Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:01 pm
FarFromGeneva,

the Justice Department did not secure an indictment against bin Laden until 1998

When did OBL leave Sudan?
https://www.bing.com/search?q=when+did+ ... A1&PC=EE04 = 1996

According to your post, OBL was indicted TWO years after he left Sudan. He had not been a wanted criminal at that time because he did not admit to causing the initial WTC attack until 1998. Therefore, the story that Sudan offered OBL on a silver platter is totally without basis as up to 1996 he had not been a wanted political criminal.
That was your fact-check link bro
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:10 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:48 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:14 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:18 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:35 pm Syria offered Bin Laden to Clinton on a silver platter in the mid 90s. We could’ve had him and probably a stronger relationship w Syria today, net the lost lives and dough from 9/11…

We've gone over this myth many times before on LP. Khartoum (not Syria) did not offer OBL on a silver platter as alleged by right wing propagandists as he was not on a MOST WANTED list at the time:

https://www.factcheck.org/2008/01/clint ... bin-laden/
Interesting the way you describe it isn't exactly what I read here, nor that Factcheck changed their own postiion within a short period of time. Funny what you call facts. It always errs on the side that's anti Jerusalem it would seem. Really hanging on trusting the words of Clinton and his people who are known to in fact have lied on numerous topics (as do many subsequent on both sides, but you again choose who to believe based on their own words as much as primary source information from third parties).

And who said anything about him being on the most wanted list. You just threw that in there why? Because it's clear our president considered him pretty wanted at the time, perhaps there's a unofficial list that's more important to our leaders? The fact his people think Clinton wanted another coutnry to execute him says a lot. He retracted his prior statements but let's just believe whatever he says right?

Just the way you state things drives me crazy as it's embedded with supposition and opinion and stated as matter of fact regularly but demand more credibility while trashing and using crazy name calling like Peter Brown level stuff.

A: Probably not, and it would not have mattered anyway as there was no evidence at the time that bin Laden had committed any crimes against American citizens.

Let’s start with what everyone agrees on: In April 1996, Osama bin Laden was an official guest of the radical Islamic government of Sudan – a government that had been implicated in the attacks on the World Trade Center in 1993. By 1996, with the international community treating Sudan as a pariah, the Sudanese government attempted to patch its relations with the United States. At a secret meeting in a Rosslyn, Va., hotel, the Sudanese minister of state for defense, Maj. Gen. Elfatih Erwa, met with CIA operatives, where, among other things, they discussed Osama bin Laden.

It is here that things get murky. Erwa claims that he offered to hand bin Laden over to the United States. Key American players – President Bill Clinton, then-National Security Adviser Sandy Berger and Director of Counterterrorism Richard Clarke among them – have testified there were no "credible offers" to hand over bin Laden. The 9/11 Commission found "no credible evidence" that Erwa had ever made such an offer. On the other hand, Lawrence Wright, in his Pulitzer Prize-winning "The Looming Tower," flatly states that Sudan did make such an offer. Wright bases his judgment on an interview with Erwa and notes that those who most prominently deny Erwa’s claims were not in fact present for the meeting.

Wright and the 9/11 Commission do agree that the Clinton administration encouraged Sudan to deport bin Laden back to Saudi Arabia and spent 10 weeks trying to convince the Saudi government to accept him. One Clinton security official told The Washington Post that they had "a fantasy" that the Saudi government would quietly execute bin Laden. When the Saudis refused bin Laden’s return, Clinton officials convinced the Sudanese simply to expel him, hoping that the move would at least disrupt bin Laden’s activities.

Much of the controversy stems from claims that President Clinton made in a February 2002 speech and then retracted in his 2004 testimony to the 9/11 Commission. In the 2002 speech Clinton seems to admit that the Sudanese government offered to turn over bin Laden:

Clinton: So we tried to be quite aggressive with them [al Qaeda]. We got – well, Mr. bin Laden used to live in Sudan. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia in 1991, then he went to Sudan. And we’d been hearing that the Sudanese wanted America to start dealing with them again. They released him. At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America, so I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America. So I pleaded with the Saudis to take him, ’cause they could have. But they thought it was a hot potato and they didn’t and that’s how he wound up in Afghanistan.

Clinton later claimed to have misspoken and stated that there had never been an offer to turn over bin Laden. It is clear, however, that Berger, at least, did consider the possibility of bringing bin Laden to the U.S., but, as he told The Washington Post in 2001, "The FBI did not believe we had enough evidence to indict bin Laden at that time, and therefore opposed bringing him to the United States." According to NewsMax.com, Berger later emphasized in an interview with WABC Radio that, while administration officials had discussed whether or not they had ample evidence to indict bin Laden, that decision "was not pursuant to an offer by the Sudanese."

So on one side, we have Clinton administration officials who say that there were no credible offers on the table, and on the other, we have claims by a Sudanese government that was (and still is) listed as an official state sponsor of terrorism. It’s possible, of course, that both sides are telling the truth: It could be that Erwa did make an offer, but the offer was completely disingenuous. What is clear is that the 9/11 Commission report totally discounts the Sudanese claims. Unless further evidence arises, that has to be the final word.

Ultimately, however, it doesn’t matter. What is not in dispute at all is the fact that, in early 1996, American officials regarded Osama bin Laden as a financier of terrorism and not as a mastermind largely because, at the time, there was no real evidence that bin Laden had harmed American citizens. So even if the Sudanese government really did offer to hand bin Laden over, the U.S. would have had no grounds for detaining him. In fact, the Justice Department did not secure an indictment against bin Laden until 1998 – at which point Clinton did order a cruise missile attack on an al Qaeda camp in an attempt to kill bin Laden.

We have to be careful about engaging in what historians call "Whig history," which is the practice of assuming that historical figures value exactly the same things that we do today. It’s a fancy term for those "why didn’t someone just shoot Hitler in 1930?" questions that one hears in dorm-room bull sessions. The answer, of course, is that no one knew quite how bad Hitler was in 1930. The same is true of bin Laden in 1996.

Correction: We originally answered this question with a flat ‘yes’ early this week, based on the account in "The Looming Tower," but an alert reader pointed out to us the more tangled history laid out in the 9/11 Commission report. We said flatly that Sudan had made such an offer. We have deleted our original answer and are posting this corrected version in its place.

– Joe Miller

real slam dunk proof there!
Kill em all. It is better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. By kill em all I am talking about terrorists.
You’re talking about Texas right?

Texas Shooting Injures 4 at Timberview High School
Just to be clear on the Texas shooting, a fight broke out within the school and a student opened fire during it. Just giving the facts, doesn't make it better or worse. Was not an instance of student showing up to school with an intent to cause mass casualties. Gun should never make it pass the front entrance's of the school, especially in an inner-city HS with a higher prevalence of violence of these events occurring. :twisted:

Joe
The sad part is when i was in HS back in the seventies my HS did not resemble a minimum security prison. Who would have ever thought 40/50 years ago we would need metal detectors in our schools? HS kids never brought guns to school, we were not raised with that kind of mentality. All of the guns my dad owned were always locked in a gun cabinet.
Guns are for pu**ies. This is how we rolled back in my day, the 90s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h6FZMJJSDJ0
See Martin, Malcolm
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:53 am
Nevertheless, his Chief of Staff Kash Patel was EXTREMELY POLITICAL(and inserted when DOPUS canned Esper - don't think Miller got a vote on that either) and,incidentally, has been subpoenaed by the House Select Committee about his activities around the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol.

Miller created delays in transitional briefings claiming an agreement with the Biden people on a holiday pause which they say didn't happen and there was no discussion nor agreement on such a pause. Of course not as the transition had already been delayed prior.

But move along....nothing to see here. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: ...that's all ya got ? Incoming & outgoing bureaucrats quibbling over when to not work on Fed holidays over Xmas, when the changeover was not until Jan 20. :roll:

I look forward to Patel's testimony. It should be interesting.
https://nypost.com/2021/09/27/trump-all ... -subpoena/
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:09 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:11 am In theory (actually in propaganda) we marched into Afghanistan to get a wanted international criminal in OBL. Indeed, the record shows he wasn't in that country but had fled to Pakistan. Therefore, the USA had no valid reason to invade or to stay there.
Brookie---what kind of reasoning is this? We didn't know where OBL was. We invaded where we reasonably thought he was.

And we were attacked, my man. If you don't think we have a right to defend ourselves, that's a new political ideology that I've never heard of to date.
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:11 am I share in the concern over this matter. Since there was no possible justification for the criminal actions of this war of imperialistic terrorism, it is now time for the invaders to pay reparations for the depredations imposed upon Afghanistan and its people. Again, if right wingers were as principled as they claim to be and if they were practitioners of moral Christianity, they would be the first ones to demand that Bush and his cabal of colonialists pay those reparations.
We've been shipping cash there for decades, Brook. That cash has propped up the corrupt leaders this whole time...and you're telling me you want to give these leaders MORE money? Well have no fear.....Biden will keep sending them money, like always.

Boy, do I disagree with that idea.
OBL did not escape to Pakistan until well after we invaded. Remember Tora Bora.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 pm
FarFromGeneva,

the Justice Department did not secure an indictment against bin Laden until 1998

According to your post, OBL was indicted TWO years after he left Sudan. He had not been a wanted criminal at that time because he did not admit to causing the initial WTC attack until 1998. Therefore, the story that Sudan offered OBL on a silver platter is totally without basis as up to 1996 he had not been a wanted political criminal.

Which you quoted and could not refute.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:35 pm Syria offered Bin Laden to Clinton on a silver platter in the mid 90s. We could’ve had him and probably a stronger relationship w Syria today, net the lost lives and dough from 9/11…
I believe that was Sudan.
Jeb Bush: Bill Clinton's administration 'made a mistake' not ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com › news › 2015/10/20
Oct 20, 2015 — The 9/11 Commission stated in 2004 that "former Sudanese officials claim that Sudan offered to expel bin Laden to the United States. Clinton ...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 pm
FarFromGeneva,

Which you quoted and could not refute.
Sure ignore evertything else and ignore your prior slam dunk comments.

the clown games people play here....
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:12 pm
I believe that was Sudan.
Jeb Bush: Bill Clinton's administration 'made a mistake' not ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com › news › 2015/10/20
Oct 20, 2015 — The 9/11 Commission stated in 2004 that "former Sudanese officials claim that Sudan offered to expel bin Laden to the United States. Clinton ...
Yes mistype/speak but well covered after this.
See Martin, Malcolm
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:05 pm
Nevertheless, his Chief of Staff Kash Patel was EXTREMELY POLITICAL(and inserted when DOPUS canned Esper - don't think Miller got a vote on that either) and,incidentally, has been subpoenaed by the House Select Committee about his activities around the January 6 insurrection at the Capitol.

Miller created delays in transitional briefings claiming an agreement with the Biden people on a holiday pause which they say didn't happen and there was no discussion nor agreement on such a pause. Of course not as the transition had already been delayed prior.

:lol: ...that's all ya got ? Incoming & outgoing bureaucrats quibbling over when to not work on Fed holidays over Xmas, when the changeover was not until Jan 20. :roll:

Yup, put all these Trumpists under oath.

Patel was a full-on Trumpist tool, so it'll be interesting for sure...let's see the documents, the phone logs, etc...

And that's all you've got, Salty?
Just one more middle finger move by the Trumpist crew to any sense of putting America's interests first and foremost, so 'nothing to see here' that we haven't seen dozens and dozens of times before?

Seriously, this was totally unprecedented obstruction.
For you to make light of it just shows one more time how far down the Trumpist apologia rathole you've fallen.

The hate mail is truly gross and should be prosecuted if they can track it down.
But here's a wild-eyed speculation, do we really know that these were from numb nut liberals...sure doesn't fit the pattern.

Reminds me a bit of the neighbor who wanted to buy the house and property next door to him, but wanted to knock down the price...went into the empty house and painted graffiti as if some kids or a gang might have done it; this was post 2000...peace symbols and swastikas...

We were looking at the house along with lots of other prospective buyers...we knew about the neighbor...they could not pin it on him, but it was obvious it wasn't kids.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:03 pm
Miller is also calling Milley a liar, claiming he and Esper didn't sign off on Milley's calls with China...I think he has zero credibility and is clearly immensely political. Another Flynn whack job?
:lol: ...Miller did not need to sign off. It was within Milley's authority. Miller thought nothing of it :
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/1 ... say-511918
In an interview Wednesday, Miller told POLITICO that Milley almost certainly told him he was going to call his Chinese counterpart, but he didn’t recall getting a detailed readout of the call after.

“Looking back, I imagine there was a perfunctory exchange between us and our staffs about coordinating phone calls and messages for the day,” he said. “I don’t recall the specifics and it certainly wasn’t in a detailed or more formal way. It was more perfunctory/routine.”

What a crock that he was nonpolitical because we'd never heard of him...not hearing from him has nothing to do with how much of a political partisan, and Trumpist, he appears to have actually been. Salty ignores that of course Trump and his team would have known exactly where Miller's sentiments lay before bringing him up to an Acting Sec Def position, for which he could have never been Senate approved.

And it's total BS that the Biden people were perfectly cool with not getting briefed as per every other change of power transition process. They were livid. Which led to some hand waving, non detailed briefings in the last days, totally inadequate.

And that was ALL Miller, though presumably at the behest of Trump or to please Trump.
Partisan political whining. Miller was SecDef. It was his call to make. He wasn't going to turn DoD upside down & ignore more pressing emerging issues to cater to the transition teams unreasonable demands.

Salty, I don't know whether Miller took the job so as to overthrow the election, (read your previous posts) I don't know his personal motives, but it's pretty clear he was more than willing to play ball and the Trump crew knew that...and we really do know that they were preparing for DOJ to give cover, despite knowing that there was no actual fraud that would justify such. We know this to be true, horrifyingly true.
Miller was DoD not DoJ. The House had their shot at acting AG Rosen the same day they heard Miller. You didn't even notice.

and no, Miller didn't get Trump to rescind, Milley gave him and Patel an ultimatum that he was headed to the White House to confront the order, they could join him or not. O'Brien didn't even know and he and Milley raised a stink...but it was Milley who blew the whistle and had it rescinded, not Miller.As CJCS Gen Milley had direct access to the CinC to give him unfiltered military advice. Gen Milley gave SecDef Miller a heads up. Miller did not object or intercede, signalling that he concurred.

Thank god there were a few, though only a few, who were prepared to stand up to the coup attempt and had sufficient clout.Read what Miller said in his statement to Congress about the use of military forces within the US & how they guided him on Jan 6. Completely in lock step with Esper & Milley.

And yes, we need to know exactly what the military and Miller specifically knew and when did they know it, and how did they react on and before Jan 6. Done. Watch Miller's testimony before Congress. It's on CSPAN. He had nothing to hide. The reps spent their time making speeches about how traumatic Jan 6 was to them personally. Most of their questions were directed at the acting AG & DC police chief. Miller gave brief, straightforward answers to all questions. They did not lay a glove on him & some appeared unhinged (e.g. Quigley)

IMO, Miller sees this personal sh-tstorm coming and he's throwing as much poop around the room as he can. And of course, you're buying his BS.
:lol: Congress already had their shot at Miller. You're the only one throwing poop with your deranged accusations.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:43 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:05 pm

Yup, put all these Trumpists under oath.

Patel was a full-on Trumpist tool, so it'll be interesting for sure...let's see the documents, the phone logs, etc...

And that's all you've got, Salty?
Just one more middle finger move by the Trumpist crew to any sense of putting America's interests first and foremost, so 'nothing to see here' that we haven't seen dozens and dozens of times before?

Seriously, this was totally unprecedented obstruction.
For you to make light of it just shows one more time how far down the Trumpist apologia rathole you've fallen.

The hate mail is truly gross and should be prosecuted if they can track it down.
But here's a wild-eyed speculation, do we really know that these were from numb nut liberals...sure doesn't fit the pattern.

Reminds me a bit of the neighbor who wanted to buy the house and property next door to him, but wanted to knock down the price...went into the empty house and painted graffiti as if some kids or a gang might have done it; this was post 2000...peace symbols and swastikas...

We were looking at the house along with lots of other prospective buyers...we knew about the neighbor...they could not pin it on him, but it was obvious it wasn't kids.
Get a grip. I'm looking forward to hearing from Patel. The msm is afraid to interview him or give him airtime. Bannon should be hugely entertaining. The hate mail follows the pattern of Sinema's bathroom stalker & Manchin's kayak flotilla harassers. Look what the crazies did to Steve Scalise & Rand Paul. Yet the domestic terrorists are at school board meetings.

Listen to the clown Rep Quigley @ 04:31;00. You lost. Where's the f-ing cavalry ? :lol: your Congress at work.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?511644-1/ ... tol-attack
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 pm Sure ignore evertything else and ignore your prior slam dunk comments.

Yeah, right. :roll:

You must understand that there MUST be some evidence before anyone can be arrested or charged with a crime. You cannot go by mere rumors. That is the law. Right wing hero Bush told the world that a war against Iraq was necessary in order to save humanity from an impending nuclear attack. He did not have so much as a shred of evidence for this ridiculous claim nor did he attempt to present any. As shown in the Downing Street Memo none existed. The result was a disastrous war that generated billions in war profits for his treasonous pals with a tremendous and unnecessary bill that taxpayers have to pay. Compare that with how the OBL situation was handled. The myth that "his head was offered on a silver platter" is absolute crap. There was no evidence against him for the initial WTC attack in 1996. Sudan could not have detained him nor surrendered him to Interpol or the CIA as there was no American or international warrant for his arrest. It was only in 1998 (two years after he left Sudan) that he openly admitted to his evil role in that attack. By then it was too late to arrest him as he was hiding in Afghanistan.

Interpol warrants issued in March, 1998: https://vault.fbi.gov/osama-bin-laden/O ... %2003/view

The USA issued warrants for his arrest in June, 1998. Had any evidence been available before March, 1996 to prove OBL's role in the 1993 WTC attack the government could have issued a warrant. Thereafter the Khartoum regime could have arrested OBL and surrendered him to Washington DC. This may well have averted future problems. Of course, had Washington DC cooperated with the Taliban and adhered top its demands, OBL could have been detained and surrendered some time in 1998. Problem solved.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:39 am
You must understand that there MUST be some evidence before anyone can be arrested or charged with a crime. You cannot go by mere rumors. That is the law.
Curious, did you just learn this?

If not for double standards, you'd have no standards at all.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 pm Sure ignore evertything else and ignore your prior slam dunk comments.

You must understand that there MUST be some evidence before anyone can be arrested or charged with a crime. You cannot go by mere rumors. That is the law. Right wing hero Bush told the world that a war against Iraq was necessary in order to save humanity from an impending nuclear attack. He did not have so much as a shred of evidence for this ridiculous claim nor did he attempt to present any. As shown in the Downing Street Memo none existed. The result was a disastrous war that generated billions in war profits for his treasonous pals with a tremendous and unnecessary bill that taxpayers have to pay. Compare that with how the OBL situation was handled. The myth that "his head was offered on a silver platter" is absolute crap. There was no evidence against him for the initial WTC attack in 1996. Sudan could not have detained him nor surrendered him to Interpol or the CIA as there was no American or international warrant for his arrest. It was only in 1998 (two years after he left Sudan) that he openly admitted to his evil role in that attack. By then it was too late to arrest him as he was hiding in Afghanistan.

Interpol warrants issued in March, 1998: https://vault.fbi.gov/osama-bin-laden/O ... %2003/view

The USA issued warrants for his arrest in June, 1998. Had any evidence been available before March, 1996 to prove OBL's role in the 1993 WTC attack the government could have issued a warrant. Thereafter the Khartoum regime could have arrested OBL and surrendered him to Washington DC. This may well have averted future problems. Of course, had Washington DC cooperated with the Taliban and adhered top its demands, OBL could have been detained and surrendered some time in 1998. Problem solved.
But it's cool to proactively look to get him in the hands of another sovereign to have him executed for our benefit??? Give me a break if you think the distinction makes it a difference.
See Martin, Malcolm
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 am
You must understand that there MUST be some evidence before anyone can be arrested or charged with a crime. You cannot go by mere rumors. That is the law.

+ 1 the blimp floats aimlessly in space with no destination in sight. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

By the way you moved the goalposts after rejecting my initial comment. I ignored that but it’s a fact.
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 am

Coming from a Republican, those words are incredibly ironic. :lol:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:28 am

+ 1 the blimp floats aimlessly in space with no destination in sight. :D

lol - the one who claims he ignores my posts and knows nothing about them :lol:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:01 am
But it's cool to proactively look to get him in the hands of another sovereign to have him executed for our benefit??? Give me a break if you think the distinction makes it a difference.

The Saudis hated him as much as did Washington, DC. OBL could easily have been detained by that government and then surrendered to the USA. Problem solved. But, of course, a war is more profitable and convenient for wealthy elitists while giving a great many talking points for war apologists. And let's not forget that Saddam was employed as a surrogate to fight Iran a few years before all that took place.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Australians view on this topic:

https://www.facebook.com/thejuicemedia/ ... 021916979/

Touche'!

Return to “POLITICS”