New England West 2022

HS Boys Lacrosse
PrimeTime21

Re: New England West 2022

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:37 pm I generally agree about the value that NE prep schools place on playing each other across the spectrum of athletics. Dropping home and home series with the weak sisters of NE W1 in favor of neutral site games vs. Delbarton and MIACC, IAC or PA-based Inter-Academic League schools would require a significant increase in travel for DA, the allure of which would fade after a season or two. I just can't see it signing up to play Brunswick in CT every other year as well as L'ville plus two or three other games on neutral sites in CT or farther south each season. However, DA could add a few games vs. ISL powerhouses (i.e. St. Sebs and Nobles in addition to BH, which it has played the last few years) that are only two hours away. They would certainly prove to be more challenging than the likes of NMH, Kent and Berkshire.

As far as all the Fairfield Cty talent being scooped up by Brunswick, I don't think DA really cares. It knows that it will get its share of top-flight student-athletes and, while it's nice to have been the top dog in NE prep school lax for so many years, these things ebb and flow as demonstrated by other sports it formerly dominated and is now in the mid-pack. DA is much more focused on enhancing its overall academic and extra-curricular experience than on preserving the competitiveness of its lax program.
Lacrosse is a proxy for status. Football and basketball are for the proles, but lax, hockey and squash are for the fancy boys. The abandonment of their primary audiences along with woke bs will hurt these wack boarding schools. Better to keep the kids down home at a dope crib.
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:04 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:37 pm I generally agree about the value that NE prep schools place on playing each other across the spectrum of athletics. Dropping home and home series with the weak sisters of NE W1 in favor of neutral site games vs. Delbarton and MIACC, IAC or PA-based Inter-Academic League schools would require a significant increase in travel for DA, the allure of which would fade after a season or two. I just can't see it signing up to play Brunswick in CT every other year as well as L'ville plus two or three other games on neutral sites in CT or farther south each season. However, DA could add a few games vs. ISL powerhouses (i.e. St. Sebs and Nobles in addition to BH, which it has played the last few years) that are only two hours away. They would certainly prove to be more challenging than the likes of NMH, Kent and Berkshire.

As far as all the Fairfield Cty talent being scooped up by Brunswick, I don't think DA really cares. It knows that it will get its share of top-flight student-athletes and, while it's nice to have been the top dog in NE prep school lax for so many years, these things ebb and flow as demonstrated by other sports it formerly dominated and is now in the mid-pack. DA is much more focused on enhancing its overall academic and extra-curricular experience than on preserving the competitiveness of its lax program.
Lacrosse is a proxy for status. Football and basketball are for the proles, but lax, hockey and squash are for the fancy boys. The abandonment of their primary audiences along with woke bs will hurt these wack boarding schools. Better to keep the kids down home at a dope crib.

I think this is a pretty archaic way to view these schools and their athletic departments. I believe if you asked a boarding school’s alumni and administration if they could pick one team to be a perennial contender, the betting favorite to be picked would be football with perhaps hockey not far behind.

Football has rapidly progressed within NEPSAC with some schools having several blue chip recruits. Ultimately, every school (even the high academic ones) would rather have a kid playing football at bama than playing lacrosse at Duke. Not to mention the rivalry games that have been played for over a century.

Digressing, I do agree with many on this forums sentiment in regards to Kent and NMH. Th games are pointless. However, I think abandoning the league is not the promised land many of you believe it to be.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Lawrenceville spanking Deerfield, 9-2 in 3rd, Deerfield can’t get the ball. Posner is going to make this team into a monster.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Well, 2 quick ones for Big Green against Big Red, 9-4. It is striking how much bigger the Lawrenceville players look, massive guys
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10-5 end of 3

Nice ball movement on EMO, 10-7, Green back in EMO again
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

Anyone know why the Choate/Brunswick game fell off the schedule?

It was originally scheduled for today at Wick before the Deerfield/L'ville game.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10-7 final, Red over Green. No intel in the Wick-Choate game but any cancellation these days I assume is due to COVID until told otherwise.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Brunswick plays Darien tomorrow night. I don’t recall Choate being in their schedule for today.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:54 pm 10-7 final, Red over Green. No intel in the Wick-Choate game but any cancellation these days I assume is due to COVID until told otherwise.
No Choate game for Wick. Was originally on schedule in error. No health issues. Game with #7 Darien tonite.
PhishFall97

Post by PhishFall97 »

I believe the final was 10-8, or that's what IL and DA are reporting.. Posner is going to do really well with Lville... They played very well and were extremely physical and had some serious talent on both sides of the ball.

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:54 pm 10-7 final, Red over Green. No intel in the Wick-Choate game but any cancellation these days I assume is due to COVID until told otherwise.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

7-0 Wick over Darien end of 1st. Beatdown.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Would be good to see Brunswick and St. Johns DC play. Don't suppose it could happen at the Geico Nationals, could it?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:27 pm 7-0 Wick over Darien end of 1st. Beatdown.
Sure didn’t end up that way. Wick holds on 12-10 after 7-0 first quarter lead. Great win for Wick, no one blows out Darien though, not sure if they relaxed or if the Wave just started rolling.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:56 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:46 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:27 pm I just reviewed Inside Lacrosse's top 25 ratings. ( https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... ational/22 ) and was surprised to find my beloved Rhinos 4 places ahead of the loathed Deerfield Big Green.

Deerfield BEAT Taft 9 to 5 a few weeks back. Deerfield has one fewer loss (as both schools lost to 'wick earlier in the season) and, as it bears repeating, almost doubled up the Rhinos AND held that prolific attack to just 5 goals AND I believe that they played in Watertown.

I had read somewhere that IL sort of adopted the old LacksPower algorithm for calculating power rankings but I can't recall such an egregious error.

Can one of the clever old goats on this page help clarify this?
No idea how IL would have procured the detailed code from LP. Perhaps they attempted to reconstruct what they "thought" the code would look like.
We all knew that the LP guys were closing out and retiring and my observation was that they were open to adding a few bucks to their retirement fund. Nobody thought the less of them for that.

IL had just absorbed a big PE inward dollop of cash and....well.....ya know....I'm just following a thread of logical conclusions with no conclusive evidence, all colored with wishful thinking that the LP legacy didn't just exit stage right.
LP had sold out at some point in the 2000s to larger roll up of digital affinity properties which it was a subsidiary of and the just shuttered and written off lock/stock when the parent was sold to a West coast PE shop so almost definitely was not sold and even if so the money never saw the inside of the LP founders pockets. Parent was called active networks.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... y-Partners
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
random observer

Post by random observer »

pcowlax wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:47 pm
PrimeTime21 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:27 pm 7-0 Wick over Darien end of 1st. Beatdown.
Sure didn’t end up that way. Wick holds on 12-10 after 7-0 first quarter lead. Great win for Wick, no one blows out Darien though, not sure if they relaxed or if the Wave just started rolling.
A bit of both. Brunswick came out with more energy and really flexed its muscles in the first quarter. The pivotal sequence was a 5 goal run inside the final 5 minutes of the frame, in which Greenspan won all the face offs and Darien committed several penalties whilst never getting a possession. The second quarter was pretty sloppy from both sides. Darien bumped Evanchick up top and started double poling the midfield. From that point on they did a great job putting the clamps on Delgado and Hoffman, and the Brunswick offense lost its rhythm -- this allowed Darien to recover and get into the game. Play picked up in the third quarter with Darien starting to win face-offs and get some rhythm, going on a 3 goal run before Brunswick answered with 3 straight on their end. Darien dominated draws and the play in the fourth quarter whilst Brunswick started committing penalties of their own. Darien had the lead down to 12-9 with about 6 minutes left but could only get one more in down the stretch despite several opportunities.

All in all an uneven game where I think both sides walked away feeling they could have played better, but it was exciting and fun to watch. Darien has a good team this year, but Brunswick is just a bit better and deeper. This has become one of my favorite regional matchups for the storylines and talent level, and I sincerely hope it remains a locked in annual fixture; Brunswick has won all three matchups to date but all have been tightly contested and the atmosphere has been electric (although next year's game will likely be one-sided as it should be an abnormally weak year for Darien).

One last note: I thought the sportsmanship between the two sides was outstanding. The players competed fiercely but clearly have a ton of respect for each other both from reputation and from playing together in the summer.
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

wick/choate situation very curious. it was definitely on Wick's schedule at the beginning of the year on its usual date. why wouldn't it be?

https://twitter.com/Wick_Lax/status/149 ... 59/photo/1

wick/darien score a little misleading in my NEWest biased mind. 7-0 1q, 8-1 half, 11-4 3rd and then multiple wick penalties and 5 darien man-up goals derailed the train.
random observer

Post by random observer »

NEWestFan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 pm wick/choate situation very curious. it was definitely on Wick's schedule at the beginning of the year on its usual date. why wouldn't it be?

https://twitter.com/Wick_Lax/status/149 ... 59/photo/1

wick/darien score a little misleading in my NEWest biased mind. 7-0 1q, 8-1 half, 11-4 3rd and then multiple wick penalties and 5 darien man-up goals derailed the train.
I think that's certainly a fair observation. The game never got quite to the point where it looked like Darien would make it all the way back. But it also would be selling them short to say Brunswick was just winding the game down after they went up 7-0. Once Darien double poled the midfield, Wick had 5 goals the rest of the way and really didn't generate many good looks beyond that; this wasn't like last year where Brunswick generated tons of scoring chances but were stymied by a goalie standing on his head -- Darien actually outshot them, and had several pipes and near misses in the six-on-six in the final 5-6 minutes.

As for the penalties, IMO those are as much a feature as a bug when it comes to Wick's defense; they're extremely aggressive and physical, which often times leads to turnovers and transition but also leads to more penalties. One penalty in particular was a smart play to take advantage of the ill-conceived goal mouth rule and negate a Darien goal. And Greenspan's violations came once he began pressing after Darien started controlling the X.

Regardless, Wick left little doubt that they are the better team. Darien belongs a tier below this year right amongst Taft/Salisbury/Deerfield (as they have been in the national polls).
grelch

Post by grelch »

Salisbury 12-8 over Choate tonight. Watched bits of it. Looked like a competitive well played game in the short chunks I saw.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

So let's cut to the summary.

Brunswick will win the league and go on to mortify a great St. Johns team in a GEICO event. National champs

Deerfield will wind up second, but won't opt to do any post graduation tournaments because that is so gauche.

Taft and Salisbury will step up for the good of the league and one or the other or both will earn plaudits from Quint and the lax establishment.

Am I wrong?
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Not so accurate rankings 5.9.22

Division 1 - Close win for 'Wick after jumping up on Darien. Salisbury-Wick game will determine the best though I still think spots 2-4 are still all interchangeable. AOF making a claim for being the best team in the middle of the pack as they beat Hotchkiss whose dream season is turning into a nightmare. TP vs Choate will determine the lower half of the pack. Berkshire has a big win against TP and then loses 3 in a row. Their game against Westy will determine the best of the bottom of the league. NMH and Kent losing to D2 teams

Division 2 - Wilbraham win over Canterbury was close but settles who's on first. Wilbraham-Gunnery game for D2 bragging right is upcoming with a chance for Gunnery to leapfrog both teams for the #1 spot. Cheshire moves back up with their win against an undefeated GFA team. King has won 7 in a row but has yet to play the hardest part of their schedule against Hopkins and GFA. The Hopkins game will determine 3rd-4th in the FAA playoff seedings. Suffield vs KO will determine best of the bottom

Division 3 - added 3 more teams: WIlliams School who appears to be the dominant team, Woodhall and a Co-Ed Darrow team. Having trouble getting scores

Current Last Week School Record Comments

Division 1

1 1 Brunswick (12-0) Close Darien win after jumping out early. AOF a potential trap game before Salisbury
2 2 Deerfield (9-2) Rebound from Lville loss with a Hotchkiss win
3 3 Taft (9-2) Hi'kiss win not as impressive with them faltering. No problem against TP
4 4 Salisbury (10-1) Last 3 games against Taft, Wick and Deerfield is brutal
5 6 Avon Old Farms (9-5) Big winb against H'kiss, close win against TP
6 5 Hotchkiss (6-5) 4 losses in a row has taken off some of the luster of a good season, esp loss to AOF
7 7 Loomis Chaffee (6-8) Uneven with loss to Westy but beats an average Andover
8 9 Trinity Pawling (6-7) Only win in the last 5 is against D2 Millbrook
9 10 Choate (5-5) Lost 5 in a row and beats Berkshire. Big match against TP
10 11 Westminster (5-9) Beats D2 Millbrook by one but beats Loomis 13-8
11 8 Berkshire (6-8) Beast TP then lays an egg ainst Gunnery, Taft and Choate
12 12 Northfield Mount Hermon (3-14) After 3 straight wins, they have lost 4 in a row including to D2 Albany Academies
13 13 Kent (0-14) GF-GA 60-248

Division 2

1 1 Wilbraham & Monson (9-1) Huge wins against Canterbury and Cushing makes them the clear #1 with Gunnery looming
2 2 Canterbury (9-4) Close loss against Wilbraham
3 3 Gunnery (9-3) Loss to Pomfret doesnt change their standing
4 4 Millbrook (5-6) 4 losses in a row against good teams. Then they beat a bad Suffield team
5 5 Albany Academies (5-5) Beating a D1 NMH is not a big deal. Lost to Berkshire
6 6 Williston (4-7) Up and down with a close loss to C'bury
7 10 Cheshire Academy (3-4) Beats GFA to move up
8 7 Greens Farms Academy (8-1) Loss to Cheshire Academy hurts their chance to move into the upper tier
9 8 King School (7-1) 7 wins in a row
10 9 Greenwich Country Day (6-2) big loss to King but 3 wins in a row since
11 11 Brunswick B (not JV) (2-3) no scores from the pat 2 weeks
12 12 Hopkins School (4-7) big win against Rye clinches a playoff sopt for them
13 13 St Lukes (4-4) 2 losses in a row leaves them on the outside looking in for playoffs
14 14 Rye Country Day (3-8) Lost 5 in a row
15 15 Suffield Academy (0-9) still no wins
16 16 Kingswood-Oxford (1-9) Finally gets a win by beating HH
17 17 Hamden Hall (1-10) GF-GA 57-173, only win is against Div 3 team

Division 3

1 NR Williams School (8-3) Not really in the league but I added them because they play a lot of the same teams
2 1 Harvey (4-3) beats Wooster and Forman and loses to Williams
3 4 Hoosac (2-1) loss to dublin school
4 2 Wooster (3-5) Loss to Williams
5 3 Forman (1-6) loss to Wooster and Williams
6 6 Masters (1-2)
8 5 Storm King (0-3) Losses are not close
8 7 Marvelwood (1-3) Beat Darrow
9 NR Darrow (2-1) Co-Ed team? Beat Woodhall 2x
10 NR Woodhall (0-3) 2 losses to Darrow

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”