What is worth more, art or life?' the activists chanted mid-stunt.
Footage of the protesters throwing soup on the glass-covered painting — which officials have confirmed was not damaged — has racked up 49.6 million views on Twitter alone, while coverage of it has made headlines across the world.
"Climate protests involving art [are] important because it is a bold move that gets attention from people," Youth Climate Save's Butler told Axios.

Go deeper:

Climate activists arrested for throwing soup on Van Gogh painting
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If MaGA gets conflated with conservative this gets mixed in with liberal

Congressional Leaders Commit to Quickly Pass Legislation to Avert Rail Strike

President Biden had urged lawmakers to step in to break deadlock

Katy Stech Ferek
Updated Nov. 29, 2022 5:57 pm ET

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) said that House lawmakers will aim to pass legislation Wednesday that accepts the original labor union agreement negotiated by Biden administration officials plus additional railway worker benefits added from subsequent negotiations. In the Senate, where bipartisan support would be needed, leaders also said they would aim to quickly pass the legislation once it is sent over from the House, even as some lawmakers pushed for changes to the deal.

“I don’t like going against the ability of unions to strike, but weighing the equities, we must avoid a strike,” said Mrs. Pelosi after meeting with President Biden and congressional leaders of both parties at the White House. “Jobs will be lost, even union jobs will be lost, water will not be safe, product will not be going to market,” she said.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

Newsletter Sign-up

WSJ Politics & Policy

Scoops, analysis and insights driving Washington from the WSJ's D.C. bureau.

The move would end a long-running labor dispute between Union Pacific Corp., CSX Corp., and other freight railroads and more than 115,000 workers that threatens to disrupt the flow of goods as soon as next week.

Late Monday, Mr. Biden called on Congress to pass legislation that would avert a shutdown by imposing a proposed contract that members at some of the railroad unions had rejected. On Tuesday, he said he is confident a rail strike can be avoided and encouraged Congress to vote on legislation to force the adoption of a tentative labor agreement.

“It’s not an easy call, but I think we have to do it. The economy is at risk,” he said.

Lawmakers from both parties said they were unhappy about the benefits offered to railroad workers, particularly related to paid sick leave, and said they were hesitant to force them to accept a deal. The five-year agreement, which replaces a contract that lapsed, offers railroad workers a 24% increase in wages from 2020 through 2024. It allows for one additional paid day off, on top of existing vacation and paid time off.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D., Md.) said Democratic leaders were in the process of counting votes. He declined to say if Democrats would need to have Republican support in order to pass the legislation, but said he was hopeful that the bill could pass on a bipartisan basis.

GOP Sen. Marco Rubio said that he won’t vote for a deal that has been rejected by rail workers.Photo: Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images
“There obviously is some controversy as to what’s in and what’s not in,” he said.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) said there were mixed views among Republicans.

“I think some may be inclined to vote against it,” he said. “And others are arguing that the economic price of doing that is too great.”

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) said he and Mr. McConnell agreed to meet to figure out the best way to hold a vote quickly.

The bill would need 60 votes to advance in the 50-50 Senate.

At a media roundtable Tuesday, trade associations representing energy companies, agricultural businesses, retailers and fertilizer producers sounded alarm bells over the possibility of a railroad strike and urged Congress to move quickly toward a bill. Work stoppage or a lockout at the railroads will exacerbate inflationary pressures, they warned.

The freight railroads and unions representing engineers, conductors, machinists and other workers have been in labor negotiations for more than two years. The White House appointed a mediation panel over the summer. Eight unions ratified a proposed contract that came out of those talks, while four didn’t. Both sides have agreed to a cooling-off period until Dec. 9. The sticking points involve work schedules and paid sick time.

“We’ve made it clear we wanted this process to play out, and we even asked Congress not to intervene in this process because by doing that, it takes away any leverage we have with the industry,” said Michael Baldwin, president of the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen. Members of BRS, which includes around 6,000 railroad workers affected by the current round of bargaining, voted to reject the tentative agreement in October.

While retailers are fully stocked for the holiday season, a railroad strike could impact spring merchandise.

The freight railroads and unions representing workers have been in labor negotiations for more than two years.Photo: BING GUAN/REUTERS
Railroads also transport 95% of the ethanol used in gasoline, and a quarter of all U.S. grains. Shutting the railroad down will lead to higher prices at the pump for consumers and businesses, said Mike Sommers, president of the American Petroleum Institute. Also, the chemical industry has warned that a looming strike would force companies to take steps to cancel shipments of hazardous cargo such as chlorine for water purification as soon as this weekend.

Under the Railway Labor Act, Congress can make both sides accept an agreement that their members have voted down. Lawmakers also can order negotiations to continue and delay the strike deadline for a certain period, or they can send the dispute to outside arbitrators.

Congress has intervened at least 18 times in railway labor negotiations since the law’s enactment in 1926, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The last national rail strike, in 1991, lasted about 24 hours before Congress passed and President George H.W. Bush signed legislation ordering the workers back to their jobs.

Some lawmakers said they opposed the legislation because they didn’t want to tell labor union leaders and businesses what to do.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) said Tuesday that he won’t vote for a deal that has been rejected by some rail workers and said that executives and union leaders should return to the negotiating table.

“Just because Congress has the authority to impose a heavy-handed solution does not mean we should,” he said. “It is wrong for the Biden administration, which has failed to fight for workers, to ask Congress to impose a deal the workers themselves have rejected.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) said he would hold up a vote on the deal unless Senate leaders agree to first allow lawmakers to vote on an amendment to include seven days of paid sick leave.

“A strike would be a terrible thing for the country, and certainly I don’t want to see a strike, but I do want to see these workers get the paid sick leave,” he said.

Mr. Biden had urged lawmakers not to seek to modify the agreement, arguing that there is little time to reopen negotiations.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D., Conn.) said he would support the push from Mr. Sanders to expand sick-leave benefits.

“I’m still interested in trying to use our leverage to make it better, but I also think this president probably worked his tail off to get as good a deal as possible for the workers,” he told reporters.

—Andrew Restuccia, Esther Fung, Lindsay Wise and Eliza Collins contributed to this article.

Write to Katy Stech Ferek at [email protected]

Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:30 am If MaGA gets conflated with conservative this gets mixed in with liberal

Katy Stech Ferek

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) said that House lawmakers will aim to pass legislation Wednesday that accepts the original labor union agreement negotiated by Biden administration officials plus additional railway worker benefits added from subsequent negotiations. In the Senate, where bipartisan support would be needed, leaders also said they would aim to quickly pass the legislation once it is sent over from the House, even as some lawmakers pushed for changes to the deal.

“I don’t like going against the ability of unions to strike, but weighing the equities, we must avoid a strike,” said Mrs. Pelosi after meeting with President Biden and congressional leaders of both parties at the White House. “Jobs will be lost, even union jobs will be lost, water will not be safe, product will not be going to market,” she said.
You're telling me corporatist Dems running the party aren't liberal!??

This is why the red scare / socialist scare refrain we every day from Fox and other outlets and parroted by PB and others is so hilarious. Yet the idiots lap it up.

And, get this, the socialist wing of the Democrat party (Bernie) is asking for... checks notes... 7 days paid time off?

You'd think the socialists would want to nationalize something so important to our infrastructure if they were really socialist.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:53 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:30 am If MaGA gets conflated with conservative this gets mixed in with liberal

Katy Stech Ferek

You're telling me corporatist Dems running the party aren't liberal!??

This is why the red scare / socialist scare refrain we every day from Fox and other outlets and parroted by PB and others is so hilarious. Yet the idiots lap it up.

And, get this, the socialist wing of the Democrat party (Bernie) is asking for... checks notes... 7 days paid time off?

You'd think the socialists would want to nationalize something so important to our infrastructure if they were really socialist.
I agree just don’t like how they co-opted the term progressive or how MAGA claims the term Conservative.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Katy Stech Ferek

Newsletter Sign-up

WSJ Politics & Policy

Scoops, analysis and insights driving Washington from the WSJ's D.C. bureau.

The move would end a long-running labor dispute between Union Pacific Corp., CSX Corp., and other freight railroads and more than 115,000 workers that threatens to disrupt the flow of goods as soon as next week.

Late Monday, Mr. Biden called on Congress to pass legislation that would avert a shutdown by imposing a proposed contract that members at some of the railroad unions had rejected. On Tuesday, he said he is confident a rail strike can be avoided and encouraged Congress to vote on legislation to force the adoption of a tentative labor agreement.

“It’s not an easy call, but I think we have to do it. The economy is at risk,” he said.

Lawmakers from both parties said they were unhappy about the benefits offered to railroad workers, particularly related to paid sick leave, and said they were hesitant to force them to accept a deal. The five-year agreement, which replaces a contract that lapsed, offers railroad workers a 24% increase in wages from 2020 through 2024. It allows for one additional paid day off, on top of existing vacation and paid time off.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D., Md.) said Democratic leaders were in the process of counting votes. He declined to say if Democrats would need to have Republican support in order to pass the legislation, but said he was hopeful that the bill could pass on a bipartisan basis.

GOP Sen. Marco Rubio said that he won’t vote for a deal that has been rejected by rail workers.Photo: Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images
“There obviously is some controversy as to what’s in and what’s not in,” he said.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) said there were mixed views among Republicans.

“I think some may be inclined to vote against it,” he said. “And others are arguing that the economic price of doing that is too great.”

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) said he and Mr. McConnell agreed to meet to figure out the best way to hold a vote quickly.

The bill would need 60 votes to advance in the 50-50 Senate.

At a media roundtable Tuesday, trade associations representing energy companies, agricultural businesses, retailers and fertilizer producers sounded alarm bells over the possibility of a railroad strike and urged Congress to move quickly toward a bill. Work stoppage or a lockout at the railroads will exacerbate inflationary pressures, they warned.

The freight railroads and unions representing engineers, conductors, machinists and other workers have been in labor negotiations for more than two years. The White House appointed a mediation panel over the summer. Eight unions ratified a proposed contract that came out of those talks, while four didn’t. Both sides have agreed to a cooling-off period until Dec. 9. The sticking points involve work schedules and paid sick time.

“We’ve made it clear we wanted this process to play out, and we even asked Congress not to intervene in this process because by doing that, it takes away any leverage we have with the industry,” said Michael Baldwin, president of the Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen. Members of BRS, which includes around 6,000 railroad workers affected by the current round of bargaining, voted to reject the tentative agreement in October.

While retailers are fully stocked for the holiday season, a railroad strike could impact spring merchandise.

The freight railroads and unions representing workers have been in labor negotiations for more than two years.Photo: BING GUAN/REUTERS
Railroads also transport 95% of the ethanol used in gasoline, and a quarter of all U.S. grains. Shutting the railroad down will lead to higher prices at the pump for consumers and businesses, said Mike Sommers, president of the American Petroleum Institute. Also, the chemical industry has warned that a looming strike would force companies to take steps to cancel shipments of hazardous cargo such as chlorine for water purification as soon as this weekend.

Under the Railway Labor Act, Congress can make both sides accept an agreement that their members have voted down. Lawmakers also can order negotiations to continue and delay the strike deadline for a certain period, or they can send the dispute to outside arbitrators.

Congress has intervened at least 18 times in railway labor negotiations since the law’s enactment in 1926, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The last national rail strike, in 1991, lasted about 24 hours before Congress passed and President George H.W. Bush signed legislation ordering the workers back to their jobs.

Some lawmakers said they opposed the legislation because they didn’t want to tell labor union leaders and businesses what to do.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) said Tuesday that he won’t vote for a deal that has been rejected by some rail workers and said that executives and union leaders should return to the negotiating table.

“Just because Congress has the authority to impose a heavy-handed solution does not mean we should,” he said. “It is wrong for the Biden administration, which has failed to fight for workers, to ask Congress to impose a deal the workers themselves have rejected.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) said he would hold up a vote on the deal unless Senate leaders agree to first allow lawmakers to vote on an amendment to include seven days of paid sick leave.

“A strike would be a terrible thing for the country, and certainly I don’t want to see a strike, but I do want to see these workers get the paid sick leave,” he said.

Mr. Biden had urged lawmakers not to seek to modify the agreement, arguing that there is little time to reopen negotiations.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D., Conn.) said he would support the push from Mr. Sanders to expand sick-leave benefits.

“I’m still interested in trying to use our leverage to make it better, but I also think this president probably worked his tail off to get as good a deal as possible for the workers,” he told reporters.

—Andrew Restuccia, Esther Fung, Lindsay Wise and Eliza Collins contributed to this article.

Write to Katy Stech Ferek at [email protected]

Fcuk the railroads and Warren Buffet, that fat, old tawt.

If the argument is that the industry is critical and the workers can’t strike, then the railroads can “pay” a prive in the form of what appears to be fairly negligible sick leave benes. Both sides lose something.

Me, I’d nationalize rail and petroleum as both are solely a function of exploitation of the common weal (property). Or, re-examine the Mining Act. And re-think railway right of way rights.

Oh, and I’m not liberal or a progressive, I’m a utilitarian.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Setting aside all the issues in the RNC and “yeah but” stuff one has to admit the DNC is kind of a joke too with respect or representing people and ideas other than win baby win. And they fight yesterday’s battle constantly, really is like a middle aged white upper middle class mom trying to have relevance in the world in the 90s talking up issues superficially.

Whatever one thinks of Warnock, he’s fine, generally a good guy but whatever, he’s a new face to throw up as Presidential material? The political strategists are the bubble (for both sides)

The surprise winner in the new Democratic primary calendar

Josh Kraushaar
If Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.) wins his runoff Tuesday, expect rising buzz he could be a promising Democratic presidential candidate in 2024, if President Biden doesn't run, or beyond.

Why it matters: The radical 2024 primary-calendar overhaul adopted yesterday by the DNC's Rules and Bylaws Committee, plays into Warnock's hands.
The Warnock camp is downplaying talk of national aspirations.

But if he beats Herschel Walker, Warnock will take the Democrats' Senate majority from 50 seats (with Vice President Harris as the tie-breaker) to a solid 51.
Warnock, 53 — senior pastor at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, once the pulpit of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. — is a charismatic speaker who has made inroads with white suburban voters.

Plus he could unite the Democratic coalition and reinvigorate Black voters, whose turnout sagged nationally in 2022.
The calendar — with its front-loading of Georgia and neighboring South Carolina — adds to Warnock's appeal.

Data: DNC
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Biden is running for re-election it appears and if so, no one is going to challenge him.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:04 pm Biden is running for re-election it appears and if so, no one is going to challenge him.
I'm thinking of taking him on. Seacoaster 2024 -- he's only 62!!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Kristen Sinema What to do with Sinema? She has pissed off more than a few democrats, if not by action, by attitude. She however seems to have gotten the message of late. Her speech making and voting for the Respect of Marriage Act and interaction with other members of the team seems to have taken a turn for the better. To me, with the passage of the law, she seemed to be happier and more at ease in her own skin and it showed in her interactions during appearances.
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:21 pm

If the argument is that the industry is critical and the workers can’t strike, then the railroads can “pay” a prive in the form of what appears to be fairly negligible sick leave benes. Both sides lose something.

Me, I’d nationalize rail and petroleum as both are solely a function of exploitation of the common weal (property). Or, re-examine the Mining Act. And re-think railway right of way rights.

These railroads, like so many companies, have cut staffing to the bone to the point where safety is a major problem......and they passed that point a few years ago.

They should NOT have settled this strike.

This tells you, for the 1,000th time, that the Dem party is center right. Don't know how much more clear it can get than this action.

It sucks. They just neutered a freaking Union.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:06 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:04 pm Biden is running for re-election it appears and if so, no one is going to challenge him.
I'm thinking of taking him on. Seacoaster 2024 -- he's only 62!!
... always a malcontent! :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:12 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:21 pm

These railroads, like so many companies, have cut staffing to the bone to the point where safety is a major problem......and they passed that point a few years ago.

They should NOT have settled this strike.

This tells you, for the 1,000th time, that the Dem party is center right. Don't know how much more clear it can get than this action.

It sucks. They just neutered a freaking Union.
... yup, no question Biden is basically center right. I suspect however he will fight for the paid sick time in a separate bill. Calling out the republiCONs (Cruz and Rubio complaining the loudest) who were beating him up saying they (republiCONs) really support the working man.

I'd pay to see this. :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocB - the man of little understanding of practical exeuction and leader in bold predicitions.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-con ... p_download

3. In a pragmatic, Balanced scenario, we assessed material supply and matched it to a broader fuel/energy mix. This assumes accelerated supply chain investment, compared to historic levels, but the constrained global share of BEV would be 38% by 2040, with hydrogen and other fuels filling some of the sustainability gap.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

great progressive idea:

https://wehco.media.clients.ellingtoncm ... n_t800.jpg

Lock him up!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Canada going full on China with their media control and attempting to pull someone’s ability to practice as a physician:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... 1db92/amp/

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnAcBNlo ... MyMTA2M2Y=
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:16 pm Canada going full on China with their media control and attempting to pull someone’s ability to practice as a physician:

You think he's telling the whole story here? Did this Board really tell him in writing that the training was because he criticized the PM?

Let's see the whole story, then I'll believe it. I like a lot of what Peterson says. Helpful stuff for people in need.

But he can get combative for the sake of being combative, and that's when he loses me.....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:16 pm Canada going full on China with their media control and attempting to pull someone’s ability to practice as a physician:

You think he's telling the whole story here? Did this Board really tell him in writing that the training was because he criticized the PM?

Let's see the whole story, then I'll believe it. I like a lot of what Peterson says. Helpful stuff for people in need.

But he can get combative for the sake of being combative, and that's when he loses me.....
I'm from Missouri on this as well.
But of course all sorts of people get over their skis at times, so there could be a modicum of truth...but, sounds more likely to be a big exaggeration by an inveterate flamer. And reported on by similar...
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Apparently (from more accurate reports than a tabloid :lol: , still confirming), telling someone they're free to kill themselves (leave planet earth at any time) on social media as a psychologist isn't very helpful. It's mildly concerning for medical professionals and psychologists should generally be helpful and do no harm. Of course he's now painting himself a victim as standard operating procedure. A victim of having to learn how to behave as a professional.

Politics doesn't seem to enter into it. I'm sure there are plenty more red pills available...

Return to “POLITICS”