Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Bart

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:37 pm Not really a hunter although I have bagged three turkeys and a pheasant....both are just crazy good.
Have never eaten deer heart but I would in a heartbeat...sorry, too irresistible. Always eat the heart
that comes with a turkey and chicken and once bought a cow heart and ate it. Very tasty stuff, heart
is definitely good. You need to get yourself some of this stuff, it's outstanding on heart...as well as
burger and just crazy good on lamb.
https://greekseasoning.com/
Bonus picture.
Those are squirrel tails on the left and there were a whole lot more not showing. Love shooting those
little prikks.
You eat the squirrels? I know alot of people don’t but I think cooked right they are tasty. Lightly breaded and cooked in a fryer with Buffalo sauce…. Good

I’ll look into the seasoning. I’ll also look into procuring another heart🙂
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bart wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:04 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:37 pm Not really a hunter although I have bagged three turkeys and a pheasant....both are just crazy good.
Have never eaten deer heart but I would in a heartbeat...sorry, too irresistible. Always eat the heart
that comes with a turkey and chicken and once bought a cow heart and ate it. Very tasty stuff, heart
is definitely good. You need to get yourself some of this stuff, it's outstanding on heart...as well as
Bonus picture.
Those are squirrel tails on the left and there were a whole lot more not showing. Love shooting those
little prikks.
You eat the squirrels? I know alot of people don’t but I think cooked right they are tasty. Lightly breaded and cooked in a fryer with Buffalo sauce…. Good

Nope. I've cooked 'em up a couple of different ways but just can't get too excited about them.
They make for outstanding barn cat food though, they love 'em. The 30-30 makes for real easy
eating as it filets 'em up nicely for 'em. All served with no tails, they make nice wind directionals
when tied to a stick. :D
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Bonus picture.
little prikks.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.d61781f3861 ... ImgRaw&r=0
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bart wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:04 pm
Bonus picture.
little prikks.

I would eat anything friend in wing sauce. Anything.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone know why roasted red peppers bought in a jar (presumably through a factory process for efficiency) are so expensive? Is there a time element to the process that automation can’t solve or just marketing?
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:41 pm Anyone know why roasted red peppers bought in a jar (presumably through a factory process for efficiency) are so expensive? Is there a time element to the process that automation can’t solve or just marketing?
I’d guess it’s more of a specialty item.

I purchase them all the time from BJ’s Warehouse in a 2-pack for the price of one jar at Safeway. I use them to make my pimento cheese, mix with turkey burgers, spice up eggs or red sauce.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So mostly marketing then. I need to do a costco membership with my kids getting into upper single digits these days. I’m the only one in the family who likes them-got the kids to try and my daughter took the half chewed piece out of her mouth and handed it to me…but I like it e chicken breast and mozz or mixed with goat cheese in variations.
See Martin, Malcolm
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Bart wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 am Thought I'd share this here. Do not know if any of you on this board hunt but if you do and are fortunate enough to shoot a deer do not throw away the heart. It really is a great piece of meat.

I remove the top taking the atria and the major organs. Then cut out the right ventricle. Remove the thick septum (the thick piece of meat between the R and L ventricle) and finally I cut the L ventricle in half. Clean up the inside by removing the small cordea tendenae (stings that keep the valves from prolapsing) and some of the other crud form inside. You can cook it directly here but if you do you may get a bit of an "iron" taste to the meat. If you soak it for 12 hours or so in a brine solution it removes this.

I like to cut it real thin. Cover it with Montreal steak seasoning and pan sear it butter very quick in a really hot skillet. I'd love to tell you its cast iron but at this point I do not have one so it is just a regular teflon skillet. You can eat it directly like that but I like to just put it on a roll for a sandwich.
I don’t hunt but I’d like to try deer heart. I suspect too many hunters don’t make use of the whole beast as they should. I used to be able to get beef heart and cut into strips, s&p, and grilled or in a smoking iron it is quite flavorful and tender if not over cooked. Virtually any poultry heart cooked in the same manner is also tasty.

Haven’t had squirrel in a long time but it was similar to rabbit which is very good. I have a market rabbit in my freezer that needs to come out soon.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:41 pm Anyone know why roasted red peppers bought in a jar (presumably through a factory process for efficiency) are so expensive? Is there a time element to the process that automation can’t solve or just marketing?
A lot of handling in jarred peppers. The more handling, the more cost. Jarred are never close to being as good as roasted at home which I do frequently for either salad garnish, as a tapa, use in a tortilla espanola or to make my favorite cold sauce-romesco. I quarter and place on parchment paper on sheet pan, roast at 350f and when the skin is blistered move to a container and wrap with plastic. As it cools down it continues to stream which makes the skin come off easier.
Bart

Post by Bart »

ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:47 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:40 am Thought I'd share this here. Do not know if any of you on this board hunt but if you do and are fortunate enough to shoot a deer do not throw away the heart. It really is a great piece of meat.

I remove the top taking the atria and the major organs. Then cut out the right ventricle. Remove the thick septum (the thick piece of meat between the R and L ventricle) and finally I cut the L ventricle in half. Clean up the inside by removing the small cordea tendenae (stings that keep the valves from prolapsing) and some of the other crud form inside. You can cook it directly here but if you do you may get a bit of an "iron" taste to the meat. If you soak it for 12 hours or so in a brine solution it removes this.

I like to cut it real thin. Cover it with Montreal steak seasoning and pan sear it butter very quick in a really hot skillet. I'd love to tell you its cast iron but at this point I do not have one so it is just a regular teflon skillet. You can eat it directly like that but I like to just put it on a roll for a sandwich.
I don’t hunt but I’d like to try deer heart. I suspect too many hunters don’t make use of the whole beast as they should. I used to be able to get beef heart and cut into strips, s&p, and grilled or in a smoking iron it is quite flavorful and tender if not over cooked. Virtually any poultry heart cooked in the same manner is also tasty.

Haven’t had squirrel in a long time but it was similar to rabbit which is very good. I have a market rabbit in my freezer that needs to come out soon.
I’ll take the heart. I don’t cate for liver so that stays as do the kidneys. I try to get as much off as possible. I started grinding some of the trim not used for burger into a grind to add to the dogs food. She really seems to enjoy that.

Never had a market rabbit but plenty of the “free range” variety. I like that as well but you have to be careful of the odd pellet….lol
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Make chicken wing prices great again!

Tyson’s Meat Production Falls Amid Labor Shortages
Sales grew as company shared more of the burden of higher input prices with customers

The pandemic made it hard for Tyson to find workers and raised expenses as the company paid for protective equipment and sanitation.
PHOTO: MICHAEL CONROY/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By Matt Grossman
Updated Nov. 15, 2021 9:23 am ET

SAVE

TEXT

Listen to article
Length 4 minutes

Queue
Labor challenges cut production volumes for Tyson Foods Inc. TSN +2.78% in the latest quarter, but the meat company’s sales grew year over year as it passed along higher prices to supermarkets and restaurants.

Tyson’s volume fell 11% overall in the three months through September, including a 15% decline in beef production and an 18% reduction in pork production, Tyson said Monday. In both cases, worker shortages posed a challenge as the meat company struggled to meet strong demand.

Meanwhile, Tyson raised prices by double-digit percentages across several meat categories as input costs grew, boosting Tyson’s overall sales and profits. Average beef prices rose by a third compared with last year, while pork prices were up by 38%.

The rising prices lifted Tyson’s revenue by 12% to $12.81 billion in the quarter. Earnings rose to $1.36 billion, or $3.71 a share, from $654 million, or $1.79 a share, in the same quarter last year.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
The 10-Point.

A personal, guided tour to the best scoops and stories every day in The Wall Street Journal.

PREVIEW
SUBSCRIBE
Stripping out one-time items, Tyson’s adjusted profit was $2.30 a share. The results beat the expectations of Wall Street analysts, who had been forecasting an adjusted profit of $2.22 a share on sales of $12.66 billion, according to FactSet.

Tyson’s stock was roughly flat in premarket trading Monday.

The company’s brands include Jimmy Dean, Hillshire Farm, and Ball Park as well as its self-branded products.

The meat industry, like many, has faced challenges spinning up production to meet high demand as the pandemic eases. For Tyson, hiring has been one obstacle. In August, Chief Executive Donnie King said that 10% of jobs at its plants were unfilled on any given day.

Covid-19 ravaged the industry’s workers last year during the first wave of the virus’s spread in the U.S. Staff who worked in close quarters on processing lines were especially vulnerable. A report last month by a congressional committee found that infections and deaths in the industry were approximately three times as high as earlier estimates, based on a review of Tyson and several competitors.

In August, Tyson became one of the first major corporate employers to require workers to get vaccinated, with a mandate that went into effect on Nov. 1. As of late October, 96% of Tyson workers had been vaccinated, Mr. King said. The number of infections among workers has declined significantly as more sought vaccines, he added.

In addition to making it harder to find workers, the pandemic has also raised Tyson’s expenses as the company paid for protective equipment and sanitation. In the 12 months through September, Tyson spent $335 million on such items. Those expenses have abated somewhat compared with last year, when Tyson’s Covid-19 spending was about $540 million.

In 2021, rising prices for animal feed and higher packaging and shipping costs have also added to Tyson’s expenses. The company has been raising the meat prices it charges supermarkets and restaurant customers.

The Biden administration in September said it was scrutinizing the meat industry’s competitive landscape, accusing a small group of companies such as Tyson and JBS USA Holdings Inc. of holding too much power to set beef prices. Tyson has responded by arguing that meat prices have risen because of the pandemic’s unprecedented conditions.

Along with labor shortages, severe weather also contributed to lower production in the latest quarter, Tyson said. The company cited climate conditions as a factor in lower beef and chicken production.

Tyson raised its annual dividend rate by 3%. Looking ahead, it forecast that its sales will rise in the next fiscal year to between $49 billion and $51 billion, compared with $47.05 billion in the fiscal year that just ended.

Write to Matt Grossman at [email protected]
See Martin, Malcolm
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:08 pm Make chicken wing prices great again!

Tyson’s Meat Production Falls Amid Labor Shortages
Sales grew as company shared more of the burden of higher input prices with customers
:lol: This is how utterly broken the labor side of America is.

Tyson owns nearly half the chicken market. And somehow, as if by magic, they can't manage to pay a good wage for their workers.

So what do we normally do? Oh, hire illegal workers, of course.

And people sit back, and tell us "gee whiz, we just can't turn on EVerify, and fix our immigration system. That's hard".

We are paying the price for decades of policy inaction....all in one year. Good luck, TrumpFans. Tyson just looked in your face and said: we'd rather have a shortage than pay good wages.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not sure you need illegals for chicken, and even less sure what Trump had to do with it.
Little know fact is that BHO actually deported more illegals than DJT.

My strawberries already come from Mexico about 10 months of the year and they retail for $3.00-$5.00 per pound. And I am a whole lot closer to Florida than Mexico, but I suppose the lower cost of production outweighs the shipping.
Chicken retails for more than strawberries, and they both require some special handling so I suppose they could start importing chicken also.
It would be funny if we exported chicken feed (you would know better, but I think we are a low-cost grain and soybean producer) to Mexico and imported chicken parts back.
Note for high-value meat, like lamb, we have been importing from NZ for decades.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
a fan

Post by a fan »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm Not sure you need illegals for chicken
The labor shortage disagrees. The point here is: Tyson would rather have a shortage of chicken produced, rather than raise wages for local plant employment.
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm and even less sure what Trump had to do with it.
Trump's "forgotten voters" are likely factory workers.....you're missing a bunch of context in my comment here, so best just ignore what I said on this point. ;)
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm Little know fact is that BHO actually deported more illegals than DJT.
Not little known here at the Forum. The sales pitch was that Trump scared them from even trying to enter. So Obama's deportations were higher.
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm My strawberries already come from Mexico about 10 months of the year and they retail for $3.00-$5.00 per pound. And I am a whole lot closer to Florida than Mexico, but I suppose the lower cost of production outweighs the shipping.
Always does. We've been importing half our fruits and veggies here in the US for quite some time now. It's not just strawberries.
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm Chicken retails for more than strawberries, and they both require some special handling so I suppose they could start importing chicken also
Bird flu keeps that from happening. So far, at least.....
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Having been born and growing up next to the ocean, I have always love seafood. Last night's dinner:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81v ... L1500_.jpg

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.Qyg-0bmRC ... mgDet&rs=1

buttered sea biscuit by the side and pineapple for dessert

Yum, yum!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:45 am Having been born and growing up next to the ocean, I have always love seafood. Last night's dinner:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81v ... L1500_.jpg

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.Qyg-0bmRC ... mgDet&rs=1

buttered sea biscuit by the side and pineapple for dessert

Yum, yum!
My mother, sadly, liked Red Lobster, but their biscuits are basically sprinkled with crack. The seafood? Similar to what a crackhead would eat relative to the universe of seafood...
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:54 am My mother, sadly, liked Red Lobster, but their biscuits are basically sprinkled with crack.
Those things are the bomb.....havent had one a very long time. But as a kid I could also crush those hush puppies, which I just checked are no longer on the menu.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:54 am My mother, sadly, liked Red Lobster, but their biscuits are basically sprinkled with crack. The seafood? Similar to what a crackhead would eat relative to the universe of seafood...

I have also heard that Red Lobster has gone downhill, sad to say. About 40 years ago I went to the one in Long Island that was just outside the City Line in a strip mall but which has since closed. Can't for the life of me remember offhand the name of the town or mall. But I do remember that the fare at RL was really good.

Was chatting online yesterday with a couple of NYers who lived in the Midwest for a few years. Both agreed that the seafood in this region of yokels is utterly inferior to the good stuff back East. But they also said that it isn't as good today as it used to be. Hopefully, some day the oceans will be cleaned up, the seafood industry will thrive again, and more people will learn to appreciate the greatness that is seafood.

DMac

Post by DMac »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm Chicken retails for more than strawberries, and they both require some special handling so I suppose they could start importing chicken also.

Note for high-value meat, like lamb, we have been importing from NZ for decades.
Am no expert on the subject and not trying to nit-pick or start an argument but I find that hard to believe. While chicken wings have gone (and are continuing to) nuts, chicken is still pretty cheap across the board. Often times you can find quarters for less than a buck a pound (way less, actually), legs are now $1.19/lb (up from $.99), breasts $1.69 and whole chickens are still pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure strawberries are more expensive than that in these here parts.

If you're buying lamb, do indeed buy it from the other side of the world as it is simply the best. I don't know if I've had any Kiwi lamb but I have had Downunda lamb many times (got two butterflied Aussie legs of lamb in the freezer right now) and there is definitely a difference, theirs is the best hands down.
Australian lamb, like that from New Zealand lamb, tends to come from smaller animals that have been entirely grass-fed on open pasture. It is leaner and has a deeper flavor than American lamb.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/new-zeala ... mb-2216546
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:54 am My mother, sadly, liked Red Lobster, but their biscuits are basically sprinkled with crack.
Those things are the bomb.....havent had one a very long time. But as a kid I could also crush those hush puppies, which I just checked are no longer on the menu.
Yeah I know the whole menu all too well and recall the hush puppies.

May have mentioned this before but my experience with terrible seafood also includes a year working at a Long John Silvers in HS…if you saw how the fish was packaged in the freezer…
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”