Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

Post by dislaxxic »

When we last saw this thread, A Fan had dealt a DEVASTATING blow to 6ftstick's endless prevarication, where he flip-flops like a bass on the dock on the "conservative" attitude towards debt, deficits, small government, welfare and on and on and ON.

Last edited by dislaxxic on Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:40 am, edited 13 times in total.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Re: The GOP, Past and Future Direction

Post by dislaxxic »

‘The race has tightened’: Cruz allies sound alarm about Texas Senate race

Sure would be a shock to see ol' "Lyin' Ted" go down out in Texas, huh?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Mike Pence and His Talent for Being Absent

"Pence continues to take heat for his dogged fealty to Trump. Michael D’Antonio and Peter Eisner, the authors of the new book The Shadow President: The Truth About Mike Pence, call him a “toady.” George Will, the conservative columnist who’s openly rooting for a Democratic midterm sweep, calls Pence “America’s most repulsive public figure.” When Pence stands behind Trump, rotely nodding at the latest pearls of Trumpian wisdom, he sometimes conjures images of a bobblehead doll, the kind kids get for free at ballparks.

But there is a calculated method to his muteness. The era of vice-presidential irrelevance is long gone, John Nance Garner’s description of the job as “a bucket of warm spit” is veritably antique, and Pence is certainly a far more potent character than the first of Indiana’s five veeps, Schuyler Colfax, who was dumped by Ulysses S. Grant and ultimately dropped dead at a railroad station. Nobody knew who it was until someone searched the body for identification."

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

dislaxxic wrote:‘The race has tightened’: Cruz allies sound alarm about Texas Senate race

Sure would be a shock to see ol' "Lyin' Ted" go down out in Texas, huh?

this race will not even be close. The hype over Beto (aka The Border Guard Ken to Wendy Davis' Abortion Barbie) is being completely fueled by Hollywood and delusional folks who dream of "turning Texas blue". He will get more votes than he should because of all the Californians who have moved to Texas after ruining their state, but the guy is not going to win. Although he definitely fits the current prototypical democrat mold - young, attractive and stupid.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

dislaxxic wrote:mike-pence-and-his-talent-for-being-absent/569017/]Mike Pence and His Talent for Being Absent..
last time I checked, that was kind of the VP's job.....

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Clearly, you last checked while George W. "Shrub" Bush was the president. At least, reputedly... ;)

Bandito

Post by Bandito »

dislaxxic wrote:Clearly, you last checked while George W. "Shrub" Bush was the president. At least, reputedly... ;)

Quit monkeying around! :lol:
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

dislaxxic wrote:Clearly, you last checked while George W. "Shrub" Bush was the president. At least, reputedly... ;)

and see what happens when VP's hang around .... people get a rear end full of birdshot!! :shock:

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Speaking of VP's. Has there ever been a Presidential candidate, that lost, that has blamed or regretted their VP choice so publically, like McCain did?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote:Speaking of VP's. Has there ever been a Presidential candidate, that lost, that has blamed or regretted their VP choice so publically, like McCain did?
The part that really bugs me about his comment (RIP), you just do not do that. Think it...sure, tell your wife....sure, but publicly say it.....no effin way.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxman3221

Post by laxman3221 »

youthathletics wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:Speaking of VP's. Has there ever been a Presidential candidate, that lost, that has blamed or regretted their VP choice so publically, like McCain did?
The part that really bugs me about his comment (RIP), you just do not do that. Think it...sure, tell your wife....sure, but publicly say it.....no effin way.
The Ds embracing him make me LOL, the same ones that were saying vile stuff about him 10 years ago. He should have retired at the beginning of the year and let the voters pick a replacement. But, he was just in it for himself like most politicians.
Vail Shootout Champion 2017, 2018
Lake Placid Classic Champion 2018, 2019
Florida Lacrosse Classic Champion 2018 X2, 2019 x2
Who doesn't love ice cream!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote:
Note: John Kerry has been even more clear that he regrets having chosen John Edwards as his running mate. So, yes, "saying so publicly" is not that unusual when the choice indeed turns out to have been flawed. Palin was a mistake, pure and simple. Why? It was inauthentic and, thus, betrayed McCain's best instincts and his appeal. But it wasn't why McCain lost.

What I'm not sure I understand about the objection to "saying so publicly" is that many of those who object are those who claim to support Trump's lack of political correctness, saying his mind.

In the Kerry, and especially McCain, instances they are clearly telling the truth about what they believe, the heck with what might be politically expedient.

McCain's 'straight talk express' was always a core aspect of his appeal. The difference is that the truth actually mattered to him, and he was unafraid to admit his mistakes in retrospect.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MD,

Palin was a mistake, pure and simple. Why? It was inauthentic and, thus, betrayed McCain's best instincts and his appeal. But it wasn't why McCain lost.

McCain lost because Obama was a better candidate.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

laxman3221 wrote:

The Ds embracing him make me LOL, the same ones that were saying vile stuff about him 10 years ago. He should have retired at the beginning of the year and let the voters pick a replacement. But, he was just in it for himself like most politicians.

Vile stuff?

Just a reminder that it was your Republicans who called him "songbird", "RINO", some questioned his patriotism, another criticized him for refusing to support Trump in his effort to destroy ACA by saying, "that's OK since he's dying anyway", and then there's pathetic draft dodger bone spurs Trump who said he doesn't admire or honor those who have been captured in combat.

By contrast Joe Biden called him a "life long friend" and he was honored by fellow war hero John Kerry. I am not aware of any Dem who said he should step down. On the contrary they admired his stick-to-it attitude by remaining in office until the end.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote:
MD,

Palin was a mistake, pure and simple. Why? It was inauthentic and, thus, betrayed McCain's best instincts and his appeal. But it wasn't why McCain lost.

McCain lost because Obama was a better candidate.
I certainly agree that Obama was an excellent candidate, truly gifted orator and representing some of America's best aspirations, but I'm not so sure he'd have won in 2008 without the financial meltdown. His primary campaign cause, war fatigue, had been mitigated by the success of the surge. But the financial collapse was what really drove Dems to victory that year.

Had the economy been similar to where it had been a year prior, I think most pundits believe that Obama's lack of experience would have been a serious issue when compared to McCain's stature.

But that's history.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote:
laxman3221 wrote:

Vile stuff?

Just a reminder that it was your Republicans who called him "songbird", "RINO", some questioned his patriotism, another criticized him for refusing to support Trump in his effort to destroy ACA by saying, "that's OK since he's dying anyway", and then there's pathetic draft dodger bone spurs Trump who said he doesn't admire or honor those who have been captured in combat.

By contrast Joe Biden called him a "life long friend" and he was honored by fellow war hero John Kerry. I am not aware of any Dem who said he should step down. On the contrary they admired his stick-to-it attitude by remaining in office until the end.
I tend to agree with this view; certainly Dems went after the presidential candidate McCain, but I don't recall much that could be characterized as 'vile'. Certainly not from Obama.

In contrast, the garbage that's come from Trumpists has been really ugly.

On 'retiring at the beginning of the year', I don't understand how that would have benefited the nation. And that was his only aim.
laxman3221

Post by laxman3221 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
On 'retiring at the beginning of the year', I don't understand how that would have benefited the nation. And that was his only aim.
There would have been a 2nd senator from AZ to vote on legislation in 2018.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxman3221 wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
And you are positing that would have made a substantive difference these past months? One that would have benefited the nation, as McCain saw it?

Note that had McCain resigned all those months ago, that would have resulted in a special election or more likely a scheduled one for November, making there be two vulnerable R Arizona Senate seats this November instead of one. As it is, we're likely to see an R appointment and the election to replace won't occur until 2020.

Personally, I'd endorse Meghan to fill her dad's seat until 2020; same staff, seamless transition. Won't happen though as the Governor faces a November election himself and he's undoubtedly worried that R voters won't come out for him if he appoints anyone not 100% pledged to support Trump. It'd take an awful lot of political courage for the Governor to buck the base at this moment in time.
laxman3221

Post by laxman3221 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
laxman3221 wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
And you are positing that would have made a substantive difference these past months? One that would have benefited the nation, as McCain saw it?

Note that had McCain resigned all those months ago, that would have resulted in a special election or more likely a scheduled one for November, making there be two vulnerable R Arizona Senate seats this November instead of one. As it is, we're likely to see an R appointment and the election to replace won't occur until 2020.

Personally, I'd endorse Meghan to fill her dad's seat until 2020; same staff, seamless transition. Won't happen though as the Governor faces a November election himself and he's undoubtedly worried that R voters won't come out for him if he appoints anyone not 100% pledged to support Trump. It'd take an awful lot of political courage for the Governor to buck the base at this moment in time.
Sorry, the seat doesn't belong to the McCain family.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxman3221 wrote:
Sorry, the seat doesn't belong to the McCain family.
"Belong to"? Of course not.
But it's quite common for a governor to pass a temporary seat to a relative when the sitting Rep or Senator passes away. Closest thing to honoring the prior vote, being consistent with the voters' most recent choice. In this case, maverick R John McCain.

Cindy McCain has been under consideration; I'm simply a fan of Meghan's after yesterday's eulogy.

But I think that sort of choice may be nearly impossible in the present loyalty oath mindset of the Trumpist voters. Just look at your response 3221. All Trumpists care about is having someone loyal to Trump, not necessarily the nation (they are most definitely not synonymous!).

Can Ducey buck that or does he go with the present flow? Most pundits are predicting he's boxed in by his own election.

Return to “POLITICS”