World Soccer

General Chatter
Matnum PI

World Soccer

Post by Matnum PI »

Curious, any world soccer fans? National team play. Club soccer in Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy, Germany, England. Champions League. Copa Libertadores.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ohmilax34

Re: World Soccer

Post by ohmilax34 »

I'm a big soccer fan. I enjoy the USMNT, Arsenal, World Cup, Euros, Champions League, Europa League (only because Arsenal is in it). I'm not in an MLS city, so I'm not a huge MLS fan, but I will watch some games.

Anyone know good websites for soccer analytics? Also good soccer podcasts? Men In Blazers are caricatures of themselves now, Arseblog is funny, but isn't quite smart enough with stats, statsbomb is a decent site with a decent podcast focused on numbers.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

i dont do stats so much but for podcasts, i like football weekly, sometimes espn fc, and, though much more of the media angle than the actual game, world soccer talk.
Caddy Day
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Was into world soccer for many moons but got tired of all the simulations (fake injuries & fake fouls) that really screw up the game for me. Used to watch Soccer Made In Germany, Domenica Sportiva, Futbol de Mexico, EPL, and other broadcasts but the international game no longer means all that much to me. Will watch Olympic, World Cup, and Champions League when it's on.

Nowadays I mostly watch high school soccer which, as with most sports, remains my favorite level of athletic competition.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

the video reviews will help with the fishing for fouls. you could see a change during the World,Cup.
Caddy Day
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Europa League: Arsenal.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Matnum PI wrote:the video reviews will help with the fishing for fouls. you could see a change during the World,Cup.

I've read where leagues have imposed retroactive penalties for simulations after VAR (video assistant replay) was used and the plays reviewed by panels. But, so far, I have not seen any proof that the system has come near to ending the culture of cheating.

While Alexei Lalas sees such trickery as "skill" I see it as crap and an embarrassment to soccer and all sports. I'll be glad if FIFA and all other governing bodies get rid of it altogether.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

watched the end of the Rangers-Celtics match with the Teddy Bears winning 1-0 ~ first win since 2012

While I have always enjoyed the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry, this football match up is far more intense with many more fights breaking out among fans. Teams are now tied in SPL.

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Major football/soccer fan here. Lived a decade in South America, played there. ¡Colo Colo es Chile! (También la U, la U Católica y Unión Española.) Long-suffering Tottenham Hotspur fan (yes, with some glory, glory moments thrown into the mix to keep me hooked); was in London this past November and visited Selhurst Park to see Spurs beat Crystal Palace. Also like Ajax, follow Champions' League and Copa Libertadores, liga mexicana, etc.
2Pontificate

Post by 2Pontificate »

Matnum PI wrote:Curious, any world soccer fans? National team play. Club soccer in Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy, Germany, England. Champions League. Copa Libertadores.
After 45 years of reffing Lacrosse, I decided my Fall needed some extra reasons to exercise. So naturally, I have started to ref soccer. Had a great time and have been simply amazed by how far the youth game has advanced since I played 55 years ago and now. Elementary school boys and girls are doing things that I could not have dreamed of even trying, much less doing. With this new challenge I naturally started watching professional and collegiate soccer on TV and have been both amazed and disgusted. Amazed by the talent, and at the professional level, (BEGIN RANT) disgusted by the bad sportsmanship. Players do anything and everything because they know the refs have been directed to keep the stars on the field. (END RANT)
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Fann, every four years, who do you root for? Chile?

2Pont, I hear you. But like with everything, I let the nonsense float by and I focus intently when the beautiful game starts to shine. Few things make me happier than a skillful combination on the field. Especially if it finishes with a goal. I'm a simple man.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, this last time around, England (Chile didn't qualify). When Chile is there, yes. I just can't get into MLS or the US national team. The World Cup is fun, but also rather over-hyped, and I think the quality of play of the top leagues is better... but there is nothing quite like the passion of the World Cup, the excitement.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Chile's absence was disappointing. They were missed. I also can't get into the MLS. US National Team is different. I love them but, for obvious and less obvious reasons, not so much recently. Nothing tops the World Cup. Nothing.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Pretty amazing to live in South America through several World Cups. On games days (even when wasn't Chile playing) everything else stops and the games are all that matter. Department stores sold out of TV sets (because people bought them for the office; they ended up being raffled off and at the end of the World Cup taken home). During the World Cup or even important league games with Chileans playing, when a Chilean scored, in my home I would be one of thousands of people simultaneously yelling "GOOOOOAL!" and it just sounded amazing. Nothing quite like the high of being in a packed soccer stadium of 70,000 people when both sets of supporters sing at the top of their lungs....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

As a boy, I was in Rio for the 1970 World Cup. https://vimeo.com/279880527
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

European Champions League is always interesting. Looks like Dortmund went off-form at just the right time for Tottenham. Interesting days in England, interesting days.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bayern v. Liverpool in the Round of 16?! It's amazing. The great games start in the Round of 16. Amazing.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I was surprised by the goalless draw in Liverpool; but yes, two awfully big names facing off in the first knock-out round.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hey Reg...Reg...What did ya say to him?

http://www.espn.com/soccer/atletico-mad ... ees-mother
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

champions league has been excellent...
Caddy Day

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”