All People, All Opinions

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
admin
Site Admin

All People, All Opinions

Post by admin »

The FanLax Forum is open to all. Certainly all lacrosse fans. But is it really open to all? For example, we don't allow individual post-ers to feel uncomfortable within our forum due to the barbed words of other post-ers. The question is, Where do we draw the line between a person being thin-skinned and another post-er being aggressively insensitive. We have a discuss-topics,not-post-ers rule but this does not cover the post-ers who say things like, Democrats are racists or Conservatives are evil. If a post-er was to say, Blacks are pedophiles, we'd react. The question is, Where do we draw a line? To make this post less opaque and more tangible, we have a poster (and numerous other posters) who are like spam bots in their relentless attacks on certain (political) groups. On occasion, these posts smell a lot like racism and other bigoted perspectives but... Where do we draw the line? The post-er isn't a spam bot but, without doing some back-end research, you'd never know this. So what's the difference? Without thinking, we delete spam bots. So how is this different? Where do we draw lines and based on what criteria?
admin
Site Admin

Re: All People, All Opinions

Post by admin »

We should do the right thing. We want and need differing perspectives. With this said, not at the expense of people leaving our forums, avoiding certain discussion not due to lack of interest in the subject but due to lack of tolerance for the tone of the forum and certain post-ers within it. Maybe this issue is as simple as, We have a policy about attacking post-ers. Maybe this policy should carry over to attacking groups of post-ers. e.g. Democrats are pedophiles. Either way, I created a thread. And your feedback is welcome.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

admin wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am We should do the right thing. We want and need differing perspectives. With this said, not at the expense of people leaving our forums, avoiding certain discussion not due to lack of interest in the subject but due to lack of tolerance for the tone of the forum and certain post-ers within it. Maybe this issue is as simple as, We have a policy about attacking post-ers. Maybe this policy should carry over to attacking groups of post-ers. e.g. Democrats are pedophiles. Either way, I created a thread. And your feedback is welcome.
I think there is a stark and real difference between calling Biden "creepy Joe"and posting pictures of him with his hands on a kid, and suggesting that "all Democrats" and the posters one identifies as "Democrats" or "the left" are pedophiles. Nigel's post is, I suppose, fair game in our system of discussion of public figures -- I may think it is tasteless and wrong, and may think it suggests that "the right" will stoop to anything to keep its bleeding white fingers on the controls...but it is fair game. PB's post is over the line -- and I acknowledge the line is somewhat imaginary and self-governing. But if the border is erased altogether, we will lose any semblance of discussion and contribution, a think already under enormous pressure in this tribalistic time running up to the election.

I would agree that I can be pretty bilious, and apologize for that. But calling folks the worst sort of criminal should be understood as over the line. JMO.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

sea, agreed. but how to systemize this? you need to be able to call someone a pedophile because pedophiles exists and... He may actually be a pedophile. you need to be able to call a whole group of people tall or short or whatever because these people exist. maybe the issue is the combination of a group of people and such a negative depiction. Maybe the rule is as simple as, Don't trash an entire group of people. Because, truth be told, even if all Costa Ricans murder and eat their young, they don't. Sweeping statements about people are rarely true. And, if someone can post a stat that shows that 85% of all Costa ricans murder and eat their young, that's very different. Maybe that's it. Don't trash an entire group of people based on, "That's my experience, That's what I think".
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

My suggestion is to link the level of moderating/policing to the number of uses of the report button (!).

If only one person reports a post, maybe it wasn’t too bad.

If three or five people hit the report button, then you have a very strong indication that one person is exceeding the community’s standards (or tastes, or whatever).

The key is: use of the report button helps regulate the board, without really having to get into a fully-detailed explanation of what the community standards are.

Like art, you know it when YOU see it.

Bad posts - you know it when YOU see them.

Anyway, I would encourage use of the report button, and 3 reports sends someone to the penalty box and five to a permanent or very lengthy ban. All subject to final review and adjudication by Admin.

Also, on the flip side - the number of “reportings” should be monitored. If someone is abusing the report button, perhaps in a vindictive personal way, they themselves can be sent off to the penalty box or semi-/permanent bans.

That way you have a checks and balances to the process.

The whole idea behind the above is to encourage more self-regulation without the entire load falling on Admin, encouraging responsible posting, and keeping the place reasonable, healthy and fun.

In summary, USE THE REPORT BUTTON !!!!

But don’t overdo it either.

I guess a better summary is: don’t be an ass.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:42 pm My suggestion is to link the level of moderating/policing to the number of uses of the report button (!).

If only one person reports a post, maybe it wasn’t too bad.

If three or five people hit the report button, then you have a very strong indication that one person is exceeding the community’s standards (or tastes, or whatever).

The key is: use of the report button helps regulate the board, without really having to get into a fully-detailed explanation of what the community standards are.

Like art, you know it when YOU see it.

Bad posts - you know it when YOU see them.

Anyway, I would encourage use of the report button, and 3 reports sends someone to the penalty box and five to a permanent or very lengthy ban. All subject to final review and adjudication by Admin.
The use of the report feature is critical for the main reason that it brings a comment to the attention of the admin(s). I don't agree with the other criteria suggestions. It shouldn't matter how many times a comment is reported. If the admin(s) deem the comment outside the guidelines, the comment, and the post-er, should be subject to whatever corrective guidelines are in place. On a general note, I think the admin(s) at FanLax do a great job policing the joint. They let people interact and they don't censor by personal bias as the folks did on the former, less superior site.

As long as I'm here--which is correct--admin or admins? If admins--how many? Just curious...
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

The previous site involved a tremendous amount of megalomaniacal leadership.

It led to the death of volunteerism on the site, because no one else could uphold that kind of moderating / censorship standards. And it led to the death of the site, Active be damned, because it still could have run on volunteers, but few tried, with some being paid and most others not, and as the money dried up, even the base paid moderating evaporated. Ahab ran it into the ground, then created a glorious we're riding off into the sunset message, but, and I found this both hilarious and sad - he kept secretly moderating for many months after his “ride into the sunset” date. He couldn’t let go.

Then Il Duce came here and tried to dictate to Admin how to run THIS place. When he didn’t get his way, he skulked off.

Wherever he is, I hope he’s doing well.

He had way too many “moderators” who did absolutely nothing to help him.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

I think this should go all ways. I recall a fan of the orange man getting harrased too. I am politicaly neutral so i observe it on both sides. I think we can all agree these boards will never change anyones beliefs. Although some of us like to hear all sides.

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”