The Abortion Thread

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: The Abortion Thread

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Margaret Atwood was eerily prescient in The Handmaid’s Tale.

“A cocktail of chemical pollutants measured in people’s bodies has been linked to falling semen quality by new research.

Chemicals such as bisphenols and dioxins are thought to interfere with hormones and damage sperm quality, and the study found combinations of these compounds are present at “astonishing” levels, up to 100 times those considered safe.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-research

Also “Children of Men”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_Men

Sort of elegant how nature balances things out. The very things that are destroying the environment will eliminate humans, which are the greatest threat to life on Earth.

Don’t be alarmed or resistant; appreciate the biology lesson we are witnessing.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

When Catholicism tolerated abortion:

ST. ANTONINUS: THE PATRON SAINT OF PRO-CHOICE CATHOLICS

https://religiondispatches.org/st-anton ... catholics/

The feast day of a pro-choice Catholic saint is a terrible thing to waste. That waste must end. By acclamation, pro-choice Catholics should declare May 10 to be a “holy day of obligation,” a term reserved for truly important liturgical times.

One of the most successful and malignant “big lies” is that the Catholic moral tradition (and, indeed, all the world’s major religions) have no space for those who would defend the sacred right of a pregnant person to choose abortion. That’s hogwash! Pro-choice and anti-choice views stand side by side with equal institutional legitimacy in the world’s major religions.

Catholicism is usually seen as being at the forefront of the anti-choice movement that would take moral freedom away from the pregnant person and consign it to male-dominated churches, legislatures, and courts.

History to the rescue

For starters, the great St. Antoninus—proclaimed by Pope Pius II as “a brilliant theologian”—defended early abortions when necessary to save the pregnant person life. This was no small category in the medical conditions of his time. His pro-choice position created no stir since there were other notable theologians who held the same view and allowed for a number of other exceptions. Nor did the hierarchy object. Rather, the humble and very gifted Antoninus was appointed Archbishop of Florence in 1446 before being canonized a saint of the Roman Catholic Church in 1523. There are Catholic parishes named for this pro-choice saint in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Newark, New Jersey.

St. Antoninus was not a pro-choice loner in the Roman Catholic tradition. In the sixteenth century, another Antoninus from Corduba declared that abortifacient medicines could potentially be taken even later in the pregnancy because, he said, the woman had a jus prius—a prior right. That is the polar opposite of the modern anti-choice view which denigrates the moral status of the pregnant person while almost divinizing the fetus. (Images have, in fact, appeared of a fetus nailed to a cross.) Nothing better illustrates the poisonous misogynist roots of the anti-choice position.

The pro-choice Catholic tradition continued into modern times. Jesuit theologian John Connery said that in the Bible itself “the fetus did not have the same moral status as the mother.” Father Joseph Donceel, S.J. states “the embryo is certainly not a human person during the early stage of pregnancy and consequently it is not immoral to terminate a pregnancy during this time, provided there are serious reasons for such an intervention.” This clearly isn’t a perfect fit with the contemporary pro-choice position, which is based on bodily autonomy and not solely on “the right” reasons, but it does present a significant challenge to the contemporary anti-choice position. Furthermore, as ninety percent of abortions in the United States are done in the first trimester, a shift toward this standard would effectively cover many cases.

So there it is. Catholic. Pro-choice. Sensible.

Popes and bishops, including Pope Francis, who crassly ignore the Catholic pro-choice tradition, are attacking and torturing the consciences of women—then, through lobbying, they attempt to impose their fascistic anti-choice view on the broader public.

Perhaps, in an edifying collective act of contrition, they should one and all resign their office on May 10, 2019, the feast day of their saintly pro-choice predecessor.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88

Post by CU88 »

Once Roe gets overturned and red states remove womens rights, where will NCAA sports relocate championship sites?

I have to believe that softball is 100% going to shift to a blue state, what about boys baseball?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/10/spor ... tball.html
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Makes sense. Illinois has a history of it's political leaders allowing people to harm others.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022 ... 13-weekend
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:15 pm
Makes sense. Illinois has a history of it's political leaders allowing people to harm others.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022 ... 13-weekend
Please explain.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 am Once Roe gets overturned and red states remove womens rights, where will NCAA sports relocate championship sites?

I have to believe that softball is 100% going to shift to a blue state, what about boys baseball?

Roe, if it is overturned, will be bounced back to the states to decide. That is exactly what Justice Rehnquist said should happen in his dissent way back in 1972. That is exactly where the decision should have been handed to. The state where I live, NYS is already passing abortion rights legislation where it should be.. as a states right. When you FLP folks are done whining the issue will be handled where it should have been dealt with all along.. it is a states right. No need to worry you FLP folks, there will be no shortage of dead babies.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:39 am
CU88 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 am Once Roe gets overturned and red states remove womens rights, where will NCAA sports relocate championship sites?

Roe, if it is overturned, will be bounced back to the states to decide. That is exactly what Justice Rehnquist said should happen in his dissent way back in 1972. That is exactly where the decision should have been handed to. The state where I live, NYS is already passing abortion rights legislation where it should be.. as a states right. When you FLP folks are done whining the issue will be handled where it should have been dealt with all along.. it is a states right. No need to worry you FLP folks, there will be no shortage of dead babies.

I love your replies. Lol.

The better question is where does the FLP riot first? I say New York City.

They will need a full battalion on Barrett’s street. Same with Kavanaugh.

Hopefully we won’t be facing the need for troops anywhere in else the world; we’ll need all the boys here defending against the FLP.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:48 am

Hopefully we won’t be facing the need for troops anywhere in else the world; we’ll need all the boys here defending against the FLP.
Nobody from the FLP extremists on this forum will explain why Justice K and his family should have to fear for their lives. I guess death threats are just a part of the job?? :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... man you can't help yourself. If it's an ass, you'll kiss it. :lol: :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:02 am

Nobody from the FLP extremists on this forum will explain why Justice K and his family should have to fear for their lives. I guess death threats are just a part of the job?? :roll:

I believe pizzasnake just the other day claimed here that if you want to be a conservative judge on the Supreme Court, you have to accept the fact that some FLP will try to kill you.

MD followed that gem up by saying ‘if only the conservative judges wouldn’t vote on political cases, they’d be safe’.

I almost want Roe to be overturned simply to watch the hysteria, and of course riots. Bizarrely, the FLP don’t discourage rioting in their own cities. I don’t care if FLP destroy liberal cities; heck I’ll encourage them! :lol:

I do hope Milley assigns full battalions to protect the conservative judges (you’ll note that no one needs to protect the liberal judges since no conservatives would seriously threaten them).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

This stupid trolling is getting very tedious.

No one on here is in favor of violence, or threats of violence, against SCOTUS justices and their families, or against any other public official or employee, high or low, and their families.

And those being called "FLP" have consistently said so, including in these instances.

It IS notable that there's been total hypocrisy from our right wing trolls about such when directed against election officials, school board members, teachers, etc. They defend such as both deserved, and unimportant.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Wrong again KellyAnne. Apparently you have a whole online magazine dedicated to you -- Crooks and Liars. :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:07 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:02 am

I believe pizzasnake just the other day claimed here that if you want to be a conservative judge on the Supreme Court, you have to accept the fact that some FLP will try to kill you.

MD followed that gem up by saying ‘if only the conservative judges wouldn’t vote on political cases, they’d be safe’.

I almost want Roe to be overturned simply to watch the hysteria, and of course riots. Bizarrely, the FLP don’t discourage rioting in their own cities.

I do hope Milley assigns full battalions to protect the conservative judges (you’ll note that no one needs to protect the liberal judges since no conservatives would seriously threaten them). I don’t care if FLP destroy liberal cities; heck I’ll encourage them! :lol:
Justice Rehnquist in his dissent to Roe made the case very clear. Abortion rights are a state issue. That is what any reversal of R v W becomes. Abortion is not being outlawed. It is being bounced back for the states to decide. 50 states will be allowed to determine abortion rights. IMO that is called democracy. Why does everyone have such a problem with that. It is not the first time the SCOTUS decided a case incorrectly.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:12 am This stupid trolling is getting very tedious.

No one on here is in favor of violence, or threats of violence, against SCOTUS justices and their families, or against any other public official or employee, high or low, and their families.

And those being called "FLP" have consistently said so, including in these instances.

It IS notable that there's been total hypocrisy from our right wing trolls about such when directed against election officials, school board members, teachers, etc. They defend such as both deserved, and unimportant.

You said what you said. But that’s okay, you also said Andrew Gillum was a rock star.

What’s more relevant here is this. Showing up at a judge’s home to affect outcomes, imo, isn’t simply illegal, it’s likely to lead to violence.

No one cares if you picket outside at a courthouse. Why can’t your band of lunatics simply do that?

So far as other officials, election or school board members, if anyone showed up to their homes to picket, I say arrest the protesters. Most of those jobs are elected roles; get out and win at the ballot box. If you threaten in any way, or show up at a private residence, off to jail you go to consider the consequences of your actions.

I have a feeling you disagree. I wonder why…
Last edited by Peter Brown on Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Return to “POLITICS”