Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
RedFromMI

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by RedFromMI »

Years ago a friend of my father got four tickets to see the Pistons at Cobo Hall during Lanier's rookie season. Game was against the Celtics, who won handily (~15 points).

But the seats were some of the best in the house - a row of folding chairs along the end of the court area directly adjacent to the team bench - the closest four seats in fact. I think I was still in elementary school at the time. What an experience!
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Arty Waugh - a legend in NY’s Capital District. https://altamontenterprise.com/03142022 ... -waugh?amp

Something led me to google Arty today and I found out about his recent passing. Arty coached Siena’s JV team while I was there, played goalie for years for Mohawk Lacrosse Club’s travel team and in their summer leagues, and was a frequent traveler to Vail’s summer tournaments until George Leveille started up the Lake Placid Tournaments. It’s not over-exaggerating to say Arty almost single-handedly got high school lacrosse started in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area.

And more importantly than all that he was one of the kindest, friendliest, and most generous people I’ve ever known. A true gentleman.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

James McGrath, of Shelton, who was a junior at Fairfield Prep was killed during a fight that broke out: https://www.fox61.com/article/news/loca ... d8fc59666c
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:30 pm Roger Angell.

Old school baseball guy. They don't make them like they used to.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Vangelis:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... s-obituary

Good composer. Some controversy in his time over making Columbus look like a hero thru his music.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

WARNING: Violent...

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

WARNING: Profanity...

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Andy Fletcher, Founding Member of Depeche Mode, Dies at 60.

Caddy Day
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Actor Ray Liotta,, 67

Notably portrayed mobster Henry Huill in Scorsese's classic mob movie Goodfellas and Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

gone but still timeless:

https://38bc230840c9f50584b1-d888d963ac ... goMark.jpg

https://triblive.com/aande/celebrity-ne ... ies-at-95/

Ann Turner Cook, whose cherubic baby face was known the world over as the original Gerber baby, has died. She was 95.

Gerber announced Cook’s passing in an Instagram post on Friday.

“Many years before becoming an extraordinary mother, teacher and writer, her smile and expressive curiosity captured hearts everywhere and will continue to live on as a symbol for all babies,” the company said.

Cook was 5 months old when a neighbor, artist Dorothy Hope Smith, drew a charcoal sketch of her that was later submitted for a contest Gerber was holding for a national marketing campaign for baby food.

The image was a hit, so much so that it became the company’s trademark in 1931 and has been used in all packaging and advertising since.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Earl Hebner - perhaps the most controversial official in all of sports:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.cuxI3FDvz ... &h=306&c=7

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... e53b8b195b

erratum: I have been advised that it was his twin brother Dave ~ RIP
Last edited by Brooklyn on Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Mark Shields, PBS News Hour, at 85.
Brooklyn

Tony Siragusa

Post by Brooklyn »

Tony Siragusa, former Ravens star and Fox Sports personality, dies at 55

https://townsquare.media/site/241/files ... 0&a=t&q=89

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/to ... 15333b6a61

Tony Siragusa, a Super Bowl-winning NFL defensive tackle and television personality whose massive physique was matched by his outsize public persona, has died at age 55.

The Baltimore Ravens, for whom he starred from 1997 to 2001, said he died “unexpectedly” Wednesday morning. A cause of death was not immediately made known.

Declaring that he and his wife were “stunned and heartbroken” at the news of Siragusa’s death, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said in a statement: “He was a special person and clearly one of the most popular players in Ravens history.

“Our deepest prayers and sympathies go out to Kathy, their three children and the rest of the Siragusa family,” Bisciotti added. “This is a tremendously sad day for the Baltimore Ravens. We appreciate everyone who has expressed an outpouring of support for our players, coaches and staff.”

Earlier Wednesday, the Ravens had shared news of the death of 26-year-old linebacker Jaylon Ferguson. A cause of death in his case was yet to be announced.

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay, with whose team Siragusa spent his first seven years in the NFL, had confirmed reports on Siragusa’s death that began to emerge Wednesday afternoon.

“I’m heart broken as is all of Colts Nation,” Irsay tweeted.

Nicknamed “Goose,” Siragusa achieved national fame after he left the Colts and joined the Ravens in 1997. A 6-foot-3, 330-pound nose tackle who clogged opposing running lanes, he was a key figure on a record-setting defense that helped the 2000 Ravens win Super Bowl XXXV. After proving one of the most entertaining figures during the pre-Super Bowl media day, Siragusa delivered a star turn several months later when Baltimore featured in the first season of HBO’s “Hard Knocks.”

“There was no one like Goose — a warrior on the field and a team unifier with a giving, generous heart who helped teammates and the community more than most people know,” former Ravens coach Brian Billick said. “We would not have won the Super Bowl without him.”

Former Ravens running back Jamal Lewis said Wednesday he was glad that he, Siragusa and other members of the 2000 championship team had “a chance to be together one last time” at a celebration earlier this year of that triumphant squad.

“Goose was one of the most humble and funniest guys I knew,” Lewis said in a statement. “I can remember his locker being next to mine on game day. He was never bothered and enjoyed life. While I had butterflies in my stomach, he was cracking jokes and pumping me up at the same time. … He will be truly missed.”

Several years after his playing career ended following the 2001 season, Siragusa was hired as an NFL sideline reporter for Fox Sports. He brought a light touch to the role until he and the network parted ways in 2016.

A New Jersey native, Siragusa also appeared on-screen as a minor character in HBO’s hit show, “The Sopranos,” and he had a part in a 2002 Spike Lee movie, “25th Hour.”

In addition to starring for his high school football team, for which he punted and played on the defensive line, Siragusa was a standout wrestler who won a New Jersey state title in 1985. He went on to play football at the University of Pittsburgh because, as he explained (via the Panthers), “If I wanted to learn a school song, I would’ve gone to Notre Dame or Penn State. I want to kill people on the football field. That’s why I came to Pitt.”

“Tony truly was bigger than life, on and off the field,” Pitt Coach Pat Narduzzi said. “His post-football life took him so many places but he never forgot Pitt. We could always count on him to send the best recorded pep talks to our guys before our biggest games. ‘The Goose’ leaves a great legacy and he will be sorely missed.”

Knee injuries hindered Siragusa’s final two seasons at Pitt, and he went undrafted by the NFL in 1990 before signing with the Colts as a free agent. He went on to play 12 seasons with Indianapolis and Baltimore.

“This is a tough one,” said former Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, another member of the team’s dominant defense in 2000. “I love Goose like a brother. From the first day we met, I knew that life was different. I knew he was someone who would change my life forever. He was a one-of-a-kind person who made you feel important and special. You can never replace a man like that.”

Big man with a great sense of humor. Devout Catholic who, despite all his aggression on the field, considered going into the priesthood in his youth.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:35 am Earl Hebner - perhaps the most controversial official in all of sports:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.cuxI3FDvz ... &h=306&c=7

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... e53b8b195b

erratum: I have been advised that it was his twin brother Dave ~ RIP
What about Danny Davis?
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:15 am

What about Danny Davis?

Dangerous Danny was controversial but only for a short while as Jack Tunney read him the Riot Act.

By the way, Ref Tim White also passed on. A good guy, too.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”