Miscellaneous Thoughts on Film

Movies, TV, and Music
Typical Lax Dad

Re: There Will Be Blood

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:43 pm This is some kind of movie. One intense scene after another with breathers in between. Daniel Day Lewis--what a performance. I don't remember a larger than life character like Daniel Plainview. Dialog is unique and bold and harsh at times--but always with a ring of truth. No hollywood fluff or sentiment. I have to be in a certain mood for it as it is dark but when in such a mood--this is quite an epic tale.

There's a still shot of the in home bowling alley between the briefest of wedding scenes and the son coming to part ways with his father near the end of the movie that is right out of the elevator doors blood scenes from The Shining. Coloring, lighting--everything.
FANTASTIC FILM..Daniel Day Lewis is the best actor of his generation.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:10 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:43 pm This is some kind of movie. One intense scene after another with breathers in between. Daniel Day Lewis--what a performance. I don't remember a larger than life character like Daniel Plainview. Dialog is unique and bold and harsh at times--but always with a ring of truth. No hollywood fluff or sentiment. I have to be in a certain mood for it as it is dark but when in such a mood--this is quite an epic tale.

There's a still shot of the in home bowling alley between the briefest of wedding scenes and the son coming to part ways with his father near the end of the movie that is right out of the elevator doors blood scenes from The Shining. Coloring, lighting--everything.
He was outstanding in Lincoln. Have you seen that?

I’ve yet to see Gangs of New York.
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:14 pm

I have not seen all of Lincoln. I need to...I didn't like Gangs of New York the first time. I have seen it maybe 5 times now. It's very good. DiCaprio grew on me. You see My Left Foot?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:18 pm

I have not seen all of Lincoln. I need to...I didn't like Gangs of New York the first time. I have seen it maybe 5 times now. It's very good. DiCaprio grew on me. You see My Left Foot?
I tried that a while back. Something about it made me uncomfortable early on. I think I banged out of that movie about 10 minutes in. What did you think of it?
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:20 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:18 pm

I tried that a while back. Something about it made me uncomfortable early on. I think I banged out of that movie about 10 minutes in. What did you think of it?
I saw it a long time ago. I thought Day’s performance was remarkable. The character was actually from the same neighborhood in Ireland as a friend.
OuttaNowhereWregget

One of the scenes within a scene that I found fascinating was how Lewis got up from the floor in the bowling alley scene at the end of the movie. By that time the character was a raging alcoholic, as evidenced by him slapping the back of his own head and shuffling out his shakes as he swigged from his flask, then chugged down a huge amount of alcohol before settling in to hear Eli's proposal. Reminded me of some of Bukowski's memoirs.
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:13 pm

One of the scenes within a scene that I found fascinating was how Lewis got up from the floor in the bowling alley scene at the end of the movie. By that time the character was a raging alcoholic, as evidenced by him slapping the back of his own head and shuffling out his shakes as he swigged from his flask, then chugged down a huge amount of alcohol before settling in to hear Eli's proposal. Reminded me of some of Bukowski's memoirs.
I am going to watch it again. I saw it once. Remember the bowling alley scene as being shocking. It was an excellent movie. He was good in In The Name Of The Father.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:19 pm

I am going to watch it again. I saw it once. Remember the bowling alley scene as being shocking. It was an excellent movie. He was good in In The Name Of The Father.
If you have Netflix, you're golden.
Typical Lax Dad

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:29 pm

Yes. I saw it on there.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Yes. I saw it on there.
Still trying to figure out how he agreed to star in Last of the Mohicans as Fenimore Cooper's hero Natty Bumppo AKA Hawkeye.

His was also fantasically diabolical and macabre as Bill the Butcher in Scorsese's Gangs of New York.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:37 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Yes. I saw it on there.
Still trying to figure out how he agreed to star in Last of the Mohicans as Fenimore Cooper's hero Natty Bumppo AKA Hawkeye.

His was also fantasically diabolical and macabre as Bill the Butcher in Scorsese's Gangs of New York.
Happy to say I have not seen it Last of The Mohicans
old salt

Last of the Mohicans

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:37 amStill trying to figure out how he agreed to star in Last of the Mohicans as Fenimore Cooper's hero Natty Bumppo AKA Hawkeye.
Why not ? It was filmed in 1992 ? Was it an accurate rendering of Cooper's novel -- not actual history ?

https://www.basedonatruestorypodcast.co ... -mohicans/
OuttaNowhereWregget

Moneyball

Moneyball is a fun movie to watch. One of those based on a true story flicks. Truly inspired part of the film is the 20 game winning streak—especially Hatteberg’s pinch hit game winning dinger for #20. Beane’s relationship with the Yale whiz kid Peter Brand is the best part of the movie for me. The scenes with Beane butting heads with the scouts and manager Art Howe (nicely understated performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman) are great too.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I love all things DDL but diverge from TLD in that I LOVE Gangs of NY! Perhaps second favorite film easily in too 5 though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UQyDNLaV-iM
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:39 pm I love all things DDL but diverge from TLD in that I LOVE Gangs of NY! Perhaps second favorite film easily in too 5 though.

It’s on my list of films to see. In the very near future.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:39 pm

I love all things DDL but diverge from TLD in that I LOVE Gangs of NY! Perhaps second favorite film easily in too 5 though.

That was an all time great character. I have seen that movie maybe 5 times.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Miscellaneous Thoughts on Film

If you like Don Rickles at all, this is THE documentary. So many great clips from his appearances on various talk shows including the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. So many interviews with celebrities and anecdotes a-plenty. Well done and compelling. I was surprised to find it in its entirety.

Kismet

Re: Last of the Mohicans

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:33 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:37 amStill trying to figure out how he agreed to star in Last of the Mohicans as Fenimore Cooper's hero Natty Bumppo AKA Hawkeye.
Why not ? It was filmed in 1992 ? Was it an accurate rendering of Cooper's novel -- not actual history ?

https://www.basedonatruestorypodcast.co ... -mohicans/
Nothing wrong with the film nor Lewis' performance in it. I was simply musing that the character he played was IMHO not the kind of role that he normally portrays and his performance reflects that. Nowhere near the depth and intensity of Lincoln, In the Name of the Father, Gangs of New York, There Will be Blood or My Left Foot as examples.

As for the film, itself, only loosely based on the Cooper novel. right down to his name - Nathaniel Poe was Nathaniel Bumppo in the Cooper novel. The character actually appears in all of the series of five separate Cooper novels nominally called Leatherstocking Tales.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Moneyball

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:04 pm Moneyball is a fun movie to watch. One of those based on a true story flicks. Truly inspired part of the film is the 20 game winning streak—especially Hatteberg’s pinch hit game winning dinger for #20. Beane’s relationship with the Yale whiz kid Peter Brand is the best part of the movie for me. The scenes with Beane butting heads with the scouts and manager Art Howe (nicely understated performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman) are great too.

Setting aside the whole “the book is better” which is universally true I believe, there is an element that gets overlooked which is that the As, my favorite team since a couple of years before Cansecos rookie year (86, McGuire was rookie in 87 bc they had 3 straight rookies of the year with Walt Weiss winning in 1988), had five stud young pitchers that worked out pretty well for that period he made his name. I grew up with Binghamton Mets double A baseball and they could’ve had the same success of their stable of dope minor league pitchers stayed healthy which included Paul Wilson, Jason Isringhausen, Bill Pulshipher and Bobby Jones (threw a two hitter to win the AA championship in 92 or 93 I saw) and Cory Lidle (flew a chopper into a bldg my buddy lived in in upper east side near Sothebys when I was living nearby in 07-08 area). Having Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder & Barry Zito (friend from grad school used to “hang out” with his girlfriend when he was on the road...)

.I understand the data driven concept of creating a comprehensive unit that would be expected to generate more runs than they give up over a larger sample size providing an opportunity of the playoffs many seasons but it ignores the reality that in a short series the more individually talented teams win out quite often and you end up first round and out. I just think the book revolutionized a concept that existed outside baseball and it also doesn’t acknowledge the downside of running such a business model (and that’s before we note the copycat nature of pro sports which has ruined baseball by making a “fake” data a glitch driven exercise now and not a sport-all homers, strikeouts and defensive shifts along with ten pitching changes per team per game).
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Moneyball

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:51 am I understand the data driven concept of creating a comprehensive unit that would be expected to generate more runs than they give up over a larger sample size providing an opportunity of the playoffs many seasons but it ignores the reality that in a short series the more individually talented teams win out quite often and you end up first round and out. I just think the book revolutionized a concept that existed outside baseball and it also doesn’t acknowledge the downside of running such a business model (and that’s before we note the copycat nature of pro sports which has ruined baseball by making a “fake” data a glitch driven exercise now and not a sport-all homers, strikeouts and defensive shifts along with ten pitching changes per team per game).
Couldn't agree more. It's just not the same game anymore. The guy in the clip is Tony Massarotti. Formerly a beat reporter for the Red Sox for well over a decade. He detests analytics and blames them for ruining baseball as we knew it. Here's a little piece of the rant he went on when the Sox traded Andrew Benintendi. He takes a swipe at the analytics guys in the process.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”