Miscellaneous Thoughts on Film

Movies, TV, and Music
Cletus

Miscellaneous Thoughts on Film

Post by Cletus »

Stephen King watched a lot of Twilight Zone episodes. He gleaned from “It’s a Good Life” for the boy in The Shining, and “The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street” for the car starting on its own in Christine. He made great stories from them but you can clearly see where the ideas came from.
Brooklyn

Re: Miscellaneous Thoughts on Film

Post by Brooklyn »

Richard Matheson was from God's Country and graduated from Brooklyn Tech High School. My earliest memories in life are of looking out of our window and seeing the school across the street on Fort Greene Place. He had a major role in the old Twilight Zone:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/remember- ... e-eps-free

Years ago he viewed a photo of Maud Adams and was utterly enthralled by her pic:

He was inspired to write Bid Time Return (also known as Somewhere In Time) because of that pic. This led to the famous movie which remains as the only romance movie in history to have as many if not more male fans than female fans. To this day his extraordinary writings have a great influence over Hollywood, television, and entertainment.

I've always had the feeling that Mr Matheson and I are like twin brothers of different mothers.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

from Bing:

Stephen King was also influenced by many different authors, and different styles: The 19th-century Gothic-style tradition of writing, and those especially written by Edgar Allen Poe had a very large influence on Stephen King. Stephen King also says that horror writer Richard Matheson was one of the most influential authors in his writing.

more on Mr Matheson:

https://www.scarystudies.com/richard-matheson-books/

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.whbeq1To5 ... mgDet&rs=1

He may well be the most influential writer in the modern era.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Imagine—Stephen King sold the movie rights to Shawshank Redemption for a thousand bucks.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Some of Stephen Hing's short stories are excellent. We call him a great horror writer, even a great horror screenplay writer, when he was a truly gifted writer.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:56 am Some of Stephen Hing's short stories are excellent. We call him a great horror writer, even a great horror screenplay writer, when he was a truly gifted writer.
Agreed. He sure was great at sketching characters. Even in short stories where you wouldn’t think he would have time to develop a character, he still did a good job.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

That's exactly it. He's a great writer... who happened to enjoy writing horror.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:56 am Some of Stephen King's short stories are excellent. We call him a great horror writer, even a great horror screenplay writer, when he was a truly gifted writer.
Remember his first collection of short stories--Night Shift? There were some good ones in there. Quitters Inc. where the guy gets hooked up with this group that guarantees you quit smoking, no matter what lengths they need to go to. Battleground where the little plastic army guys come to life and attack the protagonist. Gray Matter when the kid keeps buying beer for his dad who has somehow mutated because he drank a beer that had gone over or something. I read those back when they came out in '78 and they still stay with me.

Which ones were you thinking of?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I’ve now seen The Departed and Black Mass. Any other movies out there based on Whitey Bulger?
OuttaNowhereWregget

There are certain male leads I never liked. Richard Gere was one. Bradley Cooper is another.

Then there are male leads I've always liked: Pacino, Nicholson, Hoffman.

One of my all time favorite character actors was Harry Dean Stanton. Loved him in Repo Man. Here he is in a scene from Christine. It starts at the first appearance of Stanton in the movie--State Police Detective Rudolph Junkins

https://youtu.be/1K_rpFJyQUs?t=365
OuttaNowhereWregget

Watching "Comes a Horseman". The scene in the bar with James Caan. Ain't nothing quite so satisfying as to see f*cking bullies get their comeuppance.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:09 am I’ve now seen The Departed and Black Mass. Any other movies out there based on Whitey Bulger?

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni62263798

https://www.thewrap.com/whitey-bulger-m ... blacklist/

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-ent ... tv-movies/

I can well imagine that movies and books based on him will be created many mores times for decades to come.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:34 pm

One of my all time favorite character actors was Harry Dean Stanton. Loved him in Repo Man.

We have that in common. Always loved his work.

One of my all time fave movies was "Murder Inc": https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054102/

Hollywood should have made a remake of this gem. HD Stanton would have portrayed Abe Reles as well if not better than did Peter Falk.

https://poetandpriest.com/wp-content/up ... er-Inc.jpg

OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:49 pm Watching "Comes a Horseman". The scene in the bar with James Caan. Ain't nothing quite so satisfying as to see f*cking bullies get their comeuppance.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Another great scene from the silver screen where bullies get dealt with in like manner.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Great scene from Mississippi Burning

OuttaNowhereWregget

The Stooges never got enough credit for their clever lines. As Moe tries to thaw a frozen Curly, he references a cooking time chart (maybe for cooking turkey or chicken) in making a crack about his weight.

OuttaNowhereWregget

In the 1951 film, Blanche DuBois sings the song that was released in 1933 and originally entitled "If You Believed in Me" later changed to the more popular title "It's Only a Paper Moon". Peter Bogdanovich heard the song while he was working on a film called "Addie Pray" adapted from the novel when he heard the song. He asked his friend Orson Welles (yes, that Orson Welles) what he thought of changing the name of the film to Paper Moon and voilá:

OuttaNowhereWregget

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

I love movies. I’ve always been fascinated by film. I’ve seen hundreds of movies. A good portion multiple times. A good portion of those double digits, with a select number of those well over 20 times. It’s easy to try watching new movies these days with all the streaming services. However, most of the time I’m watching films I’ve already seen as there are hundreds to cycle through.

Ever get the hankerin for a particular movie and when you do watch it—it just hits the spot? That’s always fun. A few recent ones where that occurred were The Long Hot Summer; True Confessions; Trumbo; Scent of a Woman; Manchester by the Sea; What Doesn’t Kill You and currently The Social Network. Movies are one of life’s great escapes.

If I find someone who likes to trade movie lines at work—that’s also a lot of fun. There was a guy who used to work in the warehouse but took another position at the home office. While he was there, he and I would constantly trade lines from two films primarily—Full Metal Jacket and Caddyshack. Tons of great lines from both those flicks. Makes the day go by.
OuttaNowhereWregget

There Will Be Blood

This is some kind of movie. One intense scene after another with breathers in between. Daniel Day Lewis--what a performance. I don't remember a larger than life character like Daniel Plainview. Dialog is unique and bold and harsh at times--but always with a ring of truth. No hollywood fluff or sentiment. I have to be in a certain mood for it as it is dark but when in such a mood--this is quite an epic tale.

There's a still shot of the in home bowling alley between the briefest of wedding scenes and the son coming to part ways with his father near the end of the movie that is right out of the elevator doors blood scenes from The Shining. Coloring, lighting--everything.

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”