Bourbon

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm A friend works for Dell. They are having a Virtual Happy Hour via Zoom. Sent them all a bottle of High West Double Rye and 2 Romeo y Julietas.
My kinda place to work for!
indeed....just hope it’s not a parting gift. :lol:
Down to my final pour or two of HW double rye. It’s a nice pour for a very reasonable price.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:30 pm A friend works for Dell. They are having a Virtual Happy Hour via Zoom. Sent them all a bottle of High West Double Rye and 2 Romeo y Julietas.
Down to my final pour or two of HW double rye. It’s a nice pour for a very reasonable price.
Covid has moved whiskey nerd-dom to light speed. It's crazy. The number of whiskey clubs and podcasts making barrel picks have multiplied exponentially.

My job of selling whiskey is about 1000% easier than it was just 10 years ago. It's crazy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 pm
Covid has moved whiskey nerd-dom to light speed. It's crazy. The number of whiskey clubs and podcasts making barrel picks have multiplied exponentially.

My job of selling whiskey is about 1000% easier than it was just 10 years ago. It's crazy.
Was just chatting about this with friends. Everyone working at home, going stir crazy, has people coming out of the woodwork hunting down bourbons, allocated and unicorns. There are crews running computer bots to scan ABC web site inventories to be the first to know when new stocks are dropping each morning.

We just had 3-4 stores with 30 miles of each other, have Store picks of Eagle Rare, selling them for 2-3x the MSRP price at $50-75/bottle.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:13 pm

Was just chatting about this with friends. Everyone working at home, going stir crazy, has people coming out of the woodwork hunting down bourbons, allocated and unicorns. There are crews running computer bots to scan ABC web site inventories to be the first to know when new stocks are dropping each morning.

We just had 3-4 stores with 30 miles of each other, have Store picks of Eagle Rare, selling them for 2-3x the MSRP price at $50-75/bottle.
The great thing is, is that this is creating hundreds of thousands of lifelong whiskey fans out of thin air. This isn't a bubble. You cats are gonna stick around. And because you're all going stir crazy? You're devouring whiskey knowledge as fast as you can.

It's a great time to be a whiskey fan, no question there.....
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

It doesn't surprise me you have people hunting whiskeys with technology these days. Sounds similar to the sporting event and concert ticket market. Lots of people buying up stock before it really hits the shelves or consumer market. That's too bad and a little sad. But not much you can do about it.

The best bit of advice I can give to whiskey appreciators is to shop local if you can. And try not to be a demanding jerk. But that's not as easy as you think.

Most of the best bottles I've gotten have been right in my back yard.

Had a great experience in January. There's a special place in my heart for the owner of my local liquor store. He doesn't get a ton of rare bottles. So we are often stuck with the same things. There are some bottles that are more prolific down south, that we just don't see very often in NE MD. One that I'm partial to is Weller. You can find it pretty easily south of MD, but I haven't been travelling too much lately with Covid.

Anyway, I was browsing my local store the other day and some guy comes in, asks to see the owner, and asks if he has any Weller Full Proof. Adds that he'd "settle" for any Antique that he has. Owner told him sorry, he never gets it in. Guy leaves in a slightly disappointed huff.

After he walks out, the owner laughs, sees me still browsing and asks, "You want any Weller? That guy comes in here every couple weeks asking for exotic whiskeys but never buys anything else. I see you in here every week." He sold me a bottle of Weller Antique he had in the back for $50.

Made me and my Dad's day. It was a nice treat.

I don't know if I should be proud of that story...or go to a meeting.

:D :D :D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Nice pickup kram, what a great story, one that is probably not that uncommon...you just happened to see it in action.

Cheers!
~Livy
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The craze of bourbon, is it Broken? I suppose it depends if you are a consumer, distiller, distributer, etc, etc: https://www.bourbonbanter.com/banter/is ... Fte8q6Sm01

Distillers are loading up: https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/dri ... FtfcFVKi00
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 am The craze of bourbon, is it Broken? I suppose it depends if you are a consumer, distiller, distributer, etc, etc: https://www.bourbonbanter.com/banter/is ... Fte8q6Sm01
It's funny for me to read this, because these are people complaining about themselves.

The vast, vast, vast majority of the folks into the unicorn bottles just got into whiskey about 5 years ago.

They are the reason that bottles are allocated.

They are the reason that distillers are coming out with fun bottlings.

My advice to them? Stop complaining, stop sucking the fun out of a fun hobby, and find the bottles----of which there are plenty----that you enjoy! And the best advice? Drink your whiskey blind----you'll be surprised to find what you REALLY like, and what you don't.
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 am Distillers are loading up: https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/dri ... FtfcFVKi00
This is incredibly risky...and is how distilleries go under.

Brown Forman? They were hurt by the EU tariffs so bad....that they had to sell and entire distillery in Canada to pick up some cash last year.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agreed, 'complaining about themselves'....that was the intent, I believe it was a passive way of saying, you effed this up yourself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:42 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:49 am The craze of bourbon, is it Broken? I suppose it depends if you are a consumer, distiller, distributer, etc, etc: https://www.bourbonbanter.com/banter/is ... Fte8q6Sm01
It's funny for me to read this, because these are people complaining about themselves.

The vast, vast, vast majority of the folks into the unicorn bottles just got into whiskey about 5 years ago.

They are the reason that bottles are allocated.

They are the reason that distillers are coming out with fun bottlings.

My advice to them? Stop complaining, stop sucking the fun out of a fun hobby, and find the bottles----of which there are plenty----that you enjoy! And the best advice? Drink your whiskey blind----you'll be surprised to find what you REALLY like, and what you don't.
Yes x100!

My advice is to then pick a favorite, and start exploring by either distiller or mash bill.

Like (INSERT NAME) brand, try other things they distill. Like something that is low rye, high rye or wheated? Try other things that are the same.

Go up and down the ladder, price-wise too. There are a lot of fine drams up and down the price scale.

So many good ones out there. Lots of talented distillers and people. Don't believe all the hype and packaging.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Imagine trying to sort through all this to figure out what to use in your spirit......good grief. https://www.distillerytrail.com/blog/th ... es-flavor/
~Livy
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A few months back, my son's new girlfriend told me she was going to be visiting Denver, so I told her to swing by Leopold Brothers and enjoy their offerings. She returned from her 30 days of leave with an unexpected gift, shown below. She is certainly a keeper in my book. :D

~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Caution don't play with kids around.

This is laugh out loud funny.

~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

Fawn is just amazing.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:59 pm A few months back, my son's new girlfriend told me she was going to be visiting Denver, so I told her to swing by Leopold Brothers and enjoy their offerings. She returned from her 30 days of leave with an unexpected gift, shown below. She is certainly a keeper in my book. :D

Ack! Next time, tell me she's coming!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:59 pm A few months back, my son's new girlfriend told me she was going to be visiting Denver, so I told her to swing by Leopold Brothers and enjoy their offerings. She returned from her 30 days of leave with an unexpected gift, shown below. She is certainly a keeper in my book. :D

Dude.....congratulations!!: https://www.instagram.com/p/CV3QRaFP_Na ... _copy_link

I love their BiB and Rye....and especially their price point.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:21 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Dude.....congratulations!!: https://www.instagram.com/p/CV3QRaFP_Na ... _copy_link

I love their BiB and Rye....and especially their price point.
Thank you! Just spent a couple days at the TN distillery, doing some work with Nicole, their Master Distiller.

It's been a lot of fun.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”