media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Jim Malone

Re: media matters

Post by Jim Malone »

I read daily in the wee small hours of dawn, Long Island Newsday, The Wall Street Journal, NY Times, Daily News and The Post.

Then I'll go to BBC app which seems to be best reporting of all on US and international affairs.

Then to Apple News + for WaPo et al.

It easy to tell by articles and op-eds read which dailies are pro and anti Trump; or, even more so pro or anti R or D.

Getting to be very Facebookish and Twitterish.

The "who, what, where, when, why and how" is DOA in modern reporting with few and rare exceptions sometimes read in "investigative" reports.
The parent, not the coach.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Chris Matthews out at MSNBC.

Even they couldn't take him any longer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/chris- ... c-n1147536
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6ftstick wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:56 pm Chris Matthews out at MSNBC.

Just saw his good bye clip. Wow,they just built a multi million dollar studio for him.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Just saw his good bye clip. Wow,they just built a multi million dollar studio for him.
I'm gonna miss him. MSNBC is making a mistake. He was critical of Bernie --the Bros probably let MSNBC know.
His prediction that Bernie can't beat Trump cost him. I hope he surfaces on another network.
Classless sendoff by MSNBC
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:48 pm

I'm gonna miss him. MSNBC is making a mistake. He was critical of Bernie --the Bros probably let MSNBC know.
His prediction that Bernie can't beat Trump cost him. I hope he surfaces on another network.
Agreed, but maybe the older D base is thinning or they want the base to lean more progressive. Certainly seems like a knee jerk reaction on the surface.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

I doubt this was really MSNBC ousting him. I think he just got tired of all the PC BS. Fighting it. He doesn't need the money or the aggravation. The Bernie Bros dust up followed by the Basset nonsense, he had enough.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I think this was a mistake too. And I don't think Mathews was fed up and left on his own.
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:51 am

I think this was a mistake too. And I don't think Mathews was fed up and left on his own.
I really enjoyed his jovial political discussions with the likes of Howard Fineman & Mike Barnacle.
On CNBC & pre-woke MSNBC, they were good natured & somewhat bi-partisan.
I remember when he first popped up on the McLaughlin Group.
I guess we're now just a bunch of T Rex fossils, sittin' around the tar pits.

I wonder if he's trademarked Hardball & can take it with him.
It would be a hoot if FNC hired him & he did Hardball there.
Look how FNC rehabilitated Juan Williams & made him a star.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:55 pm

I really enjoyed his jovial political discussions with the likes of Howard Fineman & Mike Barnacle.

Juan Williams....🤡
“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

He is a pretty energetic 70-something, and I really don't see him sitting out this coming incendiary political season. It's going to be interesting to see what he does and where he goes.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Juan Williams....🤡
I hope Matthews comes back too.

Although I don't agree with him very often, what's wrong with Juan Williams?
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Juan Williams....🤡
I hope Matthews comes back too.

Although I don't agree with him too often, what's wrong with Juan Williams?
Hannity pulled a gun on him and he stayed on to be a punching bag.

🤡
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

The real reason Chris Matthews had to go
Margaret Sullivan, media columnist, Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
Give Chris Matthews partial credit for his apology on his way out the door Monday night. In his abrupt and unexpected farewell, the MSNBC host acknowledged his history of what he called “compliments on a woman’s appearance.”

Such comments were “never okay,” he said, and he was sorry for making them. I appreciated this wasn’t one of those mealy-mouth “sorry if I offended you” apologies — though it still seemed to miss why it’s a problem when a powerful man emphasizes a woman’s sex appeal in a professional setting, the way it diminishes and objectifies.

But this casual sexism wasn’t at the heart of why he had to go. One of the most prominent and well-paid hosts in the cable-news game didn’t listen, didn’t do his homework, and treated politics as a game in which noisy confrontation was a necessity. The problem was less about greenroom boorishness and far more about what you could see and hear on the air — especially in recent weeks, but also going back a long way.
With his reported $5 million annual salary, he wielded enormous influence. For many years, he had the power to sway public opinion on the crucial topics of the day. Not infrequently, he failed the main test of someone in that role. He was ready to offer his own views, but not prepared to hear those of his guests or to bring deep knowledge to the conversation.

Frequently described as “bombastic,” and certainly an excitable yeller, Matthews had a tendency to ask a question, and then, just as his subject was beginning to answer, interrupt, asking it differently or inserting his own opinion.

His interview with Elizabeth Warren last month was a memorable case in point. The topic was whether her rival presidential candidate, Mike Bloomberg, had really suggested to one of his employees that she “kill it,” when he found out she was going to have a baby.

Why was Matthews so determined to defend Bloomberg against Warren?

Matthews insisted on arguing the case as if he were Bloomberg’s defense attorney, portraying the episode strictly as a “he said/she said” situation in which — who knows? — either side could be lying.

He interrogated Warren: You really think Bloomberg is lying? Why would he do such a thing? Warren responded, when she could get a word in, that she believed the woman. She pointed out that pregnancy discrimination in the workplace is a real thing.

Matthews, for all his intensity on the subject, was unprepared and seemingly unfamiliar with the well-circulated reporting that included a named eyewitness who backed up the Bloomberg saleswoman.
old salt

Post by old salt »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:05 pm
The real reason Chris Matthews had to go
Margaret Sullivan, media columnist, Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
Give Chris Matthews partial credit for his apology on his way out the door Monday night. In his abrupt and unexpected farewell, the MSNBC host acknowledged his history of what he called “compliments on a woman’s appearance.”

Such comments were “never okay,” he said, and he was sorry for making them. I appreciated this wasn’t one of those mealy-mouth “sorry if I offended you” apologies — though it still seemed to miss why it’s a problem when a powerful man emphasizes a woman’s sex appeal in a professional setting, the way it diminishes and objectifies.

But this casual sexism wasn’t at the heart of why he had to go. One of the most prominent and well-paid hosts in the cable-news game didn’t listen, didn’t do his homework, and treated politics as a game in which noisy confrontation was a necessity. The problem was less about greenroom boorishness and far more about what you could see and hear on the air — especially in recent weeks, but also going back a long way.
With his reported $5 million annual salary, he wielded enormous influence. For many years, he had the power to sway public opinion on the crucial topics of the day. Not infrequently, he failed the main test of someone in that role. He was ready to offer his own views, but not prepared to hear those of his guests or to bring deep knowledge to the conversation.

Frequently described as “bombastic,” and certainly an excitable yeller, Matthews had a tendency to ask a question, and then, just as his subject was beginning to answer, interrupt, asking it differently or inserting his own opinion.

His interview with Elizabeth Warren last month was a memorable case in point. The topic was whether her rival presidential candidate, Mike Bloomberg, had really suggested to one of his employees that she “kill it,” when he found out she was going to have a baby.

Why was Matthews so determined to defend Bloomberg against Warren?

Matthews insisted on arguing the case as if he were Bloomberg’s defense attorney, portraying the episode strictly as a “he said/she said” situation in which — who knows? — either side could be lying.

He interrogated Warren: You really think Bloomberg is lying? Why would he do such a thing? Warren responded, when she could get a word in, that she believed the woman. She pointed out that pregnancy discrimination in the workplace is a real thing.

Matthews, for all his intensity on the subject, was unprepared and seemingly unfamiliar with the well-circulated reporting that included a named eyewitness who backed up the Bloomberg saleswoman.
I'd much rather watch Katy Tur or Joy Reid browbeat & talk over their guests.
They're such well prepared subject matter experts.
Maybe MSNBC will give one of them the 7pm slot.
Title it The Estrogen Dominance Zone.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I shut him off whenever I saw his face. Take a walk. Practice chipping. Anything.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"Title it The Estrogen Dominance Zone."

Always disappointing. Always predictable. It's not 1954 Mr. Cleaver.
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:37 pm "Title it The Estrogen Dominance Zone."

Cleaver 1954 ? Was he a Nazi sympathizer or a Commie collaborator ?
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:15 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:37 pm "Title it The Estrogen Dominance Zone."

Both?

“I wish you would!”
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Ward. June’s husband. The Beav’s Mother. Maybe...you’re the Beav or Wally.
old salt

Post by old salt »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Ward. June’s husband. The Beav’s Mother. Maybe...you’re the Beav or Wally.
...& you're Eddie Haskell

Return to “POLITICS”