**********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: **********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

Post by kramerica.inc »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:13 am
Slim wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:28 am I'm going off the rails and predicting a CHC v McD final. That is if McD D can contain the Lakers #9, and if #9 for McD plays TEAM ball.
I think you might be right. One thing to remember is that, due to having played on Friday, CHC and McD will be more in the game-groove, at least going in, than their opponents. That could factor huge.
That kid on McD is athletic. But he is small-framed and disappeared in a few games when rangy defenders stayed on his hands. If McD can play offense around him, move their feet (instead of just watching him do his thing), they will do well. He's very good with the change of direction. But he tries to throw the highlight reel BtB too often and they almost always end up being turnovers. When he plays fundamentally sound and just feeds or shoots like normal, he is REALLY good. But I'm sure Danowski will handle that.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

McD wins, 11-10.
St. Mary's wins, 12-9.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

It looked like the Calvert Hall coaches and players lost their heads towards the end of the game today. Hopefully they can learn to keep their composure better.
Terps22

Post by Terps22 »

I was able to catch the live stream of the St Mary's - Calvert Hall Game.

From start to finish, the Saints were the better team. The athleticism displayed between the lines and on the defensive side of the field tilted in STM's favor. Goalie play also provided to give the Saints a big boost. Calvert Hall made a ton of turnovers, and the Saints made them play.

I've always been under the impression the Saints fly under the radar. They never seem to garner much pre-season hype or attention from any lax publications based in Baltimore. To my recollection, they were not even ranked in any pre-season polls and were still not even ranked after knocking the snot out of IAC traditional powers Georgetown Prep and Landon.

It's no fluke the Saints are in the finals on Friday night, and I fully expect them to beat McDonogh.
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

Terps22 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 am I've always been under the impression the Saints fly under the radar. They never seem to garner much pre-season hype or attention from any lax publications based in Baltimore. To my recollection, they were not even ranked in any pre-season polls...
Isn't it funny how this always seems to happen? In 2015 the Saints had FOUR future professional players on the roster and the Baltimore experts called them a "dark horse" and discounted them through the final minute of the final game... C'mon man, I thought you were supposed to be expert talent evaluators... the talent on that roster was off the charts but didn't fit the narrative I guess.

This year the Saints entered the season with a bunch of returning starters from a playoff season and were coming off a JV Championship yet factored in no expert preseason rankings. Five MIAA teams ranked in the national 25 pre season 2022 and two of them didn't even make the playoffs.... Yet here we are.

As you know, the Saints actually feed off this and have embraced it... it's great motivation. The small, scrappy parish school that does not permit holdbacks, has no out-of-state players and does not have a flashy coach doesn't really fit the Baltimore narrative but it's impossible to ignore the player development and cohesiveness down in Annapolis.

Congrats to two excellent teams for making the finals... Looking forward to Friday!
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

St Mary’s is a program all should strive for. Schools that encourage holdbacks and recruit, should be in a separate league.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Who watched the end of the McD vs BL game. Did he get the shot off in time? The only replay I saw, didn’t show the clock.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Lax_04 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:56 am
Terps22 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:12 am I've always been under the impression the Saints fly under the radar. They never seem to garner much pre-season hype or attention from any lax publications based in Baltimore. To my recollection, they were not even ranked in any pre-season polls...
Isn't it funny how this always seems to happen? In 2015 the Saints had FOUR future professional players on the roster and the Baltimore experts called them a "dark horse" and discounted them through the final minute of the final game... C'mon man, I thought you were supposed to be expert talent evaluators... the talent on that roster was off the charts but didn't fit the narrative I guess.

This year the Saints entered the season with a bunch of returning starters from a playoff season and were coming off a JV Championship yet factored in no expert preseason rankings. Five MIAA teams ranked in the national 25 pre season 2022 and two of them didn't even make the playoffs.... Yet here we are.

As you know, the Saints actually feed off this and have embraced it... it's great motivation. The small, scrappy parish school that does not permit holdbacks, has no out-of-state players and does not have a flashy coach doesn't really fit the Baltimore narrative but it's impossible to ignore the player development and cohesiveness down in Annapolis.

Congrats to two excellent teams for making the finals... Looking forward to Friday!
Same thing happened in 2009. Preseason predictions had the Saints anywhere from 6th to 10th. They went 15-2, with their only losses by a goal to eventual national #1 Gilman and to Calvert Hall in the semis. Their only other close games were a late, one goal win against BL and an OT win against CH when they had been ahead 8-1 at the half. I think their final national rank was #5.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

… relax. Strawman argument, Baltimore people know STM and Annapolis develops good players however they have won 1 MIAA championship over the last 20 years. Not exactly a powerhouse and so I can understand why they may be overlooked. Stop making it an Annapolis vs Baltimore thing. I consider Spaulding an Annapolis team and they were highly touted and nationally ranked.

And from the stuff I’ve heard about STM (I lived in Annapolis growing up and all my best friends went there) it isn’t perfect or some place everyone should “strive” to be like.
Lax_04

Post by Lax_04 »

masondixonlax wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:18 am

… relax. Strawman argument, Baltimore people know STM and Annapolis develops good players however they have won 1 MIAA championship over the last 20 years. Not exactly a powerhouse and so I can understand why they may be overlooked. Stop making it an Annapolis vs Baltimore thing. I consider Spaulding an Annapolis team and they were highly touted and nationally ranked.

And from the stuff I’ve heard about STM (I lived in Annapolis growing up and all my best friends went there) it isn’t perfect or some place everyone should “strive” to be like.
We might need to check your "I lived in Annapolis growing up" credentials because no one in Annapolis considers Spaulding an Annapolis team. :lol:
noonan5

Post by noonan5 »

Jumbo wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:11 am Who watched the end of the McD vs BL game. Did he get the shot off in time? The only replay I saw, didn’t show the clock.
No. Watching from the stands it sure looked and sounded like the horn went off while ball still in stick. Watching the replay in slow motion several times also suggests this (IMO). That said, it was also close enough in real time that it's going to go either way, especially given the moment. There were several little things (ref calls or plays) in the last couple minutes both sides could point to that made a difference in that outcome, aside from the last shot. Very close, very good game.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

[/quote]

$palding is in Glen Burnie. If they are in Annapolis - McDonogh is in Arbutus. Silly rabbit.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

SkipPass wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:36 am.
$palding is in Glen Burnie. If they are in Annapolis - McDonogh is in Arbutus. Silly rabbit.
I was going to say, that basically makes McDonough a DC school
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I don't see the controversy. That's a goal...

https://twitter.com/upstreamlax/status/ ... 6070810627
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Spalding is 14 miles to Baltimore, 17 miles to Annapolis. Considering that basically all the MIAA A teams are *in* Baltimore, it's not crazy to call them an Annapolis team. not accurate but not crazy.
Caddy Day
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:04 pm Spalding is 14 miles to Baltimore, 17 miles to Annapolis. Considering that basically all the MIAA A teams are *in* Baltimore, it's not crazy to call them an Annapolis team. not accurate but not crazy.
And John Carroll is 28 miles to Baltimore. 56 Miles to Annapolis. So I guess they are the Northern Baltimore team? Bel Air team?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:03 pm I don't see the controversy. That's a goal...

https://twitter.com/upstreamlax/status/ ... 6070810627
Horn says goal
clock (on video) says no goal

In any event, its a game winner. If it where a pro game with review, clearly no goal assuming clock is accurate.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:04 pm Spalding is 14 miles to Baltimore, 17 miles to Annapolis. Considering that basically all the MIAA A teams are *in* Baltimore, it's not crazy to call them an Annapolis team. not accurate but not crazy.
It’s across the road from the Glen Burnie zip code. Try again.
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

Spalding draws the vast majority of it's students from Anne Arundel County, so that is the community it represents. It is considered by most as an Annapolis school - assumingly for that reason. By the way, the school address 8080 New Cut Road, Severn, MD.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

KI Dock Bar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:29 pm Spalding draws the vast majority of it's students from Anne Arundel County, so that is the community it represents. It is considered by most as an Annapolis school - assumingly for that reason. By the way, the school address 8080 New Cut Road, Severn, MD.
^^^ a bunch of my neighbors went to spading (in Annapolis). Definitely thought of as more of an Annapolis school

If that’s the one point you’re focusing on then you’re missing the main point I as trying to make

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”