All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

JoeMauer89

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:55 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:14 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:08 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:18 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:54 am Anyone know if others recently infected that have been vaccinated and boosted?

Two friends meet the criteria above, tested positive very minor if any symptoms until about day 6/7, then migraine/headaches, exhausted and congested. They both have said they had no symptoms days 4,5,6.
my wife & sister picked it up during week visit in Ocean City. Both double vaxxed & double boosted. Same symptoms. At first + test went to urgent care & were Rx'd the Paxlovid therapeutic pills. Mild fatigue lingered a couple weeks, almost gone now.
Nice to hear it was a mild case.

It's red hot out here in Colorado. Everyone at work has at least one family member that's gotten it in the last month.
The vaccine introduced this fall will cover more variants. We have been lucky. This last variant is not nearly as lethal as Delta was and there is no such thing as “the virus will get weaker and weaker in order to survive.”
"there is no such thing as “the virus will get weaker and weaker in order to survive"

Why do you say this? You do not know that is the case. I can tell you one thing, luck has ZERO to do with it. Might be that as more people have been exposed to it, the 2nd/3rd/4th time around the body recognizes it, knows how to deal with it, therefore resulting in much much milder symptoms. I don't think luck has anything to do with it. The virus cannot be ascribed human characteristics, it's like when people say "The virus doesn't care if your tired of it" That's a crock of bullcrap. The virus looks for a host, it's not a sentient being. Just a pet peeve in general, not saying your guilty of doing it. But luck and CV-19 should not be mentioned in the same sentence. They have nothing to do with each other.

Joe
Joe, you are right. It’s not luck…it’s science. Sentient is a good word.
TLD,

Thanks! I'm good for one every so often! :lol: :lol:

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:54 am Anyone know if others recently infected that have been vaccinated and boosted?

Two friends meet the criteria above, tested positive very minor if any symptoms until about day 6/7, then migraine/headaches, exhausted and congested. They both have said they had no symptoms days 4,5,6.
my wife & sister picked it up during week visit in Ocean City. Both double vaxxed & double boosted. Same symptoms. At first + test went to urgent care & were Rx'd the Paxlovid therapeutic pills. Mild fatigue lingered a couple weeks, almost gone now.

It's red hot out here in Colorado. Everyone at work has at least one family member that's gotten it in the last month.
The vaccine introduced this fall will cover more variants. We have been lucky. This last variant is not nearly as lethal as Delta was and there is no such thing as “the virus will get weaker and weaker in order to survive.”
"there is no such thing as “the virus will get weaker and weaker in order to survive"

Why do you say this? You do not know that is the case. I can tell you one thing, luck has ZERO to do with it. Might be that as more people have been exposed to it, the 2nd/3rd/4th time around the body recognizes it, knows how to deal with it, therefore resulting in much much milder symptoms. I don't think luck has anything to do with it. The virus cannot be ascribed human characteristics, it's like when people say "The virus doesn't care if your tired of it" That's a crock of bullcrap. The virus looks for a host, it's not a sentient being. Just a pet peeve in general, not saying your guilty of doing it. But luck and CV-19 should not be mentioned in the same sentence. They have nothing to do with each other.

Joe
Joe, you are right. It’s not luck…it’s science. Sentient is a good word.
TLD,

Thanks! I'm good for one every so often! :lol: :lol:

Joe
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41576-018-0055-5
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:54 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:44 pm

Joe
The progressively weaker virus trope would be true, IF, more virulent strains killed the host before it could develop high viral load and be spread to others.

The high R0 describes the average number of people infected by a contagious individual. The R0 has gotten progressively higher with each “dominant” strain (that is why they become most prevalent and crowd the others out. The “luck”, thus far, is that none of these have been so different from preceding variants such that they present to the immune system as “novel”. Oh, that and not particularly virulent.

However, the longer one play’s Russian roulette….
The one's playing Russian Roulette are who just so were on the same page? The unvaccinated? This goes unsaid in 2022 nearly two and half years into this thing. I'm willing to bet if a particularly virulent strain were to "emerge", it would not have a high R0. I don't consider that "luck", that's science. If there are those that want to mistake "luck" for the actual science involved as to why a particular more virulent strain has yet to emerge, they can keep their heads buried in the sand. Luck is for Vegas, not a respiratory virus. :roll:

Joie
“I'm willing to bet if a particularly virulent strain were to "emerge", it would not have a high R0.”

Why would you “bet” that way? Is this a game of chance or “luck”?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:10 pm

Joe
The progressively weaker virus trope would be true, IF, more virulent strains killed the host before it could develop high viral load and be spread to others.

The high R0 describes the average number of people infected by a contagious individual. The R0 has gotten progressively higher with each “dominant” strain (that is why they become most prevalent and crowd the others out. The “luck”, thus far, is that none of these have been so different from preceding variants such that they present to the immune system as “novel”. Oh, that and not particularly virulent.

The one's playing Russian Roulette are who just so were on the same page? The unvaccinated? This goes unsaid in 2022 nearly two and half years into this thing. I'm willing to bet if a particularly virulent strain were to "emerge", it would not have a high R0. I don't consider that "luck", that's science. If there are those that want to mistake "luck" for the actual science involved as to why a particular more virulent strain has yet to emerge, they can keep their heads buried in the sand. Luck is for Vegas, not a respiratory virus. :roll:

Joie
“I'm willing to bet if a particularly virulent strain were to "emerge", it would not have a high R0.”

You got me, poor choice of words. I made my point. Back to not engaging on the politics threads. Not worth it in the end. Full of preconceived notions and inability to involve nuance in any discussion.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:48 pm

Joe

Joie

You got me, poor choice of words. I made my point. Back to not engaging on the politics threads. Not worth it in the end. Full of preconceived notions and inability to involve nuance in any discussion.

Joe
Do you believe viruses a predisposed to becoming less virulent?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:20 pm

Joe

Joie

Joe
I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly do not believe that become MORE virulent. Maybe there's a strain or two that does, but that has to do with the makeup of the virus.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:43 pm

Joe

Joie

Joe
I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly do not believe that become MORE virulent. Maybe there's a strain or two that does, but that has to do with the makeup of the virus.

Joe
Was Delta more or less virulent than the first strain?

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-011488089270
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:55 pm

Joe

Joie

Joe

Joe

Less. And Omnicron less than Delta.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:40 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:55 pm

Joe

Joie

Joe

Joe

Less. And Omnicron less than Delta.

Joe
https://www.cleanlink.com/news/article/ ... nce--27467
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

regardless the cause, the numbers are staggering....assuming they are accurate.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/news/l ... h-syndrome

Among athletes, sudden death incidence has historically ranged between 1 in 40,000 and 1 in 80,000.12 An analysis13 of deaths among competitive athletes between 1980 and 2006 in the U.S. identified a total of 1,866 cases where an athlete either collapsed from cardiac arrest and/or died suddenly. That’s 1,866 cases occurring over a span of 27 years, giving us an annual average of 69 in the U.S.

Data14 compiled by the International Olympic Committee show 1,101 sudden deaths in athletes under age 35 between 1966 and 2004, giving us an average annual rate of 29 sudden deaths, across all sports. Meanwhile, between March 2021 and March 2022 alone — a single year — at least 769 athletes have suffered cardiac arrest, collapse, and/or have died on the field, worldwide.15

Good Sciencing, which is keeping a running total of athletic deaths post-jab puts the current number of cardiac arrests at 1,090 and total deaths at 715.16 Several dozen more are pending confirmation that the athlete had in fact received the shot.

Among EU FIFA (football/soccer ball) athletes, sudden death increased by 420% in 2021.17 Historically, about five soccer players have died while playing the game each year. Between January and mid-November 2021, 21 FIFA players died from sudden death.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Charts and graphics available in link:
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... dium=email

BA.4/5 is sweeping the globe

Katelyn Jetelina
Jun 22

The newest Omicron variant, BA.4/5, is gaining traction, causing case, hospitalization, and death curves to trend upwards in many countries. This variant was first detected in South Africa in early 2022 and caught our attention because it had several mutations on the spike protein. Two mutations in particular, called L452R and F486V, caught our attention because we had seen them on previous variants of concern. Recent lab and epidemiological data show BA.4/5 to be driving this wave, in part due to reinfections and infections after vaccination.

Infections
In the lab, we see that Omicron is getting better at escaping our first line of defense—neutralizing antibodies. The figure below displays the step-wise function of losing neutralizing antibody protection more and more with each subsequent Omicron variant. Note that among recently boosted, BA.4/5 does not fully escape immunity. This means, in the short-term, boosters help prevent infection and thus transmission.

Other lab studies show Omicron escapes infection-induced immunity, too. We are particularly worried about recent BA.1/2 infections (first Omicron waves). Data from South Africa found immune escape more pronounced among unvaccinated compared to vaccinated (not boosted) people (5-fold difference). Another study found BA.1 or BA.2 infection among unvaccinated people induced very low levels of antibodies against BA.4/5 (see panels A and C below). Those who were infected and vaccinated did have meaningful protection, albeit at lower levels than before.

Weakening our first line of defense—neutralizing antibodies— will mean more (re)infections. Lab data compliments what we are seeing in the “real world”. BA.4/5 drove a substantial case wave in South Africa regardless of their high level of immunity. Case waves across Europe are now well on their way, too. In the U.K., reinfections are on the rise, even among 60+ year olds.

We don’t have epidemiological data on duration of booster effectiveness against BA.4/5. Data from the U.K. showed that boosters provided strong initial protection against BA.1 or BA.2 infection but quickly diminished to 0% five months later. We expect BA.4/5 to shorten this timeline even more. I’m not confident that our boosters will be able to keep up in protecting against infection with the rate of Omicron mutating. (Protection against severe disease is much higher and wanes slower: 90% effectiveness against hospitalization 2-4 weeks after a booster → 70% 6 months after a booster.)

Severe disease
There are a whole host of reasons why infections are not great, but reducing severe disease is one of our main priorities. In South Africa, the BA.4/5 wave contributed to excess deaths, but the rate diminishes with every wave since winter 2021.

In Europe, Portugal is the BA.4/5 leader, with 70% of COVID-19 cases accounting for this new variant. With one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, they largely escaped death from Delta. However, now, after recently reaching their BA.4/5 case peak, excess mortality hit the highest level since their vaccination campaign began.

In Portugal, increase in hospitalizations is occurring mainly in people over 60 years old. In fact, in a recent analysis, unvaccinated people over 80 had a case fatality rate (CFR) of 9.5% (see figure below). Among those with only the primary vaccine series, CFR is 5%; among those with a booster, it is 1.7%.

This is likely due to two things:

Waning immunity. While Portugal does have a higher booster rate than the U.S., it isn’t perfect. Some people’s protection against severe disease could be waning, especially among those who are not up to date with COVID-19 vaccine.

Transmissibility. Vaccines are not perfect, and if we have a virus burning through a population, it can still cause high levels of death among vulnerable pockets, like the elderly.

The verdict is still out as to whether BA.4/5 is more severe. A recent preprint found that BA.4/5 was more severe for hamsters. In fact, their data suggested that BA.4/5 was going into the lungs more. (Initially, Omicron largely moved disease out of the lungs, which helped it become less severe). Importantly, though, this wasn’t the case using human sera. More research is certainly needed.

BA.4/5 hospitalizations are now making headway in other European countries. The figure from Financial Times below clearly shows the global upswing in hospitalizations as BA.4/5 entered the scene. But, so far, remains much lower than previous peaks.

United States
So where does this leave us in the U.S.? BA.4/5 makes up 35% of new infections and is growing quickly. Unfortunately, patterns in South Africa and Europe won’t tell us much about how things will unfold in the U.S. because we just had a very infectious variant moving through (BA.2.12.1). Other countries did not experience this. We know BA.4/5 is more transmissible than BA.2.12.1, but the epidemiological impact of that difference is not yet known. This is why disease modelers are providing case projections for worse case (below left) and best case scenarios (below right) for cases.

On a population level, we expect our complex history of infection- and vaccination-induced immunity to continue to protect against severe disease. In fact, it’s reassuring that all-cause mortality in the U.S. reached pre-pandemic levels from March-May 2022. Death certificates are lagged, so I’ll be curious to see if and how excess deaths changed in the past two months during our latest wave. It will also be important to track this by age, particularly among elderly, to ensure we don’t leave people behind in the wake of highly transmissible variants.

Bottom line
This virus continues to mutate to escape our first line of defense causing (re)infections. If you don’t want to get sick, it’s time to leverage other layers of protection, like masking. Thankfully, other immune system mechanisms continue to work to reduce severe disease. The transmissibility of the virus is causing upswings of hospitalizations and deaths among the most vulnerable of our populations. We aren’t out of the woods yet but we are inching closer and closer to a manageable virus.

Love, YLE
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:16 pm Charts and graphics available in link:
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... dium=email

BA.4/5 is sweeping the globe

Katelyn Jetelina
Jun 22

The newest Omicron variant, BA.4/5, is gaining traction, causing case, hospitalization, and death curves to trend upwards in many countries. This variant was first detected in South Africa in early 2022 and caught our attention because it had several mutations on the spike protein. Two mutations in particular, called L452R and F486V, caught our attention because we had seen them on previous variants of concern. Recent lab and epidemiological data show BA.4/5 to be driving this wave, in part due to reinfections and infections after vaccination.

Infections
In the lab, we see that Omicron is getting better at escaping our first line of defense—neutralizing antibodies. The figure below displays the step-wise function of losing neutralizing antibody protection more and more with each subsequent Omicron variant. Note that among recently boosted, BA.4/5 does not fully escape immunity. This means, in the short-term, boosters help prevent infection and thus transmission.

Other lab studies show Omicron escapes infection-induced immunity, too. We are particularly worried about recent BA.1/2 infections (first Omicron waves). Data from South Africa found immune escape more pronounced among unvaccinated compared to vaccinated (not boosted) people (5-fold difference). Another study found BA.1 or BA.2 infection among unvaccinated people induced very low levels of antibodies against BA.4/5 (see panels A and C below). Those who were infected and vaccinated did have meaningful protection, albeit at lower levels than before.

Weakening our first line of defense—neutralizing antibodies— will mean more (re)infections. Lab data compliments what we are seeing in the “real world”. BA.4/5 drove a substantial case wave in South Africa regardless of their high level of immunity. Case waves across Europe are now well on their way, too. In the U.K., reinfections are on the rise, even among 60+ year olds.

We don’t have epidemiological data on duration of booster effectiveness against BA.4/5. Data from the U.K. showed that boosters provided strong initial protection against BA.1 or BA.2 infection but quickly diminished to 0% five months later. We expect BA.4/5 to shorten this timeline even more. I’m not confident that our boosters will be able to keep up in protecting against infection with the rate of Omicron mutating. (Protection against severe disease is much higher and wanes slower: 90% effectiveness against hospitalization 2-4 weeks after a booster → 70% 6 months after a booster.)

Severe disease
There are a whole host of reasons why infections are not great, but reducing severe disease is one of our main priorities. In South Africa, the BA.4/5 wave contributed to excess deaths, but the rate diminishes with every wave since winter 2021.

In Europe, Portugal is the BA.4/5 leader, with 70% of COVID-19 cases accounting for this new variant. With one of the highest vaccination rates in the world, they largely escaped death from Delta. However, now, after recently reaching their BA.4/5 case peak, excess mortality hit the highest level since their vaccination campaign began.

In Portugal, increase in hospitalizations is occurring mainly in people over 60 years old. In fact, in a recent analysis, unvaccinated people over 80 had a case fatality rate (CFR) of 9.5% (see figure below). Among those with only the primary vaccine series, CFR is 5%; among those with a booster, it is 1.7%.

This is likely due to two things:

Waning immunity. While Portugal does have a higher booster rate than the U.S., it isn’t perfect. Some people’s protection against severe disease could be waning, especially among those who are not up to date with COVID-19 vaccine.

Transmissibility. Vaccines are not perfect, and if we have a virus burning through a population, it can still cause high levels of death among vulnerable pockets, like the elderly.

The verdict is still out as to whether BA.4/5 is more severe. A recent preprint found that BA.4/5 was more severe for hamsters. In fact, their data suggested that BA.4/5 was going into the lungs more. (Initially, Omicron largely moved disease out of the lungs, which helped it become less severe). Importantly, though, this wasn’t the case using human sera. More research is certainly needed.

BA.4/5 hospitalizations are now making headway in other European countries. The figure from Financial Times below clearly shows the global upswing in hospitalizations as BA.4/5 entered the scene. But, so far, remains much lower than previous peaks.

United States
So where does this leave us in the U.S.? BA.4/5 makes up 35% of new infections and is growing quickly. Unfortunately, patterns in South Africa and Europe won’t tell us much about how things will unfold in the U.S. because we just had a very infectious variant moving through (BA.2.12.1). Other countries did not experience this. We know BA.4/5 is more transmissible than BA.2.12.1, but the epidemiological impact of that difference is not yet known. This is why disease modelers are providing case projections for worse case (below left) and best case scenarios (below right) for cases.

On a population level, we expect our complex history of infection- and vaccination-induced immunity to continue to protect against severe disease. In fact, it’s reassuring that all-cause mortality in the U.S. reached pre-pandemic levels from March-May 2022. Death certificates are lagged, so I’ll be curious to see if and how excess deaths changed in the past two months during our latest wave. It will also be important to track this by age, particularly among elderly, to ensure we don’t leave people behind in the wake of highly transmissible variants.

Bottom line
This virus continues to mutate to escape our first line of defense causing (re)infections. If you don’t want to get sick, it’s time to leverage other layers of protection, like masking. Thankfully, other immune system mechanisms continue to work to reduce severe disease. The transmissibility of the virus is causing upswings of hospitalizations and deaths among the most vulnerable of our populations. We aren’t out of the woods yet but we are inching closer and closer to a manageable virus.

Love, YLE
Just out of pure curiosity, do you think that Katelyn is the only knowledgably source on CV-19? You consistently post these essays from her, so just wondering. It's nice to get your information from more than one source. Just curious. Katelyn is NOT a viral epidemiologist, she is a violence epidemiologist. Not sure what that means. But her background is below. Just think others on this site should know her background because the amount of times you post these updates from her like they are gospel, leads me to believe you think she is more well-versed in the subject manner than is actually the case. Again, to reiterate, she is not trained in virology AT ALL. Just curious about your continued posting of her substack articles, that's all.

"Dr. Katelyn Jetelina is a data scientist, violence epidemiologist, and educator. For the past 10 years, she has conducted research with vulnerable populations exposed to violence, like victims of child abuse, human trafficking, intimate partner violence, gun violence, and police officers. As a part of her research portfolio, she has developed interventions using smart and personal technology and analyzed “big data” from health systems. This work has resulted in more than 70 peer reviewed articles and has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, Department of Justice, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and numerous non-profit organizations."

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:15 pm regardless the cause, the numbers are staggering....assuming they are accurate.

Among athletes, sudden death incidence has historically ranged between 1 in 40,000 and 1 in 80,000.12 An analysis13 of deaths among competitive athletes between 1980 and 2006 in the U.S. identified a total of 1,866 cases where an athlete either collapsed from cardiac arrest and/or died suddenly. That’s 1,866 cases occurring over a span of 27 years, giving us an annual average of 69 in the U.S.

Data14 compiled by the International Olympic Committee show 1,101 sudden deaths in athletes under age 35 between 1966 and 2004, giving us an average annual rate of 29 sudden deaths, across all sports. Meanwhile, between March 2021 and March 2022 alone — a single year — at least 769 athletes have suffered cardiac arrest, collapse, and/or have died on the field, worldwide.15

Good Sciencing, which is keeping a running total of athletic deaths post-jab puts the current number of cardiac arrests at 1,090 and total deaths at 715.16 Several dozen more are pending confirmation that the athlete had in fact received the shot.

Among EU FIFA (football/soccer ball) athletes, sudden death increased by 420% in 2021.17 Historically, about five soccer players have died while playing the game each year. Between January and mid-November 2021, 21 FIFA players died from sudden death.
The cause is probably the vaccine.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:25 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:15 pm regardless the cause, the numbers are staggering....assuming they are accurate.

Glad the vaccine really doesn’t minimize symptoms….now we know.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:40 pm

Yep. Now we do. Folks out here dropping like flies from the vaccine.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:41 pm

that huge increase in percentage is minimal for a small group of athletes.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:44 pm

You da target audience baby….

https://health-desk.org/articles/what-i ... h-syndrome

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/vacci ... -syndrome/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:50 pm

:lol: :lol: I suppose all these athletes somehow just had a strange uptick in heart issues that resulted in death after vaccinations. Natural selection only picked heart condition people to be athletes, at a high level, in soccer, and in one year kick the bucket, after vaccination. Snopes and Mayo clinic are now TLD's science reference material.... :lol:

ProTip TLD, don't do anything to over exert yourself, might have to slow down knockin' Timb's ;) :lol:
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:50 pm

:lol: :lol: I suppose all these athletes somehow just had a strange uptick in heart issues that resulted in death after vaccinations. Natural selection only picked heart condition people to be athletes, at a high level, in soccer, and in one year kick the bucket, after vaccination. Snopes and Mayo clinic are now TLD's science reference material.... :lol:

ProTip TLD, don't do anything to over exert yourself, might have to slow down knockin' Timb's ;) :lol:
Anyone but Candace baby…..with her stanky 🐈⬛

Return to “POLITICS”