American Educational System

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: American Educational System

Post by Brooklyn »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:26 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 am Simplest solution is: STOP requiring college degrees for jobs. Especially government jobs.

Good start.
So, can you name ONE law maker proposing it?

I mean....F abe lincoln. White trash deploarable , weird home schooled NON educated moron.

Bernie Sanders and Andrew Cuomo have proposed free tuition. But in other areas such as California and Lake Wobegone there has been a movement to increase trade school attendance rather than college: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/ ... adespeople

For example, this past election Angie Craig defeated right wing conservative Jason Lewis and one of her biggest campaign issues was the need for less college and more vocational school or training.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 am Simplest solution is: STOP requiring college degrees for jobs. Especially government jobs.

Good start.

I mean....F abe lincoln. White trash deploarable , weird home schooled NON educated moron.

Bernie Sanders and Andrew Cuomo have proposed free tuition. But in other areas such as California and Lake Wobegone there has been a movement to increase trade school attendance rather than college: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/education/ ... adespeople

For example, this past election Angie Craig defeated right wing conservative Jason Lewis and one of her biggest campaign issues was the need for less college and more vocational school or training.
I am talking about a percentage of a residents income, not free. Why hasn't anyone proposed that? Way easier to pass this type of legislation than the "free" one. And, does free apply to ANY school that accepts Federal dollars? Now, we get into the sticky part of giving illegals FREE college education because why?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Good start.

btw, for those paying attention......F u Cuomo. Proof is in the pudding. Funny, how this doesn't make the News to print paper, isn't it? Where is the ny times article? exactly
https://nycfuture.org/research/excelsior-scholarship

EXCELSIOR SCHOLARSHIP SERVING VERY FEW NEW YORK STUDENTS
The Excelsior Scholarship program promises free tuition at CUNY and SUNY colleges. But only 3 percent of public college students are able to take advantage of Excelsior, and students in New York City are especially neglected.

and

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/red- ... applicants

According to a spokesman for Cuomo, their administration found that roughly 95,000 individuals applied for the Excelsior scholarship last year, with somewhere between 22,000 and 23,000 individuals receiving aid for the program. If these numbers are correct, it would increase the rejection rate for the Excelsior program beyond the Center for an Urban Future’s initial projection of 68 percent to approximately 75 percent, with three out of every four applicants being rejected.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Good start.

btw, for those paying attention......F u Cuomo. Proof is in the pudding. Funny, how this doesn't make the News to print paper, isn't it? Where is the ny times article? exactly
https://nycfuture.org/research/excelsior-scholarship

EXCELSIOR SCHOLARSHIP SERVING VERY FEW NEW YORK STUDENTS
The Excelsior Scholarship program promises free tuition at CUNY and SUNY colleges. But only 3 percent of public college students are able to take advantage of Excelsior, and students in New York City are especially neglected.

and

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/red- ... applicants

According to a spokesman for Cuomo, their administration found that roughly 95,000 individuals applied for the Excelsior scholarship last year, with somewhere between 22,000 and 23,000 individuals receiving aid for the program. If these numbers are correct, it would increase the rejection rate for the Excelsior program beyond the Center for an Urban Future’s initial projection of 68 percent to approximately 75 percent, with three out of every four applicants being rejected.
Well, a student can always choose from this list
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:19 am The best thing a family can do is NOT save fore college, that savings will cripple you come admissions time. Parents need offshore bank acounts to shelter this money...or store it another familes account ;)
That is great advice. Lie.
It's not lying if they don't ask. Do the forms have questions about offshore bank accounts, other than "other assests"? Seems vague enough to not go in the lying terrotory.

You can create a fictional relative. Or, non profit. The latter is the much easier root, what with those nasty unPATRIOT act rules for opening bank accounts. Why is it a colleges business to know someones financial situation. Said it before, the interest on only a small percentage of many college endowments will allow EVERYONE to attend for free. What is stopping Harvard/Hopkins from doing this? Nothing.

State college tuition AND room and board.....should be based on that states median income. Maryland, roughly $80k. Yet, you are asking parents to pay 15% of their income on just tuition and "books" if living at home/commuting. 32 % if their child is living on campus. Pretends don't see a problem with this. Instate tuition for ZooMass is about 30% of the "her way" states $100k median income. Doable, but tough to commute to Amherst from Lincoln-Sudbury. (LS kids to play for UMass anyhow )

The pretends sabre rattle about paying for college, but both states are controlled by pretend liberals. VERY expensive to go to the states "flagship" campuses. Guess the Terps basketball lockerroom needs new life sized pictures next to the players lockers, lest the forget their names or what they look like. Or, an indoor practice facility, even though the pretends "believe" their world is getting warmer. (aircondited facilities, you dumb dum )
Families are in this situation becuase the american people have been fleeced Esculating higher education costs that do not align with COL, to be so expensive that it must be financed for more decades then ever before.....interest pays quite a many bankers saleries. The dirty little secret of the industry, finance everything...I need to pay my BMW and Mercedes service fees ..and those ain't cheep and who is gonna pay for my kids to go to prep school so they do not have associate with those kids on ADD and ADHD meds. Just drove thru Tysons Corner/McLean today. Cap. One is now building their 3rd high rise in less than 15 years......interest paying for all that.....you betcha. Got us all jonesin' for credit. with 11+% ineterest charges.

regarding what they ask you....You link your tax returns to the FAFSA database and it sucks in all the pertinant data from your previous years returns.

Regarding the Terps...spent time in the 7.2 + Milllion dollar new mansion on the hill for Mr. Loh, have to make sure he could hob nob with those Big Ten execs, while leaving the ACC was in the works.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

CCNY (the USA's # 1 college of all time) was tuition free for over 100 years. That's the way it should always be.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm CCNY (the USA's # 1 college of all time) was tuition free for over 100 years. That's the way it should always be.
Phenomenal school. Some of the best minds in NYC were City College guys.
“I wish you would!”
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

question- without any judgment as to whether .gov should pay for college or not,

let's say we go this way. won't that likely result in many, many more college grads, competing now for less jobs, and then the ones lucky enough to get jobs will be unsatisfied/unfulfilled as they are now, exacerbating the problem?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 pm question- without any judgment as to whether .gov should pay for college or not,

let's say we go this way. won't that likely result in many, many more college grads, competing now for less jobs, and then the ones lucky enough to get jobs will be unsatisfied/unfulfilled as they are now, exacerbating the problem?
Devil's advocate - we're already doing this to a huge extent with .gov student loans - a huge problem on top of what you listed is that a lot of kids are now in loans they can't default on and are owing money to the Fed as nearly indentured servants. We need to get out of the loan business, although we may take in money on the loan business side, it seems to lose money on the overall economy side.

Here's my solution:

Personally I think free 2 year community colleges are the way to go with an emphasis on trades and STEM. If kids want to then finish out another two years at a State or Private University for a Bachelor on their own or private (defaultable) loan dime, then more power to them. Universities are still eligible for federal research grants and GI bill funds.

Students would get free no-interest loans for a certain number of credits to a local community college to be completed within 2.5 or so years. If they don't earn the specific degree or certification within that time, they owe that tuition back - it's an incentive to graduate. There would be a maximum amount loanable per year at current median of community college costs then tied to inflation so you don't get ballooning tuition costs like we have now. That means a lifetime loan currently at about $9600, nowhere near what kids are currently getting in debt for four year colleges on the .gov loan system.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems better than what we have now.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm CCNY (the USA's # 1 college of all time) was tuition free for over 100 years. That's the way it should always be.
Phenomenal school. Some of the best minds in NYC were City College guys.

:D :D :D

ChairmanOfTheBoard

holmes435 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:27 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 pm question- without any judgment as to whether .gov should pay for college or not,

Devil's advocate - we're already doing this to a huge extent with .gov student loans - a huge problem on top of what you listed is that a lot of kids are now in loans they can't default on and are owing money to the Fed as nearly indentured servants. We need to get out of the loan business, although we may take in money on the loan business side, it seems to lose money on the overall economy side.

Here's my solution:

Personally I think free 2 year community colleges are the way to go with an emphasis on trades and STEM. If kids want to then finish out another two years at a State or Private University for a Bachelor on their own or private (defaultable) loan dime, then more power to them. Universities are still eligible for federal research grants and GI bill funds.

Students would get free no-interest loans for a certain number of credits to a local community college to be completed within 2.5 or so years. If they don't earn the specific degree or certification within that time, they owe that tuition back - it's an incentive to graduate. There would be a maximum amount loanable per year at current median of community college costs then tied to inflation so you don't get ballooning tuition costs like we have now. That means a lifetime loan currently at about $9600, nowhere near what kids are currently getting in debt for four year colleges on the .gov loan system.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems better than what we have now.
i think that's right.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Another option is to have students with dual enrollment (hs + college). Some states allow good students to get an AA while still graduating from high school. Almost always it is cheaper for the high school to pay tuition for some courses at a local community or even four year school than to actually teach the courses themselves.

The biggest difference in college cost then (say 60s/70s) and now is compounded by the reduction of state support for state schools and the subsequent placement of more of the cost sharing on the student. This raises prices for the state schools, which has allowed the private colleges to even further move their prices up. Also the greater reliance on student loans (I don't think that was even an option for me in the late 70s) allows for less downward price pressure (sort of the same way you can get a "discount" on a car if you finance through the dealer and the dealer either earns back even more via a high interest rate or through a kickback fee from the lender if passed off).
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Maryland is starting free CC for local hs grads next year. I believe there is a gpa requirement.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 pm Maryland is starting free CC for local hs grads next year. I believe there is a gpa requirement.

That can be a problem due to Americans With Disability Act. Learning disabled students (like myself) typically score very poorly on SAT & LSAT but many did very well in the class room. This happened to me as I was told not to even bother going to a 4 year college or law school but was on the honor roll many times. I've known others who did very well on pre school standardized testing only to do poorly in class. You just never know.

Best thing to do is to eliminate tuition just like we had for over 100 years. You know the old story ~ if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep the successful system working and don't change it.

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:26 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 pm Maryland is starting free CC for local hs grads next year. I believe there is a gpa requirement.

That can be a problem due to Americans With Disability Act. Learning disabled students (like myself) typically score very poorly on SAT & LSAT but many did very well in the class room. This happened to me as I was told not to even bother going to a 4 year college or law school but was on the honor roll many times. I've known others who did very well on pre school standardized testing only to do poorly in class. You just never know.

Best thing to do is to eliminate tuition just like we had for over 100 years. You know the old story ~ if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep the successful system working and don't change it.
GPA requirement. Not SAT requirement.

I think the goal here is to bolster that middle class.

Really it’s $5,000 scholarships to students from:
families earning less than $125,000 a year. Single adults earning less than $90,000 also would be eligible for the money.

To qualify, prospective students must enroll in a Maryland community college within two years of finishing high school or obtaining a GED. Students would have to take 12 credit hours and have a high school GPA of at least 2.3.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcwas ... ml%3famp=y
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 am

GPA requirement. Not SAT requirement.

I addressed that by saying, "I've known others who did very well on pre school standardized testing only to do poorly in class." Neither criteria are 100% accurate measures of a student's potential job or academic skills.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

sad but true:

ChairmanOfTheBoard

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissio ... ions-fraud

At least one of the couple's daughters, a YouTube personality named Olivia Jade Giannulli, may not have wanted to go to USC for the intellectual experience. As People reported last year, she faced widespread criticism for a video in which she described this approach to her first year in college: “I don’t know how much of school I’m gonna attend but I’m gonna go in and talk to my deans and everyone, and hope that I can try and balance it all. But I do want the experience of, like, game days, partying … I don’t really care about school, as you guys all know.”
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

This scandal will not affect her. She will star in the movie and her dad, Macy, will be a sleazy version of William Singer. An Oscar performance.

But in the meantime we will be subjected to social media krap about how bullied she is, how she is a victim, or perhaps she will go the route of Michael Jackson's daughter who so succinctly put it, "Calm your tiiittttaaaeeessss."

Return to “POLITICS”