Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
youthathletics

Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by youthathletics »

So long Bandit....I hope you are headed "North bound and down, loaded up and truckin'".

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HooDat

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by HooDat »

^^^^^ that
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

Saw an interesting piece on Burt this morning

Apparently he passed on the role of Hans Solo because he was "too busy" and talked himself out of the role of James Bond by telling the casting agent "An American can't play Bond. It should be an Englishman."

:shock: :shock: :shock:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Rapper Mac Miller Dead At 26

Evidently, Arianna Grande's "ex"... a sad tale that may have lead to an apparent suicide...too early to know...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

Looks like an OD. Recovering addicts are always succeptible. Too bad.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

LaxDog wrote:Saw an interesting piece on Burt this morning

Apparently he passed on the role of Hans Solo because he was "too busy" and talked himself out of the role of James Bond by telling the casting agent "An American can't play Bond. It should be an Englishman."

:shock: :shock: :shock:
While hard for me to fully imagine now, I think he would have made a great Solo.

I think he made the right decision re: Bond.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Jeff Lowe, a longtime force and pioneer in the world of mountaineering and ice climbing:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/obit ... Obituaries
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

#25 Tommy McDonald. 2X National Champion with Oklahoma and NFL HOF representing Philadelphia Eagles. 5’9” receiver. Spirited and tough as nails.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2478 ... ies-age-84
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote:#25 Tommy McDonald. 2X National Champion with Oklahoma and NFL HOF representing Philadelphia Eagles. 5’9” receiver. Spirited and tough as nails.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2478 ... ies-age-84

Awesome player! To me, the game was much more fun back then and it was a treat to watch TM.

As a Giants fan, I've always had great disdain for those Eglets - but it was and remains a respectful disdain. Tommy M will now Fly Eagles Fly to gridiron Heaven with all those greats from the past.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Single bar face mask, tilted down around his breastbone.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DMac

Post by DMac »

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote:Marty Balin, 76.
Liked this guy, couple of my favorites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8izf-oXY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlUc6l ... kI&index=4
+1
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Lax Fidelis

Post by Lax Fidelis »

John Gagliardi, winningest college FB coach ever

"John Gagliardi, the former head coach of Division III St. John's (Minn.), died at 91 on Sunday morning, six years after he ended his 60-year career with the Johnnies in 2012.
Gagliardi is the winningest coach in college football history, accumulating 489 victories in his 64-year career. He ended his tenure with St. John's sporting a 489–138–11 all-time record, winning 77 percent of his games.

"John Gagliardi was not only an extraordinary coach, he was also an educator of young men and builder of character," St. John's President Michael Hemesath said in a statement. "John inspired deep and enduring loyalty and passion among his players across the decades because he taught them lessons through the medium of football that served them well in their personal and professional lives long after graduating from Saint John's University. His is a legacy any educator would be extremely proud of."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

John Gagliardi

Yes, it is true in that he did inspire much loyalty among his athletes. But "builder of character" ? Hmmm ....

I've known several of his disciples/opponents over the years and watched him from the sidelines. For a guy who has such a fine reputation, he could use profanities as easily as he could breath. In fact there were a number of complaints by folks in the school and elsewhere over his misbehavior. I will never forget a chat I had with an alumnus while watching a baseball game at the University of Minnesota who had made a complaint over his foul language - somehow Gagliardi learned it was him who made this complaint and returned the favor by cursing him out. Thus, contrary to the teachings of his Catholic school, the coach's words and tactics were not always kosher by some people's standards.

In recent years SJU's record has declined as Univ of St Thomas has now emerged as the MIAC's foremost football power. Perhaps some day the good old days of Johnnies football will return. Am glad to have seen so much of that era.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

LSU and Green Bay Packer hofamer Jim Taylor at 83. A league MVP in ‘62, won five NFL titles. GB plays at home tonight so there will surely be a moment for him.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018 ... jim-taylor
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Paul Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, at 65. After a battle with cancer.

Lax Fidelis

Post by Lax Fidelis »

Today marks the seventh anniversary of the passing of 2badknees. He, along with others such as artful dodger and imp, provided a far-more informed and amusing commentary on non-lax topics than the drivel being offered today. A ROTC grad of Dickinson College and a career Army officer who got his start as a artillery forward observer in Nam, he learned many languages (and was prone to using them in his posts), likely served as a spook later in his career. He retired as an LTC. We broke bread several times over the years.

As of now, this is my swan song. Very dissatisfied with the tenor of many posters and the excessive tolerance shown by Matt B.
ardilla secreta

Dennis Hof at 72. Proprietor of Bunny Ranch and other legal brothels. A man of immaculate moral character who died near the presence of Ron Jeremy, Joe Arpaio, Grover Norquist. A man of such fine character, despite sexual abuse accusations, is expected to be elected to Nevada public office on the support of evangelicals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/us/d ... ctionfront
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2495 ... er-dies-96

Somehow, I missed this bit of sad news as Tex Winter recently passed. Amazing bball coach.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”