Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:41 am
a fan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 am
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:06 am This guy was clearly seeking a better life: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/who-is ... uga-campus

Sadly, at the expense of another: https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/24/us/uga-a ... index.html

Funny how CNN does not even mention anything about his status. :roll:

So much so, our fuggin government can not even confirm has status. Just gross.
All he wanted was a work permit.
:lol: So by all means, Old Salt, keep rooting for the status quo.

It's workin' great, so why change anything?
Trump is a Democrat….just like Clinton. 30 years later, notta damn thing has changed.
That's right. It's why I get annoyed when folks try and lay this mess at Joe Biden's feet. He's just the guy standing next to the can that was kicked down the road by the last half-dozen Presidents.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:18 amNot true.....when I do post those often never reported upon senseless acts of crime, You knuckleheads' find some other avenue to minimize them or assume I am racially motivated or the slur de jour.
Right. Well then, YOU need to do a MUCH better job in your messaging. Your posts on "senseless acts of crime" need to be devoid of the partisan zingers you include in them, like "This guy was clearly seeking a better life". You get that this is simple, unadulterated partisan blaming, right? You'd rather we didn't get it, is that it?

I'd be happy to wager that most of your innocent posts include, or are placed in such a way, to get your partisan victimhood and racial dog whistling in place.

Who do you think you're talking to here YA? Trump's version of the Jedi Mind Tricks that work on the MAGAt base don't work around here so much...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:18 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:21 am
dislaxxic wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:03 am Sadly this sort of thing happens. Cherry picking one story, out of hundreds of thousands of individual entries into the country, does nothing but stoke irrational fear and is a serious disservice to the hundreds of thousands of legitimate migrants seeking better life.

Trying to "taint" the idea of immigration in this manner...or to somehow tangentially blame this murder on Joe Biden, Democrats or liberals in general...is just dishonest and one more example of attempting to have your own set of facts.

Cherry picking to fill out the form for one's political needs of the day is, effectively, what the internet and "social" media has become. We don't highlight the drunk abusive husbands who murder their wives and girlfriends, because there's no real payoff from a random assh@t killing someone. We need "illegals" to fill the venom slot. And the interweb complies.
Not true.....when I do post those often never reported upon senseless acts of crime, You knuckleheads' find some other avenue to minimize them or assume I am racially motivated or the slur de jour.
Wasn't talking about you. I was talking about how our media enables us to cherry pick what we want to fill the needs of the "political dialogue," so-called. Weird, you seem a little tender this morning. Maybe take a walk.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:00 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:03 am Sadly this sort of thing happens. Cherry picking one story, out of hundreds of thousands of individual entries into the country, does nothing but stoke irrational fear and is a serious disservice to the hundreds of thousands of legitimate migrants seeking better life.

Trying to "taint" the idea of immigration in this manner...or to somehow tangentially blame this murder on Joe Biden, Democrats or liberals in general...is just dishonest and one more example of attempting to have your own set of facts.

Cherry picking to fill out the form for one's political needs of the day is, effectively, what the internet and "social" media has become. We don't highlight the drunk abusive husbands who murder their wives and girlfriends, because there's no real payoff from a random assh@t killing someone. We need "illegals" to fill the venom slot. And the interweb complies.
Not true.....when I do post those often never reported upon senseless acts of crime, You knuckleheads' find some other avenue to minimize them or assume I am racially motivated or the slur de jour.
Wasn't talking about you. I was talking about how our media enables us to cherry pick what we want to fill the needs of the "political dialogue," so-called. Weird, you seem a little tender this morning. Maybe take a walk.
Tender is right....having surgery Thursday afternoon. Been rather painful the past couple months.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:00 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:18 amNot true.....when I do post those often never reported upon senseless acts of crime, You knuckleheads' find some other avenue to minimize them or assume I am racially motivated or the slur de jour.
Right. Well then, YOU need to do a MUCH better job in your messaging. Your posts on "senseless acts of crime" need to be devoid of the partisan zingers you include in them, like "This guy was clearly seeking a better life". You get that this is simple, unadulterated partisan blaming, right? You'd rather we didn't get it, is that it?

I'd be happy to wager that most of your innocent posts include, or are placed in such a way, to get your partisan victimhood and racial dog whistling in place.

Who do you think you're talking to here YA? Trump's version of the Jedi Mind Tricks that work on the MAGAt base don't work around here so much...

You'd lose that bet.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:59 pm

Tender is right....having surgery Thursday afternoon. Been rather painful the past couple months.
Hope all goes well.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:00 pmYou'd lose that bet.
You got the point though, right?

"This guy was clearly seeking a better life"... not all innocence and concern...

At any rate, best - for your surgery...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:12 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:38 am It's not a big surprise seacoaster. And Natty's response also shows it is coming from from the south. The thread is not called Illegal Immigration, and is not exclusive to only one line item. Our border is a sieve....and it does not matter who is bringing it over the line. Not to mention I never mentioned "illegal" crosser in my initial comment. Crazy you guys make assumptions.

This is a valuable resource: https://www.dea.gov/what-we-do/news/press-releases
How else are they gonna get foreign fentanyl into the US than crossing a border? This thread is about mostly illegal immigration (and occasionally legal) immigration, not legal US border crossers bringing in illegal goods during through our trade ports of entry.

If you want to discuss how Border Patrol, DEA and others coordinate to stop organized drug smuggling through our ports of entry, that's a different animal and generally unrelated to the immigration system. Use a different thread. :roll:
Why use ports of entry to smuggle in poison. One desperate asylum seeker with a backpack can smuggle in enough fentanyl to kill thousands of young American yutes.
https://www.wtkr.com/news/in-the-commun ... tanyl-data
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:11 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:12 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:38 am It's not a big surprise seacoaster. And Natty's response also shows it is coming from from the south. The thread is not called Illegal Immigration, and is not exclusive to only one line item. Our border is a sieve....and it does not matter who is bringing it over the line. Not to mention I never mentioned "illegal" crosser in my initial comment. Crazy you guys make assumptions.

This is a valuable resource: https://www.dea.gov/what-we-do/news/press-releases
How else are they gonna get foreign fentanyl into the US than crossing a border? This thread is about mostly illegal immigration (and occasionally legal) immigration, not legal US border crossers bringing in illegal goods during through our trade ports of entry.

If you want to discuss how Border Patrol, DEA and others coordinate to stop organized drug smuggling through our ports of entry, that's a different animal and generally unrelated to the immigration system. Use a different thread. :roll:
Why use ports of entry to smuggle in poison. One desperate asylum seeker with a backpack can smuggle in enough fentanyl to kill thousands of young American yutes.
https://www.wtkr.com/news/in-the-commun ... tanyl-data
A pill can’t kill anyone. It’s the person taking the pill that’s the problem. Pills don’t kill, people do.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:41 am
a fan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:35 am
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:06 am This guy was clearly seeking a better life: https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/who-is ... uga-campus

Sadly, at the expense of another: https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/24/us/uga-a ... index.html

Funny how CNN does not even mention anything about his status. :roll:

So much so, our fuggin government can not even confirm has status. Just gross.
All he wanted was a work permit.
:lol: So by all means, Old Salt, keep rooting for the status quo.

It's workin' great, so why change anything?
Trump is a Democrat….just like Clinton. 30 years later, notta damn thing has changed.

Pay attention to the specific things that Clinton said his admin was doing to address the problem.

What is Biden's DHS & DoJ doing in each of those specific areas ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/02/ ... erm=second

Outrage over the Killing of Laken Riley Is Completely Justified

by CHARLES C. W. COOKE, February 26, 2024 10:11 AM

When an illegal immigrant is charged with murdering an innocent American student, Americans have every right to be furious about it.

While following the political debate that has been prompted by the horrific killing of Laken Riley at the University of Georgia, I have seen one argument pop up more than any other: namely, that the resentment that is being directed toward both the Biden administration and the government of New York City is misplaced, because, statistically, illegal immigrants commit crimes at a lower rate than U.S. citizens. On Twitter, the Cato Institute’s David Boaz made this case as pithily as I have seen it made: “On the day that young woman was tragically killed,” Boaz wrote, “70 people were killed by American citizens.”

I must confess that I find this way of thinking entirely baffling. If the question at hand here were, “Do illegal immigrants commit crimes at a higher rate than U.S. citizens?” these numbers would be relevant. But that’s not the question, is it? The question that the critics are asking is, “What could have been done to prevent this murder?” And, clearly, the answer to that inquiry is going to be completely different when one is dealing with illegal immigrants — or any non-American visitors, for that matter — than when one is dealing with American citizens. By law, the United States government is obliged to monitor who is entering the country, and to turn away at the border anyone who is deemed likely to present a threat. For reasons that ought to be self-evident, it does not perform that service internally. Practically, philosophically, and politically, to compare the two directly is to compare chalk and cheese.

That the United States makes some effort to keep out non-citizen ne’er-do-wells ought to be obvious to anyone who has ever visited the country by airplane. ...Most Americans — even most libertarian-leaning Americans — believe that running basic security checks of this type is a good idea.

Which brings us back to why people are angry with President Biden and the Democratic Party, and why an appeal to statistics does nothing to repel that anger. Unlike American citizens, for whom America is home, the man who killed Laken Riley should not have been in the United States in the first instance. It is true, of course, that, in a nation this big, some people will sneak through despite our best efforts to keep them out. But President Biden has not been making that effort. In fact, Biden has done precisely the opposite. Driven by a combination of fringe ideology and Trump-mirroring oppositional-defiant disorder, President Biden came into office three years ago and undid everything that had proved useful in keeping illegal immigration down. The result has been the biggest border crisis in a generation and an astonishing influx of people who do not qualify for admission. Americans know this.

Americans also know that, if the authorities in our largest cities were not so beholden to fringe identity politics, the man who allegedly killed Laken Riley would never have made it down to Georgia. Last year, Jose Antonio Ibarra was arrested in New York City on suspicion of endangering the life of a child, but, because New York City has combined an unwillingness to prosecute crime with a refusal to discourage illegal immigration, Ibarra was not charged, tried, convicted, and handed over to the authorities for deportation, but released back into the United States. This fact — that one of our governments had in its custody a man who it knew was bad news, and who it knew was here illegally — justly infuriates people. Appropriately, our Constitution limits what we can do about recidivists who happened to be born here: We can arrest, try, and convict them, certainly, but we cannot send them abroad to become someone else’s problem. Aliens, by contrast, have no freestanding right to enter the United States, and can thus be sent home if they misbehave. Jose Antonio Ibarra had no business being in America — and, once his presence had been discovered, he should not have been.

There is nothing bigoted, monomaniacal, or inappropriate about our wanting this distinction to be observed. As a matter of fact, I was wholly supportive of the U.S. government’s drawing it when I was not yet a citizen myself. Now that I am an American, I am entitled to all the protections that are accorded to the native-born. But I wasn’t always — and I shouldn’t have been always. Between being granted my first temporary visa in 2011 and raising my right hand at my citizenship ceremony in 2018, I was one of the most investigated people in the United States! During those seven years, I was repeatedly fingerprinted and photographed; I had to tell the federal government each time I moved; I went through four rounds of background checks; I was subjected to an in-depth interview at the U.S. Embassy in London; I had to provide a list of every country I’d traveled to, every place I’d lived, every job I’d had, and every organization I’d joined in the last five years; I had to vow that I was not a terrorist or human-trafficker or criminal and that I was not going to restrict anyone’s religious liberty; and, before I could obtain citizenship, I had to pass a civics test. Eventually, this led to my being moved from one category to the other, but at no point during the long transition did I consider the process unfair. Like the vast majority of Americans, I believe that American citizens have every right to determine who joins them in this country — and when one of the people who has joined them is charged with murdering an innocent college student, they have every right to be furious about it.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Clearly the panic stricken responses on this forum prove that without a doubt the Democrat party is in full fledged damage control mode. It has gotten so bad that they even have to drag Joe kicking and screaming to the southern border. Ironic that trump will be visiting the southern border at the same time. If Joe loses to trump he will have followed the same game plan that the Queen of Evil did in 2016. That is where arrogance and elitism supercedes common sense. Joe created this nightmare at the border. His ineptitude in doing so may lose him this election.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

I find it funny and sad that if this dude immigrated legally (or was born here) and murdered this woman, you all wouldn't care a lick.
old salt

Post by old salt »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 pm I find it funny and sad that if this dude immigrated legally (or was born here) and murdered this woman, you all wouldn't care a lick.
What's not funny & more than sad, is that you don't see the difference,
There were two chances to prevent this one.

Unlike American citizens, for whom America is home, the man who killed Laken Riley should not have been in the United States in the first instance.
NattyBohChamps04

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:00 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 pm I find it funny and sad that if this dude immigrated legally (or was born here) and murdered this woman, you all wouldn't care a lick.

Unlike American citizens, for whom America is home, the man who killed Laken Riley should not have been in the United States in the first instance.
There were way more chances than two to prevent this one. You fail to see the many chances we had at stopping this before it happened. That's even sadder.

Sadder that Republicans like you blocked immigration reform. An entire bill you asked for. Blocked just to score political points.

You had a chance to make immigration better, and you p!ssed it away for Donald Trump? Talk about incompetency.

The cherry on top? You wouldn't do anything to prevent this woman's murder if it was a US citizen doing the deed. You'd cut everything that might have helped.
old salt

Post by old salt »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:11 am
old salt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:00 am

There were way more chances than two to prevent this one. You fail to see the many chances we had at stopping this before it happened. That's even sadder.

Sadder that Republicans like you blocked immigration reform. An entire bill you asked for. Blocked just to score political points.

You had a chance to make immigration better, and you p!ssed it away for Donald Trump? Talk about incompetency.

The cherry on top? You wouldn't do anything to prevent this woman's murder if it was a US citizen doing the deed. You'd cut everything that might have helped.
This killer entered the US in 2022, long before the compromise bill was even considered.
The compromise bill you cite would not have denied him entry if he was among the first 8500 asylum seekers that day, or 35,000/7 days.
The bill you reference also did not stop Biden's parole entry for 30,000 migrants/month from Venezuela, Nicaragua, Cuba & Haiti.
https://www.uscis.gov/CHNV.
The Dems controlled both the House & Senate in Biden's first 2 years. He did not pursue a compromise bill then.
Biden just cancelled all of Trump's policies & asked Congress for more money to enable DHS to let more in & to resettle them throughout the US.
If the killer was a US citizen he could have been held & tried in NYC, but they don't do that anymore there. They're too busy prosecuting Trump.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:59 pm

I hope all goes well with your surgery. I can relate. I'm 5 weeks out from the 4th surgery on my pesky shoulder. This last go round was a total reverse replacement. Hopefully this surgery works. Chronic pain is no fun at all. My goal is to be back into the garden in mid May.
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:29 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:11 am There were way more chances than two to prevent this one. You fail to see the many chances we had at stopping this before it happened. That's even sadder.

This killer entered the US in 2022, long before the compromise bill was even considered.
The compromise bill you cite would not have denied him entry if he was among the first 8500 asylum seekers that day, or 35,000/7 days.
The bill you reference also did not stop Biden's parole entry for 30,000 migrants/month from Venezuela, Nicaragua, Cuba & Haiti.
The Dems controlled both the House & Senate in Biden's first 2 years. He did not pursue a compromise bill then.
Biden just cancelled all of Trump's policies & asked Congress for more money to enable DHS to let more in & to resettle them throughout the US.
If the killer was a US citizen he could have been held & tried in NYC, but they don't do that anymore there. They're too busy prosecuting Trump.
I never said that bill would have prevented this particular murder, keep up.

If you're gonna ignore the filibuster, it's funnier that Republicans had control of Congress and the White House for two years under Trump and never passed immigration reform. An issue y'all seem to care about so deeply vs. Democrats. Something Trump campaigned on relentlessly.

Immigration is one of the Republican's biggest issues. The sky is falling! And the solution was to build a wall that would do nothing to stop asylum seekers and drug smugglers? :lol: You complain about the Dems when your own side doesn't do anything to fix the problem when they're in charge. And you also complain when the Dems give in to all your demands in a bill and your side still says no.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:23 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:11 am There were way more chances than two to prevent this one. You fail to see the many chances we had at stopping this before it happened. That's even sadder.

If you're gonna ignore the filibuster, it's funnier that Republicans had control of Congress and the White House for two years under Trump and never passed immigration reform. An issue y'all seem to care about so deeply vs. Democrats. Something Trump campaigned on relentlessly.

Immigration is one of the Republican's biggest issues. The sky is falling! And the solution was to build a wall that would do nothing to stop asylum seekers and drug smugglers? :lol: You complain about the Dems when your own side doesn't do anything to fix the problem when they're in charge. And you also complain when the Dems give in to all your demands in a bill and your side still says no.
Old Salt will NEVER understand that his whole "the Dems are bad with immigration" schtick is specifically, and precisely, why Republicans in Congress will NEVER pass a proper immigration reform bill. It's too valuable of a fake issue for them to ever solve these problem. It gets guys like OS worked up.

OS and the other R"s on the board have been falling for this game for DECADES now. And they REFUSE to hold their team accountable for not passing bills.

In short they are DEMANDING that their R reps do nothing, so that they can b*tch and whine and complain about how the Dems are "doing it wrong" year after year after year.

The idea that the border is our biggest problem is LAUGHABLE. How's life for TrumpNation the last few decades? How are their wages? How's the price of medical care suiting them? How's the education system doing? How's the cost of college or vocational training.

This is why the "emergency at the border" that's lasted for over 12 years now will never die: it allows the 1%ers to royally screw over TrumpNation, who are convinced that drag queens, trans athletes and books are their biggest problem. It's just.....sad.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:02 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:23 am

Old Salt will NEVER understand that his whole "the Dems are bad with immigration" schtick is specifically, and precisely, why Republicans in Congress will NEVER pass a proper immigration reform bill. It's too valuable of a fake issue for them to ever solve these problem. It gets guys like OS worked up.

OS and the other R"s on the board have been falling for this game for DECADES now. And they REFUSE to hold their team accountable for not passing bills.

In short they are DEMANDING that their R reps do nothing, so that they can b*tch and whine and complain about how the Dems are "doing it wrong" year after year after year.

The idea that the border is our biggest problem is LAUGHABLE. How's life for TrumpNation the last few decades? How are their wages? How's the price of medical care suiting them? How's the education system doing? How's the cost of college or vocational training.

This is why the "emergency at the border" that's lasted for over 12 years now will never die: it allows the 1%ers to royally screw over TrumpNation, who are convinced that drag queens, trans athletes and books are their biggest problem. It's just.....sad.
What game are you talking about? You keep circling back to this being a republican concoction to maintain the status quo. Republicans and Democrats have been dog dicking this issue for over 40 years. The best these weasels can do now is point fingers at the other side and pass the buck for the ineptitude in dealing with this issue. This recent attempt at a bipartisan compromise crashed like a lead balloon. If this issue had not blown up in Bidens face in an election year doing nothing would still be the modus operandi from both sides. All talk and no action, what a surprise. :roll:
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”