Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ardilla secreta »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:18 pm ^ they still look like they are in great shape

Over the years I've always heard that you should NOT use soap and water when cleaning your cast iron pans. Strangely, nowadays I hear just the opposite. That, indeed, you can use it such as below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zW-C0 ... Epicurious

Intro takes about 1 minute.

So far as I recall we used rock salt or some other form of highly coarse salt to clean it up. Then you use very hot water and immediately dry the pan both top and bottom. Thereafter, you put it into the oven at medium heat to completely dry the pan. Then you prime again and hang it elevated against a wall so that air passes it from every angle.

How do you keep your pans clean?
Let’s not go through this old timers way of doing things. Use the appropriate amount of dish detergent as the job requires. Detergent is NOT going to unseason or damage a cast iron or carbon steel pan. I use mine pretty much every day. If there is some burnt food on the surface I just soak in lightly soapy water for a few minutes. After cleaning I warm the vessel on the burner briefly then use a neutral oil and apply just a light coat to season and deter any corrosion.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I use soap and water after every use and Brillo Pads :o :o :o when I feel it's necessary.
Works just fine to meet my standards.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

X,
I treat it like I would a classic car.

That's a GREAT line! Much kudos to ya.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.9b0dbba1edf ... ImgRaw&r=0
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I discovered an old photo of myself with a pal whose name I've forgotten:

https://media.giphy.com/media/LTbDsSruOt96M/giphy.gif

I sure was dapper in dem days and always forgot to be a gentleman by removing my hat at table as most of my pals did back then.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

The meticulously and properly maintained cast iron pan and mine, regularly abused with soap and water even to the extreme of the abrasive steel wool soap pads. Same ingredients, both dishes prepared at the same time on the same stove, both prepared by Chef ardilla secreta. I'll be able to tell which one of those two dishes was cooked in the abused cast iron pan?

Took a trip to Wegman's this morning, Mr. Mark Down guy was scanning the meat section for sell by dates and had a nice stack of pork ribs, lamb chops, something else too but I can't remember what it was, on his cart all with mark down for quick sale stickers on them. I'm not a buyer at Wegman's for their mark downs, 25% isn't enough enticement...45-50% and I'm a buyer. The sell by date on the stuff on the cart was today so I asked the guy what he was going to do with it, mark it down some more? He said no, I'm going to throw it out, you can buy one if you want it though (that's a pretty good sales pitch, eh). I told the guy that I never buy mark downs here and why. He said, I know, other places mark them down more than we do.
So that's that, that's the mark down and if it doesn't sell at that we throw it out. I'm at the store at 9-9:30 AM, anyone else thinking if you put a 50% or more off sticker on it, it would likely be gone by noon? How 'bout if you put a, FREE-now only, sticker on it? Just looked wrong to be wheeling a stack of meat off like that to be thrown out, there's no way there's not a better way to deal with that.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

On the book thread I mentioned that I read "Mother" by Maxim Gorky. A very good read, indeed. One of the recurring symbolic themes in this sterling book was the samovar such as this:

https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/Vzn1uvYv ... 24f084.jpg

It was the instrument "Mother" used to replenish the bodies, minds, and souls of the beleaguered characters in the story. Her home often became sanctuary for those seeking to avoid the secret police and governmental authorities. They would gather round her table, discuss strategic as well as philosophical or moral matters (often the discussions were highly contentious though constructive), and they would become revitalized in their struggles against the Tsar and his oppressive regime.

An essay on samovars: https://www.thoughtco.com/russian-samovar-4771018

Do any of you folks have one in your homes?

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:22 pm The meticulously and properly maintained cast iron pan and mine, regularly abused with soap and water even to the extreme of the abrasive steel wool soap pads. Same ingredients, both dishes prepared at the same time on the same stove, both prepared by Chef ardilla secreta. I'll be able to tell which one of those two dishes was cooked in the abused cast iron pan?

Took a trip to Wegman's this morning, Mr. Mark Down guy was scanning the meat section for sell by dates and had a nice stack of pork ribs, lamb chops, something else too but I can't remember what it was, on his cart all with mark down for quick sale stickers on them. I'm not a buyer at Wegman's for their mark downs, 25% isn't enough enticement...45-50% and I'm a buyer. The sell by date on the stuff on the cart was today so I asked the guy what he was going to do with it, mark it down some more? He said no, I'm going to throw it out, you can buy one if you want it though (that's a pretty good sales pitch, eh). I told the guy that I never buy mark downs here and why. He said, I know, other places mark them down more than we do.
So that's that, that's the mark down and if it doesn't sell at that we throw it out. I'm at the store at 9-9:30 AM, anyone else thinking if you put a 50% or more off sticker on it, it would likely be gone by noon? How 'bout if you put a, FREE-now only, sticker on it? Just looked wrong to be wheeling a stack of meat off like that to be thrown out, there's no way there's not a better way to deal with that.
Christ they should donate it
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:22 pm The meticulously and properly maintained cast iron pan and mine, regularly abused with soap and water even to the extreme of the abrasive steel wool soap pads. Same ingredients, both dishes prepared at the same time on the same stove, both prepared by Chef ardilla secreta. I'll be able to tell which one of those two dishes was cooked in the abused cast iron pan?

Despite what he told you it most likely gets sent to their prepared foods kitchen where it will get cooked and have its life extended. That’s the culinary art of garde manger, using salvageable food. You can make very good food from items approaching its sell by date assuming it meets standards. A meatloaf for the take out section as an example.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Exactly what I was thinking, am glad to hear that. Why wouldn't you cook it up and put it in your prepared meals section, or cook it up and give out as free samples in the store? Many different things you can do with that food other than tossing it. I do believe there is a lot that is just tossed though. Sinful...no doubt highly regulated as to what you can and can't do with it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For Afan and any Colorado folks. Friend from childhood (younger brother of one of my best friends) is rolling out a delivery of prepared foods ready to hear business. Looks like only italian for now but I know the guy can cook (and ran some restaurants form a managerial perspective previously-went to the hotel school at Cornell then went into that side of business)

https://chefsspecialdelivery.com/?fbcli ... mLaTxILYgE
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
ardilla secreta

Saw monkfish at the market and jumped on it. Monkfish is so versatile and I usually use it in a Portuguese/Mediterranean style in a one skillet sauté with Italian/Chorizo/Linguica sausage and some type of a red peppers, onion, zucchini, mushroom combo.

In this case I opted for a classic bistro style. Cutting the monkfish in half lengthwise, then slicing into 1” medallions on the bias and prepare a la Meunière which is to dust lightly in flour. Pan sautéing in shallow oil produces a light golden brown finish. The rest of the dish is haricot vert (French green beans) and sour cream mashers. I served with a Anjou Blanc made from chenin blanc from around Angers, Loire Valley, France. It’s profile of stone fruit (peach/apricot) with rounded acidity works well with the richness of monkfish.
70385F5E-042A-4410-AAB4-77CB19A9F31E.jpeg
70385F5E-042A-4410-AAB4-77CB19A9F31E.jpeg (89.15 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
E181C64D-0932-4305-8981-6B4ED70B55CD.jpeg
E181C64D-0932-4305-8981-6B4ED70B55CD.jpeg (98.24 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
E59E15D8-5D44-4FB7-A610-EDBBF600ED19.jpeg
E59E15D8-5D44-4FB7-A610-EDBBF600ED19.jpeg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
ardilla secreta

This vintage ad for institutional food service is just hilarious. Nice to see the incarcerated, the invalids, mental-defective, and school kids get the best.

Must be wholesome if it’s declared legally edible, fire resistant, low odor, minimum vermin, digestible by most humans and comparable in quality to rodents.
89497295-DB2F-41FD-A74A-755CDCF982A5.jpeg
89497295-DB2F-41FD-A74A-755CDCF982A5.jpeg (120.07 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Looks like Taylor Pork Roll
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:54 pm Looks like Taylor Pork Roll
Loved that stuff on squishy white bread with a little yellow mustard. Of course, in 1965 we had no idea what a breakfast sandwich was but hear it is a NJ staple with egg and cheese.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Hosted a NJ-born guy at the Shore once. We brought some Taylor Pork Roll. It brought back his memories.

Philadelphia food trucks will serve egg sandwiches in the morning (usually on a Kaiser or short Hoagie roll). I typically got egg and cheese, but you can usually add bacon, ham, or Taylor Pork Roll as well.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

I ordered a baking steel, which came yesterday. I will mainly use it for pizza, including under the pan when I make "Grandma" pizza. It should help with browning. Because it is steel, it conducts and transfers heat better than a stone. I'm also going to try some rustic breads. Way cheaper than an Ooni or Breville pizza oven.

https://bakingsteel.com/products/baking-steel
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
DMac

Post by DMac »

That looks nice, x, whole lot easier clean up than a stone. Bet that works nice. Expect some ardilla secreta level of fine quality masterpieces. Send pics, please.
Not so sure I've ever had the pork roll. Must not have left me blown away if I have. Spent a few years in Jersey, The Garden State. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta have a little prick to make it. Lotta steps, does look good.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho ... &FORM=VIRE
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:20 pm That looks nice, x, whole lot easier clean up than a stone. Bet that works nice. Expect some ardilla secreta level of fine quality masterpieces. Send pics, please.
Not so sure I've ever had the pork roll. Must not have left me blown away if I have. Spent a few years in Jersey, The Garden State. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotta have a little prick to make it. Lotta steps, does look good.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ho ... &FORM=VIRE
Taylor’s Pork Roll has a following in the Phila metro, but I’ve only had it a couple times. An afterthought when one can have scrapple. Dmac, I’ve seen Taylor’s sold in upstate Wegmans.

Don’t think I’ve seen a baking steel before. Interesting concept.
ardilla secreta

Walleye Pike

Love this fish and easy to pan sauté skin side down on medium-low heat then flip for the final seconds. The filet was cut into six pieces for easier cooking and plating. I used Arborio rice to make a pilaf with diced shallots and carrots with turmeric for color.
F2E6CAD8-DB55-4BA0-B29A-0596E2EC4874.jpeg
F2E6CAD8-DB55-4BA0-B29A-0596E2EC4874.jpeg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Attachments
0A13E8EF-EB6A-4984-8DE9-A1CC1C40677B.jpeg
0A13E8EF-EB6A-4984-8DE9-A1CC1C40677B.jpeg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 976 times
ardilla secreta

Todays food quiz. What is the name of this kitchen implement and what is unique about it?
F224C434-8DC8-40C4-A3A9-64724997887B.jpeg
F224C434-8DC8-40C4-A3A9-64724997887B.jpeg (98.3 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”