NFL

General Chatter
kramerica.inc

Re: NFL

Post by kramerica.inc »

Eli is hilarious. Caught this one the other night, and it made me roll.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1442678600038162434
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Re Eli, his replacement Daniel Jones seems to have the same limitation ~ inability (or unwillingness) to roll out in order to buy time for himself. The added time would allow receivers to get free from the secondary, and it may allow him to possibly run downfield to get some yardage. I wonder is this volitional or has the coach told him to stay in the pocket??

Giants offense is too predictable. You don't see half back options, reversals, uneven lines with double TE, or single wing. They need far more offensive creativity and far less predictability.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Ode to "Cheatin' Bill" Belichick

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

"Much like Tom Landry decades ago, Bill Belichick mystique is falling apart
Opinion by Mac Engel

Hall of Fame coaches are made by great players, and Bill Belichick should have quit the moment Tom Brady “retired” to Florida. Few coaches in the history of sport have been made by one player the way Belichick, and the ensuing mystique, were built by one guy. No “great coach” has been made by one player like Unbeatable Bill.

Phil Jackson had Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, and then later Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal. Gregg Popovich had Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginoboli. Jimmy Johnson had Troy, Michael and Emmitt. But credit Belichick and his staff for drafting, developing and putting Brady in the game decades ago. Hard stop on the Patriots’ dynasty being more Belichick than Brady.

On Sunday in New England, the Dallas Cowboys did their best to give Belichick a win but Beatable Bill and his Patriots blew it. Despite multiple turnovers in the end zone, among other screwups during the game, the Cowboys defeated the Patriots in New England, 35-29, in overtime. The Patriots with Tom Brady don’t lose this game. Of course, the Patriots with Tom Brady hardly lost any games.

The Patriots with only Bill Belichick lose plenty of games. Belichick, 69, now looks like a man he once revered, Tom Landry. As the Cowboys ascend, the Patriots are in the unfamiliar territory of descending not to mediocrity, but becoming the Cleveland Browns under Bill Belichick. It has been so long since Belichick was the head coach of the Browns you need a reminder that in his five years there he was 36-44 (.450). Without Tom Brady as his starting quarterback, Belichick’s record is that of a coach who should be fired multiple times. Shout out to the good folks of the Elias Sports Bureau who double-checked my math for the following of a head coach whose career record is 282-140 (.670).

The Patriots are currently 2-4, and it looks like Belichick will now have two winning records in eight seasons without Brady — Cleveland in 1994 and New England in 2008, when Brady missed nearly the entire season with a knee injury. Coach Belichick is now 27-32 with the Patriots in games that Brady didn’t start; 63-76 overall in games that Brady didn’t start. Coach Belichick’s winning percentage in Cleveland was .450. Coach Belichick’s winning percentage in New England without Brady is .457. For 20 years the Patriots were the NFL’s dynasty, with Bill and Brady complementing each other to create the most feared pair since Bonnie and Clyde. (And, no, I don’t know who would be Bonnie and who would be Clyde.)

The NFL’s previous dynasty belonged to the Dallas Cowboys, which unofficially ended in January of 1996, with the team’s last Super Bowl win — and their last Super Bowl appearance or even NFC title game appearance for that matter. All dynasties end, and some coaches are able to get out before it all becomes Rome aflame. Phil did with the Bulls. Jimmy Johnson did with the Dallas Cowboys, although he left prematurely. Scotty Bowman left his Detroit Red Wings dynasty right on time in 2002. Pop’ hangs on in San Antonio, where he could finish 0-82 and still his legacy would remain intact. Landry hung on too long. Before he was fired by Jerry Jones, Landry had presided over a team that posted three straight losing seasons, and were 17-30 over that span. He was 64 in his final season with the Cowboys.

Once Brady left New England to sign with Tampa Bay, even the most loyal of Belichick backers knew a slide was coming. And when Belichick committed to rookie Mac Jones to be his starting quarterback this season, it was the clearest indication the franchise was rebuilding. Against the Cowboys, and other opponents this season, Jones looks legit. There are also no guarantees. No one would know this more than Bill Belichick. He’s not a dummy. He’s just not a genius. His genius was Tom Brady. The record is conclusive."

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Agree in general but hate giving it all to Brady. He left because they weren’t signing enough talent and TB was loaded except QB. And they still has to sign Gronk and AB. Look at the yeomans work Mahomes did, nearly making passes with TB defensive players giving him a proctor kit exam while he’s falling to the ground. Football is an absolute team sport. Brady helped but even he would admit he can’t win without enough talent around him, which is his stated reason for leaving .
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:37 am Agree in general but hate giving it all to Brady. He left because they weren’t signing enough talent and TB was loaded except QB. And they still has to sign Gronk and AB. Look at the yeomans work Mahomes did, nearly making passes with TB defensive players giving him a proctor kit exam while he’s falling to the ground. Football is an absolute team sport. Brady helped but even he would admit he can’t win without enough talent around him, which is his stated reason for leaving .
Where did Brady state that?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:37 am Agree in general but hate giving it all to Brady. He left because they weren’t signing enough talent and TB was loaded except QB. And they still has to sign Gronk and AB. Look at the yeomans work Mahomes did, nearly making passes with TB defensive players giving him a proctor kit exam while he’s falling to the ground. Football is an absolute team sport. Brady helped but even he would admit he can’t win without enough talent around him, which is his stated reason for leaving .
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com ... aily-cover

He out on his list of 20 things “a good team” and the priests were not one. His writing. Values collaboration. Also his words. And it’s documented he wanted AB in NE then gets him at TB. Gronk out of retirement. But the bucs were pretty stacked and the defense, particularly Devin White did a lot of heavy lifting putting KC down and the entire playoff run.

Brady is great, even if a bit of a pretty boy for me (Namath same way not as good at football, Dan Marino in this cohort too). But he isn’t going to turn every team into a super bowl winner. It’s a team game, that’s my point. It’s insane, as a corollary, that Suh didn’t win the heisman his last year in college because we ascribe too much to QBs
See Martin, Malcolm
OuttaNowhereWregget

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:19 am

He out on his list of 20 things “a good team” and the priests were not one. His writing. Values collaboration. Also his words. And it’s documented he wanted AB in NE then gets him at TB. Gronk out of retirement. But the bucs were pretty stacked and the defense, particularly Devin White did a lot of heavy lifting putting KC down and the entire playoff run.

Brady is great, even if a bit of a pretty boy for me (Namath same way not as good at football, Dan Marino in this cohort too). But he isn’t going to turn every team into a super bowl winner. It’s a team game, that’s my point. It’s insane, as a corollary, that Suh didn’t win the heisman his last year in college because we ascribe too much to QBs
I don’t have time at this point to read the article. Can you quote from the article where Brady said he left the Pats because of lack of good talent around him?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:45 am

I don’t have time at this point to read the article. Can you quote from the article where Brady said he left the Pats because of lack of good talent around him?
Cut and paste was a complain but he wrote a list of 20 things he wanted and presented publicly and “a good team” was one of them. (Along with being close to his kid w Bridgette Moynihan who’s in NYC among other items”. It’s been discussed a million times as well. The team around him increasingly sucked and his input was rarely welcomed.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:47 am

Cut and paste was a complain but he wrote a list of 20 things he wanted and presented publicly and “a good team” was one of them. (Along with being close to his kid w Bridgette Moynihan who’s in NYC among other items”. It’s been discussed a million times as well. The team around him increasingly sucked and his input was rarely welcomed.
Billichick's genius had faded considerably. Tom covered up a lot of shortcomings.

The question is, how long will Kraft wallow in obscurity before making a move?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:11 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:47 am

Billichick's genius had faded considerably. Tom covered up a lot of shortcomings.

Depends on how many rub and tugs get shut down over the next few years.
See Martin, Malcolm
OuttaNowhereWregget

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:11 am Billichick's genius had faded considerably. Tom covered up a lot of shortcomings.

That’s the key question.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:46 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:11 am Billichick's genius had faded considerably. Tom covered up a lot of shortcomings.

That’s the key question.
When Brady left, the talk was that Bill had a job in NE for as long as he wants it.
The reality is, I'm not sure Bill will want to keep coaching if he keeps losing, and I don't think Kraft will tolerate it for that long either.
You'll know the clock is ticking if you see the headline, "Belichick decides to hire GM..."
OuttaNowhereWregget

In the world of TV ratings, the NFL remains in a league of its own

Sports Media
In the world of TV ratings, the NFL remains in a league of its own
By Chad Finn Boston Globe Staff, October 23, 2021

Whenever readers ask how a game from another sport — even much-anticipated events such as a Red Sox postseason game or a Celtics or Bruins season opener, for recent examples — fared against a Patriots broadcast in the Nielsen ratings, I try to offer one particular reminder:

NFL games are so far ahead of other sports in viewership that there is really no comparison to be made at all. NFL games should be compared not with sports but with all other television programs across all networks. And even then, guess what? The NFL wins in a blowout.

The latest, but hardly the only, evidence of this came this past week when the NFL updated its viewership data through the season’s first six weeks. Since the season began with the Cowboys-Buccaneers kickoff game on Sept. 9, NFL game broadcasts have accounted for the 33 most-watched programs on television.

Not just NFL games. Not just sporting events. Programs. NFL games are the most-watched content on television.

Through six weeks, national NFL broadcasts are averaging 16.6 million viewers, up 11 percent over the same stretch from last season. I actually thought that number would be higher given how comparatively unappealing live sports were on television when fans weren’t permitted in stadiums during that stretch of the COVID-19 pandemic.

But it still counts as significant growth. And if someone still insists on comparing it with playoff baseball, here is one data point that should provide context: ESPN and ESPN2′s broadcast of the Red Sox-Yankees Wild Card Game drew the largest audience for any baseball game on the network since 1998. How many viewers did it draw? An average of 7.7 million — an outstanding number, and yet less than half of what the NFL is averaging for its national regular-season broadcasts.

Of note locally: Two of the four most-watched NFL games this season involved the Patriots: Their 19-17 loss to Tom Brady and the Buccaneers in Week 4 on NBC’s “Sunday Night Football,” which is first with 26.7 million viewers on average; and last Sunday’s 35-29 overtime loss to the Cowboys on CBS, which is fourth (23.2 million).

Others in the top five: Cowboys-Buccaneers, NBC, Week 1 (second, 24.8 million); Cowboys-Chargers, CBS, Week 2 (third, 24.3 — Dallas remains the league’s biggest draw); and Buccaneers-Rams, Week 3, Fox (fifth, 22.6).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He’s not NFL but our two beat LBs just knocked two QBs out of a game last sat. This hit at the end, both of which were deemed legal in a game where we were penalized 10 times for 95 yards so they were flag happy, is the lesser of the two.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HWSAthletics ... _src=twsrc

Courtesy of Bryan Aguilar (should be a D3 AA but will be 1st team LL at least and min 2nd team all region)

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... ilar/16138

And…

AA little killer from S Boston named Emmett Forde.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... orde/16161

Wish they could play close D for the Cuse and Cornell games!

(Apologies to SLU who’s going to have their third string QB playing next week or rest of season)
See Martin, Malcolm
DMac

Post by DMac »

NFL is king of the jungle, cock of the roost, and king of the hill all wrapped up in one and it's really mind boggling when you look at the product. It's a ridiculously slow game coached by people who are deficient in creativity and innovation. The game is highly predictable and stuck in conservative mode. BTW, these are the people who will tell us we need to speed lacrosse up and do away with the face off. The best thing to happen to football in a long time is Peyon and Eli on MNF, these two are terrific and highly entertaining. Football begs for this kind of show rather than the same o', same o' we get from everyone else. Tom Terrific their guest right now, pretty cool...hilarious, actually.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Green Bay 24
Cardinals 21

Cards QB Kyler Murray is clearly a great athlete - strong arm, powerful legs - but threw the ball to the wrong guy something like five times. The receiver never expected it and had no idea the ball was coming. Pack QB Aaron Rodgers gets 185 yards with 2 TDs.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:12 pm NFL is king of the jungle, cock of the roost, and king of the hill all wrapped up in one and it's really mind boggling when you look at the product. It's a ridiculously slow game coached by people who are deficient in creativity and innovation. The game is highly predictable and stuck in conservative mode. BTW, these are the people who will tell us we need to speed lacrosse up and do away with the face off. The best thing to happen to football in a long time is Peyon and Eli on MNF, these two are terrific and highly entertaining. Football begs for this kind of show rather than the same o', same o' we get from everyone else. Tom Terrific their guest right now, pretty cool...hilarious, actually.
You like the way Tierney (and Petro to some degree) turned the game into a coaches tight grip controlled game over the Cuse of the 80s and 90s?

Lot of football's slowness is driven by tv money. If you've been to live major college or pro games you'd see it up close in the tv timeouts and breaks. How much do you like pro lacrosse, where there's a sliver of money, compared with college, where no tv money exists (except in the minds of Bigten lacrosse fans...).
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401326450

KC over Giants 20-17

As I have said before Jints QB Jones does not have the composure to roll out & buy some time for his receivers so that he could complete more passes. If he did the offense would be a far greater threat to the opponents. A few stupid penalties at the wrong time didn't help much either.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Browns 41 Cincinnati 16

Not really missing diva Odell Beckham Jr. are they?
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”