***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
gymman1031

***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by gymman1031 »

Not too early to start thinking ahead to 2023 for the toughest high school conference in America. Obviously, when it comes to teams being hungry, I doubt there will be one more hungry than St. Mary's. Will the Saints, who have several players coming back and multiple players up from a very solid JV squad, win the title exactly thirty years after their first one?
kramerica.inc

Re: ***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by kramerica.inc »

So we know where we are working from for next year:

2022 Finish:

1. Champion: McD
2. Runner up: StM
3-4. Semifinalists: BL, CH
5-6. Quarterfinalists: Sev, Spal
7. StP
8. LB
9. Gil
10. JC
11. MsJ

I'll throw out some 2022 nominations for:

Coach of the Year:
Andy Hilgartner (McD)

Player of the Year:
Don Petrimala (BL)

Playoff MVP:
McAbe Millon

Game of the Year:
McD 11 BL 10 (Final) Conference Semifinal

Upset of the Year:
JC 8 CH 7 (Final) Regular Season

Surprise teams:
StM/Severn
random observer

Post by random observer »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:29 am So we know where we are working from for next year:

2022 Finish:

1. Champion: McD
2. Runner up: StM
3-4. Semifinalists: BL, CH
5-6. Quarterfinalists: Sev, Spal
7. StP
8. LB
9. Gil
10. JC
11. MsJ

I'll throw out some 2022 nominations for:

Coach of the Year:
Andy Hilgartner (McD)

Player of the Year:
Don Petrimala (BL)

Playoff MVP:
McAbe Millon

Game of the Year:
McD 11 BL 10 (Final) Conference Semifinal

Upset of the Year:
JC 8 CH 7 (Final) Regular Season

Surprise teams:
StM/Severn
Would agree with most of this, except to me Weisshaar is the clear player of the year. One of the best MIAA careers I've ever seen from a midfielder.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Congrats to the conference’s Nike All Americans:

Att:
Dom Pietramala, BL, UNC
Truitt Sunderland, CH, UVA

Mid:
Travis Smith, John Carroll, UPenn
Mike Weishaar, Spalding, Towson

Def:
AJ Larkin, Loyola, UMD
Jonny Cool, McD, Ohio State

Goal:
Carson Stoller, BL, Rutgers
Kyle Morris, Gilman, UVA
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:10 pm Congrats to the conference’s Nike All Americans:

Att:
Dom Pietramala, BL, UNC

Mid:

Def:
AJ Larkin, Loyola, UMD

Goal:
Kyle Morris, Gilman, UVA
Nike All American list.

Where is the MIAA A all conference list?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

It was just discussed with coaches and families are being notified. It should trickle out soon or be released any minute now.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:10 pm Congrats to the conference’s Nike All Americans:

Att:
Dom Pietramala, BL, UNC

Mid:

Def:
AJ Larkin, Loyola, UMD

Goal:
Kyle Morris, Gilman, UVA
Was hoping you’d tell me Max S was in there but I’m also a realist.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Att:
Dom Pietramala, BL, UNC

Mid:

Def:
AJ Larkin, Loyola, UMD

Goal:
Kyle Morris, Gilman, UVA

Are those all seniors?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Yes, all seniors.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Why are MIAA players also listed on all county teams?? They don’t play county sports. Is that what the all MIAA team is for?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Jumbo wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:52 am Why are MIAA players also listed on all county teams?? They don’t play county sports. Is that what the all MIAA team is for?
Because those awards are given by local news writers not the MPSAA. Newspapers aren’t gonna ignore a large portion of their readership.

I look at it a little differently- It always made sense to me because those privates schools are located in those cities/counties so it is kinda lame to call a kid the best player in the area when he might not be that.

I’d also kick it back to MPSAA. I’d love for MPSAA to step up and name an all 1A or all 4A team. As long as they don’t water it down like their playoffs.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:22 am
Jumbo wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:52 am Why are MIAA players also listed on all county teams?? They don’t play county sports. Is that what the all MIAA team is for?
Because those awards are given by local news writers not the MPSAA. Newspapers aren’t gonna ignore a large portion of their readership.

I look at it a little differently- It always made sense to me because those privates schools are located in those cities/counties so it is kinda lame to call a kid the best player in the area when he might not be that.

I’d also kick it back to MPSAA. I’d love for MPSAA to step up and name an all 1A or all 4A team. As long as they don’t water it down like their playoffs.
My issue is that most MIAA schools are basically all star teams. They all recruit the best of the best. They have their own league. They Don’t usually play public schools. Have different game rules. Play more games. And get a ton more practice time. It’s not comparing apples to apples. All MIAA should be for private school kids only and all county should be for county players only. All state can be for both.

I also thought coaches voted for the all county and all state, I doubt it is the sports writers. AA county only has two sports writers, no way can they see every team play
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’ve seen how the sausage is made. And it ain’t pretty.

I worked for the WaPo and Gazette Company for 4-5 years, and saw a number of our county versions compiled, including AACo. Unfortunately, most of these teams ARE compiled by one guy. Maybe 2. But usually 1.

Coaches are generally called in the preseason and asked for players to watch. That is really the start of the list.

But they don’t always get a call or vote. It depends on the writer.

Some years the writer will follow up with the coaches for nominations because he didn’t watch enough. The number of nominations each coach gets will be based on final records or standings in the poll. Or by which coaches actually respond to the writer’s phone call or email. You don’t respond? You don’t get any players!

Other times the writer is more diligent, watches some games and some box scores and does it on his own.

But it is usually just treated like a story assignment and it is the local writer who ultimately makes the list.

And as a complete aside, local sports writers are a definite type. There are some unique personalities in newspaper. But the local sports writers, and the long-tenured ons especially, are definitely among the most unique.
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:12 am I’ve seen how the sausage is made. And it ain’t pretty.

I worked for the WaPo and Gazette Company for 4-5 years, and saw a number of our county versions compiled, including AACo. Unfortunately, most of these teams ARE compiled by one guy. Maybe 2. But usually 1.

Coaches are generally called in the preseason and asked for players to watch. That is really the start of the list.

Some years the writer will follow up with the coaches for nominations because he didn’t watch enough. The number of nominations each coach gets will be based on final records or standings in the poll. Or by which coaches actually respond to the writer’s phone call or email. You don’t respond? You don’t get any players!

Other times the writer is more diligent, watches some games and some box scores and does it on his own.

But it is usually just treated like a story assignment and it is the local writer who ultimately makes the list.

And as a complete aside, local sports writers are a definite type. There are some unique personalities in newspaper. But the local sports writers, and the long-tenured ons especially, are definitely among the most unique.
Excellent, informative post. Thank you.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:12 am I’ve seen how the sausage is made. And it ain’t pretty.

Good info to know. We always wondered. Goalie on my sons team didn’t even make honorable mention. Everyone felt he was robbed. Makes sense now that coaches didn’t make selections.
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

I've seen players get overlooked quite often. The most egregious case I witnessed was back in the mid 90's when I was coaching high school soccer. A player on my team was a member of the US U-17 National team, he was a junior, 3 year starter and obviously our best player. When the Baltimore City/County team came out, he was not mentioned. After I sent a polite letter to the sports department at the Baltimore Sun, and receiving no response, the All-Metro team came out and he was omitted again. Fortunately for my guy, the All State team chosen by the coaches knew who he was. He was selected to the 1st Team.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Saw This. I added each team's accomplishments or wins of note for your enjoyment/discussion...

https://twitter.com/scores_lax/status/1 ... 9215654912

MD HS Lax Scores Final Power Rating:

Votes:
St John's Catholic Prep (MIAA C Champion)
Dulaney (Win over Towson)
Curley (MIAA B Champion, Win over Dulaney)
Urbana (Win over Fallston)

20. Fallston (MPSAA 1A Runner-up, Wins over Curley, Dulaney)
19. Towson (Wins over Fallston and Curley)
18. Hereford (MPSAA 2A Semifinalist, Wins over Dulaney x2, Towson)
17. Mt. St Joe (Wins over Curley, Gilman, Mater Dei)
16. Mt. Hebron (MPSAA 3A Runner-up)
15. Southern AA (MPSAA 1A Champion)
14. Kent Island (MPSAA 2A Champion, Wins over Caesar Rodney DE, Urbana, Hereford)
13. Broadneck (MPSAA 4A Runner-up, Wins over Mt. Hebron, Kent Island, Dematha, Severna Park)
12. Catonsville (MPSAA 3A Semifinalist, wins over Towson, Hereford x2, MSJ, Dulaney)
11. John Carroll (Wins over Cape Henlopen DE, MSJ, Southern AA, Calvert Hall)
10. Gilman (Wins over Conestoga PA, John Carroll, Hereford, Loyola)
9. Loyola (Wins over Haverford PA, MSJ, St Paul's, John Carroll, Severn)
8. Severna Park (MPSAA 3A Champion, wins over Southern, Broadneck, Catonsville, Mt Hebron)
7. St Paul's (Wins over Landon, Episcopal PA, Calvert Hall, MSJ, McDonogh, John Carroll, Gilman)
6. Severn (MIAA A Quarterfinalist, Wins over St Albans, Penn Charter, MSJ, St Paul's, John Carroll, Severna Park, Broadneck, BL, Gilman)
5. Spalding (MIAA A Quarterfinalist, wins over Collegiate VA, Bullis, St Paul's, JC , Gilman, Mater Dei, Severn, Loyola, St Mary's MSJ,)
4. Boys Latin (MIAA A Semifinalist, Wins over Aquinas FL, St Andrews FL, Lawrenceville NJ, Culver IL, McD, JC Gilman, Kent Island, Spalding, Loyola, St Mary's, MSJ St Paul's)
3. Calvert Hall (MIAA A Semifinalist, wins over Holly Springs NC, Hereford, Lawrenveville, Hill Academy Western Reserve, MSJ, McDonogh, Gilman, BL, Spalding, Severn x2, Loyola)
2. St Mary's (MIAA A Runner-up, Wins over Georgetown Prep, Landon, Kent Island, Loyola, MSJ, Broadneck, Severna Park, McDonogh, St Paul's, JC, Gilman, Severn, Calvert Hall x2)
1. McDonogh (MIAA A Champion, wins over Haverford PA, Spalding, Severn, Loyola, Hill School PA, MSJ, JC, Gilman, Spalding, BL, St Mary's)
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

All MIAA "A" Conference Honors:

A
Todd - Severn
Millon - McD
Pietramala - BL
Sunderland - CH
Golini - StM
Hopkins - StM

M