January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:16 pm I think the reaction to your post was the equivalency that it implied.
you are projecting my meaning.

I am not talking about the separate topic of voter access and attempts at voter suppression (btw the most pernicious of which is both parties love affair with gerrymandering).

I am talking about the Dems response to the accusations of fraud by Trump and his supporters. Rather than address the accusations (in what could have been a very simple and productive way) they turned accusations of voting irregularity into counter-accusations of this being right-wing nutjobs who don't need to be listened to because they are always attempting voter suppression...

And to be clear, I am not arguing that they weren't right-wing nutjobs. I am arguing that the better response would have been: "let me show all the ways our elections are secure, and lets discuss any reasonable suggestions for making them more so". No matter how good we think we are doing, there is always room for improvement.

To afan's regular comment on absentee ballots - I agree with his (perhaps facetious) position that we should get rig of them. Instead, we certainly have the technological capability to facilitate online voting booths for our military. That solution would eliminate the delays in counting ballots, reduce/eliminate lost ballots, and be far more efficient in general.
Always a risk of projecting; I was simply explaining why I thought it most likely that you were getting that particular response.

It certainly seemed to be that you were suggesting equivalency in the "screaming and wailing"...I don't think they were remotely equivalent, both in their intensity and in their justifications.

I don't think the Dems were primarily reacting to the voter fraud thing with accusation of the GOP as "racist neanderthals" (though that accusation, for at least some, actually has merit, given that it certainly wasn't coincidence that Trump and his allies kept pointing solely to counties where black and brown people live in higher proportion more than areas where they are low...). But that definitely wasn't the primary response, not by the Republican election and state higher officials who were offended by their fellow Republican accusations that there was fraud on their watch, nor the Dem ones. Even on the most left wing, see-race first shows, the primary reaction was that Trump and his group were simply making up shite because they lost. All about power, not specifically about race. Of course, those shows did get around to pointing out where the Trump folks kept claiming there was fraud wasn't coincidental...that's their frame and their audience is a tuned to that perspective, which, unfortunately, all too often has merit...

Conversely, we really did have some people trying to steal an election through a total lie.

Yes, a fan is being facetious.

Absentee ballots work marvelously well and have done so for years. They require procedures and processes to ensure validity is high, but those procedures and processes are well known and straightforwardly implemented.

We should make it as easy to vote as possible.
We do need to be vigilant with those procedures and processes.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:17 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm “Brevity is the soul of wit.” — Wm. S.
"as it is the soul of lingerie"..... D Parker
Pretty sure you’re past the age of lingerie titillation.

I am.😀
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
ggait

Post by ggait »

Hoodat — I think this is a terrible place to suggest the “both sides” argument.

In the end it turns out that one side was 100% wrong. Total liars with zero evidence. And we all knew it from the outset.

And one side persisted in their complete fraud long enough to convince 35% of the country that the bill shirt is true even to this day. And one side took the lies and ran with it up the stairs of the US Capital.

And then the leaders of one side all declared it to be wrong and terrible and untrue. For maybe 10 days or so and then fell back in line. They all just want to look forward and ignore it.

Sometimes (rarely) there really is only one side to the story.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

So it look like dopus stiffed john Eastman on a $270k legal invoice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Eastman loses his reputation and maybe his law license and liberty too. And doesn’t even get paid by trump. JFC. :roll:

As I’ve said before, trump is the worst client you could ever have as a lawyer. Eastman should have known better and is now getting what he deserves.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:56 pm So it look like dopus stiffed john Eastman on a $270k legal invoice. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Eastman loses his reputation and maybe his law license and liberty too. And doesn’t even get paid by trump. JFC. :roll:

As I’ve said before, trump is the worst client you could ever have as a lawyer. Eastman should have known better and is now getting what he deserves.
:lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:29 pm
HooDat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:14 pm If we could have skipped the political screaming and wailing of both parties, and just allowed a grown up analysis (like this) - everyone would have a much higher degree of confidence in our election processes.

I contended at the time, if people are worried about something the way to assure them is not to say - "you're an idiot, you have nothing to worry about". Instead, you might want to actually listen to their concerns and take them on as an opportunity to show how good the process works and perhaps to make it better.

Instead the Dems want to paint the Republicans as racists neanderthals, and the GOP wants to rile up their base on ridiculous claims of election fraud and "stolen" elections....
Respectfully disagree on several points.

1. These are fake complaints. I've already demonstrated that these are fake complaints in multiple posts.

a. if the ballots were fraudulent, why are the complainers ONLY talking about one single election on a ballot with DOZENS of issues and candidates? That shows that this is a 100% nonsense complaint. Republicans all took their seats when they won, and no one questioned this. And no one questioned important ballot initiatives. Sorry, but if you can't see how stupid this break with logic is, you're either an infant or an idiot. These are not honest, serious complaints, sorry.

b. no one complained about the same systems when it came to 2022 Primaries. To me, this is the smoking gun: people don't complain about election security when the Republicans win. That tells you that they do indeed trust election systems. They're just complaining because Trump told them to, and to ONLY complain when Republicans lose. Sorry, that doesn't square, and if you're telling us to treat these voters like adults? Adults get called out when they're not making any sense, or when they are flat out lying. Welcome to adulthood.

2. Elections are an open book, and always have been. You can meet with your County elections clerk any time you like. They'd be OVERJOYED to walk you through how they run their election. The rules, the laws, the MO.....and importantly...the AUDIT, which every election clerk in the country executes and reports in one way or another. It's all right there for any serious adult who honestly wants to learn about how their elections are run. As it should be!! My election commissioner was a regular at my pub in Ann Arbor. He took his job VERY seriously. And boy, did that man know his Michigan and Ann Arbor history. The exact guy you want in charge of these matters. Low key, no politics.

All that said? I agree that the best path would have been to do what you suggest. The part I quibble about is that that's not treating voters like adults. But in the end, who cares about that, right? Fight back against the lies and dumb*ss internet BAMN, I agree with you!
You use the term audit. To my knowledge Trump has never had an audit of his books done by choice. In accounting statements can be complied, reviewed or audited. This is the order of rigor that accountants polish the books. Complied is basically converting from quickbooks to three statement pages. Reviewed is like “yeah we looked at them and they are financial statements but we’re not saying we did any work to evaluate the accuracy of it all” and audit is full on sampling and testing of the G/L etc.

So when trump talks about election security and you tell him they’re audited he doesn’t really understand what that means .
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HooDat wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:19 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:17 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm “Brevity is the soul of wit.” — Wm. S.
"as it is the soul of lingerie"..... D Parker
:lol: :lol: :o
What is the word for butt naked?
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:19 am
HooDat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:14 pm If we could have skipped the political screaming and wailing of both parties, and just allowed a grown up analysis (like this) - everyone would have a much higher degree of confidence in our election processes.

I contended at the time, if people are worried about something the way to assure them is not to say - "you're an idiot, you have nothing to worry about". Instead, you might want to actually listen to their concerns and take them on as an opportunity to show how good the process works and perhaps to make it better.

Instead the Dems want to paint the Republicans as racists neanderthals, and the GOP wants to rile up their base on ridiculous claims of election fraud and "stolen" elections....

1. These are fake complaints. I've already demonstrated that these are fake complaints in multiple posts.

a. if the ballots were fraudulent, why are the complainers ONLY talking about one single election on a ballot with DOZENS of issues and candidates? That shows that this is a 100% nonsense complaint. Republicans all took their seats when they won, and no one questioned this. And no one questioned important ballot initiatives. Sorry, but if you can't see how stupid this break with logic is, you're either an infant or an idiot. These are not honest, serious complaints, sorry.

b. no one complained about the same systems when it came to 2022 Primaries. To me, this is the smoking gun: people don't complain about election security when the Republicans win. That tells you that they do indeed trust election systems. They're just complaining because Trump told them to, and to ONLY complain when Republicans lose. Sorry, that doesn't square, and if you're telling us to treat these voters like adults? Adults get called out when they're not making any sense, or when they are flat out lying. Welcome to adulthood.

2. Elections are an open book, and always have been. You can meet with your County elections clerk any time you like. They'd be OVERJOYED to walk you through how they run their election. The rules, the laws, the MO.....and importantly...the AUDIT, which every election clerk in the country executes and reports in one way or another. It's all right there for any serious adult who honestly wants to learn about how their elections are run. As it should be!! My election commissioner was a regular at my pub in Ann Arbor. He took his job VERY seriously. And boy, did that man know his Michigan and Ann Arbor history. The exact guy you want in charge of these matters. Low key, no politics.

All that said? I agree that the best path would have been to do what you suggest. The part I quibble about is that that's not treating voters like adults. But in the end, who cares about that, right? Fight back against the lies and dumb*ss internet BAMN, I agree with you!
You use the term audit. To my knowledge Trump has never had an audit of his books done by choice. In accounting statements can be complied, reviewed or audited. This is the order of rigor that accountants polish the books. Complied is basically converting from quickbooks to three statement pages. Reviewed is like “yeah we looked at them and they are financial statements but we’re not saying we did any work to evaluate the accuracy of it all” and audit is full on sampling and testing of the G/L etc.

So when trump talks about election security and you tell him they’re audited he doesn’t really understand what that means .
It’s really unbelievable.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:31 am

It’s really unbelievable.
Should read compiled earlier of course not complied
See Martin, Malcolm
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews

Sen Dick Durbin calls for internal probe of deleted Pentagon Jan 6 texts

“I don’t know whether the failure to preserve these critical government texts..is the result of bad faith, stunning incompetence or outdated records management policies, but we must get to the bottom of it"

9:58 AM · Aug 4, 2022·TweetDeck
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:59 am Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews

“I don’t know whether the failure to preserve these critical government texts..is the result of bad faith, stunning incompetence or outdated records management policies, but we must get to the bottom of it"

Dick Durbin!! I thought he was deceased. Is he in full fledged Democrat zombie mode? I know his brain was eaten years ago.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

Maybe we will also find Hillary’s emails! Notice how silent the bozos are on this topic.

Texts related to an investigation of an attempt to steal a US Presidential election by government officials is no big deal to these imbeciles.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am

Maybe we will also find Hillary’s emails! Notice how silent the bozos are on this topic.

Texts related to an investigation of an attempt to steal a US Presidential election by government officials is no big deal to these imbeciles.
I guess our nation is very fortunate. The wandering bunch of morons that breached the capital on Jan 6 were so effing stupid the best they could do was take a dump in the hallway and one dumb mother effer propping his tootsies up on Nancy's desk. These dumb ass mother effers were the people who were going to overturn our election... :lol:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:30 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:12 am

I guess our nation is very fortunate. The wandering bunch of morons that breached the capital on Jan 6 were so effing stupid the best they could do was take a dump in the hallway and one dumb mother effer propping his tootsies up on Nancy's desk. These dumb ass mother effers were the people who were going to overturn our election... :lol:
It is not about the clowns scaling the walls and taking craps inside the Capitol. You should try reading.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Unreal.

As always, appreciate your financial insight. Thanks!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:08 am

Dick Durbin!! I thought he was deceased. Is he in full fledged Democrat zombie mode? I know his brain was eaten years ago.
Durbin is a pretty spry 77. Not even close to the real oldsters. You mean Chuck Grassley (88), who actually is clinically dead, but comes to work in the Senate nearly every day, or Dianne Feinstein (89), who really, really needs to retire.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

DOJ IS SUING PETER NAVARRO (BUT NOT IVANKA OR MARK MEADOWS)
The PRA is notoriously toothless for forcing your Navarro or Ivanka or Jared or Meadows types who refuse to use official accounts for Federal business. (Though Andrew McCabe made sure to apply some teeth to the PRA with Jared and Dan Scavino within days after the Biden inauguration; records were not archived properly for others, including Kellyanne Conway and Kayleigh McEnany.) It is toothless, that is, until such time as the affirmative refusal to comply with it could be deemed obstruction of a criminal investigation, the kind of criminal investigation that Navarro may have specifically in mind when he demanded immunity for giving what DOJ maintains is Federal property to the people who own it.

Maybe Navarro, now represented by counsel, thinks that whatever criming he did on his ProtonMail account carries a greater criminal penalty than obstruction would.

This lawsuit is similar to a lawsuit against Steve Wynn to get him to register under FARA, but one on which the legal issues are likely to be much clearer. If and when DOJ wins the lawsuit, they can then charge the person with violating the underlying law, which in the Wynn case might have real teeth.

But they may not have to wait that long with Navarro. They’ve laid a case that Navarro is withholding materials in an effort to withhold evidence of criming from NARA. Who knows? Perhaps his new lawyer will rethink the wisdom of demanding immunity.

As interesting as the fact that DOJ sued Navarro is, it is just as interesting that they have not, yet, sued Ivanka and Mark Meadows, both of whom had similarly failed to turn over the contents of their personal accounts to NARA by the time the January 6 Committee came looking for them. Unlike Navarro, though, both showed signs of trying to comply last year.

The fact that DOJ hasn’t sued Ivanka and Meadows may suggest that a great deal of incriminating data for DOJ’s investigation of January 6 has now been delivered to NARA, where DOJ can obtain it with covert warrants that shield its investigation.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Alex Jones getting his comeuppance from the Judge:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/ ... 3684929536

I have to wonder if the attorney who received all of his one cell phones records can share them with other attorney's for other cases?
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

CU88 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 pm Alex Jones getting his comeuppance from the Judge:

I have to wonder if the attorney who received all of his one cell phones records can share them with other attorney's for other cases?
Jan. 6 committee and federal investigators have asked for Alex Jones' phone records, Sandy Hook attorney says

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 pm
CU88 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 pm Alex Jones getting his comeuppance from the Judge:

Jan. 6 committee and federal investigators have asked for Alex Jones' phone records, Sandy Hook attorney says

They can ask, then subpoena.

And if DOJ grand jury asks…😂

He’s fncked. A lot of other toolbags are fncked.

Karma has everyone’s home address.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”