All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: All Things Environment

Post by jhu72 »

More flooding. West Virginia and eastern Kentucky will be basket cases for years to come, with the worst by far further devastating coal country.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Humans are done.

“Darren Woods, said on an earnings call last month, speaking about the Inflation Reduction Act. He called the bill, now making its way through the US Congress, “clear and consistent”. After it passed the Senate Sunday evening, Shell USA said it was “a step toward increased energy security and #netzero”. The world is currently on track to produce double the amount of coal, oil and gas in 2030 than is consistent with capping warming at 1.5C. To state the obvious: climate policy should strike fear into the hearts of fossil fuel executives, not delight them. So what have some of the world’s worst polluters found to like about a historic piece of climate legislation?”

Yeah, “consistently” stupid and destructive to the last lifeboat…

Keep voting for the GOP “at your peril”. Lax2000, rhis is how the expression should be used.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -companies
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:57 pm More flooding. West Virginia and eastern Kentucky will be basket cases for years to come, with the worst by far further devastating coal country.
WV is toast until Justice is gonzo.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 am
jhu72 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:57 pm More flooding. West Virginia and eastern Kentucky will be basket cases for years to come, with the worst by far further devastating coal country.
Nah, just toast. Topography and poor building site locations will kill a lot of people. Not just WV. Need to stop thinking that the historical statistics used in planning and civil engineering are relevant.

Here’s a perfect example everyone should understand. How big are you downspouts for your gutters and what is the basis for that calculation? Bet they are undersized given the new precipitation rates observed.

Now take that error and increase by several orders of magnitude.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:29 am
Nah, just toast. Topography and poor building site locations will kill a lot of people. Not just WV. Need to stop thinking that the historical statistics used in planning and civil engineering are relevant.

Here’s a perfect example everyone should understand. How big are you downspouts for your gutters and what is the basis for that calculation? Bet they are undersized given the new precipitation rates observed.

I need new gutters. Priced out a whole new set of windows for the newer ones not replacing my 100yr old wood framed ones, and it was around $30k. 2,400sq Ft home (built in 1911 so working in efficiency beat we can within a budget for a home that’s got what might seem like a big price tag to some today but would be just a good school district in the city but otherwise a general middle class type hood within a healthy growing metropolitan city).

As far is civil engineering. I’ll never understand why office buildings with above or below ground paring decks have tighter striping than in more dense areas like NYc/Boston and lower clearance heights. You’d think both air rights and general sprawl of Atlanta would mean these buildings and related would have more space not less.

Topography comment is interesting. I always felt like rebuilding New Orleans and the nearby parishes after Katrina was a hint waste based on what I understood about flood risks there. Swampy as heck too, was out in some of the burbs looking at a portfolio of self storage properties last fall and felt like it was still flooded.
See Martin, Malcolm
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:56 am

I need new gutters. Priced out a whole new set of windows for the newer ones not replacing my 100yr old wood framed ones, and it was around $30k. 2,400sq Ft home (built in 1911 so working in efficiency beat we can within a budget for a home that’s got what might seem like a big price tag to some today but would be just a good school district in the city but otherwise a general middle class type hood within a healthy growing metropolitan city).

As far is civil engineering. I’ll never understand why office buildings with above or below ground paring decks have tighter striping than in more dense areas like NYc/Boston and lower clearance heights. You’d think both air rights and general sprawl of Atlanta would mean these buildings and related would have more space not less.

Topography comment is interesting. I always felt like rebuilding New Orleans and the nearby parishes after Katrina was a hint waste based on what I understood about flood risks there. Swampy as heck too, was out in some of the burbs looking at a portfolio of self storage properties last fall and felt like it was still flooded.
Did you try and contact the craftsmen at This Old House?? We put new gutters on our house 5 years ago. That included replacing rotting facia boards as needed. If your downspouts are directing water runoff away from your foundation, I'm guessing in Atlanta you have no basement, you will be good to go. I'm also guessing your estimate includes some sort of gutter helmet system.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Use this to check their work. And the real question is have the max precip numbers been updated?

Look at the drop down selections for rain and drainage: 10 and 100 year. Ruh roh.

http://apps.smacna.org/dsgcal/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:09 am

Did you try and contact the craftsmen at This Old House?? We put new gutters on our house 5 years ago. That included replacing rotting facia boards as needed. If your downspouts are directing water runoff away from your foundation, I'm guessing in Atlanta you have no basement, you will be good to go. I'm also guessing your estimate includes some sort of gutter helmet system.
Gutters were priced separately I have them covering about 2/3 of roofline currently but a couple of bad spots. No basement just crawl space. The quote was all in, National brand. Let the guy do his “coffee is for closers pitch” but we weren’t doing anything that day and their greensky backed financing option is trash. Interestingly they were offering a “sign contract today only” discount that was north of 10% which tells me this will be cheaper in six months and I can wait.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:16 am

Use this to check their work. And the real question is have the max precip numbers been updated?

Look at the drop down selections for rain and drainage: 10 and 100 year. Ruh roh.

No idea but I do have drainage issues these days in my backyard that’s ruining my lawn (and impacting my back fence) on a fairly modest grade, feels flat when we play sports on it.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

No idea but I do have drainage issues these days in my backyard that’s ruining my lawn (and impacting my back fence) on a fairly modest grade, feels flat when we play sports on it.
See Martin, Malcolm
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:35 am

Are your neighbor’s lots higher than yours? Is your house ( and development) built in a flood plain?

https://nap.nationalacademies.org/resou ... _final.pdf

Depending the answers to those questions, moving might be your best bet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:53 am

Are your neighbor’s lots higher than yours? Is your house ( and development) built in a flood plain?

Outside of 100yr flood plain and at crest of a street that starts lower and elevates peaking around my house mid block then more or less flattening out running (lowest) north to south basically (front of house faces East, Back faces west). So lot is flat in front and slopes to back but my driveway crests as well before sloping downward as well towards backyard (driveway on north side of home or to the right of the house). So the drainage runs down driveway and Funnels down backyard towards fence to neighbor behind me. It also pools in tow spots for some reason and we pay for regular service on the lawn so the bald spots are frustrating.

Out block was developed long ago but seeing some nearby lot subdivisions I suddenly actually pay attention to drainage, always felt it was a tool used by anti development folks as a blunt instrument to stall building but at least around my hood which isn’t high elevations but lots of undulating streets it may be a around consideration.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pulled up a map and nothing on my block there’s a 500yr zone about 6-8 blocks away which doesn’t surprise me as it’s the only land other than the large public park in the area that isn’t developed.
See Martin, Malcolm
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:15 pm

Pulled up a map and nothing on my block there’s a 500yr zone about 6-8 blocks away which doesn’t surprise me as it’s the only land other than the large public park in the area that isn’t developed.
And a 500 year flood under old “reality” is now much more likely. Good news is you can play “begfar your neighbor by diverting water to them. Might be some legal issues though.

Did you read link.I sent? Those flood maps are probably suspect.

Use the site below and check some elevations.

https://geodesy.noaa.gov/NGSDataExplorer/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:22 pm

And a 500 year flood under old “reality” is now much more likely. Good news is you can play “begfar your neighbor by diverting water to them. Might be some legal issues though.

Looked at the one link in my phone but wasn’t clear. Had then pulled a fema map as the noaa map doesn’t work well on a phone
See Martin, Malcolm
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:22 pm

Looked at the one link in my phone but wasn’t clear. Had then pulled a fema map as the noaa map doesn’t work well on a phone
Try one of these.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/measure- ... martphone/

Or myAltitude if you have an iPhone. Not useful for surveying (limited by accuracy of GPS).
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“As built” infrastructure is filled with assumptions about meteorological consistency. Great until its not…

“A drought that scientists say is part of the U.S. West’s driest period in 1,200 years plus sea level rise are exposing the fragility of that system, forcing state water managers, cities, and farmers to look for new ways to stabilize their supply of fresh water. The Delta’s challenges offer a harbinger of the risks to come for critical water supplies elsewhere in the nation amid a changing climate.”

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-cali ... 0bf3b2c4d4
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:05 am Humans are done.

“Darren Woods, said on an earnings call last month, speaking about the Inflation Reduction Act. He called the bill, now making its way through the US Congress, “clear and consistent”. After it passed the Senate Sunday evening, Shell USA said it was “a step toward increased energy security and #netzero”. The world is currently on track to produce double the amount of coal, oil and gas in 2030 than is consistent with capping warming at 1.5C. To state the obvious: climate policy should strike fear into the hearts of fossil fuel executives, not delight them. So what have some of the world’s worst polluters found to like about a historic piece of climate legislation?”

Keep voting for the GOP “at your peril”. Lax2000, rhis is how the expression should be used.

... I am not sure humans are done. Certainly the world's very poor and very stupid are done.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:38 pm

... I am not sure humans are done. Certainly the world's very poor and very stupid are done.
So we will be free of the Magats?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:26 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:38 pm

So we will be free of the Magats?
... statistically you could certainly reach that conclusion.

Return to “POLITICS”