THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hoponboard

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Hoponboard »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote:Beer selection was Miller Lite, Yuengling and Natty Boh.

Mission BBQ, great brisket and awesome salmon.

And holy cow, Orry Michael, 2011, had 400 oysters from Connecticut brought in, and damn, those were the biggest, meatiest oysters I’ve ever seen. Hat tip to Orry and many tips to the master shucker who plowed through all of them over a couple of hours.

I hope none of those oysters were harvested downstream of the previous Moderator, but hey, they were great, and he’s mostly disappeared and no longer in Puritanical dictatorial power, so that little tidbit is now very much a distant afterthought.

Passed word tonight to several people about the rebirth here at lummys.

And, I have zero idea why it’s called lummys.

Oh, I have no bleeping clue as to the score. Doesn’t matter. Epstein did have 3 goals.

Finally met hoponboard! Mission accomplished. He’s headed to Albany next week, with a direct Southwest flight to Albany. So, Albany is much easier to get to than that god forsaken gray, wintry depressing hellhole of Syracuse.

Great announcing by some famous dude in the press box.

Dixie was a riot.

Onward to Albany and 2019!
W
Finally met Wombat. My life is complete salut.

Below are the scrimmage highlights. It was fun to hear Dixie call the proceedings. He even called out Wombat and Cornell Willis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06Z5WZ ... e=youtu.be

Freshmen were impressive. Taite Cattoni scored the first goal and Evan Zinn the second---both unassisted. As Wombat mentioned, Epstein had a hat trick---which seemed effortless. Alex Gainey made the stop of the night on a Benson BTB. Alexander Mabbett was so smooth in his passing---looked like a vet. Matt Narewski was super impressive at the X.

As for the vets, Marr and Williams looked in mid-season form. Smith had an outstanding scrimmage. So did Fox. As 16 predicted, Keogh had a breakout performance, including a sharp assist to DeSimone. Prouty started and was excellent with a nice assist to Marr.

Darby started in goal and played the first half. Alumni rarely put a shot on goal. Think he had one save. Giacalone played a quiet third and Gainey had the save of the scrimmage in the 4th.

On to Albany.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Games are going to be on grass fields next to the football stadium because of a game later. Could be a slick, and slow track for the games.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote:Beer selection was Miller Lite, Yuengling and Natty Boh.

Mission BBQ, great brisket and awesome salmon.

And holy cow, Orry Michael, 2011, had 400 oysters from Connecticut brought in, and damn, those were the biggest, meatiest oysters I’ve ever seen. Hat tip to Orry and many tips to the master shucker who plowed through all of them over a couple of hours.

I hope none of those oysters were harvested downstream of the previous Moderator, but hey, they were great, and he’s mostly disappeared and no longer in Puritanical dictatorial power, so that little tidbit is now very much a distant afterthought.

Passed word tonight to several people about the rebirth here at lummys.

And, I have zero idea why it’s called lummys.

Oh, I have no bleeping clue as to the score. Doesn’t matter. Epstein did have 3 goals.

Finally met hoponboard! Mission accomplished. He’s headed to Albany next week, with a direct Southwest flight to Albany. So, Albany is much easier to get to than that god forsaken gray, wintry depressing hellhole of Syracuse.

Great announcing by some famous dude in the press box.

Dixie was a riot.

Onward to Albany and 2019!
W
Finally met Wombat. My life is complete salut.

Below are the scrimmage highlights. It was fun to hear Dixie call the proceedings. He even called out Wombat and Cornell Willis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c06Z5WZ ... e=youtu.be

Freshmen were impressive. Taite Cattoni scored the first goal and Evan Zinn the second---both unassisted. As Wombat mentioned, Epstein had a hat trick---which seemed effortless. Alex Gainey made the stop of the night on a Benson BTB. Alexander Mabbett was so smooth in his passing---looked like a vet. Matt Narewski was super impressive at the X.

As for the vets, Marr and Williams looked in mid-season form. Smith had an outstanding scrimmage. So did Fox. As 16 predicted, Keogh had a breakout performance, including a sharp assist to DeSimone. Prouty started and was excellent with a nice assist to Marr.

Darby started in goal and played the first half. Alumni rarely put a shot on goal. Think he had one save. Giacalone played a quiet third and Gainey had the save of the scrimmage in the 4th.

On to Albany.
Thanks as always HOB.

The alumni looked like they had one too many slices of pizza and adult beverages.

Keogh seems like a different player. Mabbett is enormous. Agree that Narewski the Younger looked good, as did Prouty facing off against his mentor. That's obviously going to be a hugely important position for this team. For those who like to read into such things, it sure seemed like Forry started on attack.

Wombat—how many oysters did Petro eat?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote:
DocBarrister wrote:A few comments on the posts above:

(1) Switching jerseys is not only silly, it sends the wrong message. In fact, what the Blue Jays should do is practice with their correct jerseys, run their most “secret” plays and sets, video the entire thing, and send a copy to each head coach in Division I lacrosse with a cover letter that says: “This is what we’re going to do, and you won’t be able to stop us. Love and kisses, Dave.”

(2) If Joey Epstein is truly your attackman of the future, let him start at attack on day 1 and don’t waste time putzing around.

(3) Wombat is lying, just like Brett Kavanaugh ... he certainly does know what “xxxx” means. :roll: ;)

That is all.

DocBarrister 8-)
Alright old butthead, comment #3 is not only unwarranted, but it belongs on a different part of the forum and NOT in THE Johns Hopkins Fallout Shelter.

I recently had a lot of message traffic with a Hoo fan about putting politics into threads where most sane people do NOT want to see it, so I feel obligated to say the same to you: doesn’t matter if you meant it as a joke, keep politics OUT of this thread and put it in the area that Matt’s set up for it.

This new message board is going to survive on self-policing one’s own posts. Please do what you can to make this thread non-political.

Let’s get off to a good start.

W
Hey, old friend. That sure does sound like someone trying to control what and how other members post around here. I thought the censorship era of LaxPower was over, but now I see you only objected to not being among those doin’ the censorin’.

Very Trumpian, in my opinion.

Fight the Powers That Be. headbang

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:Kyle Marr, Danny Jones, Forry Smith named 2019 captains

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2018/10/ ... ?path=mlax
Congratulations. Happy for Danny Jones. Hard work and perseverance has paid off. Good trio of captains. Good luck.
Great leadership for the coming season. salut

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

From Ty Xanders, Jays picked up their first stopper in the 2020 class.
“Mike DiMarsico '20, G, Shady Side Academy (Pa.) / @LowandAwayLax has committed to Johns Hopkins. Quick-handed and athletic stopper out of Pittsburgh.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Why doesn't Mabbett get more attention? I'm not saying that he gets no attention. For heaven's sake, he was recruited by JHU. Obviously he's on the radar. But he doesn't get Chase Scanlan-, Owen Caputo-, he doesn't even get Evan Zinn-attention. Why is this?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

admin wrote:Why doesn't Mabbett get more attention? I'm not saying that he gets no attention. For heaven's sake, he was recruited by JHU. Obviously he's on the radar. But he doesn't get Chase Scanlan-, Owen Caputo-, he doesn't even get Evan Zinn-attention. Why is this?
One guess is part of it is production. There were 3 players on Victor with more points than him. They were probably all attackmen.

IL also lists him as being a member of the Harvest lacrosse Club. I've never heard of them, and even though I'm not in that world, I've heard of a lot of clubs.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mabbett used to play for SweetLax. He was a well known commodity on the recruiting circuit. Pretty sure he was deciding between UNC and Hopkins. I feel like he's gotten adequate attention since committing, but also upstate NY players do tend to come into college a little underrated if you ask me. A lot more articles are written about the Long Island and Maryland guys for obvious reasons. Victor is way way the hell out there. The same thing happened to Ierlan. He wasn't a total unknown and was fairly highly ranked but in retrospect it certainly seems like he should have gotten a bigger showcase. Hopefully Mabbett ends up being the same. And of course when you have a top 10 middie in the same class then naturally you might come in a little bit under the radar. I've always liked Mabbett's game—you can't teach that size and he's got great vision from up top. A lot of the time those big north-south dodging middies aren't looking to pass much but Mabbett can dish the rock.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

HopFan16 wrote:Mabbett used to play for SweetLax. He was a well known commodity on the recruiting circuit. Pretty sure he was deciding between UNC and Hopkins. I feel like he's gotten adequate attention since committing, but also upstate NY players do tend to come into college a little underrated if you ask me. A lot more articles are written about the Long Island and Maryland guys for obvious reasons. Victor is way way the hell out there. The same thing happened to Ierlan. He wasn't a total unknown and was fairly highly ranked but in retrospect it certainly seems like he should have gotten a bigger showcase. Hopefully Mabbett ends up being the same. And of course when you have a top 10 middie in the same class then naturally you might come in a little bit under the radar. I've always liked Mabbett's game—you can't teach that size and he's got great vision from up top. A lot of the time those big north-south dodging middies aren't looking to pass much but Mabbett can dish the rock.
Mabbett was second on Victor with 35 goals. He missed his sophomore year which pushed him below the radar after committing to Hopkins as a freshman. He can dodge, shoot and pass equally well.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The other thing I learned Saturday is that MLK has finally been milled and repaved and is super smooth from Route 40 up to Howard Street.

So, I no longer need my SUV to get up to Homewood.

A Bradley AFV is still recommended though.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

some kid from Moses Brown in RI, some kid from oregon, some kid from BL who was simply a late bloomer... i get all of these. then they end up being 1st team AAs... i get it. but a kid who commits to JHU as a freshman? That I don't get. within this thread, his name comes up. but outside of this thread, not so much. and even when his name is at the top of an IL list or whatever, he's not recognizable. i don't get it.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Matnum PI wrote:some kid from Moses Brown in RI, some kid from oregon, some kid from BL who was simply a late bloomer... i get all of these. then they end up being 1st team AAs... i get it. but a kid who commits to JHU as a freshman? That I don't get. within this thread, his name comes up. but outside of this thread, not so much. and even when his name is at the top of an IL list or whatever, he's not recognizable. i don't get it.
Are you saying he should be getting more attention because he committed to Hopkins as a high school freshman? Or that Hopkins shouldn't have signed a relatively unknown (at the time) freshman?

Either way, Mabbett probably would have even had less attention, and been left off the rankings completely, had he not participated in IL's Committed Academy events. I think that raised his profile somewhat as a junior and senior. It certainly contributed to him being in the IL rankings. You don't have to be a genius to see that their rankings as of late have appeared to favor players who play in IL sponsored tournaments and events. Meanwhile there's at least two guys in this 2018 Jays class who Xanders had ranked in his top 100 as high school juniors, before he went back to IL, but then mysteriously disappeared from the combined IL-Xanders rankings as seniors. Neither played in any IL events that I know of. Haven't gone back and looked to see if the story is the same for other schools' classes but I imagine Hop is not the only one. The whole thing is becoming an even bigger joke than it already was.

Excited for the reports/videos from Albany this weekend. The Danes won't be at full strength, as Nanticoke is not playing this fall. The bright side is, he won't be making any ridiculous highlight reel goals at our expense again this year.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HopFan16 wrote:Are you saying he should be getting more attention because he committed to Hopkins as a high school freshman? Or that Hopkins shouldn't have signed a relatively unknown (at the time) freshman?
That he should be getting more attention because he's legit. And not off-the-radar legit. Just legit. yet he's hiding in plain sight. and... the rest of your post answers my question pretty darn well.
HopFan16 wrote:You don't have to be a genius to see that their rankings as of late have appeared to favor players who play in IL sponsored tournaments and events. Meanwhile there's at least two guys in this 2018 Jays class who Xanders had ranked in his top 100 as high school juniors, before he went back to IL, but then mysteriously disappeared from the combined IL-Xanders rankings as seniors. Neither played in any IL events that I know of. Haven't gone back and looked to see if the story is the same for other schools' classes but I imagine Hop is not the only one. The whole thing is becoming an even bigger joke than it already was.
You don't have to be genius to see it after you say it but I wouldn't of thought it unless you said it. That's good stuff.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Anyone coming up to Albany you are probably going to want to park in the Dutch Quad parking area and the normal cost is $10.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thanks for coming here to post.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DaneFan wrote:Anyone coming up to Albany you are probably going to want to park in the Dutch Quad parking area and the normal cost is $10.
Enjoy the game!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dane, a post-game report would be greatly appreciated. any words of observation. if you can...
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

admin wrote:Dane, a post-game report would be greatly appreciated. any words of observation. if you can...
I'll definitely take some notes and seems as if there will be a good Hopkins crowd at the games as well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Scott Marr suggests the Hopkins-Albany regular season series could be back on after Kyle graduates next year:
“We’ve been in Baltimore for the last three years for this at Hopkins. My son Kyle plays for Hopkins, and last year at the end of the event Coach Pietramala asked me if I’d like to have it at home so Kyle could play at home once. I thought that was pretty generous of him. We talked to Cheryl Colleluori who is the head of the (HEADstrong) foundation and she was all for it. Everything has worked out pretty smoothly. For JP who will be Hero for the Day, I know that being around our team, and the game, and having fun in the locker room does help him, so hopefully it’s a great day for him”

About coaching against his son Kyle:

“It’s different, because it’s a scrimmage, than if it were a real game in the spring time. It’s kind of why we stopped playing (Hopkins) for these four years. Hopefully, we can pick up the series again after this year. We try to have fun with it. I’ll joke with him, and when he’s on the field walking by I’ll talk with him. It’s kind of nice for him to be able to come back to Albany where he started his lacrosse career playing for me in the club stuff on those fields.”
http://capitaldistrictlax.com/2018/10/1 ... cott-marr/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”