Baltimore: A Shining Star

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: Baltimore: A Shining Star

Post by kramerica.inc »

richard wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:10 pm Toilets,politics be damned. His barbecue is damn good and he passed his talents to the next generation. Jakes on Falls Rd has some of the best Pit Beef on the planet. Everything else is top notch too.
Shorty is something else though. 8-)
Love bbq and pit beef. But I'm not eating at Shorty's until he...pulls up his darn mask.

:lol:
richard

Post by richard »

Jakes is Shortys sons place. Shorty isnt there. He only passed along his barbecue talent.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:43 pm Only in Baltimore.

https://twitter.com/balleralert/status/ ... 95873?s=21

But for clarification, “Shorty” is BBQ enthusiast Duane “Shorty” Davis.

But only in Baltimore can people earn the title of “political activist and bbq enthusiast.”
The only Davis I recognize in Baltimore is Clay Davis.

Sheeeeeeeeet
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

'Dante's work saved lives': Baltimore mourns Safe Streets member killed in shooting

BALTIMORE —
A man killed in a shooting Sunday is being remembered for his dedication to fighting gun violence in Baltimore.

Described as a man who saved lives as the director of Safe Streets in Baltimore City, Dante Barksdale spent nearly a decade fighting against gun violence until, police said, that same violence claimed his life.

Advertisement
City police said officers were called around 11:17 a.m. to the 200 block of Douglas Court, where Barksdale was shot in the head. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he died, police said.

Barksdale was always there, stepping in before things turned violent. WBAL-TV 11 News was with Barksdale in 2017 as he intervened in a fight.

"We know guys on every last one of these corners, from Patterson Park, to Lynwood, to Monument, to Baltimore and further," Barksdale said in 2017.

And Barksdale spoke with 11 News in 2018 about being a violence interrupter, canvassing the Park Heights neighborhood and talking to residents in an effort to build rapport and stop violence from erupting.

As the director of Safe Streets, Barksdale worked with volunteers for years to get the number of shootings down in many areas that see a high rate of crime.

"Now, with little, small children committing robberies, it's, like, some new stuff that I'm not used to. I've never seen this before until now," Barksdale said in 2017.

He continued to grow in his efforts with 10 Safe Streets sites across the city, engaging with those in the community in hopes of stopping crime before it happens.

"It's always something about a stash being stolen or a bill or debt not being paid or some form of disrespect -- 'You're hustling in my neighborhood. You're hustling on my corner,'" Barksdale said in 2018.

Mayor Brandon Scott said in a statement: "My heart is broken with the loss of my friend Dante Barksdale, a beloved leader in our community who committed his life to saving lives in Baltimore. He was the heart and soul of Safe Streets, where he worked for nine years. His death is a major loss to Safe Streets, the communities they serve and the entire city of Baltimore. I send my deepest condolences and prayers to Dante's family in this tragic time.

"While I am devastated by the loss of my brother in the fight to save lives in Baltimore, I will not let those who chose to violently take his life dampen the light of his work. The work that Dante did, and the work that so many in Safe Streets and other street-based organizations do to actively interrupt violence, is critical to my priority of reducing violence and making Baltimore's neighborhoods safer.

"Safe Streets and other community-based violence interventions are effective. They save lives. Dante's work saved lives. This is a sobering reminder of how dangerous this front-line work is. We must be steadfast in our commitment to continuing this work, investing in it, and making it more effective for a safer Baltimore."

Shantay Jackson, director of the Mayor's Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement, issued the following statement: "Dante was not only a respected Safe Streets team member, but a beloved friend to so many in Baltimore. He turned his life around and worked tirelessly for nearly a decade to prevent gun violence in our communities by working with those who were at the highest risk of being a shooter or the victim of shooting. Our office mourns this senseless loss of life with the rest of Baltimore City and is committed to honoring his life and his light by continuing to work to end gun violence in our city once and for all."

Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison released the following statement: "The men and women of the Baltimore Police Department offer our heartfelt condolences to the family of Dante Barksdale. His work in outreach, mediating conflicts and reducing gun violence in our city was invaluable and he embodied a message of redemption and peace to the many young people of our city."

Police have not commented on any suspects in Barksdale's killing. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 410-396-2100 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 866-7LOCKUP.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 pm 'Dante's work saved lives': Baltimore mourns Safe Streets member killed in shooting

BALTIMORE —
A man killed in a shooting Sunday is being remembered for his dedication to fighting gun violence in Baltimore.

Described as a man who saved lives as the director of Safe Streets in Baltimore City, Dante Barksdale spent nearly a decade fighting against gun violence until, police said, that same violence claimed his life.

Advertisement
City police said officers were called around 11:17 a.m. to the 200 block of Douglas Court, where Barksdale was shot in the head. He was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he died, police said.

Barksdale was always there, stepping in before things turned violent. WBAL-TV 11 News was with Barksdale in 2017 as he intervened in a fight.

"We know guys on every last one of these corners, from Patterson Park, to Lynwood, to Monument, to Baltimore and further," Barksdale said in 2017.

And Barksdale spoke with 11 News in 2018 about being a violence interrupter, canvassing the Park Heights neighborhood and talking to residents in an effort to build rapport and stop violence from erupting.

As the director of Safe Streets, Barksdale worked with volunteers for years to get the number of shootings down in many areas that see a high rate of crime.

"Now, with little, small children committing robberies, it's, like, some new stuff that I'm not used to. I've never seen this before until now," Barksdale said in 2017.

He continued to grow in his efforts with 10 Safe Streets sites across the city, engaging with those in the community in hopes of stopping crime before it happens.

"It's always something about a stash being stolen or a bill or debt not being paid or some form of disrespect -- 'You're hustling in my neighborhood. You're hustling on my corner,'" Barksdale said in 2018.

Mayor Brandon Scott said in a statement: "My heart is broken with the loss of my friend Dante Barksdale, a beloved leader in our community who committed his life to saving lives in Baltimore. He was the heart and soul of Safe Streets, where he worked for nine years. His death is a major loss to Safe Streets, the communities they serve and the entire city of Baltimore. I send my deepest condolences and prayers to Dante's family in this tragic time.

"While I am devastated by the loss of my brother in the fight to save lives in Baltimore, I will not let those who chose to violently take his life dampen the light of his work. The work that Dante did, and the work that so many in Safe Streets and other street-based organizations do to actively interrupt violence, is critical to my priority of reducing violence and making Baltimore's neighborhoods safer.

"Safe Streets and other community-based violence interventions are effective. They save lives. Dante's work saved lives. This is a sobering reminder of how dangerous this front-line work is. We must be steadfast in our commitment to continuing this work, investing in it, and making it more effective for a safer Baltimore."

Shantay Jackson, director of the Mayor's Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement, issued the following statement: "Dante was not only a respected Safe Streets team member, but a beloved friend to so many in Baltimore. He turned his life around and worked tirelessly for nearly a decade to prevent gun violence in our communities by working with those who were at the highest risk of being a shooter or the victim of shooting. Our office mourns this senseless loss of life with the rest of Baltimore City and is committed to honoring his life and his light by continuing to work to end gun violence in our city once and for all."

Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison released the following statement: "The men and women of the Baltimore Police Department offer our heartfelt condolences to the family of Dante Barksdale. His work in outreach, mediating conflicts and reducing gun violence in our city was invaluable and he embodied a message of redemption and peace to the many young people of our city."

Police have not commented on any suspects in Barksdale's killing. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 410-396-2100 or Metro Crime Stoppers at 866-7LOCKUP.
Quite a loss. Very sorry to hear.
Safe Streets is a terrific program...really tough, dangerous work, yet so important.
And indeed a real example of redemption.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
CU88

Post by CU88 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:26 am
TIMELESS!!!
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:01 am Image
Good to hear the BS will stay in the hands of politically sympathetic ownership.
Profit or not, much won't change at the Sun.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:57 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:01 am Image
Good to hear the BS will stay in the hands of politically sympathetic ownership.
Profit or not, much won't change at the Sun.
I dunno...likely would be greatly beefed up journalistic staff again. Local, national, even international again. If you mean the editorial, yes.

But the quality and quantity of the journalism could become comparable to the glory days of the Evening and Morning and Sunday Sunpapers. (not that there would be separate staffs or separate paper distribution, it would be mostly digital, but quantity and quality).

The journalism has been gutted these past couple of decades...business model broken.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The Sun was always in bad financial ways. But the whole mess was really exacerbated in the early 00s. It was not really their fault though. It was a time of MASSIVE change for the industry with nothing to compare it to. During the time, many newspapers/magazines struggled to figure out the online side. Even the oldest and best. They didnt understand the internet. And reader tendancies weren't known yet either. Stubborness and unpreparedness was rampant in the industry. Many dumped content online to just be accessible. Others asked for honor system subscriptions. But theose that offered the content for free created a monster that killed circulation and set public expectations. You weren't getting that cow back in the barn. That model finally morphed a little and settled to the hybrid model that meet the reader tendencies we have and see today.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Bloomberg gives Hopkins another 150M for minority scholarships. $3.55B in total so far to the university endowment.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:50 pm Bloomberg gives Hopkins another 150M for minority scholarships. $3.55B in total so far to the university endowment.
Hopefully we won’t hear about Bloomberg tax evasion like w Robert Smith.

On the old BMore Sun topic discussed previously. Have a buddy closely involved with the Bainum family office. Apparently this has turned into a blood feud with Stuart’s prior fund partner in the acquisition and ego will drive him buying the sun if he has to burn money to do so.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not sure if anyone has seen this from Baltimore: https://www.gofundme.com/f/friends-for- ... ce=twitter
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sorry to hear that. Hope for a speedy recovery with no lasting effects.
And people wonder why Baltimore's population is dwindling.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:06 pm Sorry to hear that. Hope for a speedy recovery with no lasting effects.
And people wonder why Baltimore's population is dwindling.
You have it backwards, Ace…. It’s no wonder you see this as the population has dwindled…..
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Things are getting serious in DC. Not just the 6 yr old girl caught in the crossfire, a Nats ballgame was disrupted.

Has Her Honor called for the deployment of the DC National Guard yet ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:30 pm Things are getting serious in DC. Not just the 6 yr old girl caught in the crossfire, a Nats ballgame was disrupted.

The squeeze is on.....Audi field to the South, Nat's Park to the East, and SW Waterfront/Wharf to the Northwest . The last of the remaining residential drug area trapped inside that triangle. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8734517 ... a=!3m1!1e3
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:30 pm Things are getting serious in DC. Not just the 6 yr old girl caught in the crossfire, a Nats ballgame was disrupted.

Deh headed to Ferguson.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”