movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 pm ^ "Cucumber" ~ the equivalent of pr*ck ~
“Peter” is also sometimes used euphemistically.
Yeah, for a first name. As for a surname, the name Prickle or Tickler may say it best but, as you wrote, you have to first get past the Hollywood code people. :lol:
In the Three Stooges short Three Little Beers from 1935, the beer company the boys worked for was called Panther Pilsner. We can put two and two together to figure the last part of that name out. 🤣
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:53 am
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 pm ^ "Cucumber" ~ the equivalent of pr*ck ~
“Peter” is also sometimes used euphemistically.
Yeah, for a first name. As for a surname, the name Prickle or Tickler may say it best but, as you wrote, you have to first get past the Hollywood code people. :lol:
In the Three Stooges short Three Little Beers from 1935, the beer company the boys worked for was called Panther Pilsner. We can put two and two together to figure the last part of that name out. 🤣

... or the Stooges episode I mentioned a while ago where a ruler is named OctoPUS GRABbus. :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Laurel and Hardy - The Bullfighters - 1945

First the little one, then the big one ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Not sure if it’s worth mentioning but Pootie Tang is on tonight. Got to be one of the worst films ever.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Watching Black Widow (again) with my kids. Couple of observations:

Marvel really mailed it in on this one.

Even though she’s getting long in the tooth, Scarlett Johansson still makes me sit separate from my kids in the house while watching it.

The dad, played by David Harbour, is the best part of the movie. And he really is a very good actor too. Recall him in a few other roles including a Denzel one where Denzel is a Lowe’s type employee but retired CIA or whatever and gets revenge on the Russian mafia for hurting a girl or something like that.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

found this gem on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HitqUVNWi0g

great stuff

Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 pm Watching Black Widow (again) with my kids. Couple of observations:

Even though she’s getting long in the tooth, Scarlett Johansson still makes me sit separate from my kids in the house while watching it.

The dad, played by David Harbour, is the best part of the movie. And he really is a very good actor too. Recall him in a few other roles including a Denzel one where Denzel is a Lowe’s type employee but retired CIA or whatever and gets revenge on the Russian mafia for hurting a girl or something like that.
The Equalizer. Like John Wick, once I start watching it, I end up watching the whole thing despite it not being a great movie.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 pm Watching Black Widow (again) with my kids. Couple of observations:

The Equalizer. Like John Wick, once I start watching it, I end up watching the whole thing despite it not being a great movie.
It’s really not a good movie and I’ve probably seen it 10x. It the Russian bad guy is kind of compelling and Harbor as the dirty cop Liason is pretty good.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 pm

It’s really not a good movie and I’ve probably seen it 10x. It the Russian bad guy is kind of compelling and Harbor as the dirty cop Liason is pretty good.
Not great at all but you end up watching it over and over. Jack Reacher is similar. I like the actress in that film….she was in Gone Girl…. Something about her. I liked Kathleen Turner in her heyday… maybe this woman is similar.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

First John Wick with great supporting cast, Theon as the bad guy and visually they did a nice job. Better than the equalizer by a “country mile” IMO. Something about the scene where he’s killing dudes in the club to that chill song and the visual effects and colors all comes together really well. To me he’s like the punisher willing to endure pain and take a whopping. Always love Tara from Friday Night Lights too and Ian McShane running the continental is excellent of course. John Leguizamo is a good actor in a small role and William dafoe. It’s funny because I believe it was low budget with low expectations but became cult classic quick and now it’s iconic with a 4th one coming. But if you think about the cast it’s pretty darn good except Keanu. The concierge at the Hitman (continental) hotel is a really good actor going all the way back to Oz but yet the premise that he burns down a Russian mafia organization coming out of retirement because some douche kills his dog and steals his car is laughable.

Tara from Friday Night lights was so hot then. Watched years of a sueprhero show because she was on it too
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:21 pm First John Wick with great supporting cast, Theon as the bad guy and visually they did a nice job. Better than the equalizer by a “country mile” IMO. Something about the scene where he’s killing dudes in the club to that chill song and the visual effects and colors all comes together really well. To me he’s like the punisher willing to endure pain and take a whopping. Always love Tara from Friday Night Lights too and Ian McShane running the continental is excellent of course. huh Leguizamo is a good actor in a small role and William dafoe. It’s funny because I believe it was low budget with low expectations but became cult classic quick and now it’s iconic with a 4th one coming. But if you think about the cast it’s pretty darn good except Keanu. The concierge at the Birman hotel is a really good actor going all the way back to Oz but yet the premise that he burns down a Russian mafia organization coming out of retirement because some douche kills his dog and steals his car is laughable.

Tara from Friday Night lights was so hot then. Watched years of a sueprhero show because she was on it too
John Wick was a better film than Equalizer and the acting was far better. I didn’t mind Keanu that much either. Perkins was excellent. She was deadly
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Florence Pugh is an absolute bombshell with a an awesome personality. She made the movie. Agree on David Harbour, he brings it in every role.

Joe
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Dune was absolutely mesmerizing. The world-building, cast, visuals and sheer immensess of it all. Timothee Chalamet was great, but Stellan Skarsgaard as Baron Harkonnen was INCREDIBLE. Cannot wait until the 2nd film, exploring the 2nd half of the novel. Way too expensive to be all in one film. Sandworm's are just fascinating.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:53 pm Dune was absolutely mesmerizing. The world-building, cast, visuals and sheer immensess of it all. Timothee Chalamet was great, but Stellan Skarsgaard as Baron Harkonnen was INCREDIBLE. Cannot wait until the 2nd film, exploring the 2nd half of the novel. Way too expensive to be all in one film. Sandworm's are just fascinating.

Joe
May watch it tomorrow.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:53 pm Dune was absolutely mesmerizing. The world-building, cast, visuals and sheer immensess of it all. Timothee Chalamet was great, but Stellan Skarsgaard as Baron Harkonnen was INCREDIBLE. Cannot wait until the 2nd film, exploring the 2nd half of the novel. Way too expensive to be all in one film. Sandworm's are just fascinating.

Joe
Joe - do you need to have read the book or can you you go in blind and enjoy this?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Joe
Joe - do you need to have read the book or can you you go in blind and enjoy this?
Book is ok but movie is fine but it was made with David lynch in the 80s, this is a remake. Lynch can be a bit proud of himself but forget book watch the first movie before the remake id suggest

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KwPTIEWTYEI
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Rear Window is on. One of my favorite films and Grace Kelly was just luxuriously gorgeous. The scenes were spectacular shot. The color scheme was brilliant. Hitchcock at his finest.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Joe
Might be a bit hard to follow if you are not familiar with the book first. It is an epic but very esoteric story.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:32 pm Rear Window is on. One of my favorite films and Grace Kelly was just luxuriously gorgeous. The scenes were spectacular shot. The color scheme was brilliant. Hitchcock at his finest.
12 Angry Men (1957) - only 97 minutes in length, shot in black & white and almost the entire film occurrs in one location - a jury room. No gimmicks. No special effects. Magnificent dialogue delivered by exceptional actors none of whom are alive today.

Many lessons applicable especially today. The power of film to deliver a message. Thanks to Sidney Lumet.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”