Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Seacoaster(1)

Re: World Soccer

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Man U?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:50 pmMan U?
A lifeless, inept outing at Brentford; and when your goalie plays that poorly, it can be demoralizing for the rest of the squad. The game was over early as a contest. A sad day for a "big-name" club.

I was kind of surprised that Man United didn't get Pochettino as their manager. Although he didn't win a trophy at Spurs, he certainly revived their fortunes and got them to a Champions League final. Years before ten Hag, right after Moyes, Man U had van Gaal as manager. Like ten Hag, he made his name at Ajax, where his teams played delightful football and won the Champions League. But the Ajax style is engrained in the club, taught to the young apprentice players, maybe so much so that the manager's job is easy. All of Man U's success under Alex Ferguson sorta turned Man U into a big, corporate business, and now the product on the pitch just isn't measuring up. Maybe Eriksen is wishing he's stayed put at Brentford.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:02 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:50 pmMan U?
A lifeless, inept outing at Brentford; and when your goalie plays that poorly, it can be demoralizing for the rest of the squad. The game was over early as a contest. A sad day for a "big-name" club.

I was kind of surprised that Man United didn't get Pochettino as their manager. Although he didn't win a trophy at Spurs, he certainly revived their fortunes and got them to a Champions League final. Years before ten Hag, right after Moyes, Man U had van Gaal as manager. Like ten Hag, he made his name at Ajax, where his teams played delightful football and won the Champions League. But the Ajax style is engrained in the club, taught to the young apprentice players, maybe so much so that the manager's job is easy. All of Man U's success under Alex Ferguson sorta turned Man U into a big, corporate business, and now the product on the pitch just isn't measuring up. Maybe Eriksen is wishing he's stayed put at Brentford.
Man U looked dispirited and badly organized the entire first half. No effort at proper build up, and poor defense. Really surprised at goalie's performance; he seemed like one of the brighter spots last year.

Can't wait for Spurs-Chelsea.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Man U have become the Dallas Cowboys of the EPL. They stink from the head down. Their day to day mojo is so bad that it’s gotten to the head of de Gea, normally an exceptional GK. They look more like Everton than a top four challenger.

Entertaining set of games today. West Ham sure had their chances but couldn’t even put away a PK. I was delighted to see Chelsea and Spurs only come away with one point. Chelsea out play Spurs most of the game but had a horrible defensive blunder then allow Spurs to have three straight corners, although that last one should have been a foul. Conte sure was on fire.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:22 pm Man U have become the Dallas Cowboys of the EPL. They stink from the head down. Their day to day mojo is so bad that it’s gotten to the head of de Gea, normally an exceptional GK. They look more like Everton than a top four challenger.

Entertaining set of games today. West Ham sure had their chances but couldn’t even put away a PK. I was delighted to see Chelsea and Spurs only come away with one point. Chelsea out play Spurs most of the game but had a horrible defensive blunder then allow Spurs to have three straight corners, although that last one should have been a foul. Conte sure was on fire.
I wish I had a better understanding of football field formation and the tactics involved. Apparently Tuchel used formations to advantage yesterday. Maybe Fannolax can weigh in. But, anyway, what a game at Stamford Bridge, huh? Chelsea possession advantage something like 65% to 35%. The hair pulling was way out of line.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:21 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:22 pm Man U have become the Dallas Cowboys of the EPL. They stink from the head down. Their day to day mojo is so bad that it’s gotten to the head of de Gea, normally an exceptional GK. They look more like Everton than a top four challenger.

I wish I had a better understanding of football field formation and the tactics involved. Apparently Tuchel used formations to advantage yesterday. Maybe Fannolax can weigh in. But, anyway, what a game at Stamford Bridge, huh? Chelsea possession advantage something like 65% to 35%. The hair pulling was way out of line.
First, I'm delighted for Nottingham Forest to have registered their first top-flight victory this millenium, and glad it came at the City Ground (where I witnessed a game decades ago).
I believe Spurs playing three in central defense and two wing-backs contributed to allowing Chelsea to dominate the central midfield, where Chelsea outnumbered Spurs and got strong performances from Kante, Jorginho, and others. For Spurs, Hojbjerg scored a nice goal (albeit of dubious origins) but he and Betancur generally failed to control the midfield. Chelsea probably deserved to win, but Tottenham showed un-Spursy grit to salvage a draw.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Tottenham Hotspur managed to pick up three points via a surprisingly difficult 1-0 win over Wolves. In my opinion, Spurs still suffer from the rapid demise of Dele Alli. Traditionally, the lilywhites have had terrific creative midfielders like Hoddle, Ardiles, Gascoigne, Modric and yes, Dele Alli; but since Dele's performances have fallen off a cliff leading to his departure to Everton (and maybe on to Turkey!), Spurs have lacked a quality creative midfielder. Chelsea exploited that last weekend and deserved all three points. As it is, Spurs have been picking up points, but not playing the sort of glory, glory footy that die-head fans like me have come to expect.
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:52 am Tottenham Hotspur managed to pick up three points via a surprisingly difficult 1-0 win over Wolves. In my opinion, Spurs still suffer from the rapid demise of Dele Alli. Traditionally, the lilywhites have had terrific creative midfielders like Hoddle, Ardiles, Gascoigne, Modric and yes, Dele Alli; but since Dele's performances have fallen off a cliff leading to his departure to Everton (and maybe on to Turkey!), Spurs have lacked a quality creative midfielder. Chelsea exploited that last weekend and deserved all three points. As it is, Spurs have been picking up points, but not playing the sort of glory, glory footy that die-head fans like me have come to expect.
Dele Alli was looking like a star until Mourinho came aboard and he hasn’t been the same since. Fortunate for Spurs that Wolves are off to a slow start. Interesting that after just two weeks of the season there are only two teams with 2 wins Man City and Arsenal). Gabriel Jesus is the best thing to happen to Arsenal since RvP. His play has been exceptional.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Leeds United over Chelsea. Call me surprised.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:02 pm Leeds United over Chelsea. Call me surprised.
Thee nil scoreline made it especially surprising. Newcastle taking a 3-1 lead over Man City also qualifies as a surprise, although City came back and tied it. There are a lot of quality players up and down the EPL.
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:33 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:02 pm Leeds United over Chelsea. Call me surprised.
Thee nil scoreline made it especially surprising. Newcastle taking a 3-1 lead over Man City also qualifies as a surprise, although City came back and tied it. There are a lot of quality players up and down the EPL.
Two very exciting games to watch and it show how difficult the EPL is. Leeds getting rid of former coach Bielsa was the best thing the club did. The media loved his fast forward style of offense but the were regularly getting torched for easy goal and killing their GD in a tight race for relegation last year. Marsch has created an aggressive yet balanced formation that’s already reaping rewards as in the case of their stunning defeat of Chelsea. Shout out to Philly boy, Brenden Aaronson who had a great game in his first season with the club at age 21. I’m not impressed with Chelsea coach Tuchel. I don’t think he gets the best out his players with his over manipulation.

Despite the draw, it was a excellent game by Newcastle, despite their defensive weak spell in the second half. Newcastles Saint Maximin is really something to watch. Not likely to break into the top four, but they’ll be knocking on the door. Good to see two great fanbases have their day.

Three weeks in and only one team with three victories.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:16 am
FannOLax wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:33 pm
Two very exciting games to watch and it show how difficult the EPL is. Leeds getting rid of former coach Bielsa was the best thing the club did. The media loved his fast forward style of offense but the were regularly getting torched for easy goal and killing their GD in a tight race for relegation last year. Marsch has created an aggressive yet balanced formation that’s already reaping rewards as in the case of their stunning defeat of Chelsea. Shout out to Philly boy, Brenden Aaronson who had a great game in his first season with the club at age 21. I’m not impressed with Chelsea coach Tuchel. I don’t think he gets the best out his players with his over manipulation.

Despite the draw, it was a excellent game by Newcastle, despite their defensive weak spell in the second half. Newcastles Saint Maximin is really something to watch. Not likely to break into the top four, but they’ll be knocking on the door. Good to see two great fanbases have their day.

Three weeks in and only one team with three victories.
And Liverpool with no wins, after losing to Man U today. Wow.

AS, I was really impressed with Newcastle. And that St. Maximin was a scourge all over the field.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

So by losing losing to The Team In Big Trouble and finding themselves with no wins and near the bottom of the table, does Liverpool become The Team in Big Trouble? Or does this dubious honor go to West Ham, with zero points from three games? It's still early days, and I hope there are lots more surprises in the EPL!
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:24 pm So by losing losing to The Team In Big Trouble and finding themselves with no wins and near the bottom of the table, does Liverpool become The Team in Big Trouble? Or does this dubious honor go to West Ham, with zero points from three games? It's still early days, and I hope there are lots more surprises in the EPL!
Liverpool doesn’t look threatening at all. I don’t know how they’re supposed to be a better team this year without their best player, Mane. The Hammers have had some tough luck with a lot of shots hitting the wood, but they still give up goals too easily. Beating lifeless Liverpool doesn’t end Man U’s problems. They’ve got a ways to go.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Jesus!

Gabriel Jesus to be more specific. He's been great. As an Arsenal fan I am now sucked back in and have set myself up for another disappointment.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:24 pm So by losing losing to The Team In Big Trouble and finding themselves with no wins and near the bottom of the table, does Liverpool become The Team in Big Trouble? Or does this dubious honor go to West Ham, with zero points from three games? It's still early days, and I hope there are lots more surprises in the EPL!
I'm going with the Hammers as The Team in Big Trouble ("TBT"). But Liverpool misses Mane.

I think Arsenal's next four or five games are completely winnable; the Gunners look good, and agree, De Jesus has given them an energy and skillset in the box that they didn't have last year.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Thoughts on the Champions League brackets?

How exhausted are these athletes going to be by the end of this year?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:11 pm Thoughts on the Champions League brackets?

How exhausted are these athletes going to be by the end of this year?
Regarding exhausted athletes, there will be two categories: those on World Cup squads playing in Qatar, with everyone else being in the other category. Those not going to Qatar should be fine. Those going to Qatar, well, they'll be taxed; how severely is an open question, and this World Cup is the first to be played during the normal European regular season.

Too many teams in the Champions League, meaning the group stage tends to be a money-making formality. Chelsea and Spurs look to have it fairly cushy given the brackets, but the real fun starts in the knock-out stage.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Crisis, what crisis?? A week ago, the Manchester United faithful were marching in the strrets and there were fears that the Man U game against Liverpool would be disrupted by protests. Then the Red Devils beat their old Liverpudlian rivals, followed by a clean-sheet win away on the south coast. Crisis definitively over. That loss to Man United left doubts about Liverpool, but those were emphatically swept aside as Liverpool thrashed Bournemouth 9-0. West Ham started the day with no points, but a fortunate deflection was enough to take all three points at Villa Park; so crisis averted, at least for now. So, what crisis? I'd suggest Leicester, who lost at Chelsea despite playing the majority of the game with 11 players versus Chelsea's ten; moreover, Leicester find themselves with a solitary point from four games.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”