**********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
gymman1031

**********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

Post by gymman1031 »

I know the 2021 season just ended. However, I am already counting the days until the beginning of the 2022 season. I know a ton can happen. But any predictions?
kramerica.inc

Re: **********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

Post by kramerica.inc »

New coaches at Gilly and St. Paul's.
After the success and competitiveness of this year, hearing rumblings of expanded playoffs moving forward too.
Not a bad idea given how competitive this year and the playoffs were. After all, a 5 seed won whole thing and even the lowest seeds had games where they gave top teams scares. This is a heckuva conference. The level of play is so high. Fun to watch.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:11 am New coaches at Gilly and St. Paul's.
After the success and competitiveness of this year, hearing rumblings of expanded playoffs moving forward too.
Not a bad idea given how competitive this year and the playoffs were. After all, a 5 seed won whole thing and even the lowest seeds had games where they gave top teams scares. This is a heckuva conference. The level of play is so high. Fun to watch.
Expanding the playoffs is going to draw a lot of discussions. Even if more people are for it, there are at least a handful(not including me) who would be against it.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Probably right with the push back.
But there are 11 teams in the conference.
I could see at least 6, possibly 7, being for it.

BL
McD
CH
Loy
Spal
Sev
St M
JC
StP
Gil
MSJ
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 pm Probably right with the push back.

BL
McD
CH
Loy
Spal
Sev
St M
JC
StP
Gil
MSJ
I agree. Since the MIAA began in 1994 up until this year, six teams made the playoffs.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:51 pm Probably right with the push back.

BL
McD
CH
Loy
Spal
Sev
St M
JC
StP
Gil
MSJ
I agree. Since the MIAA began in 1994 up until this year, six teams made the playoffs.
Yup. And times change. The conference is supposed to be for ALL its members, not just a handful of schools.

I think the MIAA is at a crossroads. The future will likely depend on their actions now. The rumors I'm hearing from a few places is that overall (not just with lacrosse) schools are not happy with the overall treatment. MIAA leadership better be aware that some schools are not happy with the good ole boy network any longer. This isn't a lacrosse-only discussion. Although it really does show it's head in lacrosse.

There's a reason those same 4-5 schools are in the playoffs every year. And its not because they "develop talent." Spalding decided to play the same game this year that 4-5 schools have been playing for the past 3 decades. And it was hilarious to watch some of the old guard complain about it. Good on the Cavs.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Curious as to where the dissatisfaction is coming from, Athletic Directors, School Heads, parents, (of course parents)? What are the specific complaints. Not questioning any of this, just trying to focus it and get more specifics.

Also wondering what you see as Spalding doing that others had done, recruiting, coaches' salaries?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Andersen wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:48 am Curious as to where the dissatisfaction is coming from, Athletic Directors, School Heads, parents, (of course parents)? What are the specific complaints. Not questioning any of this, just trying to focus it and get more specifics.

Also wondering what you see as Spalding doing that others had done, recruiting, coaches' salaries?
ADs, school heads and parents. Mostly the complaints are inequal treatment of schools in regard to bylaws and standards. Inequal treatment of sports. Inequal treatment and opportunity between sports divisions.

Quite simply, the A league in many of the sports have been allowed to run amok by a handful of programs who like to do whatever they want. They work in the gray area of MIAA bylaws. And it's been happening pretty regularly in football, basketball and lacrosse. To a lesser extent in soccer and baseball too.

Naming coaches as admissions and financial aid directors to work-around the intent of conference/privacy rules. Non borading schools recruiting kids from out of area. Recruiting kids away from other private schools- Paying for kids tuition, paying for kids housing. Putting kids up with coaches and families. Recruiting kids from attached middle schools. It's been crazy and the wild west.

Spalding had a decent group of talent it had developed but knew it probably couldn't win without a little extra help. So they jumped into the recruiting game just as heavily as the good ole boys. It worked because they had the right kid going through the system and were far enough removed from the Beltway. Time will tell if the infusion of "will" can be sustained or if it was just a one-time deal.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Terrific reply, thank you.

Without limits on this athletic "arms race", it seems pretty obvious that those without the resources or those focused on the overall balanced educational program of the school are at a significant disadvantage. Not a good situation but not sure of the remedies other than better enforcement or forming a new league. Is there the will for this from the powers that be, i.e. the school heads?
Gillytech

Post by Gillytech »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:22 am
Andersen wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:48 am
Naming coaches as admissions and financial aid directors to work-around the intent of conference/privacy rules. Non borading schools recruiting kids from out of area. Recruiting kids away from other private schools- Paying for kids tuition, paying for kids housing. Putting kids up with coaches and families. Recruiting kids from attached middle schools. It's been crazy and the wild west.
Everything you mention above has been going on since the late 80s/early 90s unless it was happening earlier.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

All MIAA

A CONFERENCE

Archbishop Spalding
Michael Weisshaar
Alex Ross
Josh Tang

Boys’ Latin School
Dominic Pietramala
Ben Smith
Eddie Loyd

Calvert Hall College
Ethan Long
Mic Kelly

Gilman School
Remi Reynolds
Kyle Morris

Loyola Blakefield
Kevin Tucker
AJ Larkin
Billy Dwan

McDonogh School
Jack Horrigan
McCabe Millon
Dante Trader
Malachi Jones

St. Mary’s
Colin Burlace
Nick Kaufman
Tyler Barnett

St. Paul’s School
Noah Chizmar

Severn School
Jacob Todd
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MIAA high school playoff game outdraws PLL opening week:

https://twitter.com/laxreporter/status/ ... 37259?s=21
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:30 am
gymman1031 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:29 pm

BL
McD
CH
Loy
Spal
Sev
St M
JC
StP
Gil
MSJ
Yup. And times change. The conference is supposed to be for ALL its members, not just a handful of schools.

I think the MIAA is at a crossroads. The future will likely depend on their actions now. The rumors I'm hearing from a few places is that overall (not just with lacrosse) schools are not happy with the overall treatment. MIAA leadership better be aware that some schools are not happy with the good ole boy network any longer. This isn't a lacrosse-only discussion. Although it really does show it's head in lacrosse.

There's a reason those same 4-5 schools are in the playoffs every year. And its not because they "develop talent." Spalding decided to play the same game this year that 4-5 schools have been playing for the past 3 decades. And it was hilarious to watch some of the old guard complain about it. Good on the Cavs.
So, which schools are we suggesting aren't 'happy', aren't part of 'good ole boy network'?

I can understand why Gilman and Loyola might not like BL adding boarding (ugh), McD's boarding and both McD's and CHC's aggressive out of state recruiting, but Gilman and Loyola are surely part of that same 'ole boy' network. Certainly St. Paul's has been very aggressive in lax recruiting and part of that network as well. Is St. Mary's not?

Are we saying Spalding, Severn, St. Joe, JC aren't happy? Aren't being 'treated' fairly?

I do agree that the MIAA has been incredibly weak in enforcing the standards that it supposedly has, the 'gray areas'...
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No, I’m hearing that a lot of schools including Spalding, JC, Gilman, Severn, St. Joe, are not happy with the MIAA. For lacrosse and their lack of policing. Then you have many of those same schools plus Loyola not happy because of the MIAA’s blind eye in other sports.
But this isn’t a lax only issue. It’s happening in other sports too. And don’t forget, there are a ton more B and C school members than A. And many of those schools aren’t happy with the lack of oversight and lack of opportunities for their smaller programs. The league needs to wake up and stop taking its members for granted or it will be replaced.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 am No, I’m hearing that a lot of schools including Spalding, JC, Gilman, Severn, St. Joe, are not happy with the MIAA. For lacrosse and their lack of policing. Then you have many of those same schools plus Loyola not happy because of the MIAA’s blind eye in other sports.
But this isn’t a lax only issue. It’s happening in other sports too. And don’t forget, there are a ton more B and C school members than A. And many of those schools aren’t happy with the lack of oversight and lack of opportunities for their smaller programs. The league needs to wake up and stop taking its members for granted or it will be replaced.
Haven't been impressed with the 'organization' for quite some time.
The caliber of sports very much so a fan, but the org has often been a toothless mess.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Agree! I personally don't think the league has been intentionally trying to promote or deny sports, schools or opportunities, But it has limited resources.

Case in point- the MIAA lacrosse championships at Navy in Annapolis were fantastic. It was an event that was picked up, publicized, and the costs for the event mostly covered by the promotion group who had tv sponsors. Awesome for those kids in the A and B conference. But the kids in the C conference had to play their championship at...Curley. Curley has a fine stadium, but its certainly not Navy.

Taking it a step further, the disparity grows.

I understand that you cant sell something that doesn't have an audience, but ensuring each sport/championship has at least a baseline, appropriate recognition, or championship opportunity is important and a real concern of the stakeholder schools/parents.

This does not appear to be the case, and the concern was exacerbated by the pandemic and closures. Each sport was handled in VERY different ways in the MIAA. Even sports played in the same season.

Again, it comes down to having some semblance of organization and real leadership. Otherwise, why have a conference at all?

Again, another league-wide issue is lack of rule enforcement. Each school is allowed to operate under their own auspices for recruiting, eligibility etc. And again, I don't think this is a conscious effort to "play favorites" with league members, but that the league doesn't want to penalize or come down on its own members.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

McD vs CH from the NHSLS Semifinals on ESPN U right now.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:41 pm Agree! I personally don't think the league has been intentionally trying to promote or deny sports, schools or opportunities, But it has limited resources.

Case in point- the MIAA lacrosse championships at Navy in Annapolis were fantastic. It was an event that was picked up, publicized, and the costs for the event mostly covered by the promotion group who had tv sponsors. Awesome for those kids in the A and B conference. But the kids in the C conference had to play their championship at...Curley. Curley has a fine stadium, but its certainly not Navy.

Taking it a step further, the disparity grows.

I understand that you cant sell something that doesn't have an audience, but ensuring each sport/championship has at least a baseline, appropriate recognition, or championship opportunity is important and a real concern of the stakeholder schools/parents.

This does not appear to be the case, and the concern was exacerbated by the pandemic and closures. Each sport was handled in VERY different ways in the MIAA. Even sports played in the same season.

Again, it comes down to having some semblance of organization and real leadership. Otherwise, why have a conference at all?

Again, another league-wide issue is lack of rule enforcement. Each school is allowed to operate under their own auspices for recruiting, eligibility etc. And again, I don't think this is a conscious effort to "play favorites" with league members, but that the league doesn't want to penalize or come down on its own members.
My sense is that no one is actually in control, and so each school acts in its self-interest and doesn't want to be challenged for such, so they don't establish any hard lines, avoid the necessity for adjudication of issues.

On a more simple level and very specific to lax A Conference (this thread), the season individual honors is often a mess. I recall one year that the list failed to have even a single goalie on the list...despite multiple tenders from that season (and senior class) ultimately winning D1 conference honors in college and another being the starting tender for the DIII championship team. How did that happen? That year, each coach nominated a set # of players based upon their relative season performance, and if no one nominates a tender as one of their top 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 (at most) players, ahh well...no goalie. Lots of attack men, couple middies and defensemen...whoever the coach nominates... oops. Not that this mess couldn't have been predicted, but what was obvious was that no one was in charge to address the miss when it happened. This sort of thing doesn't always happen, but if such a simple thing doesn't have a way to be addressed better, the actual thorny stuff will just get swept under the rug completely.

Just checked this year's list...not even by position, just a list of names under each school. They've totally punted the notion of selecting a first and second "team" of players. https://varsitysportsnetwork.com/all-miaa-lacrosse/
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Congrats to the best lacrosse player in the state of MD:

https://varsitysportsnetwork.com/spaldi ... lly-award/
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:59 am Congrats to the best lacrosse player in the state of MD:

https://varsitysportsnetwork.com/spaldi ... lly-award/
Perhaps he will be as hyped of an incoming player as Towson has ever had.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”