Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:06 pm Pretty sure that illegal gun possession by those folks gives them another stint in jail.

I very much disagree that we've made it difficult to purchase weapons. It's super easy.
It is easy if you don't have a criminal record. That is what the FBI check your friendly FFL dealer does before he can hand you your weapon. Correct me if I'm wrong but if your a convicted felon purchasing your weapon on the black market the FBI background check is not a problem? FTR, if your a law abiding citizen why shouldn't the purchase of a firearm be simple and easy.. once you pass the background check from your FFL dealer? :roll:
I was only reacting to the notion that we've made it hard...it's not.

I'm definitely in favor of background checks, but that can be gotten around by going to a gun show (too easy).

I also think that anyone who purchases a gun should need to have taken a safety course, etc.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:34 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:17 pm
LaxFan2000 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:57 am Where’s the stooped laughing emoji folks like to overuse so much??

This is total BS fraud.
If you are talking about your response, then yes it is correct. Keep seeking out that one poster that you don't like and belittling his every post. Everybody can see you do that with Cradle. What did he do to you to make you get so worked up every single time he posts? must have been bad from your view.
You have no idea what your talking about and keep making claims that are wrong. Enjoy being wrong and wrong with conviction.
It's a tired trope of bringing up Chicago around here.

Inner city gun violence, as well as mass shootings and other gun violence, has been discussed here ad nauseam for nearly two decades. I guess we have to post every single time there's inner city gun violence of any kind or else we don't care about it. 🤷
Gun shows USE to be easy, at least here in NYS. My brother and I use to go to local gun shows many years ago after I got out of the army. My brother has a massive collection of primarily ww1 and ww2 bolt action rifles. The pride of his collection is the same Curcano rifle Oswald used to shoot JFK. I was always more fascinated with the immense WW2 memorabilia many dealers had. My prize purchase was a Kbar knife worn by a paratrooper in the 82nd who jumped into Normandy on D Day. Somehow I misplaced it along the way. Back on topic buying a weapon at a gun show in NYS today requires the potential buyer to pass the same FBI background check I did when I purchased my 410. I hear all the time about the " gun show loophole" that has not existed in gun shows in NYS for a number of years. FTR local gun shows for me are about looking for memorabilia from various collectors. I have a " Red Diamond 5th infantry shoulder patch" my dad wore and a vintage metal canteen all dented and beat up.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:57 am Where’s the stooped laughing emoji folks like to overuse so much??

This is total BS fraud.
If you are talking about your response, then yes it is correct. Keep seeking out that one poster that you don't like and belittling his every post. Everybody can see you do that with Cradle. What did he do to you to make you get so worked up every single time he posts? must have been bad from your view.
You have no idea what your talking about and keep making claims that are wrong. Enjoy being wrong and wrong with conviction.

Inner city gun violence, as well as mass shootings and other gun violence, has been discussed here ad nauseam for nearly two decades. I guess we have to post every single time there's inner city gun violence of any kind or else we don't care about it. 🤷
Gun shows USE to be easy, at least here in NYS. My brother and I use to go to local gun shows many years ago after I got out of the army. My brother has a massive collection of primarily ww1 and ww2 bolt action rifles. The pride of his collection is the same Curcano rifle Oswald used to shoot JFK. I was always more fascinated with the immense WW2 memorabilia many dealers had. My prize purchase was a Kbar knife worn by a paratrooper in the 82nd who jumped into Normandy on D Day. Somehow I misplaced it along the way. Back on topic buying a weapon at a gun show in NYS today requires the potential buyer to pass the same FBI background check I did when I purchased my 410. I hear all the time about the " gun show loophole" that has not existed in gun shows in NYS for a number of years. FTR local gun shows for me are about looking for memorabilia from various collectors. I have a " Red Diamond 5th infantry shoulder patch" my dad wore and a vintage metal canteen all dented and beat up.
Well, thank those down staters for making it a little harder, with background check...but just cross the border into PA...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:08 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:04 pm

This is total BS fraud.

Well, thank those down staters for making it a little harder, with background check...but just cross the border into PA...
I have not been to a local gun show in a long time. I know 40 years ago you could buy almost any damn thing you wanted short of fully automatic. My interest faded from guns a long time ago. If I ever have the chance to buy a knife that a paratrooper wore jumping into Normandy I will be all over it. This old soldier looks at gun shows as a mega type garage sale. One last off topic comment. This had to have been almost 40 years ago. I was still living at home with my parents. My brother ran into a WW2 vet selling his German Mauser rifle he brought back from his time in Europe. My brother didn't have 10 cents in his pocket. He asked me to buy it for him since I was still flush with cash having just got out of the army. I bought it for 150 dollars back in 1982. The rifle was pristine. All the serial numbers were original to include the bayonet and scabbard. If you can find 8mm ammo today you have yourself one hell of an assault rifle.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:53 am

This is total BS fraud.

Natty, just for your well being, if you are irritated by posts every time something in politics / current events happen, you may not want to visit a forum that discusses... politics / current events!

;)

Remember not every poster at Fanlax is like that certain over-the-top, self-important guy, itching for a response. Sometimes people post just post to inform/update about the topics regularly discussed in the thread.

Silence is NOT consent, no matter what some around here might say to try and bolster their argument.
There’s intent around posting on inner city violence. It’s not just down to be informative because there’s no follow on digestion at the problem there or solution. Stories that are informative usually either have embedded causes and solutions or a poster would include one. Playing ignorant is just behaving ignorantly.

BTW, had my first full time Practice. I need to get a whistle, have a feeling these kids will be able to beat kenyons in long distance foot races when I’m done with them this season.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:10 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:04 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:53 am

This is total BS fraud.

Natty, just for your well being, if you are irritated by posts every time something in politics / current events happen, you may not want to visit a forum that discusses... politics / current events!

;)

Remember not every poster at Fanlax is like that certain over-the-top, self-important guy, itching for a response. Sometimes people post just post to inform/update about the topics regularly discussed in the thread.

Silence is NOT consent, no matter what some around here might say to try and bolster their argument.
You didn't like Natty participating?
Love the participation.

But the participation was just complaining...about inferred "required" participation.

Thus my explainer- "No response necessary." A lesson we ALL could learn from.

;)
Yes but I’m the first one quoted in this string but there was a worthless responses prior to which I was responded too. That “participation” was no more incite duly or valuable than Nattys.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:56 pm Thnx.
I'd add to marijuana (still a Sched 1 drug) legalization, all drugs.
I know you secretly like Crack!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yvwlEPyi6Y4
See Martin, Malcolm
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The local police here in Rochester NY/ Monroe County have come up with a unique way of keeping felons possessing ILLEGAL WEAPONS in jail. When they are arrested for possession of an illegal weapon they check the serial # of the weapon. If the weapon is from out of NYS they hand the prosecution over to the feds using a violation of interstate commerce rules. The FEDS now take the lead in prosecuting these people. We all know how compassionate the Feds are. The win/win here is that despite very lax bail regulations in NYS now these mother effing scumbags who possess illegal weapons can now be prosecuted by the federal government.... Maybe they can plead for forgiveness from Joe Biden??
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Another mass shooting. This time in a park.
6 shot. Another dead. 25 casings found.
No suspect IDs. No known motive. Killer got away.
Police didnt show up until it was over.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime ... story.html
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:59 pm Another mass shooting. This time in a park.

Solution? What do you suggest?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:13 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:59 pm Another mass shooting. This time in a park.

Immediate- Citizens speaking up. Adding police beat patrols to parks, schools etc. Station police at smaller intervals.
Mid term- Prosecution of violent crimes, ticketing of nuisance/property crimes.
Long term- Build hope and fund community education resources, job training.
I don't think more gun regulations will help stop these shootings.
Too much violence. Sad for his generation.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:09 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:13 pm

Immediate- Citizens speaking up. Adding police beat patrols to parks, schools etc. Station police at smaller intervals.
Mid term- Prosecution of violent crimes, ticketing of nuisance/property crimes.
Long term- Build hope and fund community education resources, job training.
I don't think more gun regulations will help stop these shootings.
Too much violence. Sad for his generation.
The two that I bolded require far more financial resources than Baltimore City has (we have the gun regulations...do need a new DA!); to accomplish what really needs to be done would require massive federal and state financial infusion. (and its a holistic investment needed to truly create the hope and safety). I'm for that to occur; will pay enormous long term dividends if the next generation is enabled to reach their full potentials, away from poor nutrition, bad water, fear and violence. We need the political leadership at each level to get on the same page and really invest. Baby steps are not gonna get it done.

I'd add that decriminalization of drugs is essential as well. Most of the worst violence is related to turf battles and the related proliferation of guns.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So I've heard the arguments for and against decriminalizing nuisance crimes. I'm all for the decriminalization of certain low-level offenses. But there still needs to be accountability somehow. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope and you kill quality of life/business, kill the desire for people to live in the city, and property values for those that do, plummet further.

The problem with the current model of education/job training is that many of these programs are on a tiny, neighborhood, pilot scale. The state needs to advertise/push the good programs that are already in place. My wife is a professor and spends half her time explaining to her students about the Community College Promise Scholarship. That's one program that is extremely helpful, severely underutilized, and needs to be pushed harder.

https://mhec.maryland.gov/preparing/Pag ... rship.aspx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:05 pm So I've heard the arguments for and against decriminalizing nuisance crimes. I'm all for the decriminalization of certain low-level offenses. But there still needs to be accountability somehow. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope and you kill quality of life/business, kill the desire for people to live in the city, and property values for those that do, plummet further.

The problem with the current model of education/job training is that many of these programs are on a tiny, neighborhood, pilot scale. The state needs to advertise/push the good programs that are already in place. My wife is a professor and spends half her time explaining to her students about the Community College Promise Scholarship. That's one program that is extremely helpful, severely underutilized, and needs to be pushed harder.

With the bolded. It’s just problematic to make that a central feature of what the term “criminal” means. That’s a social issue but we criminalize too much already. Alternative is regulatory but you hate that and it’s understandable given general lack of accountability when ruling by regulatory fiat.

Criminal has to mean doing harm to a person IMO, not property, in general. (Obviously this isn’t an absolute statement but down the spectrum far towards this concept). Making something undesirable is a nuisance. Nuisance isn’t tangible harm.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:09 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:05 pm So I've heard the arguments for and against decriminalizing nuisance crimes. I'm all for the decriminalization of certain low-level offenses. But there still needs to be accountability somehow. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope and you kill quality of life/business, kill the desire for people to live in the city, and property values for those that do, plummet further.

With the bolded. It’s just problematic to make that a central feature of what the term “criminal” means. That’s a social issue but we criminalize too much already. Alternative is regulatory but you hate that and it’s understandable given general lack of accountability when ruling by regulatory fiat.

Criminal has to mean doing harm to a person IMO, not property, in general. (Obviously this isn’t an absolute statement but down the spectrum far towards this concept). Making something undesirable is a nuisance. Nuisance isn’t tangible harm.
I'd disagree slightly. I agree one time nuisance isn't a tangible harm.
But repeated nuisance is. As it's been documented in the news in Baltimore lately. Businesses and homeowners in many areas are losing money as a direct result of nuisance, intimidation and minor criminal behavior.
And it also seems that minor criminal jerk behavior can lead to much bigger issues...like the squeegee murder.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:51 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:09 pm

I'd disagree slightly. I agree one time nuisance isn't a tangible harm.
But repeated nuisance is. As have been documented in the news in Baltimore lately.
How do you allocate responsibility for property values in a neighborhood?

We’ve just criminalized too much in this country and keep pushing it further. It makes no sense. Just becoming increasingly a police state and both sides are responsible for that. All too punitive and too far removed from any concept of Justice.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Buyer always beware. But its part of the equation. And when policing stops, its not good for values.

I'd ask -How do you stop azzhole behavior?
Crime/annoying behavior lowers property value and drives away customers.
I'm not suggesting criminalizing one minor/criminal offense. I'm suggesting criminalizing multiple offenses.
Total disregard of neighbors. And there is a lot of it in Baltimore City. Dirt bikes, open container use, sidewalk sale of drugs. It's part of the reason Baltimore's population is on a steady decline:

2015- 622,150 -0.16
2016- 615,849 -1.01
2017- 609,841 -0.98
2018- 602,495 -1.20
2019- 593,961 -1.42
2020- 585,708 -1.39
2021 * 583,951 -0.30
2022 * 576,864 -1.21
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pm Buyer always beware. But its part of the equation. And when policing stops, its not good for values.

Gentrification in the only thing I've seen that generally lowers crime rates in neighborhoods in cities.

It's why drug cartels, crime, etc. are setting up in rural/small town America. Those people leaving Baltimore are taking their issues with them.

I've given the only answer I can come up with before: flood the city with Federal agents. They come with money, expertise, and can put the teeth into drug and gun charges. Everyone knows the Feds don't mess around. Prosecutors have resources, too.

But to FFG's point....our incarceration rates are bananas as it is.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pm Buyer always beware. But its part of the equation. And when policing stops, its not good for values.

I'm not suggesting criminalizing one minor/criminal offense. I'm suggesting criminalizing multiple offenses.
Total disregard of neighbors. And there is a lot of it in Baltimore City. Dirt bikes, open container use, sidewalk sale of drugs. It's part of the reason Baltimore's population is on a steady decline:

2015- 622,150 -0.16
2016- 615,849 -1.01
2017- 609,841 -0.98
2018- 602,495 -1.20
2019- 593,961 -1.42
2020- 585,708 -1.39
2021 * 583,951 -0.30
2022 * 576,864 -1.21
I understand but I don’t know how you create natural consequences, which means Justice, when criminalizing nuisance behavior.

I just don’t love a county where we want to criminalize actions because “how do you stop jerk behavior”? Just not what govt is for and frankly the citizens get the govt they deserve mostly (for better or worse). But there has to be better ways than making people criminals. Would there be sidewalk sales if soem if these drugs were decriminalized or legalized? My hometown is much smaller but went from 80-90k to half that in 25yrs. It’s happening in a ton of former industrial large cities and not just in the coast. Pittsburg is doing better but was left for dead. Ft wayne IN was basically redlined by Fan/Fred in multifamily Finance for years in the past two decades. Spent any time in Hartford, Mt Vernon, Poughkeepsie, Pawtucket, Providence, Syracuse, Rochester, Lehigh valley PA, massive parts of OH & KY?

Bart has its problems but some of this is demographic changes over time. There’s drugs a plenty in Atlanta but look at the home values there. There’s crime. I’ve had two break ins on my car in four years and lost three laptops with a ton of my life not on the cloud. My home keeps going up in value.

Civil and regulatory penalties are the answer somehow I believe. Or everyone needs to try a little harder rather than running away and complaining about it.
See Martin, Malcolm
DMac

Post by DMac »

How 'bout you legalize the drugs and get them (and some guns) off the streets?
Deal with the drugs as we do alcohol.

Return to “POLITICS”