FanLax Feedback

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
admin
Site Admin

Re: New ads a bit of a drag

Post by admin »

Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:08 am Often I have to click past the full screen ad to get to the post I want to view on my laptop. On my phone, it seems to take extra long to load certain pages, I am guessing that’s because of the ad....
I found the issue. Google was running an "experiment". I think I've resolved the issue by opting out of this experiment so, if you have the same problem, please let me know. Thank you for the heads-up. :)

PS Relatively soon, we'll be getting rid of all Google ads which will be replaced with our own network of Branded Social Media Content. Besides this glitch, we've made our Google Ads as unobtrusive as possible and... I think you'll like our new format.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

admin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:08 am Often I have to click past the full screen ad to get to the post I want to view on my laptop. On my phone, it seems to take extra long to load certain pages, I am guessing that’s because of the ad....
I found the issue. Google was running an "experiment". I think I've resolved the issue by opting out of this experiment so, if you have the same problem, please let me know. Thank you for the heads-up. :)

PS Relatively soon, we'll be getting rid of all Google ads which will be replaced with our own network of Branded Social Media Content. Besides this glitch, we've made our Google Ads as unobtrusive as possible and... I think you'll like our new format.
Interesting to know. Thank you.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

admin wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 am

We’re being microchipped!
HappyGilmore

Re: FanLax Feedback

Post by HappyGilmore »

Having trouble with your home screen. Is it me or are you having issues?

Thanks
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

At some point Friday morning and through to mid afternoon I got a 503 server not available when I tried to access fanlax on my phone. All other websites I have saved were accessible. Thought you might like to know in case you didn't already. All has been well since.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, Cletus. That is correct. Site was down. Spoke to Hosting Service and... "This should not happen again". Again, thank you.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The libs have won here. You did a wonderful job trying to keep it sane. Fanlax forum has devolved into a shithole of FLP ideology. Too bad, i know why so many posters have done what i am doing right now... signing off.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:40 am The libs have won here. You did a wonderful job trying to keep it sane. Fanlax forum has devolved into a shithole of FLP ideology. Too bad, i know why so many posters have done what i am doing right now... signing off.
+1000000 brotha. We are going to miss you, I get closer and closer to that myself, but enjoy the lacrosse discussion greatly. Hope you come back sometime in the near future!!

JoeMauer89!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Archive project

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

So admin – we noticed some new archive boards on the site. Interesting. Tell us all about it when you get a moment. Any chance we’ll see 2018 women’s lacrosse division one archive at some point?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2018 Archive? I'm not sure what you mean...
OuttaNowhereWregget

admin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:21 pm 2018 Archive? I'm not sure what you mean...
I see that there is a current archive spanning 2008 through 2015 so I wondered if 2018 would eventually be restored. I may have asked this before so if that is the case, my apologies for my early senility.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That archive is just for convenience. It's links to The Way Back Machine's links to LaxPower. https://archive.org/web/ Besides this, we just have what we've created within the FanLax Forum.
OuttaNowhereWregget

admin wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:21 pm That archive is just for convenience. It's links to The Way Back Machine's links to LaxPower. https://archive.org/web/ Besides this, we just have what we've created within the FanLax Forum.
Gotcha—thanks
OuttaNowhereWregget

The new ads on the phone are a pain. Too much space taken up. A real encroachment. And must so many of them feature men and women less dressed? I would pay for the service rather than have more and more of these intrusive ads.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:31 pm The new ads on the phone are a pain. Too much space taken up. A real encroachment. And must so many of them feature men and women less dressed? I would pay for the service rather than have more and more of these intrusive ads.
Agreed. What's strange is that I don't have that on my phone. Mine has a totally unobtrusive ad and even that ad can be minimized. Strange.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

This has nothing to do with anything but... I find it funny that after a big win, the number of people who register as new users within the Forum with a username that includes the name of the team that had the big win. e.g. After this weekend, a surge in names with "brown" in it. Something funny about this...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Semifinal No. 2 -- Maryland v. BC 5/27 -- 5:00 pm

njbill wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:53 am ONW has personally attacked me many times over the past couple of years
On 2nd break.

I’ve been thinking about this particular accusation and I can pretty much remember what happened verbatim with this situation. After the BC semifinal win over North Carolina, I referenced a post where I thought you (among others) nitpicked Charlotte North. That’s where the whole controversy began. I went back and forth with you for a time and then realized I wasn’t going to change your mind. Before I reached that point or at that point, I said something along the lines of you take leave of your senses when it comes to Charlotte North or you have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde perspective when it comes to her or something along those lines. But I never personally attacked you, Bill. Check to see if what I’m saying is true. The dates are easy enough to look up. Whether you do or not however, I am still going to look it up when I get home.

I remember you and I getting along pretty well before the Charlotte North thing. You taught me about Ford Frick and a lot of other interesting things. We shared a common appreciation for New Jersey, as well.

As I say, I’ll address the other issues you brought up when I get home.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

hmmm wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:05 am
admin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:49 am
@inthe8m wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:53 am I will continue to keep my eye out. Gentle meme reminders to fellow posters not to feed msg board trolls is just good etiquette. Maybe the admins need to address the issue of a person(s) reporting generic posts that neither name call or trash posters.

The msg board block feature is great.
1- If a post-er is trolling, report it. Do not attack them personally. Report it.
2- This Forum is like a party. And, at this party, we don't allow personal attacks and especially personal attacks by many against one individual post-er. If that post-er is a troll, see #1 above. If that post-er is unpopular, so be it. But... No personal attacks.
3- Inthe8m, remove your current signature.
Not to argue semantics here but if no user is mentioned by name how is it a personal attack? Are you saying that because it's obvious who the user is that's being referenced it is inherently personal? And such aren't you guilty of the same thing by assuming we all know what poster Inthe8m is referring to? And if it's so obvious who the "troll" is that Inthe8m is calling out, shouldn't something be done about said troll?
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Justalaxdad wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:21 pm
njbill wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:53 am
admin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:49 am
@inthe8m wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:53 am I will continue to keep my eye out. Gentle meme reminders to fellow posters not to feed msg board trolls is just good etiquette. Maybe the admins need to address the issue of a person(s) reporting generic posts that neither name call or trash posters.

The msg board block feature is great.
1- If a post-er is trolling, report it. Do not attack them personally. Report it.
2- This Forum is like a party. And, at this party, we don't allow personal attacks and especially personal attacks by many against one individual post-er. If that post-er is a troll, see #1 above. If that post-er is unpopular, so be it. But... No personal attacks.
3- Inthe8m, remove your current signature.
I’m going to stick my nose in here because I think these are some things that need to be said.

I stopped posting about 11 months ago. When ONW and another poster continued to take shots at me, I decided to return because I had had enough of their repeated attacks. I told them I would address their behavior in the no-holds-barred Hamsterdam, but neither took me up on that.

I don’t keep track of all of his inappropriate posts directed at me, but ONW has personally attacked me many times over the past couple of years, including comparing me to Hitler and the Nazis last June (later deleted but up long enough for me to see it). I reported that to admin in a public post, but nothing was done. Many of his posts have been reported by other posters, both on the public forum and privately to admin, yet he was only suspended once.

When a fairly large number of people from a wide geographic area who don’t know each other reach the same general conclusion about one poster, that’s pretty compelling evidence as to who is right and who is wrong here.

Admin, you say Fanlax is like a party. Well, when one party guest engages in inappropriate behavior, you first ask them to stop. Maybe you ask a second time. But at some point – when the behavior continues despite the requests – you ask the guest to leave. If he won’t leave, you call the cops. And this poster is not just “unpopular” to use your word. He is well beyond that. He is disrupting the party on a regular basis and spoiling the party for the rest of the guests.

While not all of his posts are objectionable, he posts so much that the raw number and regularity of his offensive posts really takes its toll on the Women's board. ONW has been engaging in the type of behavior many (the majority?) of posters on the Women’s board object to for a long time (definitely more than a year). I called out his behavior in strong terms in my “departure” post last June. And I wasn’t the first to do so by any means. He has been asked by a number of different posters a number of times to cool it, to stop with the incendiary posts, to stop the trolling. Basically to stop being a boorish party guest. His response invariably is that he can post whatever he wants. If you don’t like it, don’t read his posts, put him on ignore, report him to admin. Blah, blah, blah.

Of late ONW has been reporting posts he doesn’t like to admin. My belief is admin only reads the reported posts and does not read the surrounding posts to get a complete understanding of the relevant discussion. Also, I imagine admin reads posts when one of his is tagged, which is why I'm tagging his most recent post here. Admin, if that is not correct, please so advise.

By not regularly reading the posts on the Women’s board, there is no way for admin to have a sense for what prompted the reported post or how many other posters feel about some of OWN’s posts.

Some of the posts ONW recently reported to admin had called him out for his regular trolling. Admin issued warnings in a couple of those instances. Yet at least twice in the last year or two, ONW has acknowledged that he trolls.

I believe it was some time last spring (no, I’m not going to search his thousands of posts to find the specific one) in which he acknowledged (I’m paraphrasing) that he at times intentionally posts things to provoke, aggravate, and annoy other posters. To me, that is the definition of trolling and an admission that he trolls.

On July 20, 2021 at 3:37 p.m. in his own thread on the Penalty Box board, ONW said:
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:37 pm Right off the top—I would like to say that I deserve to be in the penalty box for all the trolling I’ve done over the years, and in particular the one I pulled today.

First, I want to apologize to admin and Matnum PI. They have better things to do than to police my childish behavior.

DMac, seacoaster, 8meterPA, Bart, TL, MDlaxfan76 and anyone else I have ticked off with my self-indulgent trolling and for being a general all-around capital A A-hole.
I condensed his post for brevity and bolded certain language. If you want to read the whole thing, you can find it in the Penalty Box.

So there you have it. ONW admits he trolls.

BTW, his above post is one example of his several “contrition” posts in which he promises to do better, to stop trolling, etc. But as surely as the swallows return to San Juan Capistrano every spring, he reverts to his old ways. Time and time again.

Some of admin’s recent warnings not to engage in personal attacks or not to trash posters have been precipitated by ONW’s reporting of posts calling him out for trolling (using that word).

Here is the key point I wish to make: I don’t think it is attacking or trashing someone to call them a troll when that poster, himself, says he is a troll. If I tell someone I’m a big fat slob, that person isn’t attacking or trashing me if they call me a big fat slob. That’s just common sense. Basic logic. Basic human psychology. Or at a minimum, that person has waived the right to object to a characterization he, himself, acknowledges is accurate.

What is the solution? A few possibilities occur to me. First and most preferable would be for ONW to stop his intentionally inflammatory posts. Unfortunately, that appears unlikely. Second, put him in the penalty box for an extended period so that perhaps he’ll learn his lesson. Third, and perhaps least attractive, stop warning and suspending posters who very rightly call out ONW’s trolling posts given that ONW admits he’s a troll.

One last point. ONW has multiple screen names on FanLax. In addition to the one he is currently using, he also has Cletus, wlaxnut, and angus. Maybe others I’m not aware of. His MO is to use one for a year or so and then start with a new one. Regular posters on the Women’s board usually notice pretty quickly when he starts using a new screen name. While he usually cutely dodges when posters confront him about the new name, I’m not aware that he has ever flat out denied that he has changed his name.

Why does FanLax permit people to have multiple screen names? I’m sure you have IP addresses and can easily dope this problem out. My two cents is it should be one person, one screen name.
What njbill said 1,000,000,000%

btw - someone who doesn't know that ND people are known as Golden Domers is NOT a sports person. I'm sorry, but that's a dead give away for someone being a troll on a sports forum. Just sayin'...
+2 (one for Bill, one for not knowing the Domers)
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

This seems like a pretty easy “problem” to solve. If you think ONW is violating the rules with a given post, click the little exclamation point icon and the admin will review and penalize if appropriate. If you simply disagree with his opinion on a topic, you can (a) say so in the forum; (b) ignore his post; or (c) block him.

ONW is a quirky son of a gun, to be sure, but he adds a lot of substance, news, videos and photos.

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”