Conservative Ideology: A Big Lie

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Conservative Ideology

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:04 pm
B. YOU are the one who is letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. No one---no one---has addressed our workforce problem related to immigration for 30+ years now. So the problem gets worse every year. That inflation folks are noticing? Or the lack of workers for jobs? This is all fruit from the same tree.
So stop doing the things that Trump did that were effective in limiting the numbers -- lift Title 42, stop "stay in Mexico" until hearing, stop erecting a portion of wall which was already paid for. Signal openness & welcoming. Streamilne the catch & release process making it quicker & less daunting to resettle anywhere in the US. Stop ICE pursuit of hearing no shows & enforcement of deportation orders. Stop ICE working with state & local law enforcement. President accuses CPB mounted officers of whipping migrants. Look at what Texas has had to do to continue the things CBP & ICE have been ordered to stop. They even lost a NG soldier trying to save a migrant from drowning. States & communities most impacted by lack of Federal enforcement are being forced to step in to protect their communities. Even Dem Senators like AZ's Mark Kelly are calling it out. Biden has lost control of our southern border.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:12 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:29 pm It's only been pushed by Tucker Carlson and Republican congresscritters. It's not like mainstream Republicans and their kids are being exposed to this on the regular, just another 'lone wolf' 'troubled mind'.

The shooter hated Fox News and never mentioned Tucker Carlson, in case you want to know what this is all really about.
LOL I never said he liked Fox or Tucker, but thanks for playing. :lol:

The point in mentioning Tucker, which you missed, is the Great Replacement Theory kind of stuff is all over Republican channels, and is even being parroted by one of their most popular media personalities. Of course it's pushed even more out on the fringe sites and media.

Republicans in Congress are pushing this theory, and tons of major names in right wing traditional and social media have been talking about this stuff for years. They're grooming impressionable young to get angry by exposing them to this kind of garbage and nonsense. They get it from their parents and various media echo chambers, leading to mass shootings like this one.

It's not fringe anymore, it's a mainstream Republican idea. Nearly half of Republicans think it's happening in some manner.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:49 pm So stop doing the things that Trump did that were effective in limiting the numbers -- lift Title 42, stop "stay in Mexico" until hearing, stop erecting a portion of wall which was already paid for. Signal openness & welcoming. Streamilne the catch & release process making it quicker & less daunting to resettle anywhere in the US. Stop ICE pursuit of hearing no shows & enforcement of deportation orders. Stop ICE working with state & local law enforcement.
Yep. Guess who's telling him to do that, OS? Or do you (snicker) think that Biden is some huggy-bear hippie who is doing these things on his ow volition?

Hint: the same people who told Trump to not turn on E Verify are the same people handing Biden this current policy.

Republicans had their chance to fix this problem. Four years. Did nothing. Why? Another hint: Trump's properties are depending on illegal workers. Trump, of all people, is just going to give you window dressing at the border, while ignoring the real problem(s). Stop falling for this game, OS.

Meet the consequences for not holding Trump and the Republicans accountable for ANYTHING, let alone fixing immigration or EVerify. And if anyone like me dared point out that Trump wasn't fixing doodly? You and the rest of FoxNation accuse me of having Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Steak dinner says that when the R's take back the White House in 2+ years, that they'll promise you that "this time, we'll fix immigration".

And you and I will be laughing over beers that yet again, the R's won't lift finger one to fix our immigration system.

I have no clue why you're not catching on.....
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:12 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:29 pm It's only been pushed by Tucker Carlson and Republican congresscritters. It's not like mainstream Republicans and their kids are being exposed to this on the regular, just another 'lone wolf' 'troubled mind'.
The shooter hated Fox News and never mentioned Tucker Carlson, in case you want to know what this is all really about.

The point in mentioning Tucker, which you missed, is the Great Replacement Theory kind of stuff is all over Republican channels, and is even being parroted by one of their most popular media personalities. Of course it's pushed even more out on the fringe sites and media.

Republicans in Congress are pushing this theory, and tons of major names in right wing traditional and social media have been talking about this stuff for years. They're grooming impressionable young to get angry by exposing them to this kind of garbage and nonsense. They get it from their parents and various media echo chambers, leading to mass shootings like this one.

It's not fringe anymore, it's a mainstream Republican idea. Nearly half of Republicans think it's happening in some manner.

I think it’s possible to debate the theory without being called a racist.

Right now our southern border is open, anyone gets in. There is no turning anyone back. This imo is dangerous for many reasons, but it’s more a problem that we never had a national conversation about it. We never collectively decided if this was something we wanted; it was simply a Democratic Party decision.

I’m not interested in the ‘replacement theory’ debates on race, but I am interested why the administration never sold to us the lack of border controls; shouldn’t the American taxpayer have had a say?
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 pm

Right now our southern border is open, anyone gets in. There is no turning anyone back. This imo is dangerous for many reasons, but it’s more a problem that we never had a national conversation about it. We never collectively decided if this was something we wanted; it was simply a Democratic Party decision.

I’m not interested in the ‘replacement theory’ debates on race, but I am interested why the administration never sold to us the lack of border controls; shouldn’t the American taxpayer have had a say?
More lies from Petey: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... e-trying-/
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:12 pm

More lies from Petey: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... e-trying-/

Politifact isn’t a reputable organization but let’s skip that.

2.8 million migrants entered the country illegally since the start of this presidency, about 1.2 million of whom were released into the US. And that number does not include the 700,000 who avoided apprehension.

So the border has some protection but clearly not like in the past, if we allow one of every two folks to remain.

We’ve allowed nearly 2 million illegal immigrants to enter. Is that sustainable? Maybe it is for all I know. It just seems very high.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Politifact may not be reputable in YOUR eyes, but most people don't find them disreputable, and they have won Pulitzer prizes for their work. The biggest criticism of their work is that they sometimes attempt to fact check things that cannot be fact checked so easily.

But here they are pointing to the FACT that the borders are NOT in fact "wide open" at all. Not everyone coming across the border is stopped (and that was quite well true under Trump) but the rate of interdictions has in fact increased at times by quite a bit (for example: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html).

And we know you like to "shoot the messenger" a whole lot when the true message contradicts your BS.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 pm We never collectively decided if this was something we wanted; it was simply a Democratic Party decision.
Oh....yes we did, Petey. Trump ran on immigration. And he won. The public was heard, loud and clear.

He claimed he'd fix our absurdly outdated immigration laws, and enforce all laws. And in particular, he bragged about FINALLY holding businesses accountable for hiring illegal workers, and that he'd turn on EVerify.

He didn't do ANY of these things, Pete. He, like every POTUS before him, played games with our laws and enforced SOME of the laws.

And yet you're here, whining about Biden, because Republican voters refuse to hold Republican leaders accountable for actually getting things done when they're in office.

This was Trump's MAIN campaign issue.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 pm We never collectively decided if this was something we wanted; it was simply a Democratic Party decision.
Oh....yes we did, Petey. Trump ran on immigration. And he won. The public was heard, loud and clear.

He claimed he'd fix our absurdly outdated immigration laws, and enforce all laws. And in particular, he bragged about FINALLY holding businesses accountable for hiring illegal workers, and that he'd turn on EVerify.

He didn't do ANY of these things, Pete. He, like every POTUS before him, played games with our laws and enforced SOME of the laws.

And yet you're here, whining about Biden, because Republican voters refuse to hold Republican leaders accountable for actually getting things done when they're in office.

This was Trump's MAIN campaign issue.

Why are you so hung up on Trump? Todays border crisis has nothing to do with him. Further, and this has been pointed out hundreds of times here, you can’t point to one poster at Fanlax (other than I suppose Essex who seems more of a pantomime than real) who is a full on Trumper. His weaknesses, character-wise and leadership-wise, aren’t things anyone here full-throated supports. In a head to head race with Hillary, he was *preferable* but not ideal. You act like the few non-leftists here ran the guy’s campaign! :lol:

Be that as it may, the border today is for all practical purposes an open door. That decision rests with the Democratic Party. I’m curious why we didn’t have a debate about it? For instance, are you as a supporter of the DNC content to let a million a year enter the southern border, and further to have really no real check afterward? I’d love to know what Democrats think. I believe this is yet another issue which will lead to Democrats losing almost every contested race this fall. Do you think otherwise?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Elect DeSantis President for Life campaign tripe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Nope, it's racist garbage.
The failure to recognize that reality tanks any reasonable discussion on how best to manage our immigration processes.

IMO, we should dramatically increase legal immigration, emphasizing a 1) combination of students staying in the US post grad degrees and other top grad degrees from around the world and 2) making it far easier/faster to apply for asylum and 3) far easier, for ID verified temporary worker program. I'm also in favor of Reagan-like amnesty for people who have been here 10 years or more, etc. and sign up through legal process. E-Verify ID for employment.

Channel the pressure at the border through legal processes, only reject those with serious criminal backgrounds or otherwise identified as Homeland Security threats and/or trying to come across outside the legal channel, re-channel if possible. But the legal processes need to be far faster and easier to access. Successful tenure within normal citizenship processes.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:20 am

The failure to recognize that reality tanks any reasonable discussion on how best to manage our immigration processes.

IMO, we should dramatically increase legal immigration, emphasizing a 1) combination of students staying in the US post grad degrees and other top grad degrees from around the world and 2) making it far easier/faster to apply for asylum and 3) far easier, for ID verified temporary worker program. I'm also in favor of Reagan-like amnesty for people who have been here 10 years or more, etc. and sign up through legal process. E-Verify ID for employment.

Channel the pressure at the border through legal processes, only reject those with serious criminal backgrounds or otherwise identified as Homeland Security threats and/or trying to come across outside the legal channel, re-channel if possible. But the legal processes need to be far faster and easier to access. Successful tenure within normal citizenship processes.

Like with a fan, I need to remind you that we’re not as far apart here as you seemingly believe. I actually support much of what you say.

But most of the southern border crossing folks don’t qualify like your post. These are mostly unskilled labor and young children. I’m not even suggesting they should all be turned back btw; I would just prefer we have a national consensus on the process and numbers, before changing things.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:48 am
... the border today is for all practical purposes an open door. That decision rests with the Democratic Party. I’m curious why we didn’t have a debate about it? For instance, are you as a supporter of the DNC content to let a million a year enter the southern border, and further to have really no real check afterward? I’d love to know what Democrats think. I believe this is yet another issue which will lead to Democrats losing almost every contested race this fall. Do you think otherwise?

Republican Sheriff Arpaio had no trouble with closing the border in Arizona even though his county is not on the actual border. Courts routinely upheld his actions. Therefore, it's up to Republican sheriffs and governors to close those doors to anyone entering though, as usual, it is very convenient to blame Democrats.

Of course, they will only stop Hispanics from entering and they will step aside as Afghanistanis and Ukrainians enter but, I suppose, that's another issue. ;)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:48 am Todays border crisis has nothing to do with him.
There is no crisis. And no one here cares about Fake Crisis #2034 that Republicans use to stay in office.

I don't care. Been hearing your team whine and whine and whine about it for 50 years. And every time your party gets voted in? They do NOTHING to fix the fake problem.

So....obviously, it ain't a problem. Not even a minor one. If it was? Your team would get off their ass*s and (horrors) pass legislation that fixes the problem.

Oh, and enforce our existing laws. Can't have that, now can we? Holding big businesses accountable for following laws is obviously a no-no if you're in the Republican party.

But sure, vote Republican, right Pete? It wouldn't be an election if your team didn't pretend that "this time" they're REALLY gonna "do something".

And I'll be here, placing wagers for you, just as I did Old Salt, who was convinced that Trump would "fix the problem". Whoops. Nope.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 am Like with a fan, I need to remind you that we’re not as far apart here as you seemingly believe. I actually support much of what you say.
Yes, we are. Just like the majority of Republican voters, you're overjoyed to trade "sticking it to the libs' and fake cultural wars...for actual conservative governance.

So that's what we get: mean tweets to pointless celebrities, while Trump makes government 60% bigger...and borrows every cent to do it.

YOU are why the Republican party hasn't passed one single major bill that helps flyover America in over 20 years and counting.

They're giving you what you ask for....and ignore REAL conservative governance. The party is lost.

But yeah, you sure showed the gays and women with unwanted pregnancies who's boss, Pete. Way to go.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 am Like with a fan, I need to remind you that we’re not as far apart here as you seemingly believe. I actually support much of what you say.
Yes, we are. Just like the majority of Republican voters, you're overjoyed to trade "sticking it to the libs' and fake cultural wars...for actual conservative governance.

So that's what we get: mean tweets to pointless celebrities, while Trump makes government 60% bigger...and borrows every cent to do it.

YOU are why the Republican party hasn't passed one single major bill that helps flyover America in over 20 years and counting.

They're giving you what you ask for....and ignore REAL conservative governance. The party is lost.

But yeah, you sure showed the gays and women with unwanted pregnancies who's boss, Pete. Way to go.

Relax, Francis. Americans can get along.

And yes, we’re not far apart, at least what MD wrote and what I support. And as I repeat often, Desantis is a generational politician. Trump was an accidental tourist. I think we are beginning to see a new Republican Party, one about to enjoy a record margin of seats in November.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:20 am

Like with a fan, I need to remind you that we’re not as far apart here as you seemingly believe. I actually support much of what you say.

But most of the southern border crossing folks don’t qualify like your post. These are mostly unskilled labor and young children. I’m not even suggesting they should all be turned back btw; I would just prefer we have a national consensus on the process and numbers, before changing things.
mmmm, I don't have an issue with "unskilled labor" much less "children". If they are fleeing horrible situations, then I want them definitely on track for legal citizenship, and if not, I want an easy temporary worker program.

"Unskilled" may well, indeed is likely, to be very willing to learn skills needed in various parts of our economy and to be supportive of their children learning much more. "hungry" to work is not a bad thing for our overall economic vitality.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:46 pm

And yes, we’re not far apart, at least what MD wrote and what I support. And as I repeat often, Desantis is a generational politician. Trump was an accidental tourist. I think we are beginning to see a new Republican Party, one about to enjoy a record margin of seats in November.
Nope, there's going to be a swing this November, but the pendulum is going to swing back due to the culture war overreach and the general willingness to outright lie that has overtaken, this GOP.

DeSantis personifies this culture overreach.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

:lol: Says the Francis who has railed against what you think are Americans who are "not normal" for years here.
They're gonna pump you full of fake issues. All while they borrow more, and make government bigger, all while cutting my taxes.

Same as they've done for over 20 years now, Pete. DeSantis is Trump-lite. Fewer calories, but the same blowhard who won't get anything done.
Last edited by a fan on Thu May 19, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”